You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Currently paying 2.9%

Thoughts Sausy?
paying 2.25% ‘Green’ rate fixed for 5 years on one and 2.75% on the other variable. I always chip a few extra quid off this one every month. 

When you say you chip a few quid extra off one every month, how do you organise this? Just a DD into that account?

I pay a bit extra off a few times a year, but it's just a simple transfer to the mortgage account. Then I write to the bank and say I've paid X amount off the principle, but I want to maintain the same payments.

Usually get a letter then saying mortgage has been amended and will now terminate on X date

If you don't write to them they will adjust the mortgage payment amount and not the term
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:31pm

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Currently paying 2.9%

Thoughts Sausy?
paying 2.25% ‘Green’ rate fixed for 5 years on one and 2.75% on the other variable. I always chip a few extra quid off this one every month. 

When you say you chip a few quid extra off one every month, how do you organise this? Just a DD into that account?
have a standing order and then throw a few quid extra at times using internet banking.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:46pm

Currently paying 2.9%

Thoughts Sausy?

On similar myself until Dec this year until I fix again. Might even change mortgage providers, all depends on the rates at the time.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:47pm
Regarding overpaying on your monthly repayments, even on a fixed mortgage most providers will allow you to pay an additional 10% without any issue on breakage fee's etc.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Currently paying 2.9%

Thoughts Sausy?

On similar myself until Dec this year until I fix again. Might even change mortgage providers, all depends on the rates at the time.

Yeah i am fixed until june and might have a nosey then.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 4:47pm

Currently paying 2.9%

Thoughts Sausy?

You can work it out from here 

If you are looking to remortgage try

Doodle.ie
Free online platform that does all the work

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 4:57pm

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Has anyone ever worked out what your house is actually costing over the course of the mortgage, initial purchase, solicitors, engineers then when you move in, insurance, average yearly home repairs. 

Nope ,but as a guess i would say double what you paid for the house .

Not double. Average mortgage is probably close to €250k at this stage with a term of 35 years so you would end up paying back c. €404k based on 3%. Shorten the term to 20 years and that falls to €332k.

So only €72,000 owed on a 250k house. Didn't think they'd be that low 

Good info Thumbs Up
It would damage this forums' reputation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 4:58pm
That's in sterling but yeah, i get the idea.
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:00pm

Has anyone ever worked out what your house is actually costing over the course of the mortgage, initial purchase, solicitors, engineers then when you move in, insurance, average yearly home repairs. 

Not double. Average mortgage is probably close to €250k at this stage with a term of 35 years so you would end up paying back c. €404k based on 3%. Shorten the term to 20 years and that falls to €332k.

Good info Thumbs Up

Yeah but at only 20 year mortgage. 1700 monthly repayments over 20 years. Seems reasonable enough if you've two earners in the family when compared to rent
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:01pm

That's in sterling but yeah, i get the idea.
plenty of irish sites too, www.bonkers.ie do a comparison. Main banks have calculators online
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

If Planning said the sky was blue I'd look out the window to check. 

I've heard the about double the cost but that's for the mortgage repayments - there are a lot of other expenditures that over time add up to a considerable amount, was wondering if anyone has ever taken the time to roughly work it all out.

There is too many factors at play:
What initial deposit you put down
Your average interest rate over the time 
The condition of the house when you bought it
Who you married *
The value of your house at the end

To pay double on the mortgage you would have to be paying 5% interest over 20 years on Interest only.....
With the initial deposit and paying down capital amounts each month this is be much less...

* this is key, if you married somebody who wants a new kitchen / bathroom / stairs every 5 years you have messed up big time. 

* very much key 

My original question was if anyone had actually decided to work it out for themselves based on their circumstances. 

For most people it will be the biggest thing they will ever purchase, and yet a lot of people don't work the maths out, or switch provider or just rent. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:12pm

Good info Thumbs Up

Yeah but at only 20 year mortgage. 1700 monthly repayments over 20 years. Seems reasonable enough if you've two earners in the family when compared to rent

Yeah I know it's 20 years but still I'd have assumed the repayments would be more. 

Sausy just curious if say a house was 400k and you have 300k - do banks just give you a normal loan for the 100k or any loans for a house have to be a mortgage? Our situation is in 2-3 years we'd be close to buying a house out right with no loan/mortgage needed  
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:15pm

I've heard the about double the cost but that's for the mortgage repayments - there are a lot of other expenditures that over time add up to a considerable amount, was wondering if anyone has ever taken the time to roughly work it all out.

Who you married *

To pay double on the mortgage you would have to be paying 5% interest over 20 years on Interest only.....
With the initial deposit and paying down capital amounts each month this is be much less...

* this is key, if you married somebody who wants a new kitchen / bathroom / stairs every 5 years you have messed up big time. 

* very much key 

My original question was if anyone had actually decided to work it out for themselves based on their circumstances. 

For most people it will be the biggest thing they will ever purchase, and yet a lot of people don't work the maths out, or switch provider or just rent. 

The mortgage over rent is a no brainier. It’s hard to work out all the ins and outs over the timeframe. 

It’s like working out how much will this marriage cost me??? 

Switching will save you loads over the long run. 

My aul man had the same mortgage the whole time. That’s how it was done back then.

I’m onto my 3rd provider after 12 years. It makes a big difference to switch as much as possible. 

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:22pm
Are there any conditions or penalties to switching ?

Some are offering €3k if you switch while also saving €80 per month.

Also whats the average people pay for Mortgage Protection Insurance, Im currently paying €60pm and told its high.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Also whats the average people pay for Mortgage Protection Insurance, Im currently paying €60pm and told its high.
if you’re currently in a fixed term and switch there would be penalties. 

Thats very high. Under €150 a year is what im paying. Should really shop around, again it can be done online very easily.

Edited by Sham157 - 05 Jan 2021 at 5:27pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Yeah I work in the industry, that would want to be a very expensive house or a policy with a lot of extras.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:32pm

Who you married *

* very much key 

The mortgage over rent is a no brainier. It’s hard to work out all the ins and outs over the timeframe. 

It’s like working out how much will this marriage cost me??? 

Switching will save you loads over the long run. 

My aul man had the same mortgage the whole time. That’s how it was done back then.

I’m onto my 3rd provider after 12 years. It makes a big difference to switch as much as possible. 

I must ask my family and friends if they have switched. I bet few if any have
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:33pm
I wish, no just average house.

He quoted me €220pm and I told where to go as I have a very good Private Health package in work.

Will shop around, cheers.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
  Share Topic