Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2024 Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Not a chance they'll get it. Mere formality for Deutschland to be awarded it

Proper order too. Couldn't wait to get out of Istanbul when I was there a couple of years ago.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Turkey have applied for last few with no joy so they may be due a favour from UEFA, I'd say if France 2016 was looked into like the FIFA World Cups there would most likely be brown envelopes involved with Platini's name on them.

Saying that, with the supposed re form in UEFA after Platini I'd fully expect Germany to get it, as it's a no brainer.
True, but the no-brainer option would have been to have the 2022 World Cup staged anywhere but Qatar...

I know that was FIFA's dirty work but it shows you can never be sure how much these decisions can be swayed by a brown envelope or 2 regardless of who the governing body is.

Hopefully those reforms in UEFA that you have mentioned can go through (even though I'm sure there'll be plenty of dodgy characters who'll try and block it) and common sense can prevail with Euro 2024 going to Germany.

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Proper order too. Couldn't wait to get out of Istanbul when I was there a couple of years ago.
Why, what happened?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Turkey have applied for last few with no joy so they may be due a favour from UEFA, I'd say if France 2016 was looked into like the FIFA World Cups there would most likely be brown envelopes involved with Platini's name on them.

Saying that, with the supposed re form in UEFA after Platini I'd fully expect Germany to get it, as it's a no brainer.
True, but the no-brainer option would have been to have the 2022 World Cup staged anywhere but Qatar...

I know that was FIFA's dirty work but it shows you can never be sure how much these decisions can be swayed by a brown envelope or 2 regardless of who the governing body is.

Hopefully those reforms in UEFA that you have mentioned can go through (even though I'm sure there'll be plenty of dodgy characters who'll try and block it) and common sense can prevail with Euro 2024 going to Germany.

Would say the German FA could afford more envelopes then the Turks anyway Wink
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 2:29pm

Would say the German FA could afford more envelopes then the Turks anyway Wink
True LOL

Even so, at least the tournament would still be going somewhere more suitable, unlike Qatar, without any need to disrupt several club seasons by having to move the tournament to the winter.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:03pm

Why, what happened?

After 3 nights on the tear in Tbilisi we stayed a night in Istanbul.

Being stared out of it on the street by Turkish lads sitting outside their shops, Stayed in a hostel with no air conditioning and got bitten all over my legs by mosquitos, broken steps in the hostel, arsehole of staff in local internet café when trying to print flights, call of prayer at 5am and always felt on edge in Istanbul as if something was going to kick off. It's probably a lot worse now. Spectacular looking city but would never go back unless Ireland were playing there.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:14pm

Why, what happened?

After 3 nights on the tear in Tbilisi we stayed a night in Istanbul.

Being stared out of it on the street by Turkish lads sitting outside their shops, Stayed in a hostel with no air conditioning and got bitten all over my legs by mosquitos, broken steps in the hostel, arsehole of staff in local internet café when trying to print flights, call of prayer at 5am and always felt on edge in Istanbul as if something was going to kick off. It's probably a lot worse now. Spectacular looking city but would never go back unless Ireland were playing there.

Probably thought you were Stephen Rea
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:19pm
A fella from rural Ireland complaining about locals staring at tourists................
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

A fella from rural Ireland complaining about locals staring at tourists................

Not good facing this when you've the fear.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:35pm
Jayzis Muff, you don't want Turkey to host a tournament because you stayed in a cheap hotel in Istanbul once.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Jayzis Muff, you don't want Turkey to host a tournament because you stayed in a cheap hotel in Istanbul once.

No, I was saying I wouldn't go back there unless Ireland were playing and anyway the security situation makes it a non-starter. Germany's a better and a more safer option to host the tournament.  
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:07pm

No, I was saying I wouldn't go back there unless Ireland were playing and anyway the security situation makes it a non-starter. Germany's a better and a more safer option to host the tournament.  
Turkey never really appealed to me anyway even before you factor in the reputation of local fans, then the idea of them meeting English and Russian hooligans (if their teams qualify) for a nice civilized chat over Syria (LOL). Throw in the security situation (God knows what that'll be like even in a couple of years, never mind 2024), then your experience a few years ago on top of all that....

...Yeah, I don't blame ye Muff, I'd prefer Germany myself, all things considered. It may not feel completely safe (after all, look at the heavy security in France last summer) but it would still be much better than having it in Turkey.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:16pm
If Turkey can sort itself out over the next couple of years (very doubtful I know) then I think they should get the tournament ahead of Germany. Germany has already had 2 World Cups and a European Championships. Turkey hasn't hosted anything. It's a big country and deserves a shot at hosting.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:26pm

If Turkey can sort itself out over the next couple of years (very doubtful I know) then I think they should get the tournament ahead of Germany. Germany has already had 2 World Cups and a European Championships. Turkey hasn't hosted anything. It's a big country and deserves a shot at hosting.

How much are ze Turks paying you !! Das Deustchland vill double it!!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm
The mad thing is that it's no longer envelopes of cash. Used to be ten, twenty grand would do it. Only a few quid, in the grand scheme of things. Problem now is that it seems to be millions every time, and that sort of sh*t can't be in cash but has to be laundered. It's harder to hide than cash of course, but the sums are generally much higher.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 9:34pm
Not a chance will Turkey get it.

Turkey were the only serious country to put in a bid to host Euro 2020.  But rather than go for that, UEFA instead decide to spread the tournament all over Europe from Dublin to Baku that will be a bugger to travel around in.  That's how much UEFA don't want to award a major tournament to Turkey.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:43pm

The German football association (DFB) confirmed on Friday that 18 cities and stadiums had expressed interest in hosting Euro 2024 matches by the noon deadline that it had set for them to do so. 

These are:  Berlin (Olympiastadion), Bremen (Weserstadion), Dortmund (Signal Iduna Park), Dresden (DDV-Stadion), Düsseldorf (ESPRIT Arena), Frankfurt (Commerzbank-Arena), Freiburg (new stadium planned), Gelsenkirchen (VELTINS-Arena), Hamburg (Volksparkstadion), Hanover (HDI Arena), Kaiserslautern (Fritz-Walter-Stadion), Karlsruhe (Wildparkstadion), Cologne (RheinEnergiestadion), Leipzig (Red Bull Arena), Mönchengladbach (Borussia-Park), Munich (Allianz Arena), Nuremberg (Stadion Nürnberg) and Stuttgart (Mercedes-Benz Arena).

I've highlighted 9 stadiums which I think will 100% host I think the final number will be 10 so I think it will between Monchengladbach, Stuttgart and Freiburg*

you may wonder why I say Freiburg

(i) They are already planning a new stadium DFB/UEFA will consider this ambitious

(ii) Joachim Low is from the area now he may not be Manager come 2024 but I'd imagine he'll have a say given the decision will be made by September

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:52pm
I'd have to think Colonge would make the final cut
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic