You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North of Ireland Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 129>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:48pm
I am no sympathiser of Saoradh at all, but I found the BBC's harassing of Thomas Ashe Mellon today to be a bit uncomfortable. At best it made them look more like 'Channel 5' and at worst it was trying to implicate an individual, as well as an organisation,  in the death of a young woman without any shred of evidence. I thought we had moved away from that.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 7:19am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I am no sympathiser of Saoradh at all, but I found the BBC's harassing of Thomas Ashe Mellon today to be a bit uncomfortable. At best it made them look more like 'Channel 5' and at worst it was trying to implicate an individual, as well as an organisation,  in the death of a young woman without any shred of evidence. I thought we had moved away from that.

Eh, they admitted that they did it.....
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:21am
The New IRA did, Saoradh didn't.

Saoradh will also deny they are the political wing of the New IRA.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:24am

I am no sympathiser of Saoradh at all, but I found the BBC's harassing of Thomas Ashe Mellon today to be a bit uncomfortable.

Link?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:18am
Have to im in the same boat, im diffenently no supporter of any dissidents but the on woman was like a dog with a bone. I suppose there public enemy number one and she was just trying to make her bones.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:21am
But she’s a reporter asking questions. It’s a long standing style of journalism.

This approach is regularly used, and he didn’t seem to concerned. And Saoradh need to be asked questions about who and what they are.

Edited by Het-field - 03 May 2019 at 11:22am
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:22am
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Have to im in the same boat, im diffenently no supporter of any dissidents but the on woman was like a dog with a bone. I suppose there public enemy number one and she was just trying to make her bones.

El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

But she’s a reporter asking questions. It’s a long standing style of journalism.

This approach is regularly used, and he didn’t seem to concerned. And Saoradh need to be asked questions about who and what they are.
Not having that at all, certainly not from the BBC. It was really poor from them. As I said, it was tabloid journalism at best and not what I expect from the BBC, no matter who the subject is.

Whether he seemed concerned or not is completely irrelevant! 

No link, it was on the main BBC News last night.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:51am

Not having that at all, certainly not from the BBC. It was really poor from them. As I said, it was tabloid journalism at best and not what I expect from the BBC, no matter who the subject is.

That’s fine. But I have no problem with Saoradh being asked questions. Totally the architect of their own problems after their initial response to Lyra McKee’s death.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:52am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:57am

That’s fine. But I have no problem with Saoradh being asked questions. Totally the architect of their own problems after their initial response to Lyra McKee’s death.
Neither do I, I do have a problem with the BBC letting their standards drop and implicating a man in the death of a woman based on a hunch. It felt like trial by media.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:58am
The questions raised were about what Saoradh said and the attitudes of the people of Derry. I didn’t think it went any further than that.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:06pm

The questions raised were about what Saoradh said and the attitudes of the people of Derry. I didn’t think it went any further than that.
I would disagree, they wanted to show him and Saoradh in a certain light and probably succeeded. Now, that isn’t me defending them, let’s be clear, but that isn’t what I want a national broadcaster doing. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:09pm
I thought the questions were very to the point, even if the “doorstepping” style of interview is not the best. Saoradh were absolute nobodies, and were not in the public consciousness until they made their statement after the atrocity.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:12pm

I thought the questions were very to the point, even if the “doorstepping” style of interview is not the best. Saoradh were absolute nobodies, and were not in the public consciousness until they made their statement after the atrocity.
I would disagree, a lot of them were irrelevant, especially when no answers were coming and ‘doorstepping’ as you call it, should not be a tactic used by a state broadcaster.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:16pm
I could probably get on board with opposition to doorstepping.

But the fact that there were no answers coming, save for one response with the expletive, doesn’t make them irrelevant. One was about the statement made by Saoradh after the death, and the other is about the attitude of Derry people to the group after the game to prominence last week.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:22pm
I’m afraid I’m not comfortable with the BBC discussing ‘attitudes ‘, no matter how relevant they may seem they are still irrelevant. It is still tabloid, at best, and trial by media at worst. It felt like they were trying to drive him out of town without being given any sort of process. 

The funny thing is, this actually plays in to Saoradh’s hands. That is exactly what they would want the BBC to do. Incredibly unprofessional.

Edited by pre Madonna - 03 May 2019 at 12:24pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:43pm
I’m not really concerned about the criticism of Saoradh, no matter where it comes from. Also, the questions to me are fair and legitimate when people from Derry have been expressing their views, and the statement after Lyra McKee’s death was deplorable. If they had said nothing, or if they had done the right thing and sympathised nobody would have batted an eyelid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 129>
  Share Topic