You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 24>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Has anyone ever worked out what your house is actually costing over the course of the mortgage, initial purchase, solicitors, engineers then when you move in, insurance, average yearly home repairs. 

Nope ,but as a guess i would say double what you paid for the house .

Not double. Average mortgage is probably close to €250k at this stage with a term of 35 years so you would end up paying back c. €404k based on 3%. Shorten the term to 20 years and that falls to €332k.

it's definitely way over double the cost with inflation, interest rates, taxes, land rent, maintenance is the big one that no one factors in, there are so many impossible to list them all

the only long term winner are the banks and landlords

strive to become one of them LOL
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:00pm
Re MPI

Our Mortgage is through the Rebuilding Ireland scheme with DCC .

Very low fixed rate for 30 years but the MPI is €118 .......per month ShockedCry
Why no wine??!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:07pm
Next milestone for me is getting below 50% LTV so hoping to pay off extra and then be met with rising values.

Will bring me to 2.75% from 2.95%

Hoping that will be in and around this time next year all going well. 

Paying off extra early when interest is high is the key of you can manage it 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

Re MPI

Our Mortgage is through the Rebuilding Ireland scheme with DCC .

Very low fixed rate for 30 years but the MPI is €118 .......per month ShockedCry

That was a bit of a joke how that scheme was done with the cost and the restricted providers, local Councillor probably best to talk to about it 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Next milestone for me is getting below 50% LTV so hoping to pay off extra and then be met with rising values.

Interest is at a low point the last few years! 

Did you ever look at putting the money into the pension instead after that thread? 

0.2% seems nothing when pension returns 6%+ and Govt gives you either 20% or 40% relief, albeit that's obviously on much lower sums of money

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Interest is at a low point the last few years! 

Did you ever look at putting the money into the pension instead after that thread? 

0.2% seems nothing when pension returns 6%+ and Govt gives you either 20% or 40% relief, albeit that's obviously on much lower sums of money

No what I mean is that interest is at its highest when the principle is at its highest, so paying down early days will save a nice few quid over the long term

Yep I'll be speaking to the boss in the next couple of weeks, he is setting up a pension for me so I'm happy with that  
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 7:05pm
Ah, I get ya now, best of luck with it 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 7:10pm

You can get 2.45% 3 or 5 year fixed. 
AKA pedantic kunt
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Yeah I know I can alright. I just like the freedom of paying extra whenever I get the opportunity 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Has anyone ever worked out what your house is actually costing over the course of the mortgage, initial purchase, solicitors, engineers then when you move in, insurance, average yearly home repairs. 

Not double. Average mortgage is probably close to €250k at this stage with a term of 35 years so you would end up paying back c. €404k based on 3%. Shorten the term to 20 years and that falls to €332k.

it's definitely way over double the cost with inflation, interest rates, taxes, land rent, maintenance is the big one that no one factors in, there are so many impossible to list them all

Yer  think Sausy didnt build that in to the question from Artie. Maintenance can be big as i was told everything in the house needs to be changed every 20 years , again this depends on many things kids ripping up the place or a wife who like to change everything every 4 years year so many things you don't figure in in the course of 35 years . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 7:49pm

Yer  think Sausy didnt build that in to the question from Artie. Maintenance can be big as i was told everything in the house needs to be changed every 20 years , again this depends on many things kids ripping up the place or a wife who like to change everything every 4 years year so many things you don't figure in in the course of 35 years . 

But on the other side your house should more than double in value over a 35 year period. Also very tax efficient for inheritance tax purposes. 

As a long term investment it’s very safe, hence the expression, safe as houses.

The number one method of becoming a millionaire is through property. 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 05 Jan 2021 at 7:50pm

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 8:50am

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

So only €72,000 owed on a 250k house. Didn't think they'd be that low 

Good info Thumbs Up

Yeah but at only 20 year mortgage. 1700 monthly repayments over 20 years. Seems reasonable enough if you've two earners in the family when compared to rent

Yeah I know it's 20 years but still I'd have assumed the repayments would be more. 

Sausy just curious if say a house was 400k and you have 300k - do banks just give you a normal loan for the 100k or any loans for a house have to be a mortgage? Our situation is in 2-3 years we'd be close to buying a house out right with no loan/mortgage needed  

There are limits on how much and how long a term the banks will do without security, usually this is <€100k and up to 7 years. So unless you can afford to pay €100k back over 7 years at a much higher rate then it will be the mortgage route. It's for the same reason that most people take out equity releases (over the remaining term of the original mortgage) for extensions etc.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 8:55am

Can you elaborate more on this?

Inflation can make a mortgage cheaper providing rates are steady enough. I'd seriously hope to be earning more in 10 years time (based on inflation/cost of living increases etc) but my mortgage will still be €1k pm. Enjoy your annual rent increases.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 9:44am

Yeah I know it's 20 years but still I'd have assumed the repayments would be more. 

Sausy just curious if say a house was 400k and you have 300k - do banks just give you a normal loan for the 100k or any loans for a house have to be a mortgage? Our situation is in 2-3 years we'd be close to buying a house out right with no loan/mortgage needed  
[/QUOTE]

That’s a great position to be in.

You should have a good think about maximising your investment tho.

You could buy a house with a mortgage and another buy-to-let house/flat. That way you are getting rental income that covers your buy-to-let mortgage.
Interest rates are at an all time low and rental income is at an all time high. 

Or have a look on the pensions thread. You could be maximising your pension contributions over the next few years. 

There is nothing wrong with buying a house with no mortgage either. Just some options to consider. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:24am

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Yeah I know I can alright. I just like the freedom of paying extra whenever I get the opportunity 

But you could put that money away and invest it for 5 years and then pay it down when the fixed term is up and you will have got benefit of both. 
AKA pedantic kunt
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:45am

Presuming you have about 30 years left on the mortgage you'll only see an €11 drop in monthly repays per €100k with the rate reduction. As mentioned already you might be better off putting extra into a pension than lumping against the mortgage.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:57am

Presuming you have about 30 years left on the mortgage you'll only see an €11 drop in monthly repays per €100k with the rate reduction. As mentioned already you might be better off putting extra into a pension than lumping against the mortgage.
13 and a half years left Sausy. I'm not looking to reduce the term rather than the repayments.

I see what you mean Baldy and definitely something I have thought before.

But my logic is that I pay off the bulk of this early while I can. I don't know what's around the corner and if something does happen I'd rather have a small mortgage to deal with. 
Wuhan by the Sea View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wuhan by the Sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 11:26am
Going through the whole mortgage craic at the moment as I received planning permission just before Xmas. Very limited with the mortgages you can get going through the self build route. narrowed it down to AIB and EBS.  Probably siding with EBS as money is quicker to release during construction and 2% cash back at final draw down along with 2.9% fixed for one year and then you can go to the market after 12 months. AIB offering 2.35% for 3 years with no cash back. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 24>
  Share Topic