Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales MATCH thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 132>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:03am
Yeah I feel the same. Chance to bury Wales hopes and us to take a massive step to Russia and we blew it. McGeady should gave come on with minimum of 30mins left to play imo. Only the last 10 to 15 mins did we look threatening.

Edited by Trap junior - 25 Mar 2017 at 2:03am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:35am
I don't agree about us being cautious or negative. We just hadn't got the creativity or guile to create clearcut chances, we were a bit workmanlike with a few key players missing. I thought Wales defended well too.

As someone said further up, these British type matches tend to bring out the worst in us and we never play good football in them (we had 0-0 draws with NI and England at the Aviva as well in 2015).
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:43am
At the end of the first half with the tackles from whelan and long you could see the welsh players getting more aggravated. It was obvious they were going to come out after half time with some tough challenges after the ref letting the irish players away. I thought it would be Long who would get clattered by one of the welsh back three. While its good to see a ref let the game flow if he starts letting elbows go unpunished the opposition will react with stronger challenges and unfortunately its has ended up with a broken leg. Im not excusing Taylor but I was not 100% shocked to see a bad challenge come in from a welsh player in the second half

Would say a draw was fair result as we created nothing but neither did wales bar 2 long shots from bale. 

Edited by Doyler1993 - 25 Mar 2017 at 2:45am
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:43am
Overall a draw was fair enough. We are very limited without Wes or Robbie....can't argue with effort or commitment. Thought Whelan had a decent game. As for the Welsh fans...embarrassing How English they are pouncing around in their stone island and retro casual gear. Simpletons....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:45am
Wales and Austria going into the meat grinder soon but I can certainly tell you that if it comes down to ourselves or Serbia, Serbia will be finishing ahead of us most likely. Sorry but its de truth. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:04am
Can't even think about the result. Gutted for Coleman.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:06am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Overall a draw was fair enough. We are very limited without Wes or Robbie....can't argue with effort or commitment. Thought Whelan had a decent game. As for the Welsh fans...embarrassing How English they are pouncing around in their stone island and retro casual gear. Simpletons....

Actually thought I could hear fake cockney accents for some of the chants... They booed Coleman coming off too.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:06am
Home now.....i think that when keano said we were 'mistaken' if we thought we were gonna play for the draw, it was him that was mistaken. From minute 1 to 90 we set about nullifying them. and we did. and it was relatively easy. but we created f**k all. i dunno, i presume a result such as this may prove valuable. but we were at home. i know they had a sort of last chance saloon feel to it, and its good they made no ground on us tonight, but the lack of ambition we showed was seriously disappointing. This group is there to be won. Serbia are terrible at the back and we have a 4 point advantage on the other incredibly ordinary teams.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:17am
lads  who was the irishman who gave away the ball  when ireland was all out attacking  and his idiotic touch allowed bale  to get away and  he almot curled  a winnner........can you say if it was  keogh or oshea ...
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:20am
also i think  Whelan had a solid game the whole night one o his best on the green shirt as for Mcclean and  Walters  was very positive but he is in between being a right winger and an attacker...and he is none sometimes
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:24am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Home now.....i think that when keano said we were 'mistaken' if we thought we were gonna play for the draw, it was him that was mistaken. From minute 1 to 90 we set about nullifying them. and we did. and it was relatively easy. but we created f**k all. i dunno, i presume a result such as this may prove valuable. but we were at home. i know they had a sort of last chance saloon feel to it, and its good they made no ground on us tonight, but the lack of ambition we showed was seriously disappointing. This group is there to be won. Serbia are terrible at the back and we have a 4 point advantage on the other incredibly ordinary teams.

I don't think we played for a draw though. It's just that we were struggling to be creative or gain any sort of a foothold in the game. Wales had a lot of possession in the first half and looked comfortable on the ball. I'm not sure we were good enough to win that match to be honest (and Wales didn't do enough to win it either, a draw was a very fair result).
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:32am
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

lads  who was the irishman who gave away the ball  when ireland was all out attacking  and his idiotic touch allowed bale  to get away and  he almot curled  a winnner........can you say if it was  keogh or oshea ...

Keogh. Always has a mistake in him I feel
The only way is up
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I don't think we played for a draw though. It's just that we were struggling to be creative or gain any sort of a foothold in the game. Wales had a lot of possession in the first half and looked comfortable on the ball. I'm not sure we were good enough to win that match to be honest (and Wales didn't do enough to win it either, a draw was a very fair result).

We clearly played for the draw.  And selected the team accordingly.  The tactic was: defend deep in our own half, let them come at us, and hope to hit them on the break or with a set-piece. 

For example, there were countless times when Wales got the ball that we retreated into our own half and left all three of their defenders completely unmarked and unrushed.  So our 10 outfield players could mark the remaining 7 Welsh players.  That was a pre-determined plan and was the definition of going for a draw.  

Furthermore, in Meyler and Whelan we played two centre-mids who generally make zero forward passes in a game (including this one).  Offensively, you can carry one player like that, but not two.  When Meyler went off, Hendrick showed he could do all the same defensive-mid work, albeit he is clearly a better all-round player.  Having started Hendrick in the holding role with Whelan and had, say McGeady, in the more advanced role, would have been a far better set-up and one that would have given us some creativity.

Also, why the fook is Whelan taking set-pieces?!??! His looping, slow deliveries are more like hospital passes than attacking crosses.  Thought he had a very good game second half btw.  But don't let him near a dead-ball again.  

We can't get Brady back soon enough.

Thoughts with Coleman.  What a thoroughly decent guy.  Great leader and example to his team-mates as well as kids watching Ireland.  Hate thinking about what happened.  

JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:55am
after that blatant error when attacking and exposed ireland..,     keogh  shouldnt play  next  game nor next qualifier...he almost gave BALE THE WINNER ...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:31am
The tactic was nullify them and don't commit too much going forward. I think that is ok when it was 11 vs. 11 and wales were having the better of the game.
However, as soon as it went to 11 vs 10 mcgeady should have come on. I would have also thrown on Horgan for last 10.
Mcgeady coming on for last 10 and not using another attaching sub was a mistake.

He will probably point to the Bale chance as an example of what can happen if you go too attacking but that was all down to a silly mistake
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

MON got it all wrong tonight, I dont care what anyone says... we were playing for a draw from the beginning.

We were setup far too defensively, the game was crying out for some creativity. A stagnant defensive midfield of Whelan, Hendrick and Meyler was never going to work. Its bad enough when we play 2 defensive midfielders together, but 3?!?

Or atleast if thats the game plan, get someone on who can capitalize with their set peices! We had had McGeady, Horgan and Hourihane who can all hit them.

At the 70min mark the game was crying out for a change.

Cant help but think we threw away a valuable 2pts tonight, theres an air of the consecutive draws at home to Poland and Scotland in the last campaign where we were left to depend on others taking points off one another. We need to get the finger out, a single shot at home in a game like tonights is not good enough.

Best post on here
Up to the Coleman incident we were absolutely terrible. We never looked like scoring. Wales were relying on Bale to score but I think he had a better chance than our whole team.
The last 20 mins a different game. Wales had everybody behind the ball.

If we play like that first 70 mins against Austria /Serbia etc we won't win.
Huge improvement needed.
We have 4 tough games left and we need to win at least 2 of them.

We need to play with more freedom and confidence. Maybe the better ball players in Wes and Arter will bring that but the teams need to be set up to win from the very first minute.

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:28am
Chris Colemans comments after the match were a f**king disgrace about how Ireland were no angels either
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:33am
He is a bitter guinness wasting coont, and is there a more horrible little coont than that scruffy little bolloxs wee coont face allen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 132>
  Share Topic