You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Kelly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 42>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:56am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Trap had a fine group of players to choose from (despite the bizarre argument at the time that we were lacking in talent, which seems to have simply become a mindlessly repeated mantra post 2002..). The football was atrocious, and he regularly made outrageous player selections, but the first 2 campaigns were acceptable in the sense that we got reasonable results by and large. Euro 2012 and the following campaign were incredibly bad however, and he exposed himself as being completely incapable of change when his "plan A" (ie his only plan) didn't work.
trap was a disgrace, cowardly football, leaving a prime hoolahan out of he's plans. Traps reign is like a bad dream.

Absolute laughable post. HThere wasn't many people calling for his inclusion back then anyway.

And it was Trap who bought him into the team and he was sh*te when he did play.

Football is never about one player, unless you are Messi or Ronaldo

Not true on Hoolahan. He played against Poland and Georgia under Trap and ran the show. By 2012 Hoolahan was already considered the star turn at Norwich. Trap just didn’t like him because he didn’t track back
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Ah sure Brian Kerr ignored Coleman for years.  

What about Rory O'Connor ignoring Diarmuit MacMurchada? That really cost us against the Normans

El Puto Amo
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Total revisionism and churlishness to rubbish any of the successes that Trap achieved with Ireland. 

Qualifying for a major tournament was fantastic but his unbeaten away record in competitive games will never be matched. Was 12/13 consecutive away games or something like that?! Clap 

As Liam Brady said we were in the wilderness for 16 years before Trap came in. He also almost qualified us for a world cup as well. 

16 years? Trap was appointed in 2008 so you're effectively saying we were in the wilderness from 1992-2008 LOLLOL

The 1994 & 2002 World Cups were a real travesty alright

LOL
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Trap had a fine group of players to choose from (despite the bizarre argument at the time that we were lacking in talent, which seems to have simply become a mindlessly repeated mantra post 2002..). The football was atrocious, and he regularly made outrageous player selections, but the first 2 campaigns were acceptable in the sense that we got reasonable results by and large. Euro 2012 and the following campaign were incredibly bad however, and he exposed himself as being completely incapable of change when his "plan A" (ie his only plan) didn't work.
trap was a disgrace, cowardly football, leaving a prime hoolahan out of he's plans. Traps reign is like a bad dream.

Absolute laughable post. HThere wasn't many people calling for his inclusion back then anyway.

And it was Trap who bought him into the team and he was sh*te when he did play.

Football is never about one player, unless you are Messi or Ronaldo

Not true on Hoolahan. He played against Poland and Georgia under Trap and ran the show. By 2012 Hoolahan was already considered the star turn at Norwich. Trap just didn’t like him because he didn’t track back

One of the BIGGEST misconceptions about Hoolahan was his supposed lack of defensive work. Check out any match for Ireland. For a number 10, the amount of times that he won the ball back is to be commended. And there's no better person to be winning the ball back than your actual playmaker who has the ability subsequently to play the right pass, instigating attacks. 

I don't think Trap was stupid enough not to recognise Hoolahan's obvious talent. but when it came to this Irish team Trap was pragmatic and risk-averse. Hoolahan takes risks which is what makes him the player he is. This is not what Trap wanted. Hoolahan's absence from the Irish team was as basic as that. 

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:23pm
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:31pm

Am I right in saying we never beat a higher ranked side under Trap? His style brought us up to a very specific level (ie organised, pragmatic, and capable  of grinding out wins against poorer sides) but was absolutely incapable of going even an inch further than that. It was utterly turgid and inflexible, and ultimately that proved to be his downfall.
beat Italy 2-0 in June 2011. They were ninth, we were 34th
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
WolfgangMhz View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WolfgangMhz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:32pm
Thanks for posting something actually related to Kelly. Had to skip through several pages of irrelevant nonsense to find it. 

*Edit* Ah, too late.

Edited by WolfgangMhz - 11 Jul 2019 at 12:32pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Am I right in saying we never beat a higher ranked side under Trap? His style brought us up to a very specific level (ie organised, pragmatic, and capable  of grinding out wins against poorer sides) but was absolutely incapable of going even an inch further than that. It was utterly turgid and inflexible, and ultimately that proved to be his downfall.

Apologies, that should read "never beat a higher ranked side in a competitive fixture"; I'm almost certain that is the case.
We're decent enough..
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:41pm

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Apologies, that should read "never beat a higher ranked side in a competitive fixture"; I'm almost certain that is the case.

This was the case from beating Holland in 2001 until we beat Ze Germans in 2015.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:02pm
Staunton beat Slovakia at Croke Park when they were ranked ahead of us
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:50pm
So...Liam Kelly huh?
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

So...Liam Kelly huh?

Good player. Could become useful for us if he can hold down a spot at Feyenoord. Very encouraging how much belief they have in him.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 2:41pm
I suppose the only downside to this is that he is essentially Stam's player rather than Feyenoord's; if Stam loses his job he may not have anyone else around to back him. Still a great opportunity for him to go out and prove himself to everyone else all the same.
We're decent enough..
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 3:07pm

I suppose the only downside to this is that he is essentially Stam's player rather than Feyenoord's; if Stam loses his job he may not have anyone else around to back him. Still a great opportunity for him to go out and prove himself to everyone else all the same.

That is a worry. The same thing happened with David Connolly at Feyenoord as far as I recall...and of course Robbie Keane at Inter
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 5:08pm
Unfortunately like a lot of talented playmakers he has suffered from poor mentality in the past. Jack Byrne, Daniel Crowley and others who have equally stalled their careers.

We need more playmakers who are as humble and lovely as Wes. Wink

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Unfortunately like a lot of talented playmakers he has suffered from poor mentality in the past. Jack Byrne, Daniel Crowley and others who have equally stalled their careers.

Just better than him at football...
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:23pm

what's happened to Byrne to hold him back? Brilliant talent.

You tell me? But there's a reason why someone of his talent has ended up at Shamrock Rovers. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:49pm

what's happened to Byrne to hold him back? Brilliant talent.

You tell me? But there's a reason why someone of his talent has ended up at Shamrock Rovers. 

He played very well last night against Brann. His deliveries were exceptional.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 42>
  Share Topic