You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:57pm
I think I'm paying 2.45% currently. Fixed for another 2 years. LTV is below 50% now though and also have the BER up in the Bs, so I could have got the green mortgage at 2.1%. So I'm a little bit sick with that!

Avant offering great rates but are they extremely selective who they deal with?

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
cullenswood View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Have a tracker with ptsb and thinking of selling, heard somewhere that there's no penalty/fee for paying off tracker early but can't get confirmation from the bank, they keep sending me round in circles

A tracker is a variable rate, so there would not be any penalties for repaying early.   Fixed rate mortgages would have some penalties, depending on the term of the fixed rate period.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I think I'm paying 2.45% currently. Fixed for another 2 years. LTV is below 50% now though and also have the BER up in the Bs, so I could have got the green mortgage at 2.1%. So I'm a little bit sick with that!

In what respect? Broker wise? There is criteria on the geography of your house etc. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:35pm
With Ulster Bank who are pulling out of the market this year. Went through a Broker and just about to fix with PTSB @ 2.5% for 3 years. 2% Cashback will more than cover the fees/solicitor and and leave a few bob left over for a holiday🤞

Can't see rates dropping in the short term anyway so happy enough with this
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Yeah about the €1,500 - €2k mark to move usually, whatever the solicitor charged you first time round really, less the stamp duty obviously.

Hard to know with interest rates. 
Pressure on government to lower them in line with European banks (which I don't see happening),
Competition between the irish banks seems to be lowering them recently (including via Avant),
But then there's a chance the ECB could increase interest rates to quell inflation.

Pick a rate you're happy to pay and forget about it is the easiest thing. I'm about 3 years into a 5 year fixed, could be getting cheaper now but wasn't to know that at the time.

How could the government lower interest rates? 
Realistically it'd never happen, but the banks say they can't afford to go lower due to our eviction laws (Family Home is protected very strongly here even if you stop paying repayments). Hence why foreign banks have little interest in coming in here or won't give loans on Irish properties. So in theory the government could make changes to entice foreign banks to offer mortgages to irish people.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

In what respect? Broker wise? There is criteria on the geography of your house etc. 
Yeah there's only about 40 brokers that can apply to them.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 5:13pm

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Yeah about the €1,500 - €2k mark to move usually, whatever the solicitor charged you first time round really, less the stamp duty obviously.

Hard to know with interest rates. 
Pressure on government to lower them in line with European banks (which I don't see happening),
Competition between the irish banks seems to be lowering them recently (including via Avant),
But then there's a chance the ECB could increase interest rates to quell inflation.

Pick a rate you're happy to pay and forget about it is the easiest thing. I'm about 3 years into a 5 year fixed, could be getting cheaper now but wasn't to know that at the time.

How could the government lower interest rates? 
Realistically it'd never happen, but the banks say they can't afford to go lower due to our eviction laws (Family Home is protected very strongly here even if you stop paying repayments). Hence why foreign banks have little interest in coming in here or won't give loans on Irish properties. So in theory the government could make changes to entice foreign banks to offer mortgages to irish people.

Easier said than done alright! My wife works in that area, very frustrating to hear of people who make absolutely no effort to pay their mortgage getting reprives, with the rest of us paying for it. 

Ours is for renewal in Dec, with prices going up, hoping to get under 60 LTV and take the 1.95 for seven years with Avant. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:30am

Do banks charge if mark was to say move to the green mortgage with the same provider?  

Surely worth a call to the bank ?

AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Do banks charge if mark was to say move to the green mortgage with the same provider?  

Surely worth a call to the bank ?

Depending on the bank there is a break clause for "ending" you fixed rate but sometimes it's fairly nominal (€150 to save €20/k per annum). Sounds like MM has a good whack paid off tho so the savings mightn't be as much.

Other banks are stickier and won't let you switch to another product from that same bank, you have to switch to a competitor.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:07am
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Have a tracker with ptsb and thinking of selling, heard somewhere that there's no penalty/fee for paying off tracker early but can't get confirmation from the bank, they keep sending me round in circles

No penalty for clearing off any variable rate loan. If you are selling to trade up then PTSB might let you keep the tracker but increase the margin so well worth checking that out.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:11am

Anybody remortgage via avant of late? Just submitted all the info there. Just wondering ballpark cost of switching with solicitors fees etc.

What's the future of interest rates looking like? 

Valuation should be around the €150 mark. If you are using the same solicitor as last time then in theory it should be cheaper as they should have registered the title and any qualifications correctly the last time (that could be a big "if" is done during boom days) so would have less work time wise this time around.

Interest rate wise, EURIBOR is actually negative at the moment and going by what the Banks are offering on long term rates there is no sign of any significant increases coming.

Edited by sausy - 08 Feb 2022 at 10:17am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:41am
Just had a look back to see what the Solicitor bills were in my initial buy V remortgage....

Bought house in 2016 (Total €2446)
Solicitor fee: €1260
Registration of Mortgage: €296
Land registry Fees: €800
Other Fees: €90

Remortgage 2018 (Total €934)
Solicitor Fee: €638

Add on the revaluation that the bank requires in both scenarios.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:48am

Just had a look back to see what the Solicitor bills were in my initial buy V remortgage....

Bought house in 2016 (Total €2446)
Solicitor fee: €1260
Land registry Fees: €800
Other Fees: €90

Remortgage 2018 (Total €934)
Solicitor Fee: €638

Add on the revaluation that the bank requires in both scenarios.

Was quoted 1370 this morning which seems a little on the high side. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:50am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Anybody remortgage via avant of late? Just submitted all the info there. Just wondering ballpark cost of switching with solicitors fees etc.

Valuation should be around the €150 mark. If you are using the same solicitor as last time then in theory it should be cheaper as they should have registered the title and any qualifications correctly the last time (that could be a big "if" is done during boom days) so would have less work time wise this time around.

Interest rate wise, EURIBOR is actually negative at the moment and going by what the Banks are offering on long term rates there is no sign of any significant increases coming.

Cheers Saus. 

Had a chat with a broker yesterday eve. Current interest rate im paying circa 90k on top of the capital. Switch to avant and i get it down by circa 35k. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:04am
Just had a chat with mortgage advisor here in town, so I have to write to her to ask if there is a breakage if I leave the fixed term. There usually is, but a lot of the time she said they will let you break it for little or not charge.

We've just installed PV panels so our BER is above the B3 now, so we are entitled to the green rate at 2.1%. So just need to sort out a few things here to get the ball rolling!

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:22am

Cheers Saus. 

Had a chat with a broker yesterday eve. Current interest rate im paying circa 90k on top of the capital. Switch to avant and i get it down by circa 35k. 

Interesting way of describing your situation. I take you mean the cost of credit/borrowing will reduce from €90k to €55k which seems like a massive drop so well worth following up.

We only just got the 1% cash bonus keeping the mortgage with the same bank for 5 years so will definitely look at switching this year to get another bonus deal as well as hopefully a lower rate. Our LTV is down to 55-60% I reckon at the minute due property prices so hopefully a saving will be found.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:37am

Cheers Saus. 

Interesting way of describing your situation. I take you mean the cost of credit/borrowing will reduce from €90k to €55k which seems like a massive drop so well worth following up.

We only just got the 1% cash bonus keeping the mortgage with the same bank for 5 years so will definitely look at switching this year to get another bonus deal as well as hopefully a lower rate. Our LTV is down to 55-60% I reckon at the minute due property prices so hopefully a saving will be found.

Aye, that's it. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:47am

Just had a chat with mortgage advisor here in town, so I have to write to her to ask if there is a breakage if I leave the fixed term. There usually is, but a lot of the time she said they will let you break it for little or not charge.

We've just installed PV panels so our BER is above the B3 now, so we are entitled to the green rate at 2.1%. So just need to sort out a few things here to get the ball rolling!

What BER did you start with.  I am at C1 and would like to get to B3 to qualify for Green Mortgage.  Anyone know cheapest way of getting from C1 to B3. (Feels like leaving cert again). 

Attic insulation I am guessing is probably a good starting point.  
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>
  Share Topic