You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 126>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:51pm
I've heard that they'll be next March so they can leave the Nations League alone. Think that'd be preferable.
Ask MaGee
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Hard to see the nations league being on now with UEFA moving the playoffs to September.

Unless we get put into a smaller group with other playoff teams if that's even possible?

Where did you hear that the play offs will be in September?

Doesn't say anything about September

Well that is the next international date so kind of implied though I agree it may be until March 2021

with World Cup Qualifiers changing from Sept 2021 to June 2022

Edited by lassassinblanc - 01 Apr 2020 at 4:00pm
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Couldn't they just put all 4 countries (us, NI, Slovakia & Bosnia) in the same group and use it both for Euro 2021 and World Cup 2022 qualifying ?
Have the first round of games to be both for SemiFinal and WC qualifier
Then fix the second round of games to be the final and the other 2 teams can play a WC qualifier

Bosnia are in league A so you would imagine they wouldn't agree to it but likewise I think something like this would probably be best 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

I've heard that they'll be next March so they can leave the Nations League alone. Think that'd be preferable.

Next March is the first world cup qualifying dates as far as I'm aware so that wont be possible 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:03pm
World cup qualifiers changed to 10 Groups of 5 
With Nations League D acting as qualifying for that phase, winners of the 2 groups go into the draw for the qualifiers.

MD1 and MD2- Sept
MD3 and MD4- Oct
MD5 and MD6 Nov
MD7 and MD8 Mar

Playoffs- June

Top teams in each group  qualify

Next 3 qualify via playoffs as per what would have happened anyway

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:30pm
Nations League was invented to do away with friendlies, they're rock bottom of the food chain. We can definitely live without them for a few years while we catch up on fixtures.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Bulgaria have a 1 game behind closed doors ban coming so hopefully we arent the unlucky ones to get them first 
I can never understand why away fans aren’t allowed in, it is ridiculous that they get punished for someone else’s crimes.
Exactly this, and it should be extra incentive to not be handed the punishment in the first place having the away fans there only, technically as the home fans I suppose
While it is an unfair ban on the away team, having away fans enter your country to support an away team when you can't enter the stadium at all could result in some unsavoury scenes outside the stadium. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Bulgaria have a 1 game behind closed doors ban coming so hopefully we arent the unlucky ones to get them first 
I can never understand why away fans aren’t allowed in, it is ridiculous that they get punished for someone else’s crimes.
Exactly this, and it should be extra incentive to not be handed the punishment in the first place having the away fans there only, technically as the home fans I suppose
While it is an unfair ban on the away team, having away fans enter your country to support an away team when you can't enter the stadium at all could result in some unsavoury scenes outside the stadium. 
If the home association cannot guarantee the safety of the travelling supporters then they should play the game in a neutral venue, or even at the venue of the away team.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:16am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Wales again isnt ideal from a travel view, but i think that draw is pretty good to us. Think topping the group will make us 2nd seeds for the World Cup draw. 
Is it not based on FIFA World rankings (which will have been updated after November matches) seeing as its for World Cup qualifying? 

it is

so if we top the group we should have won enough games to rise us up the rankings

It isn't as simple as that but probably.  

We need to be in Europe's top twenty in the FIFA rankings to get a 2nd seed (top ten for 1st seed).  I think we are currently 20th.  Those around us are the likes of Turkey, Serbia, Slovakia, Northern Ireland Romania Russia and Iceland.   

The playoff v Slovakia is crucial and qualifying will greatly help our chances.  Obviously some of those countries have qualified or will qualify so they will gain more ranking points.  

If we do not qualify then we will need to have a great nations league.  5 wins and losing top spot to Wales on the H2H would be far better from the ranking perspective than scraping top spot after a lot of draws.  

However even leaving aside the ranking I believe winning the group will be enough for a WC playoff.  It does depend on other group winners but I'd expect it to be enough in the end.    

It is mad that we are 20th of the European teams in the FIFA rankings. We are 39th in UEFA rankings LOL 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:18am

If the home association cannot guarantee the safety of the travelling supporters then they should play the game in a neutral venue, or even at the venue of the away team.
Again, it makes sense, but it won't happen. Money talks. Plus, no country would want to admit to their country being unsafe for tourists. 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Just put ourselves, North , Bosnia and Slovakia in a nations league group and play the games the end of the year. Top team qualifys for the euro 2021 finals 

LOL

Would love to see it happen. But it won't. 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:24am

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Booking all the trips early has not worked out it seems Cry
I'd already learned from the NL trip to Copenhagen (which turned out to be in Aarhus) in 2018 not to go rushing into booking flights the nanosecond the fixture dates were announced. I've also realised that it's often better to wait until the initial rush of Internet traffic has settled down before booking flights as they have tended to come back down. 
Well, that would depend on how many different flights you were booking. As deise316 said, 9 times out out of 10 it will work. So you might lose €100 on 1, but the other 9 will probably have gone up by €20-30 (more initially, and then coming back down in price as you said) in the time you're waiting. 

Every flight isn't the same, but that's my experience and belief. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:33am

I'd already learned from the NL trip to Copenhagen (which turned out to be in Aarhus) in 2018 not to go rushing into booking flights the nanosecond the fixture dates were announced. I've also realised that it's often better to wait until the initial rush of Internet traffic has settled down before booking flights as they have tended to come back down. 
Well, that would depend on how many different flights you were booking. As deise316 said, 9 times out out of 10 it will work. So you might lose €100 on 1, but the other 9 will probably have gone up by €20-30 (more initially, and then coming back down in price as you said) in the time you're waiting. 

Reasonably priced can cover all the basis though for Aarhus I had to book a new return flight but the outgoing flight was fine 

I have Helsinki bookedCry as much for the handy times as anything else but they would still work for Tampere if it was there 

Can’t see Lufthansa being too accommodating in shifting them so if push comes to shove we will still go and make a short break of it 

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:46am

Wales again isnt ideal from a travel view, but i think that draw is pretty good to us. Think topping the group will make us 2nd seeds for the World Cup draw. 
Is it not based on FIFA World rankings (which will have been updated after November matches) seeing as its for World Cup qualifying? 

it is

so if we top the group we should have won enough games to rise us up the rankings

We need to be in Europe's top twenty in the FIFA rankings to get a 2nd seed (top ten for 1st seed).  I think we are currently 20th.  Those around us are the likes of Turkey, Serbia, Slovakia, Northern Ireland Romania Russia and Iceland.   

The playoff v Slovakia is crucial and qualifying will greatly help our chances.  Obviously some of those countries have qualified or will qualify so they will gain more ranking points.  

If we do not qualify then we will need to have a great nations league.  5 wins and losing top spot to Wales on the H2H would be far better from the ranking perspective than scraping top spot after a lot of draws.  

However even leaving aside the ranking I believe winning the group will be enough for a WC playoff.  It does depend on other group winners but I'd expect it to be enough in the end.    

It is mad that we are 20th of the European teams in the FIFA rankings. We are 39th in UEFA rankings LOL 

We are not 39th in the UEFA rankings.  We finished 23rd at the end of the last Nations League.  Our league has hovered around the 39 mark (37th last year).  

2nd seeds for the World Cup is realistic.     Indeed if this virus goes really badly the current FIFA rankings may be used.  We would be second seeds in that scenario.

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Reasonably priced can cover all the basis though for Aarhus I had to book a new return flight but the outgoing flight was fine 

I have Helsinki bookedCry as much for the handy times as anything else but they would still work for Tampere if it was there 

Can’t see Lufthansa being too accommodating in shifting them so if push comes to shove we will still go and make a short break of it 

Lufthansa will give you the value of the flight in credit basically.
https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flight-information under I have a booking and want to postpone, anything booked before 19th April they'll honour at another date up to April 2021 just contact them before 31st August.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:22pm
I think UEFA could still play the 2020/21 Nations League season (provided that Covid 19 pandemic has passed or reached a level where it is safe to play football) if they do the following:

1) Cancel the 2022/23 Nations League season. This would free up the June and September international windows in 2022. 

2) Reschedule the Euro 2020 playoffs for March 2021.

3) Reschedule the start and end dates for World Cup qualifying for Qatar 2022. World Cup qualifying would now start in September 2021 and end in June 2022. The Nations League finals could also be played in June 2022. The playoffs for the 2022 World Cup would take place in September 2022. September is the final international break before the Qatar World Cup.

Yes I am bored of being indoors 😂
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:54pm
If playoff is next March and Mick stays on, will be interesting to see starting 11 this time next year. 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:13pm

it is

We are not 39th in the UEFA rankings.  We finished 23rd at the end of the last Nations League.  Our league has hovered around the 39 mark (37th last year).  

2nd seeds for the World Cup is realistic.     Indeed if this virus goes really badly the current FIFA rankings may be used.  We would be second seeds in that scenario.

I stand corrected. This is the link I was using: 

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/season=2020/index.html

Edited by xRedmanLFCx - 04 Apr 2020 at 7:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 126>
  Share Topic