You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 126>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Anyone know when the actual draw for the groups is for this?

Rankings till October will be used to determine which teams are in which league, and we're most likely in B.

Matches in September, October and November 2018.

So I would assume the draw will be made somewhere at the end of this year. But haven't found anything online yet.

I don't know when the draw will take place.  However it is the rankings after the November playoffs that will be used.  Lots of info here.

Yeah, but the playoffs will not be counted in the ranking.

According to the 6th bullet point on the link above to UEFA they will be counted. 

• In the first edition of the competition, the participating sides will be classified according to the UEFA national team coefficient rankings (ranking as per 15 November 2017, i.e. conclusion of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers)

Sponsored Links

BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 3:14pm
Any idea which league Ireland will appear in after the final double World Cup qualifiers?

Is it safe to say we will drop from League B into League C with Serbia going the other way?
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

Any idea which league Ireland will appear in after the final double World Cup qualifiers?

Is it safe to say we will drop from League B into League C with Serbia going the other way?
Looks like we'll be still in League B, just about - according to FootballSeeings.com below (updated on Tuesday after that night's games):

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:31am
Moldova win should see us cement that place you'd imagine
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:37am
What's the motivation to be in B. You play less games. Is there any benefit to bring in B as opposed to being in C
AKA pedantic kunt
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

What's the motivation to be in B. You play less games. Is there any benefit to bring in B as opposed to being in C

gspain gives a good reason a few posts above, and having considered it last night, I tend to agree with him.

I had found the whole League thing confusing, so read up on it last night and it all makes perfect sense (at last).
I suppose we couldnt take for granted winning a group in League C given our dearth of talent (which is being overlooked at the moment) and therefore being in B could be beneficial as we may find that the team who finish above us in our group actually qualify automatically anyway through the main qualifiers, thus giving us a a better chance of a second shot at it.

Serbia will be in League C. I wouldnt say we'd be guarenteed to finish ahead of them in a group.

The flipside to Gspain's point tho is that the playoffs are bound to be trickier in League B, tho in reality as he points out, most of the good sides in League B will have qualified automatically through the main process.

Edited by rolo - 07 Sep 2017 at 11:50am
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

gspain gives a good reason a few posts above, and having considered it last night, I tend to agree with him.

I had found the whole League thing confusing, so read up on it last night and it all makes perfect sense (at last).
I suppose we couldnt take for granted winning a group in League C given our dearth of talent (which is being overlooked at the moment) and therefore being in B could be beneficial as we may find that the team who finish above us in our group actually qualify automatically anyway through the main qualifiers, thus giving us a a better chance of a second shot at it.

Serbia will be in League C. I wouldnt say we'd be guarenteed to finish ahead of them in a group.

The flipside to Gspain's point tho is that the playoffs are bound to be trickier in League B, tho in reality as he points out, most of the good sides in League B will have qualified automatically through the main process.

Good point. The lower leagues will be fighting for the automatic spot to the euros than the higher leagues.

If anyone is confused by the format (I was when reading the UEFA website), the Wikipedia page is actually better and easier to understand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Nations_League - link

Edited by BippityBoop - 07 Sep 2017 at 12:01pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 12:15pm

More glamorous games
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

More glamorous games
But we'll only have 4 matches out of the 6 match days which will leave room for a couple of friendlies against even more glamorous teams like...OMAN!!! Big smileLOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:01pm
Could you imagine the anarchy if we drew Wales and Northern Ireland
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:54pm

I'm not quite clear on how the playoffs will work though.

Say, for sake of argument, 10 of the 12 teams in League A qualify through the main qualifying, and 9 of the 12 teams in League B qualify, with 1 from League C.

Are the playoffs as follows:
League A: 11 & 12 + 10 & 11 from League B
League B: 12 + 2, 3 & 4 from League C
League C: 5, 6, 7 & 8 from League C

Or as follows:
League A: 11 & 12 + 6 & 7 from League C
League B: 10, 11 & 12 + 8 from League C
League C: 2, 3, 4 & 5 from League C

It's not really clear at the minute. Obviously there is a big difference. In the first example, the League B teams are, by and large, screwed over (10 & 11 having to play in the League A playoffs), likely having to overcome better teams; in the second example, it's much easier, only having to overcome teams at their own level.

It will happen too; I'd be shocked if 8 or fewer of the teams in League A don't qualify automatically. It's who joins those teams: the best teams in League B who haven't already qualified, or the teams beneath them who wouldn't otherwise be in the playoffs.

It's quite clear each set of playoffs will not contain teams from a higher league (obviously) but it's a question that doesn't have an answer at the minute.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 2:25pm
it's certainly going to be a logistic nightmare.

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I'm not quite clear on how the playoffs will work though.

Say, for sake of argument, 10 of the 12 teams in League A qualify through the main qualifying, and 9 of the 12 teams in League B qualify, with 1 from League C.

Are the playoffs as follows:
League A: 11 & 12 + 10 & 11 from League B
League B: 12 + 2, 3 & 4 from League C
League C: 5, 6, 7 & 8 from League C

Or as follows:
League A: 11 & 12 + 6 & 7 from League C
League B: 10, 11 & 12 + 8 from League C
League C: 2, 3, 4 & 5 from League C

It's not really clear at the minute. Obviously there is a big difference. In the first example, the League B teams are, by and large, screwed over (10 & 11 having to play in the League A playoffs), likely having to overcome better teams; in the second example, it's much easier, only having to overcome teams at their own level.

It will happen too; I'd be shocked if 8 or fewer of the teams in League A don't qualify automatically. It's who joins those teams: the best teams in League B who haven't already qualified, or the teams beneath them who wouldn't otherwise be in the playoffs.

It's quite clear each set of playoffs will not contain teams from a higher league (obviously) but it's a question that doesn't have an answer at the minute.

I don't think it is clear which way they will go.  

I doubt that less than 16 teams from Leagues A & B will qualify for the Euros.  So this should give the other 8 a playoff.

However I assume if you win your mini-league in say League B and don't qualify then you will be in the League B playoffs. 

I'm guessing the weaker teams will be sent up to League A.  So possibly the best 4 in B playoff for a place and the remaining teams not qualified bumped up to A.

A win v Moldova (or Wales) should be enough to play in League B.  

There are of course some funny ones.  We would want to Romania to win v Denmark next month as it might get us a playoff for 2018.  However a Danish win would help keep us in League B.   Albania and Slovenia are unlikely to catch us.  The likes of the Czech Republic could easily get 2 wins next month 

Lithuania will probably move to League C if they beat Malta next month.  Their only realistic chance of going to Euro2020 is to stay in League D.  

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:23pm
The auld perverse incentives
AKA pedantic kunt
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:40pm
If draw was made now we would be in a group with these potential teams 
Russia, Occupied Six Counties of Ulster, Slovakia, Sweden, Netherlands, Ukraine, Bosnia, Austria,Turkey,Denmark and Hungary. I'd like a trip to Bosnia and Slovakia meant to be great trips avoid the Scandinavian countries either Hungary or the Netherlands any excuse to visit Amsterdam.  

I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Russia, Occupied Six Counties of Ulster, Slovakia, Sweden, Netherlands, Ukraine, Bosnia, Austria,Turkey,Denmark and Hungary. I'd like a trip to Bosnia and Slovakia meant to be great trips avoid the Scandinavian countries either Hungary or the Netherlands any excuse to visit Amsterdam.  

Bratislava is a bit of a sh*t hole, wouldn't mind turkey, hungry and the Ukraine plus a trip to the dam speaks for itself.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:54pm
Given our recent form I wouldn't be confident of too many victories in a group with those teams.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Out of that Ukraine and Hungary as never been to either.

Denmark for old times sake.
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 126>
  Share Topic