Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2024 Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 1:59am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I think it's just the case that they've never bother applied to FIFA for membership. Could be wrong, mind.
Correct, interest has only developed fairly recently, I guess since they played their first 'international' around the turn of the century. There is also fears of jeopardising AS Monaco's place in French football, although precedent suggests it wouldn't they don't want to take any chances.It is unquestionably a sovereign country though there was a law , changed about a decade back, that if there were no Grimaldi heirs then France could take it back. 
Along with the Vatican they are the only two without national teams, that is registered with UEFA, they have actually played each other on occasion. The Vatican squad is mainly chosen from the Swiss guard and other workers and not priests aged over 75.

Edited by pre Madonna - 25 Jan 2017 at 2:34am
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:57am
I would have thought that there are very few Monegasque citizens. Surely most of the residents are foreign nationals. It would be very hard to put a team together. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 9:52am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I would have thought that there are very few Monegasque citizens. Surely most of the residents are foreign nationals. It would be very hard to put a team together. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco_national_football_team#Current_squad

Supposedly  they have about 60 players to choose from mostly amateurs

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Jersey have little interest.
Au contraire:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37543139

They also have a population of 100,000, which is bigger than a few of the other minnows, with another 70,000 on the other islands (though these may not be eligible).

I'd guess that quite a few of the population wasn't born on Jersey, either.

And afaik, they have a long tradition of Portugese immigrants coming to the island to provide labour to the agricultural industry.

Edited by Territorial - 25 Jan 2017 at 11:44am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:52am
Forgot about the Armenia/Azerbaijan dispute but if the logistics of a tournament with 3/4 neighbouring hosts was feasible they would be the regions I'd like to see the tournaments in.

Anyway onto my other suggestion

Russia/Crimea/Chechnya co-hosted tournament Cool

Edited by irishmufc - 25 Jan 2017 at 11:52am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Aren't they all the same country LOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Forgot about the Armenia/Azerbaijan dispute but if the logistics of a tournament with 3/4 neighbouring hosts was feasible they would be the regions I'd like to see the tournaments in.

Can't see how that could cause any issues....
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 12:07pm
In a perfect world we could have Poland and the Germans hosting it together
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Well if a certain tached folk had gotten his way we'd all be Germany now
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I'm sure ye'd have been grand:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_neutrality_during_World_War_II
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I'm sure ye'd have been grand:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_neutrality_during_World_War_II

Sure look how the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact turned out

Edited by lassassinblanc - 25 Jan 2017 at 1:27pm
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 2:15pm

Yea that Merkel **** should sort that top lip out again
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Jersey have little interest.
Au contraire:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37543139

They also have a population of 100,000, which is bigger than a few of the other minnows, with another 70,000 on the other islands (though these may not be eligible).

I'd guess that quite a few of the population wasn't born on Jersey, either.

And afaik, they have a long tradition of Portugese immigrants coming to the island to provide labour to the agricultural industry.
I didn't realise that, cheers. More has been made of Guernsey's club team in recent years.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 3:55pm

I think it's just the case that they've never bother applied to FIFA for membership. Could be wrong, mind.
Correct, interest has only developed fairly recently, I guess since they played their first 'international' around the turn of the century. There is also fears of jeopardising AS Monaco's place in French football, although precedent suggests it wouldn't they don't want to take any chances.It is unquestionably a sovereign country though there was a law , changed about a decade back, that if there were no Grimaldi heirs then France could take it back. 
Along with the Vatican they are the only two without national teams, that is registered with UEFA, they have actually played each other on occasion. The Vatican squad is mainly chosen from the Swiss guard and other workers and not priests aged over 75.

True.  This is also why Barcelona are such hippocrites.  They like to portray themselves as bastions of Catalan nationalism, more than a club etc., but when push come to shove, go out of their way to avoid questions about Catalan independence - witness their deafening silence during the non-binding Catalan referendum last year - knowing full well they'd never pull out of La Liga and the twice yearly El Clasicos to play in a Catalonia national league.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

True.  This is also why Barcelona are such hippocrites.  They like to portray themselves as bastions of Catalan nationalism, more than a club etc., but when push come to shove, go out of their way to avoid questions about Catalan independence - witness their deafening silence during the non-binding Catalan referendum last year - knowing full well they'd never pull out of La Liga and the twice yearly El Clasicos to play in a Catalonia national league.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It is difficult to tell their level of hypocrisy, although they have sold most things out over the past decade or so. I am sure they would advocate a European league of some sort.
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:08pm
Turkey has just confirmed they'll be bidding to host this too. Who knows what state the world will be in in 2024 but with IS attacks, the coup, etc, not sure I'd be going. 4 of the stadiums will be in Istanbul too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024

Edited by Fanny MaGee - 15 Feb 2017 at 12:09pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:44pm
Not a chance they'll get it. Mere formality for Deutschland to be awarded it
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 1:35pm
Turkey have applied for last few with no joy so they may be due a favour from UEFA, I'd say if France 2016 was looked into like the FIFA World Cups there would most likely be brown envelopes involved with Platini's name on them.

Saying that, with the supposed re form in UEFA after Platini I'd fully expect Germany to get it, as it's a no brainer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic