Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales MATCH thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 132>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by LHurlz LHurlz wrote:

Joe Allen is better than all of our midfielders.

Is he? Allen was ridiculed for years before having a good Euros, upon which he suddenly seemed to become an excellent player.... He's not much better or worse than most of our midfield options.

Joe Allen was always a good player, technically excellent.

It's not as if we can compare Liverpool's midfield with the likes of Hull City, Norwich, Stoke City etc over the past few seasons can we? 

I mean not being automatic at a club like Liverpool was hardly an epic fail, many Liverpool fans didn't even want Allen to be sold. 

No-one is saying Allen is on Bale's level, but anyone who doesn't think he wouldn't start for us is insane. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Bar Bale and Ramsey that is a very mediocre team

You come out with some strange ones.......

How could you say a squad with the likes of Joe Allen, Ashley Williams, Ben Davies, Andy King etc in are mediocre when you factor in that they would all start for us?

Andy King wouldn't start for us and while Allen might, it's a long way from automatic.

Perhaps the two bolded above would be part of our squad would they be automatic starters I don't think so.

Of the two perhaps Davies would have a strong case in terms of competing with Ward but in terms of our game plan and style I think our current midfield would be ahead of Allen.

Davies and Ward, there is zero comparison ffs LOL

Ashley Williams would easily be our best center half.

Sam Vokes is a better player than Daryl Murphy, Lawerence is on fire for Ipswich, Chester and Collins would be at least on a par with Clark and Duffy too.

So by your logic, Ireland's squad is mediocre too? 

Well you did say Ramsey was more important to Wales than Bale and Bale is nothing without him Dead

exactly LOL
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:20pm

From Welsh forum
Predicted line up based on the squad announcement:

Hennessey

Chester Williams Davies

Gunter............Allen....Ledley............Taylor

Bale........Robson-Kanu....Ramsey

Have a very good starting line up but they lack in depth big time
Yanto 58 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto 58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

From Welsh forum

Predicted line up based on the squad announcement:

<div style="text-align:center;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Hennessey</span><div style="text-align:center;">

<div style="text-align:center;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Chester Williams Davies

Gunter............Allen....Ledley............Taylor

Bale........Robson-Kanu....Ramsey

</span>

Have a very good starting line up but they lack in depth big time

Correct but if that team plays then its not much different to our previpus lack of depth is it? The real issue is having those 11 playing.
Some very balanced comments on here last couple of days t be fair.Allen has always been good for us and hugely underrated, do agree his weak spot is getting caught in possession and an occassional suicide ball. Check out his wonder goal v Austria if you doubt his technical ability.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:34pm
If that's their lineup we need to get whichever three in midfield Martin puts out disrupting Ledley and Allen at every opportunity and denying them room or time. Ledley hasn't been playing for Palace and as pointed out Allen can hang onto it too long, we have to look to force errors out of them

I'd go

Randolph

Coleman
Clark
Keogh
Ward

Whelan (or McCarthy but certainly not Whelan and McCarthy)
Arter 
Hendrick
McGeady 
McClean

Walters

Long from the bench at 60 minutes and the likes of Wes, Hourihane and Horgan in reserve if we need to change it up.

Although i think the team will be Walters starting over McGeady and Long up top, which is also fine by me.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 16 Mar 2017 at 4:38pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:39pm

Is he? Allen was ridiculed for years before having a good Euros, upon which he suddenly seemed to become an excellent player.... He's not much better or worse than most of our midfield options.

It's not as if we can compare Liverpool's midfield with the likes of Hull City, Norwich, Stoke City etc over the past few seasons can we? 

I mean not being automatic at a club like Liverpool was hardly an epic fail, many Liverpool fans didn't even want Allen to be sold. 

No-one is saying Allen is on Bale's level, but anyone who doesn't think he wouldn't start for us is insane. 

He was always excellent at lateral 5 yard passes anyway, much like a certain maligned figure we already have.
We're decent enough..
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:47pm
OnTheRoad's line-up would be fine with me.  Put on some pace and creativity second half. 

Lads being very dismissive of Wales on here. They have four players who played champions league football this year and one who is in the top four players in the world.  We have no champions league players and no world class players. 

Contrary to what people say on here, a draw would be a good result for Wales.  Don't expect Chris Coleman to say it, but he would be happy with that, on the basis that they would then expect to beat us and Austria in Cardiff, polish the "minnows", draw in Belgrade and probably get them at least second.  

A draw is a good result for Wales. It's an acceptable, if disappointing, result for us.  Defeat would be catastrophic for Wales.  Therefore I think a draw the most likely result. 

In terms of teams, I do think they have better players in their 11, but much poorer strength in depth.  We can handle the injuries and suspensions much better.  I wish they had as many absentees as us, since missing their big two players and they suddenly become a very ordinary team.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:03pm
Incidentally, don't be surprised to see them put on the English-born Liverpool prospect, Ben Woodburn, so as to rule him out - at the age of 17 - of declaring for England. Coleman is quite ruthless in that respect.

They did the same thing at the age of 16 with another Liverpool prospect, Harry Wilson.  Coleman was quite explicit that the reason he was capping Wilson was to rule out uncertainty in the future.  Young Harry has not come within an ass's roar of a cap since.  See: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/24547357  ;

I've said it elsewhere on here, but felt we have missed out on capping lads in the qualifiers against the minnows - the 7-0 home victory over Gibraltar 2 and half years ago when a certain unnameable winger was ripping it up for Notts County for example.  
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:29pm
Let's call a spade a spade if we have tokeep bale quite or hope he has an off day.
We are going to be in for a long night unless we can score twice.
I can't see them not scoring.

On the other hand we have options from the bench which is a great boost
Horgan moving to England, Hourihane amongst the goals, Mcgeadys rebirth, Murphy is a great plan b( or plan a as I feel he might start) and if long starts On the bench I feel he will come on and score like he did against Poland.
We are in a much more positive place than at the start of the campaign.
Keep Bale quite and we might just do it.
Please God.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Let's call a spade a spade if we have tokeep bale quite or hope he has an off day.

Horgan moving to England, Hourihane amongst the goals, Mcgeadys rebirth, Murphy is a great plan b( or plan a as I feel he might start) and if long starts On the bench I feel he will come on and score like he did against Poland.
Please God.

He's coming to Dublin to play against us for Wales, we can't quite keep him
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:36pm
Not to be opening old wounds when you see Wales calling up these guys and capping them young I really can't believe we didn't cap Grealish especially when they brought O Dowda in shortly after and capped him.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Please God.

He's coming to Dublin to play against us for Wales, we can't quite keep him
Quite right.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Incidentally, don't be surprised to see them put on the English-born Liverpool prospect, Ben Woodburn, so as to rule him out - at the age of 17 - of declaring for England. Coleman is quite ruthless in that respect.

They did the same thing at the age of 16 with another Liverpool prospect, Harry Wilson.  Coleman was quite explicit that the reason he was capping Wilson was to rule out uncertainty in the future.  Young Harry has not come within an ass's roar of a cap since.  See: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/24547357  ;

I've said it elsewhere on here, but felt we have missed out on capping lads in the qualifiers against the minnows - the 7-0 home victory over Gibraltar 2 and half years ago when a certain unnameable winger was ripping it up for Notts County for example.  

No idea who you mean? Wink
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Callum McGregor is Scottish
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 6:57pm
My team would be 

Randolph

Ward
Clark
Keogh
Coleman

McCarthy
Arter
Hendrick

McClean Left
McGeady Right or vice versa

Long

Think that will be good enough to do them, Duffy and Brady a massive miss I think. Duffy's height will be missed he goes for absolutely everything. 

Cannot wait now, fly home early Friday morning, hopefully fly back Saturday with 3 points! 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 6:59pm

He was always excellent at lateral 5 yard passes anyway, much like a certain maligned figure we already have.

He's after maturing into a fine player, has more goals for Stoke than Whelan has in his whole Stoke career already. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 7:10pm
Allen is more mobile than Whelan and gets goals which Whelan doesn't. Allen any day of the week.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Allen is more mobile than Whelan and gets goals which Whelan doesn't. Allen any day of the week.

Cue Whelan Screamer getting the winner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 132>
  Share Topic