Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 126>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

One leg SF, one leg final, 3 days apart. One of the 2 semi finalists will play in the final at home. 

How are they intending on selling final tickets etc. for a venue that isn't known? It'd be some ball ache for away supporters trying to arrange logistics for the final with only 3 days notice. 

I'd imagine a draw would be made for the final host
Sponsored Links

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

If we beat Bulgaria on Tuesday, there'll be nobody posting on this one as we'll all be talking about topping the group!

eh?
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:56am
lads thanks for all the posts explaining this. 

I am one thick **** , i havent a clue whats going on 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:41pm
I've read everything on here and I'm lost 

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:54pm
Some amount of giant killing this weekend. A few Accas been ruined I'd say. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:14pm
Edit

Edited by irishmufc - 09 Sep 2019 at 7:15pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:58pm
Looking at the Wiki table am I right in thinking that Wales and the Czechs will go into the B playoff rather than being bumped to A? That would seem fairest?

If that logic is right, Israel would go to B playoff and Hungary to A?

Edited by VanBosch - 09 Sep 2019 at 10:07pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Looking at the Wiki table am I right in thinking that Wales and the Czechs will go into the B playoff rather than being bumped to A? That would seem fairest?

If that logic is right, Israel would go to B playoff and Hungary to B?

In short, No. The 'as things stand' table is of little use right now, though it will be 100% accurate at the end LOL. The simplest example here is the North. They currently occupy an automatic spot, but probably need 4 points off the Dutch to keep it. This is unlikely. Bosnia are also in very deep trouble and look like they are headed for a B playoff. So to make any kind of realistic prediction, you have to allow for things that are likely to happen. 

Bosnia have to stay in B. NI are near certain to be a B team that doesn't qualify. If the Czechs and Wales were the only other teams not qualifying out of B, that would leave 4 teams in B, out of which a playoff pathway must be formed from those 4. This would take the form of a rankings based draw, so it would be NI away to Bosnia, and Czechs away to Wales, simple as that. 

Where it gets complicated is if more than 4 teams from B don't qualify automatically. Say ourselves and Turkey join the above 4. 

In that case, Bosnia stay in B and are ranked 1. Three more teams from B are drawn out of Cze, Wal, Tur, Ire & NI to form, playoff pathway B. If NI are drawn in B, they have to be 4, they're the lowest ranked.  If we are drawn in B with NI & Bosnia, we have to be 3. If we are drawn in B without NI, we are ranked 4.

The remaining 2 teams in that scenario not drawn in B go to playoff pathway A, possibly with 2 other C teams if all A teams have qualified automatically. Playoff A is where Israel & Hungary would end up in that scenario, both away in SF. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:39pm
Regarding possible B teams not qualifying automatically; 
Bosnia- in serious bother
Czechs- in a bit of bother
Denmark- in a bit of bother, though if they get out of it, we or Swiss replace them in either A (Swiss) or B (us)
A minimum of one, and possibly 2 of Croatia, Wales & Slovakia end up in playoffs - whether A or B depends on exactly who qualifies. Big shock for Croatia this evening too. 
Sweden- will probably make it, but nowhere near over the line yet
Austria- have slipped out of automatic spot right now, probably still be favourites to make it, but not done yet
Turkey- might get there ahead of France or Iceland yet, but that merely puts one of FR & Ice in league A playoff.
NI- proper fcuked. 

Edit- basically all that means is it is quite likely more than 4 B teams won't qualify automatically, which is good for us if we end up in the playoffs, as it increases our chances of a home draw. If exactly 4 B teams don't qualify and we are one of those, we have an away SF no matter what. 

There is no scenario that I can see that only 3 teams are left out of B, as that would mean 9 B teams qualifying automatically and 11 A teams. With the Croatia and France groups the way they are, if those 2 qualify from A, it means more than 3 teams would have to be in B at the end. 

Edited by deise316 - 09 Sep 2019 at 10:53pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:46pm
Scotland seem f**ked in the grp stage but have a guranteed League C playoff 

So a league D team goes through to the finals through the League D playoffs and Georgia are guaranteed to be there 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

So a league D team goes through to the finals through the League D playoffs and Georgia are guaranteed to be there 

They have a very good chance too, as the strongest team in D (Kosovo) could well qualify automatically. Georgia would be at home to Lux in SF if Kosovo qualify automatically, and play one of North Macedonia or Belarus in playoff D final. Wish our permutations were as handy.

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:04pm

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

They have a very good chance too, as the strongest team in D (Kosovo) could well qualify automatically. Georgia would be at home to Lux in SF if Kosovo qualify automatically, and play one of North Macedonia or Belarus in playoff D final. Wish our permutations were as handy.

Yeah steepy gits would love Georgia to qualify tho 

VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:06pm

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

If that logic is right, Israel would go to B playoff and Hungary to B?

In short, No. The 'as things stand' table is of little use right now, though it will be 100% accurate at the end LOL. The simplest example here is the North. They currently occupy an automatic spot, but probably need 4 points off the Dutch to keep it. This is unlikely. Bosnia are also in very deep trouble and look like they are headed for a B playoff. So to make any kind of realistic prediction, you have to allow for things that are likely to happen. 

Bosnia have to stay in B. NI are near certain to be a B team that doesn't qualify. If the Czechs and Wales were the only other teams not qualifying out of B, that would leave 4 teams in B, out of which a playoff pathway must be formed from those 4. This would take the form of a rankings based draw, so it would be NI away to Bosnia, and Czechs away to Wales, simple as that. 

Where it gets complicated is if more than 4 teams from B don't qualify automatically. Say ourselves and Turkey join the above 4. 

In that case, Bosnia stay in B and are ranked 1. Three more teams from B are drawn out of Cze, Wal, Tur, Ire & NI to form, playoff pathway B. If NI are drawn in B, they have to be 4, they're the lowest ranked.  If we are drawn in B with NI & Bosnia, we have to be 3. If we are drawn in B without NI, we are ranked 4.

The remaining 2 teams in that scenario not drawn in B go to playoff pathway A, possibly with 2 other C teams if all A teams have qualified automatically. Playoff A is where Israel & Hungary would end up in that scenario, both away in SF. 

Cheers - I should have said if that was the table after all games were played. But I think you are saying which teams go up to A and which teams stay in B is a draw? I thought it was based on rankings.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:11pm
No, if you scroll back a bit and look at the link Flaghunter posted and look at pages 40-42 it becomes a bit clearer. I had that thought initially as well, as did Collum. The draw for the playoff pathway (ie when the teams are down to 4 and drawn into SF's) is rankings based, but the draw for whether a team goes to B or A is not ranking based, and B is drawn first- with the remainder going to A. The B draw looks like Bosnia plus 3 other B teams basically.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:14pm
every time I think I have this figured out something else comes up that confuses me. SSN have just reported that as things stand Scotland would play Norway in their playoff semi final - if that's correct my whole understanding of the system is wrong...surely Scotland can't play Norway in their semi based on where they finished in the Nations League? 

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 Sep 2019 at 11:15pm
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:15pm
Cheers, the below on UEFA is very mid leading then!!

If a UEFA Nations League group winner has already qualified via the European Qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league. If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall UEFA Nations League rankings.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

every time I think I have this figured out something else comes up that confuses me. SSN have just reported that as things stand Scotland would play Norway in their playoff semi final - if that's correct my whole understanding of the system is wrong...surely Scotland can't play Norway in their semi based on where they finished in the Nations League? 

I wouldn't have thought so either- their most likely opponents are probably Bulgaria (Finland qualifying automatically). 

VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:22pm

No, if you scroll back a bit and look at the link Flaghunter posted and look at pages 40-42 it becomes a bit clearer. I had that thought initially as well, as did Collum. The draw for the playoff pathway (ie when the teams are down to 4 and drawn into SF's) is rankings based, but the draw for whether a team goes to B or A is not ranking based, and B is drawn first- with the remainder going to A. The B draw looks like Bosnia plus 3 other B teams basically.

Does slide 16 not say it’s based on ranking?

Edit: the UEFA website has a “as it stands” and aligns with you, that a draw decides who goes to a and who to C, in their example.

Edited by VanBosch - 09 Sep 2019 at 11:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 126>
  Share Topic