You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mortgages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 24>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:58am
Boat ?  I suppose you are in the Yacht Club.
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Approve

Full paid up member Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 9:02am
 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_8

This is where the Yacht clubs Zoom
Meetings took place 
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I would love a houseboat. There's a ten year waiting list for moorings here though.Cry
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:39am
A bit of advice needed folks.

I am short between €60 & 80k in my budget to finish a house. I have the site and a big wedge of savings in my AIB account which is added to on a monthly basis.

I am currently resident and employed full time in UK with my salary paid into a UK account. I haven't been furloughed. The company has a policy of letting staff work from home but not outside the UK - made all the more complicated since Brexit. 

My question is...what is the best way to secure the finance I need to fill the gap in my budget? At present I could get a personal loan (with a ludicrous APR of circa 10%) from my UK bank but it would only cover roughly 50% of the short fall. They won't approve a mortgage for a property outside the UK unless it is a second home and you have to use your primary residence as collateral - so that rules that out. AIB require customers to be an irish resident to avail of their best rates. Last time i checked aib customers who are UK residents are required to have a 40% deposit and a higher interest rate if they seek a mortgage with the bank.

Anyone got any ideas on how to bridge the gap? Would ye recommend a mortgage advisor at this stage?

Edited by colemanY2K - 17 Feb 2021 at 11:59am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:47am
 https://doddl.ie/
Try this mortgage broker - it’s free 

as far as I know you will need 40% deposit as you are from the UK. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

https://doddl.ie/
Try this mortgage broker - it’s free 

as far as I know you will need 40% deposit as you are from the UK. 
thanks zinedine. 

this will be a self-build. their website seems to only deal with buying an existing house or switching. i'll get in touch with them nevertheless.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:04pm
You should be able to get a 'Buy to Let' mortgage but will require at least 35% deposit and interest rate will be slightly higher than, say, a First time buyer mortgage.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

A bit of advice needed folks.

I am short between €60 & 80k in my budget to finish a house. I have the site and a big wedge of savings in my AIB account which is added to on a monthly basis.

I am currently resident and employed full time in UK with my salary paid into a UK account. I haven't been furloughed. The company has a policy of letting staff work from home but not outside the UK - made all the more complicated since Brexit. 

My question is...what is the best way to secure the finance I need to fill the gap in my budget? At present I could get a personal loan (with a ludicrous APR of circa 10%) from my UK bank but it would only cover roughly 50% of the short fall. They won't approve a mortgage for a property outside the UK unless it is a second home and you have to use your primary residence as collateral - so that rules that out. AIB require customers to be an irish resident to avail of their best rates. Last time i checked aib customers who are UK residents are required to have a 40% deposit and a higher interest rate if they seek a mortgage with the bank.

Anyone got any ideas on how to bridge the gap? Would ye recommend a mortgage advisor at this stage?
Definitely go with a mortgage broker. They'll know any companies that deal with your situation. They usually operate on a no-mortgage-no-fee model too so you've nothing to lose by talking to them
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:35pm
cheers folks. 

sounds like a no brainer to go with a mortgage broker even its for a relatively small sum. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:32pm
Anybody remortgage via avant of late? Just submitted all the info there. Just wondering ballpark cost of switching with solicitors fees etc.

What's the future of interest rates looking like? 

Edited by McG - 07 Feb 2022 at 1:33pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:01pm
Looking to switch in the coming months myself and looks like valuation and solicitor will come to around €1,500 to €2,000.

Avant's rates attracted me, but I looked at PTSB who offer a 2% cash back and whilst their rates are slightly higher than Avant, the numbers stack up for me to fix with them for 3 years.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:17pm
Yeah about the €1,500 - €2k mark to move usually, whatever the solicitor charged you first time round really, less the stamp duty obviously.

Hard to know with interest rates. 
Pressure on government to lower them in line with European banks (which I don't see happening),
Competition between the irish banks seems to be lowering them recently (including via Avant),
But then there's a chance the ECB could increase interest rates to quell inflation.

Pick a rate you're happy to pay and forget about it is the easiest thing. I'm about 3 years into a 5 year fixed, could be getting cheaper now but wasn't to know that at the time.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:20pm
The real appeal to me is the fact that with Avant ill knock 5 years off my mortgage if i keep paying what i am paying now which is comfortable. Like us all, we build a lifestyle around our mortgage etc. 

Currently paying 2.9 with EBS locked in until July.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:26pm
Got 2% back from BOI 13 months ago, fixed for one year. Another 2% last month from EBS, looks like it'll be PTSB next Jan for another 2% unless they drop it during the year. Solicitor was €1500 and valuation was €150. Great little gravy train it is.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:28pm
Where do you find the time????????
AS YOU WERE McGx

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Yeah about the €1,500 - €2k mark to move usually, whatever the solicitor charged you first time round really, less the stamp duty obviously.

Hard to know with interest rates. 
Pressure on government to lower them in line with European banks (which I don't see happening),
Competition between the irish banks seems to be lowering them recently (including via Avant),
But then there's a chance the ECB could increase interest rates to quell inflation.

Pick a rate you're happy to pay and forget about it is the easiest thing. I'm about 3 years into a 5 year fixed, could be getting cheaper now but wasn't to know that at the time.

How could the government lower interest rates? 
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:49pm
Have a tracker with ptsb and thinking of selling, heard somewhere that there's no penalty/fee for paying off tracker early but can't get confirmation from the bank, they keep sending me round in circles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 24>
  Share Topic