You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 126>
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Farrelk Farrelk wrote:

Originally posted by muscles muscles wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

This. What's the point in going to matches if we don't believe we can do it.

I dont think we can do it but im going anyway, ya never know

Same as. How many thought we would beat Holland in '01 or Germany in '15? Not many. All we can do is hope for something similar. 

It’s not going to require a performance anywhere near the level as those historic wins over Holland or Germany. 

A performance akin to the Bosnia 2-0, Wales 1-0 or Austria 1-0 will suffice - Denmark are closer to those teams in terms of ability than Germany or Holland. 

You know what I mean though? We had the advantage after the Bosnia game,  other two were away days. All I'm asking for is one of those special home games 
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 12:22am

Same as. How many thought we would beat Holland in '01 or Germany in '15? Not many. All we can do is hope for something similar. 

It’s not going to require a performance anywhere near the level as those historic wins over Holland or Germany. 

A performance akin to the Bosnia 2-0, Wales 1-0 or Austria 1-0 will suffice - Denmark are closer to those teams in terms of ability than Germany or Holland. 

You know what I mean though? We had the advantage after the Bosnia game,  other two were away days. All I'm asking for is one of those special home games 

I’m agreeing with you in that it will have to be a top performance to win, but it’s defo not as unlikely as the Germany result, whatever about Holland when we had a very good team. 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 12:39am

Did you not say earlier you have 5 hotels booked with free cancellation in Cardiff, 6 in Bratislava, 3 in Belfast, an Uber driver on standby to bring you from Bratislava to Zenica, €30 return flights to Cardiff and an air coach ticket to Belfast ? You must have very little faith
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 12:41am

If we play like we did in Cardiff we could get beat 5-1 again. A complete smash and grab. The last 30 minutes we were under sustained pressure and weren’t in the game
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:05am

Yes, Denmark are at about the level of a Sweden, Serbia, Wales, Austria etc

The way fans are talking about the game is as if we need to beat one of the heavyweights like Germany or France. Maybe the 5-1 in 2017 is colouring people's views but the Danes got lucky that day.....they were good but we were atrocious and well below par.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Did you not say earlier you have 5 hotels booked with free cancellation in Cardiff, 6 in Bratislava, 3 in Belfast, an Uber driver on standby to bring you from Bratislava to Zenica, €30 return flights to Cardiff and an air coach ticket to Belfast ? You must have very little faith

I do believe that is a word for word quote, yes.
Farrelk View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Yes, Denmark are at about the level of a Sweden, Serbia, Wales, Austria etc

The way fans are talking about the game is as if we need to beat one of the heavyweights like Germany or France. Maybe the 5-1 in 2017 is colouring people's views but the Danes got lucky that day.....they were good but we were atrocious and well below par.

They were lucky to progress at 1-5, but not lucky to progress full stop. I'm praying for a miracle too but it's a huge huge ask
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:45am
So what teams missed out on qualification and a playoff place??
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 2:43am
Wales will be at home in the play off semi final unless Ireland beat Denmark on monday. Then they'll be away to Denmark?

Not sure if that's right, but that's what they're saying over on apostle.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 17 Nov 2019 at 2:43am
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 4:22am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Wales will be at home in the play off semi final unless Ireland beat Denmark on monday. Then they'll be away to Denmark?

Not sure if that's right, but that's what they're saying over on apostle.

More or less. If Hungary beat Wales, and Ireland beat Denmark, Wales can only be away to Denmark, home to Slovakia, or home to a team in Playoff path A, one of Bulgaria or Israel (think Iceland would be at home to Romania in that scenario).

If Wales Hungary is a draw (and Slovakia beat Azerbaijan at home) , Slovakia qualify on their H2H V Wales. In that case, Wales play Denmark away if Ireland beat Denmark, if Ireland don't beat Denmark, Wales are at home to Ireland. I think.....

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 7:46am

Bosnia yes. A performance like Wales ends in defeat 7 or 8 times out of ten, was pure smash and grab. Austria was deserved but we rode our luck at the end and they should have equalised at the death. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Bosnia yes. A performance like Wales ends in defeat 7 or 8 times out of ten, was pure smash and grab. Austria was deserved but we rode our luck at the end and they should have equalised at the death. 

Without being too pessimistic (more realistic) a key point here is that Austria was 3 years ago, Bosnia 4... we have had 11 competitive matches since Austria against similar opposition and we have only won the aforementioned smash and grab in Wales. 
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:45am
Group B the only one relevant to the playoffs today.

Portugal qualify leaves 3 Path A places to be filled by lower NL teams and puts Serbia away to Norway in playoffs.

CR7 also chasing goal 99 and 100.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 17 Nov 2019 at 8:52am
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Greece
Albania
Montenegro
Cyprus
Estonia
Slovenia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan
Moldova
Gibraltar
Faroe Islands
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Andorra
Malta
San Marino
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 9:38am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Greece
Albania
Montenegro
Cyprus
Estonia
Slovenia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan
Moldova
Gibraltar
Faroe Islands
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Andorra
Malta
San Marino

Sad times for the Baltic states.

Greece are by far the biggest nation who are out at this stage, especially as winners only 15 years ago.

Still a bit strange how difficult it is to be eliminated from this competition.

Someone said a few posts back glad Finland finally made it. It sounded like they've been banging away coming close to qualifying for decades.I can't remember them challenging in a group or coming near at all. The constant dumbing down of Euro qualification still leaves a bit of a bad taste.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 17 Nov 2019 at 9:39am
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:00am

Greece
Albania
Montenegro
Cyprus
Estonia
Slovenia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan
Moldova
Gibraltar
Faroe Islands
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Andorra
Malta
San Marino

Greece are by far the biggest nation who are out at this stage, especially as winners only 15 years ago.

Someone said a few posts back glad Finland finally made it. It sounded like they've been banging away coming close to qualifying for decades.I can't remember them challenging in a group or coming near at all. The constant dumbing down of Euro qualification still leaves a bit of a bad taste.

It feels like it's impossible to be eliminated from the competition LOL

120 Nations League group games (excluding the tournament that Portugal won). There will then be 12 playoff matches. These playoffs take place after playing 250 Euro 2020 qualifying group matches.

It will have effectively taken 382 matches to get the 24 qualifying teams out of a possible 55. Better still, before the playoffs next March take place there will have been 370 matches played and only 19 teams will be eliminated out of the 55 by that point. What a setup.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Greece
Albania
Montenegro
Cyprus
Estonia
Slovenia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan
Moldova
Gibraltar
Faroe Islands
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Andorra
Malta
San Marino

It feels like it's impossible to be eliminated from the competition LOL

120 Nations League group games (excluding the tournament that Portugal won). There will then be 12 playoff matches. These playoffs take place after playing 250 Euro 2020 qualifying group matches.

It will have effectively taken 382 matches to get the 24 qualifying teams out of a possible 55. Better still, before the playoffs next March take place there will have been 370 matches played and only 19 teams will be eliminated out of the 55 by that point. What a setup.
LOL That’s f**king mental. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:05am
I think they've made an absolute balls of it to be honest.

Expanding the number of teams in the tournament to 24 wasn't a great move in the first place, but there was nothing wrong with the top two teams going through and the best eight of the third placed teams being guaranteed a play-off place.

Essentially they've change the whole format so that one team from the likes of Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus etc can qualify.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 126>
  Share Topic