You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 126>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

So am I right in saying, the winners of leagues A,B,C & D qualify for the Euros? I'm sure I've heard somewhere that a team from League D is guaranteed to qualify. 

I find the whole thing very far from being straightforward but I'm sure I'll understand it better once it starts.
As will UEFA, no doubt. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Sponsored Links

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:07pm

So am I right in saying, the winners of leagues A,B,C & D qualify for the Euros? I'm sure I've heard somewhere that a team from League D is guaranteed to qualify. 

I find the whole thing very far from being straightforward but I'm sure I'll understand it better once it starts.

Will qualifying for the UEFA EURO change?

The changes to UEFA EURO qualifying will make it more streamlined. The equation is now simple: ten groups with the top two teams in each group qualifying automatically, and the other four places being awarded to European Qualifiers play-off winners, in which the 16 group winners of the UEFA Nations League will be in contention.

The UEFA EURO 2020 qualifying draw will be made after the completion of the UEFA Nations League and allow for the four UEFA Nations League Finals participants to be drawn into groups of five teams.

But the key principle of the qualifiers remains: that every team can play every team.

©UEFA.com

The European Qualifiers for UEFA EURO 2020 commence in March 2019. There will be two matchdays in each of March, June, September, October and November 2019. In total, there will be five groups of five teams and five groups of six teams (ten groups in all) playing over ten matchdays (the same number as now). The winner and runner-up in each of the ten groups will qualify automatically for the UEFA EURO 2020 final tournament (June 2020).

• The last four EURO places will be won through the European Qualifiers play-offs, which will take place in March 2020 and which will be contested by the 16 UEFA Nations League group winners.
  • If a group winner has already qualified via the European Qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league. If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall UEFA Nations League ranking.  
  • Each league will have a path of its own and each path will feature two single-leg semi-finals and one single-leg final. The winner of each path will win a ticket to UEFA EURO 2020.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
LenBrennan View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LenBrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

As will UEFA, no doubt. LOL

No only the winner of the 4 groups in League A will qualify for the Euro tournament.

The simple understanding from our point is that if we win our group in League B. We will be promoted to League A for the next year of this. Lets park the Nations league for sec.

We then will go and play the Euro qualifying campaign and try to obtain either of the top 2 spots to qualify automatically for the tournament. If we do not finish in either of the top 2 spots......

We go back to the Nations League route and as winners on League B, we will enter a 1 legged playoff semi final against another League winner from group B and then play the winner of the other semi final in the ultimate playoff final to get the Euro tournament spot for League B.

So from the Nations League. 4 winners of League A groups qualify and each League after that will produce 1 qualifier also.

Added to the 1st/2nd place teams from the Euro Qualifying.

This is it in its simplest form, for now, lets not get into. "what if this team is already qualified etc...."

AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

if that's the case then being in a lower group is better. I heard we knocked Wales out of group A into group B...surely that gives them a better chance to qualify?

Not really as nearly every team in Group A will qualify the old fashioned way so you're essentially guaranteed a play-off, probably against maybe one other group a team and a couple group b's but possibly even lower ranked teams.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

if that's the case then being in a lower group is better. I heard we knocked Wales out of group A into group B...surely that gives them a better chance to qualify?

As par my Football Manager experience of the Nations League. The answer to this is kind of.

The top ranked teams in each league who haven't qualified per the Euro qualifying(Top 2) playoff against each other for the chance to qualify

Most likely the  teams in League A would have already qualified but if not they would get another chance.

For example if we took the recent World Cup Qualifying and the League A and B teams

Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, England, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Netherlands

Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey

The teams in bold would have qualified for qualified already as they finished 1st or 2nd in their group

so that would leave: Netherlands (A) team regardless of where they finished as a playoff team*

lets say League B had groups containing
1.Austria,Sweden, Czech Rep
2.Wales, Rep Ire, Denmark
3.Russia, Ukraine, Turkey
4. Slovakia, Bosnia,N Ire

the bold teams above would have already qualified and would be exempt, so playoffs would go to whoever finished higher in 1. Austria or Czech (lets' say Austria) 2. Wales 3. whoever finished top 4. Bosnia

I'd imagine then and I can stand corrected in this one would be assigned to play Dutch most likely the highest ranked e.g if a team won the group let's say for argument sake Russia.

The next highest would then also get to the playoffs say Ukraine who finished 2nd in that group.

Austria,Wales,Ukraine,Bosnia would then be drawn to play each other in a semi final then final  the winner would take Group B place in Euros

Netherlands would play Russia with winner taking Group A place.

Edited by lassassinblanc - 12 Oct 2017 at 12:18pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:37pm
Prague and Copenhagen would make nice "aways" next autumn.
Don't want any of the others. Bratislava or Moscow in October, no thanks.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:28pm
Lassassin you're basically right but I think in your example the Netherlands get the worst League B teams in their playoffs. The four best ranked League B teams would have the League B playoffs and then the League A playoffs would be the Netherlands v the other three League B teams.

Either that or it's an open draw. I can't remember which. It's definitely not that the highest ranked teams go into the League A playoffs.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Lassassin you're basically right but I think in your example the Netherlands get the worst League B teams in their playoffs. The four best ranked League B teams would have the League B playoffs and then the League A playoffs would be the Netherlands v the other three League B teams.

Either that or it's an open draw. I can't remember which. It's definitely not that the highest ranked teams go into the League A playoffs.

Lets say League B had groups containing
1.Austria,Sweden, Czech Rep
2.Wales, Rep Ire, Denmark
3.Russia, Ukraine, Turkey
4. Slovakia, Bosnia,N Ire

So back to my example if the groups let's say finished exactly like above

then the league B playoffs would be : Austria,Wales,Russia, Bosnia

and Czech Rep, Ukraine and Turkey would join be joined by Netherlands?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:38pm
That's what I understand yeah. It may be an open draw though.

Incidentally, when ranking the teams, the first thing that counts is position. Say you finish top of your mini league with 8 points, you rank better than a team who finish second in their mini league with 9.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:45pm
I suppose we'll find out eventually.

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:45pm
Is there not a playoff round for each league meaning a minnow is guaranteed a spot at the Euros?

This is where I get confused
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Is there not a playoff round for each league meaning a minnow is guaranteed a spot at the Euros?

there is

These are C League teams

Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia, Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway, Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

Again going by WC qualifiers Greece and Serbia wouldn't be part of the playoffs as they would already have qualifed via main qualifers

League D

Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

None of the above finished in 1st or 2nd in qualfiers so then teams who win each of the Nation League groups would playoff in semi then final

argument sake
Macedonia,Armenia, Georgia, Kazahkstan

one of them gets a place in Euros
johnboy View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:03pm
So being in League B is a huge advantage over being in League C. This seems like a great competition to be fair. Gives the minnows a chance and hopefully leaves us with enough of a chance to qualify aswell.
Still prob not as good as 3rd getting a playoff like in 2016, but I'll take it!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

there is

These are C League teams

Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia, Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway, Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

Again going by WC qualifiers Greece and Serbia wouldn't be part of the playoffs as they would already have qualifed via main qualifers

League D

Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

None of the above finished in 1st or 2nd in qualfiers so then teams who win each of the Nation League groups would playoff in semi then final

argument sake

It is brilliant for the smaller nations like Georgia who have a half decent team but will never do it automatic. I wouldn't begrudge one of those teams a place- their fans would be ecstatic lol
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

there is

These are C League teams

League D

argument sake

Picking up your League C example. Say the groups finished like this:
Hungary, Albania, Bulgaria, Cyprus
Greece, Scotland, Montenegro, Estonia
Serbia, Israel, Romania
Slovenia, Norway, Lithuania, Finland

Then Hungary and Slovenia would definitely be in the playoffs. Then the second placed teams would be ranked, based on results against first and third in their groups (as one group doesn't have four sides). Say they were ranked as follows: Albania 6, Scotland 5, Israel 4 (+3 GD), Norway 4 (+1 GD) then Albania and Scotland would get the playoffs. If you finish runner up to a team who qualifies, that doesn't get you a spot, necessarily. Even if, say, Bulgaria had 6 points against first and second in their group (which is possible), they would still lose out to Scotland, because Scotland finished second, and Bulgaria third.

Ranking is determined by:
1 Position in mini league
2 Points
3 Goal difference
4 Goals scored
5 Disciplinary record
6 UEFA coefficient
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:22pm
Also going by my Football Manager experience the playoffs are one legged and the two highest placed teams would have the the advantage of playing at home
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:59pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that you could be potentially punished if you do well in this. The format says the following:

"If in any division, there are fewer than four teams which have not already qualified for the European Championship finals, the play-off berths will be allocated to the next best ranked team of the following division, etc."

So say there are two of the big boys in League A who don't qualify through normal qualifying, say Italy and France. Say then that Ireland and Sweden are the two highest ranked countries in League B. That would mean that Ireland and Sweden would have to play Italy and France while the two lower ranked teams in League B would get to play other League B teams for a place at the Euros or even potentially a team(s) from League C! It doesn't seem fair at all.

As I say, I am fully open to correction on this. Perhaps they mean that after the 4 top ranked countries from League B they would then go and take the League B teams ranked 5th and 6th to play Italy and France?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:01pm
Yeah, that seems to be the way of it (the last bit I mean, that it's the worse League B teams who end up in League A playoffs).

The draw the League D playoffs first, then C, then B, then A.

Incidentally, if (somehow) 13 League D teams were to qualify, the regulations don't cover what would happen.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 12 Oct 2017 at 4:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 126>
  Share Topic