You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 10:41pm
AKA pedantic kunt
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 10:16am
Would anyone have any experience in buying cross border? Living in Belfast but I've part-inherited my grannys place up in Donegal and looking at mortgage options for buying out the other parties. Have looked up a few things and have a couple appointments with mortgage advisers but just wondering if anyone had first hand experience, always good to hear from the horses mouth 

Edited by notpropaganda73 - 03 Mar 2022 at 10:17am
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 10:24am
I'd get a recommendation of a broker around the boarder counties as they should have plenty of experience and save you the hassle of each Banks policy on non residents taking out mortgages.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 12:50pm
AIB broke my fixed term and let us switch to 5-year fixed green at 2.1% Upped the payments slightly and it took 18 months off the term. Very happy with that
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 1:03pm
Ended up breaking my current 1 year fixed term at 2.9% with EBS and locked in for free for 5 years at 2.75%.

The cost of the switch (at this very point in life) was just too much right now with other life expenses. 

Happy to be locked in for the 5 years at a reduction when there's all sorts of central bank interest rate scares being talked about.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 1:49pm
ICS putting their fixed rates up. Sign of things to come I think. Happy to be locked in for 5 years as well
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 8:48am
Mad thing about mortgage rates is that there are a proportion of people out there paying way over the odds. Pal of mine paying variable rate of 3.75% currently when he could have a 2% green mortgage in his A rated gaff. 

Mad stuff. Naturally, he is on the blower to them first thing today.
AS YOU WERE McGx

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 10:04am
I think percentages confuse some people. I’ve had to explain the difference in real terms of lowering your mortgage rate to a few friends.

It’s an old trick in negotiation training where you ask someone the following:
If you usually charge a client a rate of 20% and they are asking to pay 15% instead, how much % discount are they seeking?
You’d be surprised how many people say 5%. 

Edited by MC Hammered - 16 Mar 2022 at 10:04am
El Puto Amo
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 12:14pm
We've gone from 2.45% to 2.1%. It's small in terms of monthly payments but if you retain or slightly increase payments, it's a nice bit from the mortgage term
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

We've gone from 2.45% to 2.1%. It's small in terms of monthly payments but if you retain or slightly increase payments, it's a nice bit from the mortgage term
Yeah it all depends on the size of the mortgage too, a 0.35% saving when you've €50-€100k left on a mortgage is a lot less that someone who has just started a €400k mortgage.

Chopping it off the term of the mortgage is the best way to do it, it's an odd way to think about it, but you've basically given yourself a big pay rise for a year or so when you're in your 50's/60's
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 10:24pm
Anybody switch mortgages recently? How long did it take? Coming towards the end of fixed rate term in June and want to jump, but fear I might be cutting it fine.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Yeah it all depends on the size of the mortgage too, a 0.35% saving when you've €50-€100k left on a mortgage is a lot less that someone who has just started a €400k mortgage.

Chopping it off the term of the mortgage is the best way to do it, it's an odd way to think about it, but you've basically given yourself a big pay rise for a year or so when you're in your 50's/60's

Do providers have to accept overpayments? How do you sort it? For example, can i email and say, thanks for the percentage cut but can i retain the repayments as they were before?

Or could i hypothetically email and ask to pay 100 extra a month say?
AS YOU WERE McGx

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 10:38pm
When I changed % I wrote to them and said I want to increase my payments to €x.

Was no problem with aib anyway 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Do providers have to accept overpayments? How do you sort it? For example, can i email and say, thanks for the percentage cut but can i retain the repayments as they were before?

Ive been overPaying one of mine for around 3 years now. AIB have a form, and Im sure the others are similar, whereby you nominate your amount. Its very straightforward. Also if you have a lump sum, you can pay it off and decide whether it reduces the term or reduces your monthly payment.

Edited by Sham157 - 11 Apr 2022 at 10:44pm
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 10:50pm

Ye if it’s not a fixed term they have to let you pay off early or increase your monthly payment.  If it’s fixed term they still have to let you but likely have penalty clauses in the contract so big it’s not worth it. 

Team Emmet
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 10:52pm
anyone with a KBC mortgage heard anything about what happens when they transfer to BOI? 

We got our rate lowered by .25% by virtue of having a KBC current account.  That account can’t exist when they feck off but can’t figure out if BOi have to honour that reduction 
Team Emmet
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Anybody switch mortgages recently? How long did it take? Coming towards the end of fixed rate term in June and want to jump, but fear I might be cutting it fine.
At the end of your fixed rate you just move to the variable rate, so it's no problem then to leave that in June, July or August, whenever the other one comes through.
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 11:12am

Ended up breaking my current 1 year fixed term at 2.9% with EBS and locked in for free for 5 years at 2.75%.

The cost of the switch (at this very point in life) was just too much right now with other life expenses. 

Happy to be locked in for the 5 years at a reduction when there's all sorts of central bank interest rate scares being talked about.
I ended up doing this too. Switching is complicated for me as Fingal CC have a small charge on my apartment. It only kicks in at an amount way above my mortgage now, but the Broker told me Avant probably wouldn't accept me for a switch and it would be very complicated with other lenders. So I've just stayed with EBS, and fixed for 5 years at 2.75%.

I was going to pay a lump sum off from some savings, but then I thought I may get a notion to travel, or whatever, the next few years, so best to have money available now, particularly with inflation beginning to impact. The interest paid over 35 years is colossal, but on the other hand, once it goes into the mortgage, that's it, you can never retrieve it. I can cope with the payments now and live okay. I would be in a much tighter situation if rates jumped say +2% quickly in the next year. With inflation, salaries will probably jump a bit over the next couple of years and so reduce my percentage outgoing on the mortgage. 

I'm happy to be locked in at this rate now too.
The 2.1% green rate would be fantastic, but I'm about C2 BER and it wasn't simple to get to a B3 BER.

Your post settled my mind a bit as I was thinking everyone is switching. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
  Share Topic