You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 126>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Steve Staunton
The first Irish player to pass 100 caps too
Not quite Wink
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 4:02pm
Turkey is the game of the year in my opinion, still very cheap route back on the sunday which may compensate for the little extra you will pay to get there. 
theres a good option out on the Thursday too if you think a 65 minute unprotected layover in terminal 1 Munich is achivable 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Turkey is the game of the year in my opinion, still very cheap route back on the sunday which may compensate for the little extra you will pay to get there. 
theres a good option out on the Thursday too if you think a 65 minute unprotected layover in terminal 1 Munich is achivable 
I would be nervous of that Kev. It just takes a few eejits being slow off the plane in front of you, passport control on arrival, a little bit of air traffic control. Then you're sweeneyed. People tend to be sitting on planes 20 minutes before they take off.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:51pm
Yeah, f**k that. I would definitely go for one of the other options.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:23pm
I'm booked up all ready was just putting it out there as an option.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 11:43pm
Question for the lads who have done a good bit of research on this, tis just something I noticed today in the graphical representations of the draw in the papers. An example of it halfway down the page of this article. 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/nations-league-draw-havent-we-met-somewhere-before-466257.html

Our Group 4 League B appears to be linked with the other Group 4's in A, C & D as regard promotion and relegation. 

So after the league is finished, it would appear to me that if we get promoted, we replace one of England, Spain or Croatia, and if we were relegated, join 2 of Serbia, Montenegro, Romania and Lithuania (one of those 4 will be promoted, one will be relegated) and whoever gets promoted out of League D Group 4 (say Armenia). 

If we finish 2nd, we stay where we are and are joined by the team that gets promoted from League C group 4 (Serbia probably favourites there) and the team that gets relegated from Group 4 A league (England, Spain, Croatia). 

Have I that much right so far ? 

I presume that after all that is settled (2022 or something like that) - the Groups (not the leagues) are redrawn, otherwise we would be linked to the same 14 teams forever, just moving up and down within that group, which wouldn't make sense. 

That's something nobody seems to have spotted yet (apologies if incorrect or I've missed it), so anyone with a better notion of how this works than me want to confirm or otherwise ?

Edited by deise316 - 25 Jan 2018 at 11:44pm
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 12:20am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Question for the lads who have done a good bit of research on this, tis just something I noticed today in the graphical representations of the draw in the papers. An example of it halfway down the page of this article. 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/nations-league-draw-havent-we-met-somewhere-before-466257.html

Our Group 4 League B appears to be linked with the other Group 4's in A, C & D as regard promotion and relegation. 

So after the league is finished, it would appear to me that if we get promoted, we replace one of England, Spain or Croatia, and if we were relegated, join 2 of Serbia, Montenegro, Romania and Lithuania (one of those 4 will be promoted, one will be relegated) and whoever gets promoted out of League D Group 4 (say Armenia). 

If we finish 2nd, we stay where we are and are joined by the team that gets promoted from League C group 4 (Serbia probably favourites there) and the team that gets relegated from Group 4 A league (England, Spain, Croatia). 

Have I that much right so far ? 

I presume that after all that is settled (2022 or something like that) - the Groups (not the leagues) are redrawn, otherwise we would be linked to the same 14 teams forever, just moving up and down within that group, which wouldn't make sense. 

That's something nobody seems to have spotted yet (apologies if incorrect or I've missed it), so anyone with a better notion of how this works than me want to confirm or otherwise ?

From my research/understanding of it no that's not the case. It is drawn each time same as this time after all promotions/relegations are taken care of.
I think that article just has a deceiving illustration.
The NL groups will be drawn every few years no different than euro or WC qualifiers.
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 12:31am
Fair enough Scamper, thanks. 

I can see why they would have drawn a chart to illustrate the links to higher & lower leagues, but the way they have done it is very open to misinterpretation, and it's a UEFA chart, not the Examiner's.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:18am
Still quite in the dark about all of this Des , but I am happy to see how it all unfolds from the top of the group looking down as I hope it will be Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:05am
It's only early murph and you are in the west. Give it another twenty mins you should see the light. Or else just pay your electricity bill ya tight git.

Edited by Baldrick - 26 Jan 2018 at 8:05am
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

It's only early murph and you are in the west. Give it another twenty mins you should see the light. Or else just pay your electricity bill ya tight git.
As you well know Baldie we live in a trailer and we only have candles for light Embarrassed
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:00am

I can see why they would have drawn a chart to illustrate the links to higher & lower leagues, but the way they have done it is very open to misinterpretation, and it's a UEFA chart, not the Examiner's.

It certainly is a poorly designed chart. As Scamper says we are not tied to England's group or Serbia's. The positions of countries in the four leagues for the 2020 NL will based on rankings in the same way the inaugural edition is.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:37am
This promotion and relegation thing seems odd. So say you get relegated but you dont go into your new league until 3 or 4 yrs later?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:45am

This promotion and relegation thing seems odd. So say you get relegated but you dont go into your new league until 3 or 4 yrs later?

?? You get relegated or promoted in the 2018 Nations League and you're in your new league in the 2020 Nations League. It's every two years.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:49am
What? What about world cup qualifying?? I thought htis was just for the Euros not the bleedin World Cup!?

Micjey fookin mouse!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:52am

It's not a UEFA chant, Deise. Graphic News have designed it and just credited UEFA as the source for the groups. They've just bundled all the groups that have the same number together.

Top team from each group in B,C and D go up and bottom team from each group in A,B and C go down. Fresh draw for the 2020 edition once that's done. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 11:00am

What? What about world cup qualifying?? I thought htis was just for the Euros not the bleedin World Cup!?

Micjey fookin mouse!

Not confirmed how it'll link with World Cup qualifying yet. Talk that there'll be two spots out of the 13 available for 2022 going to the top two divisions. Other 11 will qualify through normal qualification groups.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Micjey fookin mouse!

Not confirmed how it'll link with World Cup qualifying yet. Talk that there'll be two spots out of the 13 available for 2022 going to the top two divisions. Other 11 will qualify through normal qualification groups.

If that's the outcome, the traditional route to playoffs will be gone and replaced with the Nations cup back door route. It will probably suit us for the expanded Euros but make it even harder for us to qualify for world cups. 
We'd have to win the mini group then defeat two of the other pot winners in one off games to win that pot playoff place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 126>
  Share Topic