You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan Manning (QPR)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Any person who uses the term "luxury player" doesn't understand football. There are different types of midfielders; some are constantly involved, they look for the ball, move it on quickly, and essentially keep things ticking over without doing anything too special. Guys like Arter, Williams, and Meyler probably fit that bill for us.

Then you have midfielders who flit in and out of games, but who come up with genuine moments of quality. That would be Hendrick and Hourihane; Hendrick in the form of penetrating runs and clever flicks, and Hourihane in terms of goals and good deliveries.

For what it's worth, I don't think Manning has shown himself to be anything more than decent at Championship level, Hourihane has been far, far more inpressive over the past few years. He hasn't been great in his small number of appearances for us, but it's worth noting that there are some extenuating circumstances (such as being played in defensive midfield which is not his natural position; and our overall disjointed style of play which doesn't flatter any of our midfielders).

We're never going to play the style of football needed to fit Hourihane into the team, in the unlikely event we ever do, he is possibly behind both Hendrick and Browne in the pecking order.

Hourihane hasn't really been impressive since signing for Villa and realistically we don't have the space in our squad to fit all three of Hourihane, Hendrick and Browne into the squad, when all midfielders are fit.

Now I'm not saying Manning should be starting games, but he does look like he could be half decent and is still only a young lad. 

When you consider that McCarthy (injury) and Meyler are both short of playing time, Harry Arter doesn't want to play for us and Shaun Williams has only just emerged, there is undoubtedly a slot up for grabs in defensive midfield and Manning is not a million miles off any of those players, considering he's playing regularly at the moment.

Hourihane has been given his chance and has done next to nothing with it, and that seems to be how things are going for him at Villa right now too.

How has he not been impressive for Villa? He's started basically every game since signing bar the last 3/4, and has continued his excellent goalscoring record. You act as if his being dropped by Villa for the past few games proves that he's not up to it, but lest we forgot that Manning struggled to get onto the bench at times for a useless QPR side last season, and was shipped out on loan to newly-promoted Rotherham this term. That is hardly the track record of a youngster on the up, and it's certainly nowhere near the form Hourihane has produced in the Championship. 

When Conor Hourihane was Ryan Manning's age he was playing for Plymouth in League 2. 

Manning has only played about 40 Championship games and has only just turned 22, he has shown flashes of his talent in those games.

If he can play regularly at Championship level, then there's a decent chance that he'll improve further. 

I'd be very surprised if Hourihane improves at this stage of his club career, and with the competition of Browne and Hendrick I'm not sure if there will be many more chances at international level either. Nothing in any of his six international appearances suggest that he has much to offer at this level.

He deserves another chance or two, because as you said he has done well on occasion in the Championship, but for me personally, if he does not impress soon his squad place should be given to a younger player. 

Certain Championship players do not suit international football, and even if Hourihane managed to score 10/15 goals from midfield this season, I wouldn't be sold on him. 

Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:02pm
Though Hourihane hasn't impressed greatly at Villa thus far, his Barnsley form is a greater indicator of what he is truly capable of, where he was captain and absolutely adored by the fans. Last season, despite not hitting the heights he managed at Oakwell, he still became the first Aston Villa midfielder to score a hattrick since David Platt in 1991, and was the second top scoring midfielder in the Championship after James Maddison, who subsequently made a £20 million move to Premier League Leicester City.

His goal today was a bit special as well. I think Manning has a little way to go yet before he reaches Hourihane's level.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 15 Sep 2018 at 11:08pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:26pm
Manning can play left back, left wing, wing back, attacking or defensive mid, that's just positions I've seen him play myself, we don't have many when that versatility, think that alone makes him worth a look, that and he is a serious talent.

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Though Hourihane hasn't impressed greatly at Villa thus far, his Barnsley form is a greater indicator of what he is truly capable of, where he was captain and absolutely adored by the fans. Last season, despite not hitting the heights he managed at Oakwell, he still became the first Aston Villa midfielder to score a hattrick since David Platt in 1991, and was the second top scoring midfielder in the Championship after James Maddison, who subsequently made a £20 million move to Premier League Leicester City.

His goal today was a bit special as well. I think Manning has a little way to go yet before he reaches Hourihane's level.

Hourihane is not even half the player that James Maddison is unfortunately. 

I'd be shocked if he ever plays in the Premier League. Manning of course has a long way to go, but he has time on his side, Hourihane would want to find the form of his life over the course of the next season or two in order to truly fulfil his potential. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Manning can play left back, left wing, wing back, attacking or defensive mid, that's just positions I've seen him play myself, we don't have many when that versatility, think that alone makes him worth a look, that and he is a serious talent.

I'm pretty sure that for a very brief period when he first emerged at QPR, he even played a game or two upfront.

It's a no brainer to get a talented young player who can play in several positions into the squad. Especially when he has played more games at a decent level than most of our other defensive midfielders this season. 

Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:30pm
absolutely he could be called up. Hes playing weekly now and influencing games. Why shouldnt we be looking at him in the senior squad. Better than wasting away under King. Be interesting to see if Towell can perform well if he gets a call up. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:39pm

Eddie McGoldrick could play in a few positions as well. Gary Doherty could play at the back and up front. Versatility isn't always the greatest indicator of ability. Manning, while obviously not without talent, is some way off deserving a senior call up just at the moment.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 15 Sep 2018 at 11:40pm
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:46pm
Some way off ? yeah lets wait till hes 28 and call him up for a friendly. He would be well able now. Look at Curtis ffs. These lads need blooding early. . 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:48pm

I'd be shocked if he ever plays in the Premier League. Manning of course has a long way to go, but he has time on his side, Hourihane would want to find the form of his life over the course of the next season or two in order to truly fulfil his potential. 

I didn't suggest Hourihane was comparable in quality to Maddison.

I don't believe it entirely fanciful that Villa (one of the favourites for promotion) go up and Hourihane gets a chance to play top flight football. I wouldn't be quite 'shocked' by this outcome, in any case. I do believe the Championship is his natural level, however.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Some way off ? yeah lets wait till hes 28 and call him up for a friendly. He would be well able now. Look at Curtis ffs. These lads need blooding early. . 

He's started a couple of matches on loan at Rotherham, let's not get ahead of ourselves. He made no impression for a struggling QPR side this season and last.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:09am

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

He's started a couple of matches on loan at Rotherham, let's not get ahead of ourselves. He made no impression for a struggling QPR side this season and last.

I wouldnt say he made no impression. No reason he couldnt be called up.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:10am

I didn't suggest Hourihane was comparable in quality to Maddison.

I don't believe it entirely fanciful that Villa (one of the favourites for promotion) go up and Hourihane gets a chance to play top flight football. I wouldn't be quite 'shocked' by this outcome, in any case. I do believe the Championship is his natural level, however.

He’s the type of player who gets sold the minute a championship club gets promoted. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 4:53am
Agree with Mac here. Though I take O'Shea's point about us being exceptionally disjointed and therefore difficult for Hourihane to make an impression, especially after being played in various different midfield positions, I've rarely seen a lad look quite as lost for us in his first few caps.  Williams seems to have taken to the international game a lot quicker, even though he isn't as talented as Hourihane is. 

As for Manning, seen little enough of him in the past year, but surely worth a call to the squad, there are Reading & Preston players already in it, and Rotherham are no worse than those teams, he might well be able to make the cut in what is an overall weak squad. 

Not suggesting dropping Conor either, we need as many as we can get, and it might just take him a bit more time to adjust, or maybe a different International manager to get more out of him. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 7:47am

Eddie McGoldrick could play in a few positions as well. Gary Doherty could play at the back and up front. Versatility isn't always the greatest indicator of ability. Manning, while obviously not without talent, is some way off deserving a senior call up just at the moment.

Based on what? For my money he's the most talented player I've seen for us at that age, better than Rice even. Fair enough he didn't get his chance at QPR but there's also a reason their fans were fuming he left.

If we lose our next two games lads like himself need rebbe in the squad after, nothing to gain playing same lads or blooding 31 year old players 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 9:10am
With our results poor at the moment, and our playing style even poorer, there is very little to be lost from filling out some places of our squad with young players who are regularly playing first team football. 

Obviously we should pick an experienced squad for the upcoming games vs Denmark and Wales, but if we get hammered in both matches, there wouldn’t be much to be learned from dragging over the same crop of players to play Denmark away and to play Northern Ireland in an upcoming friendly. 

There is a solid group of players under 24 who are impressing at club level - the majority are in the championship. 

Generally you need to be playing championship football to be considered for Ireland, but I’d argue when a young player is impressing at league 1 level or above, then they should be atleast called up for a look. Ronan Curtis being the prime example, who at the moment is looking like a brilliant prospect. Jimmy Dunne is the next youngster I’d like to see given an opportunity, he’s been a mainstay for Hearts who have made a great start to the season. 

Josh Cullen is another who seems comfortable at League 1 level, and has been on the cusp of first team football in the Premier League for the past six months, what’s to lose in giving him a friendly appearance? We know what David Meyler, Harry Arter, Jeff Hendrick and perhaps Conor Hourihane can do. 

When you look at some of our youngish players who are playing first team football, and impressing at a decent level, the future does not look quite so bleak. 

Jack Byrne hasn’t been included on this list, he’s still only 21/22 and I still think he’ll end up having some sort of career for Ireland, he just needs to get his head right. 

You’d like to think that some of our prospects who are playing under23s level for their clubs will soon be ready to make the step up to at least league 1 football. It’s pretty much guaranteed that in six months to a years time, there will be one or two new lads of a decent age who have emerged at a championship / League 1 club. 

The only thing missing right now is a decently aged goalkeeper playing regularly at League 1 level or above, but again, you would be hopeful that out of O’Hara, Kelleher, Lawlor and O’Malley, that we’ll have at least one keeper capable of playing Championship football in the next year or two. 

Regular young starters playing at least league 1 level: 

Callum O’Dowda - 23
Callum Robinson - 23
Aiden O’Brien - 24 
Ryan Manning - 22
Callum Robinson - 23
Alan Browne - 23 
Darragh Lenihan - 24
Graham Burke - 24 
Daniel Crowley - 21
Ronan Curtis - 22
Jimmy Dunne - 20 
Josh Cullen - 22 

*Liam Kelly - 22, He’s never going to play for England, someone in our set up needs to get on the phone and tell him how it is. I’m confident he’ll play under the next manager. 
*Declan Rice - 19 - You know yourself. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 9:56am
Manning should be called up on the fact that he has excelled for the u21's and it will be a natural progression.

Probably the sooner he gets called up and familiar with setup the better.
He'll end up in the senior squad at some stage such is our small pool of players too.

Similar to Curtis bring called up (although the suspension helped)
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 7:20pm
as a Qpr and gufc fan who knows Ryan personally I can tell you the reason he went to Rotherham was so he would be playing every week and to force his way into the irish Squad. Qpr fans were are still disgusted he was let go and still want him to come back and play as he is a far better player than Luong and Cousins. He also is very versatile which is an added bonus.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 9:52pm
He started, I think, 10 league games last season out of 46 for QPR, and none this season, and was allowed to leave despite the club being hit by a transfer embargo. It's a little difficult to buy him being this outstanding player at Loftus Road and all the fans there are up in arms about him being allowed to leave given the facts.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 16 Sep 2018 at 9:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic