Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 126>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 1:51pm
In his defence, I don't think Bale would have been classed as a "world-class game changer" in 2007.
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How will Wales do given how they gave the job to Steve Staunton 2.0?

Crash and burn my friend.

Staunton didn't have a World Class game changer like Bale. 

No but he had Steven Ireland who was scoring for fun. It's mad he has 4 goals in I think 6 games, and then the likes of Duff, R Keane, McGrath only have a few more than himCry
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:05pm
And McGeady has less in about 100 caps
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

No but he had Steven Ireland who was scoring for fun. It's mad he has 4 goals in I think 6 games, and then the likes of Duff, R Keane, McGrath only have a few more than himCry

Some record from Ireland.

He got 2 match winners and all his goals were in competitive games. Pity he's a lunatic......

"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

In his defence, I don't think Bale would have been classed as a "world-class game changer" in 2007.
It was the first time I got to see a Southampton player in the flesh...Definitely a bigger moment for me than the opening of Croker to football for the first timeLOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:08pm
Will these games be shown on RTE or will it be Sky only?
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

It was the first time I got to see a Southampton player in the flesh...Definitely a bigger moment for me than the opening of Croker to football for the first timeLOL

Thought he'd already left by then, no? I remember walking away from that game and hearing a few "£10 million for your man?!" comments. Or was the Spurs deal done in advance and he stayed at Southampton for rest of the season before moving?
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

My understanding is that we must play 2 friendlies as part of the tv deal.  I'm assuming they must be against UEFA opposition.  

So we just need to find somebody else who is also free on those dates.  Oh of course so you might get your wish then albeit not behind closed doors.  Big smile  Although my money would be on Poland.  

Thanks- I'd not thought of the TV deal.

For NI, the other 7 possible European oppo in that slot are England (who won't be interested) and teams that we've played in the last 2 or 3 series.

ps to Steve A'dam- next high profile NI away trip is to play the European champions on 6 April. If passing thru hope to stop for refreshments ;)

Drop me a line, and I look forward to a pint with ya!
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Colum Colum wrote:

Thought he'd already left by then, no? I remember walking away from that game and hearing a few "£10 million for your man?!" comments. Or was the Spurs deal done in advance and he stayed at Southampton for rest of the season before moving?
After some research the game was in March and he moved in May but with Saints money problems it was clear he was going for quite a while
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:21pm

Will these games be shown on RTE or will it be Sky only?

Did Eir not get the rights for friendlies over Sky a few years ago?

Id imagine these would have to be on RTE now that they're recognized as competitive games by UEFA and FIFA.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

If we finish bottom, get a tougher draw for euro's?

We'll be third seeds if we finish bottom. That means, in theory, a tougher draw for qualification proper (i.e. we face a first seed and a second seed, rather than a first seed and a third seed). But we could finish bottom to Wales on goal difference, then draw them anyway, so it might be academic. It could be more than that, of course.

If you accept that seedings invariable correlate with toughness of opponent, then yes, we will get a tougher draw if we finish bottom.

If you accept that, occasionally, seedings aren't perfect, and that it is possible that some third seeds will end up with more favourable draws than some second seeds, then a tougher draw isn't a foregone conclusion.

So, a tougher draw if we finish bottom? Probably, but not definitely.

I'm not sure on the seedings for the draw proper. There will still be 10 groups, so 4 sets of seeds for the Nations league will still have to be divided up into 6 sets of seeds. 

I know winning the group or finishing bottom will place us in the higher or lower group for the next Nations Cup in two years time but does winning the group automatically put us into the first seeds pot for EURO 2020 QF, (along with the four group winners from the A league + 2 others) or does it just add to our points co-efficient as before to determine which seed pot we're in?

10 first seeds = 4 League A Group Winners plus 4 League A Runners Up plus Best 2 League A Third place teams.

10 second seeds = Worst 2 League A Third place teams plus 4 League B Group Winners plus 4 League B Runners Up 

10 third seeds = Worst 2 League B Third place teams plus 4 League C Group Winners plus 4 League C Runners Up 

And so on. Co-efficient doesn't come into it. Austria are currently ranked 13th in UEFA co-efficient and Turkey are 24th. Both are in League B and if Turkey finishes above Austria in the overall League table they'll be ranked above them for Euro 2020 qualifier seeding purposes. 

Rankings in the overall league table when the groups are combined are decided as below. So you could have a situation where a team with 2 points who comes second in their group is ranked above a team with 5 points who finishes third in theirs. 

Position in the group;
Higher number of points;
Superior goal difference;
Higher number of goals scored;
Higher number of goals scored away from home;
Higher number of wins;
Higher number of wins away from home;
Fair play conduct in all group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:28pm
I'm just saying write Wales off at your peril, they've got some very good players, and we can't really score goals. Anyway I wasn't too keen on CPH as a city in general, thinking of driving to Cardiff for the craic and then visiting friends in Bristol, so I'm glad we got Wales.  

Edited by Icy Bread People - 25 Jan 2018 at 2:28pm
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:38pm
Still haven't booked anything for the nation's league games . Id usually be all booked up to go . Wales is easily accessible so no panic on that route . Copenhagen I have done before with the last trip and family time before that . Turkey would be priority over Denmark . a bit of early sun and a bit of chill time with a game thrown in
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:42pm

bit early to be writing off such a great player like giggs who obviously has a bit of backbone to have such a great career. Giggs could be a great manager,next 2 years will tell all.

Not usually one to care about famous people, but it would be great to see Giggs choke. Apart from shagging his brothers wife (for 8 years), his constant moaning about the lack of job opportunities for an ex-player with zero managerial experience is pretty laughable.

Stan played in 3 world cups, is a legend of the Irish game and by all reports a decent man. It’s unfair to compare him to this bellend
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 3:03pm

Stan had Andy Reid and wouldn't even put Wes in the squad.  Tut tut.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 3:05pm
Booked the Cardiff flights but I’m seroiusly thinking of going to Turkey now aswell because have been to both Cardiff and Copenhagen
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

10 first seeds = 4 League A Group Winners plus 4 League A Runners Up plus Best 2 League A Third place teams.

10 second seeds = Worst 2 League A Third place teams plus 4 League B Group Winners plus 4 League B Runners Up 

10 third seeds = Worst 2 League B Third place teams plus 4 League C Group Winners plus 4 League C Runners Up 

And so on. Co-efficient doesn't come into it. Austria are currently ranked 13th in UEFA co-efficient and Turkey are 24th. Both are in League B and if Turkey finishes above Austria in the overall League table they'll be ranked above them for Euro 2020 qualifier seeding purposes. 

Rankings in the overall league table when the groups are combined are decided as below. So you could have a situation where a team with 2 points who comes second in their group is ranked above a team with 5 points who finishes third in theirs. 

Position in the group;
Higher number of points;
Superior goal difference;
Higher number of goals scored;
Higher number of goals scored away from home;
Higher number of wins;
Higher number of wins away from home;
Fair play conduct in all group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system
Cheers for that. So even if we win our group and are promoted to the top pile for the next nations cup, it wont make a jot of difference to our seedings for the next Euro's draw. So long as we don't finish in the worst two bottom slots in pot B, we will remain second seeds.

The actual workings of who takes places at the playoffs are a little more complicated.
My understanding is that the play off placings are determined from the bottom groups up, rather than the other way round in order that a group winner will only play another group winner (from the same pot) or else a third or second place finisher from the pot above/below.
Quote A bottom up process from League D to A is also used to form the four play-off paths. A path is formed with four teams from the same league. If there are more than four teams qualified for the play-offs in a given league, then a draw will occur to determine which teams will participate in the play-off path of that league. The remaining teams will be drawn into paths with teams of higher leagues. This process ensures that the group winners do not have to compete with teams from a higher league. A draw will take place on 22 November 2019 to allocate the teams which did not win their group.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

bit early to be writing off such a great player like giggs who obviously has a bit of backbone to have such a great career. Giggs could be a great manager,next 2 years will tell all.

Not usually one to care about famous people, but it would be great to see Giggs choke. Apart from shagging his brothers wife (for 8 years), his constant moaning about the lack of job opportunities for an ex-player with zero managerial experience is pretty laughable.

Stan played in 3 world cups, is a legend of the Irish game and by all reports a decent man. It’s unfair to compare him to this bellend

The only Irish player to have played in all World Cup games in our history... Unfortunately; a statistic that will stand for another four years at least..

The first Irish player to pass 100 caps too
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 126>
  Share Topic