You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North of Ireland Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 129>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

Dead Absolute drivel.

And not a word about the loyalist death squads in Belfast going around butchering Catholic civilians with assorted butcher's tools unimpeded by the army and police, lads like Davey Payne and Coco White slicing a Protestant woman's breasts off and torturing her because she was with a Catholic man, army shooting women and children in the back several times, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders murdering two random Catholic farmers with pitchforks in retaliation for a previous attack on soldiers by the IRA, constant firebombings on Catholic homes culminating in the Quinn children being burned to death and the various civil rights abuses against the Catholic community. I could go on.

Martin has no interest in victims. His only interest is in self interest and gaining Political capital. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 5:29pm

Some new Scappaticci files being released today.

There are a few books I would recommend in regards trying to piece this all together.

Voices from the Grave
The Dirty War
Stakeknifes Dirty War
The Intelligence war against the IRA
Killing Rage

The Internal Security Unit was much more than Freddie Scapattichi. It is clear now that he was one of maybe 3 other long standing agents within that unit. What we know at the minute is the tip of the iceberg. It is clear that for the British Scap had numerous positives:

1) He was attached to Northern Command and had high level information
2) He could be used to dispatch other agents who had past their sell by date or had become an embarrassment.
3) The Security Unit also vetted new recruits and investigated compromised operations. That meant they had extensive knowledge ot all personnel and support networks I.e safe houses
4) Dedicated IRA men could be set up and murdered as informers. This happened in at least 4 occasions.

It is rumoured that Scap was stood down with the entire Internal Security Unit in 1990 and that it was revamped with new hand picked operatives. It is also said that Martin McGuinness vetoed any reinstatement of Scap when he returned from Dublin in 1992. This may have been a driving force for his meeting with the Cook report in 1993.

It is also notable that in the early 1980's after a safe house was compromised in South Armagh the South Armagh Brigade linked that to Scap. Word was sent to Belfast that they wouldn't work with him any further and he wasn't to be trusted. This may go some way to explaining how they were still effective right up until the ceasefire. Probably the only real Unit that stayed consistently so.

Lastly Robert Bradford a Unionist MP was executed at a community centre in 1980. Rumours were that he was about to go public about Kincora. One of the witnesses of that murder stated the IRA team were not masked and years later when Scap was unmasked he felt this was one of the gunmen he had seen that day. We will never know but what better way to endear yourself to the IRA and prove your impeccable credentials. Food for thought.

Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 5:43pm
South Armagh and East Tyrone didn't report to Northern Command - which is why they were so effective, because their operations didn't get compromised. 

Obviously some operations did get compromised - Loughall for instance.

McGuinness and Scap didn't see eye to eye for whatever reason.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:18pm
Yes Scap was at a meeting in a safe house in south Armagh and picked up a letter and read the name on it
A short time after a house nearby of a family with the same name was raided 
East Tyrone Brigade didn’t trust him either 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 09 Mar 2024 at 9:18pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Yes Scap was at a meeting in a safe house in south Armagh and picked up a letter and read the name on it

That has to beg the question, who was higher up and seemingly protecting him? I don't think Scap was the highest ranking agent- he was probably the Armies highest ranker but I think Special Branch had one or two even higher probably in GHQ.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 10:09pm

It's not that they didn't trust him - they just operated independently.

Slab Murphy was the main commander behind both, before focusing on SA.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's not that they didn't trust him - they just operated independently.

Slab Murphy was the main commander behind both, before focusing on SA.

South Armagh didn't trust him and made it known that they didn't trust him. Word was sent to Belfast that they wouldn't have any further dealings with him and subsequently they began to operate far more independently of Belfast which overall just they did not trust. 

Slab Murphy was allegedly on the Army Council and the Commander of South Armagh was said to be Sean Hughes who was nicknamed the Surgeon. Murphy being on the Army Council meant he held ultimate sway in the area. He did not have jurisdiction over East Tyrone whose commander was Paddy Kelly before his death at Loughall and Brian Arthurs thereafter. East Tyrone took a real hammering from the late 80's onwards. The Brits were determined to destroy East Tyrone though they never could no matter how many they killed on active service or family members unconnected. East Tyrone and South Armagh were places apart.

Belfast and Derry by the end were badly compromised which is probably to be expected in large urban centres.

I look forward to the full Kenova report. The IRA state that Scap was stood down in 1990 and never played any significant role thereafter. I am interested to know if that is true and if Kenova bears this out. 
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 10:56pm
In a chapter of The Dirty War, that bollox Martin Dillon refers to house counsel of terrorist groups who used interrogations to try and get information about what interrogators knew almost as an auxiliary member of the guys he was representing. I wonder now if it Pat Finucane was someone he was referring to/making insinuances about.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 11:11am
Some great reading in this. Though I could've done without the image of Mountbatten 69ing a Sri Lankan boy in a hotel in Sligo.

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 10:29pm
@ Green Cockade, Horsebox et al

Reading Deirdre Younge, Village etc.

Opinions on alleged Gardai collusion in deaths of Harry Breen and Bob Buchanan? My opinion is the tribunal was a show trial.

Opinions on Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness potentially being touts? The bullets used in the assassination attempt on Adams back in the 80s were replaced with rubber bullets. Another, separate, planned assassination was allegedly called off after an informer alerted intelligence agencies. McGuinness, meanwhile, was allegedly once seen leaving an MI5 safehouse in County Derry. There are some who believe it was Adams who set up the Tyrone branch of the IRA in the infamous Loughgall Ambush.

South Armagh IRA were notoriously distrustful of outsiders and refused to have anything to do with Scap. They also delivered some of the British Army's worst losses. Was Commander Slab Murphy as cerebral as I get the impression he was?

King Rat Billy Wright's assassination in prison struck me as similarly convenient to the suicide of Jeffrey Epstein with the amount of contrivances and oversight that led to the INLA assassins getting the opportunity to do him in. Was his death set up in part by British intelligence as he was a threat to the peace process? And, if so, does this mean Crip McWilliams, was too, a British asset?

Guns used in the assassitions of Breen and Buchanan were linked to the Kingsmill Massacre. Do you believe it's true that Colm Murphy was a British intelligence asset and killed Breen because he knew too much and British intelligence wanted him gone? It is fact that Breen knew his life was in danger and requested that, if anything was to happen to him, that Chief Constable John Hermon not be present at his funeral. Breen was linked to the Glenanne Gang and was strongly suspected of being involved in supplying intelligence to the mid-Ulster UVF. The plan was to murder Breen and Buchanan after being interrogated. The two policemen were murdered prematurely before any interrogation could take place.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 7:28am
1. Gardai collusion is highly likely, there was a tip-off. Breen and Buchanan were regarded as high level “dirty cops” even by the debased standards of the RUC at the time.
2. The guns used in the UDA attempted assassination of Adams were “clean”, ie not used before, and the bullets were real. The spin about doctored ammunition put out by the late journalist Liam Clarke came from British intelligence psyops. Check out Paul Larkin@brehonisbest on Twitter, he has produced receipts. The Police Ombudsman had an independent investigation done. Danny Morrison spoke to the surgeon who operated on Adams, he confirmed that he was lucky to have survived death by inches. The UVF planned hit on the same day was frustrated by the UDA attack. I don’t think Adams had anything to do with the Loughgall attack though there may have been a locally based tout involved.
Re McGuinness, the allegation you have mentioned came from the late informer Willie Carlin, not the most reliable of sources. Neither Adams nor McGuinness were ever touts in my opinion. Some people close to them certainly were ( eg Denis Donaldson, Scappaticci, John Joe Magee, Roy McShane, etc ) and they may have had some influence on them. The truth is that Adams and McGuinness were invaluable to the peace process and led the movement away from war. It could not have been done without them, perhaps for another generation.
3. Tom Murphy aka “Slab” could be described as many things but cerebral is perhaps not one of them. Like most combatants he was from a working class background and had little in the way of formal education. You would not seek out his company for a debate about quantum mechanics or existentialist philosophy. He was on the other hand a former IRA chief of staff, on the Army Council and leader of the most effective brigade in the country. His leadership abilities are beyond question. South Armagh had the advantages of close knit and supportive rural communities and a core of long established Republican families. Read Toby Harnden’s book “ Bandit Country” if you get the chance, he had some very good sources.
4. I think Billy Wright was indeed set up, he had become a problem and even behind bars was exercising disproportionate influence. You will recall that his deputy Mark “ Swinger” Fulton , who suffered a similar demise to Epstein, was also conveniently eliminated. Wright’s actual assassins, Crip McWilliams and a couple of other guttersnipe INLA desperados, were not British agents but opportunists who got to make names for themselves. Wright and Fulton were agents who had got out of control. Recent papers emerging from the Sean Brown inquest suggest that all of the LVF’s Army Council were agents or informers except for Dungannon based ex kick-boxer Stuart Kirk, who is rumoured to have had involvement in the shooting dead of Portadown UVF chief Richard Jameson during the feud between the two loyalist groups.
5. I do not think Colm Murphy was ever a British asset despite carefully orchestrated suggestions to the contrary. He was always a very ordinary wee guy who like many such others would have lived a quiet and uneventful life but for the “ Troubles.” Politically though he was dyed in the wool, and remained so all his life.

Edited by Green Cockade - 25 Mar 2024 at 4:16pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 8:15pm

@ Green Cockade, Horsebox et al

Reading Deirdre Younge, Village etc.

Opinions on alleged Gardai collusion in deaths of Harry Breen and Bob Buchanan? My opinion is the tribunal was a show trial.

Opinions on Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness potentially being touts? The bullets used in the assassination attempt on Adams back in the 80s were replaced with rubber bullets. Another, separate, planned assassination was allegedly called off after an informer alerted intelligence agencies. McGuinness, meanwhile, was allegedly once seen leaving an MI5 safehouse in County Derry. There are some who believe it was Adams who set up the Tyrone branch of the IRA in the infamous Loughgall Ambush.

South Armagh IRA were notoriously distrustful of outsiders and refused to have anything to do with Scap. They also delivered some of the British Army's worst losses. Was Commander Slab Murphy as cerebral as I get the impression he was?

King Rat Billy Wright's assassination in prison struck me as similarly convenient to the suicide of Jeffrey Epstein with the amount of contrivances and oversight that led to the INLA assassins getting the opportunity to do him in. Was his death set up in part by British intelligence as he was a threat to the peace process? And, if so, does this mean Crip McWilliams, was too, a British asset?

Guns used in the assassitions of Breen and Buchanan were linked to the Kingsmill Massacre. Do you believe it's true that Colm Murphy was a British intelligence asset and killed Breen because he knew too much and British intelligence wanted him gone? It is fact that Breen knew his life was in danger and requested that, if anything was to happen to him, that Chief Constable John Hermon not be present at his funeral. Breen was linked to the Glenanne Gang and was strongly suspected of being involved in supplying intelligence to the mid-Ulster UVF. The plan was to murder Breen and Buchanan after being interrogated. The two policemen were murdered prematurely before any interrogation could take place.

There is no question the IRA were tipped off about Breen and Buchanan. Buchanan however used the same route on numerous occasions when attending meetings in Dundalk, so setting up such an ambush would have been fairly easy once info was received Breen and Buchanan were in Dundalk. Buchanan was deeply religious and felt God would protect him and Breen.

Adams was definitely not an agent or informer. The rumours in regards the bullets being tampered with when he was shot by the UDA was parroted by Liam Clarke who had been told this by Ian Hurst. Hurst was the man who had leaked the initial info on Stakeknife. He claimed the charge in the bullets had been tampered with and this was seen as a way to let the operation go ahead to protect highly placed agents but save Adams. Who knows if it is was actually done. There are holes in the theory. 

McGuinness was another I don't believe was an agent. More damning than Willie Carlins supposed sighting of him leaving an MI5 safe house was the Frank Hegarty fiasco. That episode still appears inexplicable in many ways. Overall though there is no evidence to support the claim McGuiness was an agent. 

In regards Loughall my own opinion is off a leak at a centralised very high level. Gerard Harte the main planner was adamant he had compartmentalised everything locally. However all operations had to be vetted by Northern Command. Only they knew all the details. Head of Northern Command was Martin McGuinness. But there were others around him on the Brigade staff who would have been aware of the Loughall operation. The leak probably came from there and whoever let it leak probably was behind the Frank Hegarty fiasco as well. I don't think it was McGuinness but someone close to him. What was more concerning was after Loughall the IRA set up an investigation headed by Gerard Harte and Freddie Scapattichi. They spoke with over 100 people- Scap got full knowledge of the Tyrone operations. He got full knowledge of safe houses and sympathisers. This was all passed to British Intelligence. After Loughall Republicans and sympathisers in East Tyrone underwent an onslaught. That had to have been Scap's doing to some degree.

South Armagh Brigade around 1983 grew suspicious of Scap and sent word to Belfast GHQ about their concerns. They then were adamant they would have nothing further to do with Belfast. Their attitude can be summed up in Eamon Collins book- Killing Rage.Questioned on the fact there may have been an informer in the unit by the ISU in Belfast they bluntly replied that if there is an informer 'down here' we will deal with him ourselves. South Armagh was to the Troubles what West Cork was to the War of Independence.

Billy Wright was a long standing British agent who had gotten out of control. The LVF according to John Stevens was under the control and direction of RUC Special Branch. In the end Wright knew too much and was becoming a liability. It is possible that those who killed Wright or some of them were also agents but it is hard to say. As an aside McWilliams was in prison for the murder of Colm Mahon in 1991. A manager at a bar he had been involved in an altercation with McWilliams and his friends having them removed from the premises. Later McWilliams returned with a gun and shot Mahon. Mahon was the brother and brother in law of Gerard and Catherine Mahon killed in 1985 allegedly by Scap and others. They had been sacrificed to take the heat off another agent named Joe Fenton who was later executed himself.

I was always suspicious of the allegation of planning to capture two high ranking Police officers for interrogation. They would have had the whole country looking for them and I don't see that being the South Armagh style. Better to go for a high profile hit and take any documents with them that were in the car. It would have been far too risky to capture and interrogate those two men. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 8:30pm
My understanding was that South Armagh and East Tyrone didn't report to Northern Command which is why both of them were so successful.

John Crawley touched on this in his book - anything NC got wind of got compromised.

Adams and McGuinness both spoke and dealt with the Brits at a high level, so I always felt it was lazy that they were considered agents, usually by Loyalists or dissidents to smear their names.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 8:45pm
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

My understanding was that South Armagh and East Tyrone didn't report to Northern Command which is why both of them were so successful.

John Crawley touched on this in his book - anything NC got wind of got compromised.

Adams and McGuinness both spoke and dealt with the Brits at a high level, so I always felt it was lazy that they were considered agents, usually by Loyalists or dissidents to smear their names.

John Crawley wasn't fond of McGuinness, didn't trust him. Neither did Fr. Patrick Ryan (The Padre). There have been reports MM was protected by MI5 and an agent.  
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 9:38pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

This is the cutting edge issue that most concerns Jim Allistersaurus. 

LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 9:56pm
Were there many suspicions over Rose Dugdale?
English woman who’s da was a Tory joining the Ra 
Surely they had to do a lot of checks to make sure she was genuine 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 129>
  Share Topic