You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105106 126>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:44pm
Surely the FAI will be sending Stephen Kenny over to the draw in Amsterdam. It would make no sense for Mick to go.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Sponsored Links

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:47pm
it has to be the current national coach that goes to the draw that’s the protocol.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

it has to be the current national coach that goes to the draw that’s the protocol.
If that’s the case then I reckon mick will be frosty/sarcastic to the media. Sure he doesn’t care about the draw.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Once we get some weekend games dont mind who we play.
Annual leave in work set to take a hammering if we get to the euros too

+1 to this annual leave taking a hammering already and that's without the potential of us playing in the euros. 

the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Would you have any issues going to Israel? 

Not sure if I’d be up for it. Flights seem a mess too

When NI were out there in 2013, I went out 8 or 9 days early, hired a car and toured a good bit around the country. Also stayed on in Tel Aviv for a few days R&R after the game.

I gained an understanding of the ordinary Israeli's situation (essentially the need for security), but also a deeper sympathy for the Palestinians' plight as well, which was predictably grim.

Speaking for myself, I came to appreciate that it really isn't black and white and I would recommend that people take a look for themselves.

It may be that they come back with their views even more entrenched than before (though I'd hope not), and maybe one visit would make you never to want to visit again. But unless you do, you're less qualified to pronounce upon the situation.

Btw, Tel Aviv is one of the most remarkable cities I've ever been in - modern, progressive, prosperous, youthful and (above all) secular, in a part of the world where much else is f**ked up by religion.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

When NI were out there in 2013, I went out 8 or 9 days early, hired a car and toured a good bit around the country. Also stayed on in Tel Aviv for a few days R&R after the game.

I gained an understanding of the ordinary Israeli's situation (essentially the need for security), but also a deeper sympathy for the Palestinians' plight as well, which was predictably grim.

Speaking for myself, I came to appreciate that it really isn't black and white and I would recommend that people take a look for themselves.

It may be that they come back with their views even more entrenched than before (though I'd hope not), and maybe one visit would make you never to want to visit again. But unless you do, you're less qualified to pronounce upon the situation.

Btw, Tel Aviv is one of the most remarkable cities I've ever been in - modern, progressive, prosperous, youthful and (above all) secular, in a part of the world where much else is f**ked up by religion.
Super post T .
#1 away trip if we are drawn with them for sure Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 9:44am

Super post.
Really need to go visit this city.
To see SK's Ireland would be an added bonus :)
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 9:55am

I went there in 2005 and would love to go back.  Tel Aviv was fantastic.  It is only the size of Cork but on the beach.

Agree people need to hear both sides   I've worked with people on both sides and worked for a Palestinian (one of the best managers I've had).  
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:15am
For such a small country there is so much to see , now as for history well WOW .

Go with an open mind is the first step .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I went there in 2005 and would love to go back.  Tel Aviv was fantastic.  It is only the size of Cork but on the beach.

Agree people need to hear both sides   I've worked with people on both sides and worked for a Palestinian (one of the best managers I've had).  

You sure about that? 

Haven't been there but Tel Aviv looks a much bigger city with a way bigger population than Cork. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

You sure about that? 

Haven't been there but Tel Aviv looks a much bigger city with a way bigger population than Cork. 

According to Wiki, the population of TA is 450k, so it's a fair bit bigger than Cork.

Thing is, it's only 35 mls to Jerusalem, yet you could almost imagine they're different worlds. Jerusalem has to be the most historic place in the world for its size - hardly surprising when they've been building and re-building it for nearly 4,000 years -though it still only looks half-finished!

Whereas the mind blowing thing about TA, is that until a bit over 100 years ago, there was nothing there at all, bar a handful of houses.

I'm fascinated by history, and I'm not into beaches etc, yet I absolutely loved Tel Aviv nonetheless.

Btw, if you should get drawn against Israel, even if the match is to be played in Jerusalem, I'd advise staying in TA and commuting.

And while you're there, you might want to pay a visit to "Mike's Place" - very touristy, but the GAWA had a couple of fierce night's crack in there:
https://www.mikesplacebars.com/site/en/mikes-place-nightlife-tayelet-tel-aviv/

It was only after I got back that I learned about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike%27s_Place_suicide_bombing

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:50pm
Last time in Israel we did most of our drinking in Mike's Bar and the one beside it. He sold a huge amount of kegs that weekend. The usual story of more beer sold in a weekend that he would normally in a month. 
Actually got to the point where they were stopping young locals from coming in as they took up space and weren't drinking nearly enough. 
We did day trips each day we were there and it was amazing to see Jerusalem. You're better off keeping politics out of conversations though because you'll end up pissing somebody off. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

You sure about that? 

population wise a bit bigger all right but main drag was quite small and easy to walk anywhere.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Last time in Israel we did most of our drinking in Mike's Bar and the one beside it. He sold a huge amount of kegs that weekend. The usual story of more beer sold in a weekend that he would normally in a month. 
Actually got to the point where they were stopping young locals from coming in as they took up space and weren't drinking nearly enough. 
We did day trips each day we were there and it was amazing to see Jerusalem.

Brilliant LOL

Quote You're better off keeping politics out of conversations though because you'll end up pissing somebody off. 

A bit like YBIG then...
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 2:56am

We did day trips each day we were there and it was amazing to see Jerusalem. You're better off keeping politics out of conversations though because you'll end up pissing somebody off. 

What’s so great about Mikes? Is it irish? 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:42am
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

What’s so great about Mikes? Is it irish? 
Strangely no. An eye opening experience for those of there when we learned that there are other bars abroad other than Irish/pretend Irish that can be great oul craic. 
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:52am
Mikes is next door to the US embassy (or what was the US embassy until Trump moved it but I suspect most of the admin is still done there) and facing the beach. It's a decent pub frequented by tourists, embassy staff, some other expats and locals.

Tel Aviv is grand but nothing to write home about. Jaffa; a taxi ride away down the coast is far more interesting. If we happen to find ourselves here - a trip to Jerusalem and Bethlleham are highly recommended to all and for the more adventurous I'd recommend Ramallah, Hebron, the Dead Sea and Jericho. Tel Aviv is grand for breaking up the trip and naturally enough it has better night life than everywhere else but if travelling this far make sure to get out and about. 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by williemc83 williemc83 wrote:

Mikes is next door to the US embassy (or what was the US embassy until Trump moved it but I suspect most of the admin is still done there) and facing the beach. It's a decent pub frequented by tourists, embassy staff, some other expats and locals.

Tel Aviv is grand but nothing to write home about. Jaffa; a taxi ride away down the coast is far more interesting. If we happen to find ourselves here - a trip to Jerusalem and Bethlleham are highly recommended to all and for the more adventurous I'd recommend Ramallah, Hebron, the Dead Sea and Jericho. Tel Aviv is grand for breaking up the trip and naturally enough it has better night life than everywhere else but if travelling this far make sure to get out and about. 

Jaffa is great and historic but going one block in the wrong direction quickly gets to a sketchy area 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105106 126>
  Share Topic