You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Austria v Ireland Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 60616263>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 3:21pm
jesus wept

who has ever called him Trap with a Derry accent? And couldn't they think up something more clever? 
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 3:23pm
The chap is a WUM, pure and simple. I don't mind WUM's if they're funny, but this chap isn't. Ignore him and he'll stop. I stopped responding to his posts a couple of years ago. I usually ignore his posts but I've read a few on this thread. It's just laughable.

EG, he says above we were a shambles away to Germany (we drew). Ireland lost 6 f**king 1 at home to Germany under Trap. Shambles against Sweden (we drew), we lost 2-1 at home to Sweden under Trap. Italy win 1-0, lost 2-0 under Trap etc etc etc.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

The chap is a WUM, pure and simple. I don't mind WUM's if they're funny, but this chap isn't. Ignore him and he'll stop. I stopped responding to his posts a couple of years ago. I usually ignore his posts but I've read a few on this thread. It's just laughable.

EG, he says above we were a shambles away to Germany (we drew). Ireland lost 6 f**king 1 at home to Germany under Trap. Shambles against Sweden (we drew), we lost 2-1 at home to Sweden under Trap. Italy win 1-0, lost 2-0 under Trap etc etc etc.

Don't forget about when we lost 1-0 away to Austria and 3-0 away to Germany under Trap during the same campaign..
window.post_1479482948462_16 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }window.post_1479482950470_42 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 3:32pm

As usual, when you've lost the ball, you start playing the man. I'll continue to play the ball thanks. And how have I lost the argument here? Confused

Last campaign:

Georgia away: Shambles for 89 minutes.
Germany away: Shambles for 93 minutes.
Scotland away: Shambles. Lost.
Poland home: Shambles for 89 minutes.
Scotland home: Shambles.
Georgia home: Shambles for 70 minutes.
Poland away: Shambles. Lost. Red card.
Sweden neutral: Shambles when in front.
Belgium neutral: Disgrace.
Italy neutral: Titanic struggle to beat a B Team.
France away: Shambles after half time. Lost. Red card.

This campaign:

Serbia away: One pass per minute Shambles.
Georgia home: Shambles until half time.

He isn't called Trap with a Derry accent for nothing.[/QUOTE]

So you're basically calling Trap a shambles judging by the last bit in bold you lunatic LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 3:41pm

Strange thing, I don't actually think Planning is a WUM. He's just completely devoted to one manager and completely anti the other who isn't Trap. Won't apply the same results being the be-all and end-all argument. Our luckiest ever result was away to Russia but it was all about the result for him. Any results we achieve under O'Neill is just luck. LOL 

Great that we got that penalty against Italy and hadn't a ridiculous one given against us in Serbia oh wait...
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

We had a serious team back around '02, easily on a par with, for arguments sake, the Croatia of today. Lots of very decent lads playing up near the business end of the biggest leagues in the world and a sprinkling of genuine world class talent. We have nothing like that today. I would back our lads today with the belief they have to go out and take points off anyone on their day, but in a hypothetical 2 legged playoff between Ireland 2002 and Ireland 2016, the '02 lads would be very heavy favourites. What this team is accomplishing given its limitations is an extremely impressive achievement.

Let's not get carried away here, our only world class player in 02 was walking his dog.

In fairness,he's right, in 02 we had Given, Kelly, Harte who'd played Champions League over the previous few seasons and Robbie Keane who played a couple of games in it for Inter which cup tied him for the Leeds semi final run. We had Duff and Finnan who'd go on to play in it the next few seasons. We had Staunton and Quinn who'd won leagues and other trophies in England and been part of Jack's team. And a couple of others, like McAfee and Holland who had European experience in other competitions. No comparison with today's team or Trap's squads for that matter. Both O'Neill and Trap did well with that was at their disposal. MON has the edge now due to the wins v Germany, Bosnia, Italy and Austria which are better than any competitive results Trap was able to achieve. I'd argue O'Neill has had better luck (3rd place finish in qualifying and in finals being enough, facing an Italy team with nothing to play for, not having the likes of a Henry handball to deal with etc) but we're on an upward curve at the moment whereas with Trap our best campaign was actually the first one despite qualifying in our second.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

jesus wept

who has ever called him Trap with a Derry accent? And couldn't they think up something more clever? 

I'm sure O'Neill would take that as a compliment, being compared to one of the most successful managers in the history of football.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 5:57pm

I tried to get him banned earlier this year but I was ridiculed from all angles.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

jesus wept

I'm sure O'Neill would take that as a compliment, being compared to one of the most successful managers in the history of football.

Its pretty clear the comparison is with Trap the Ireland manager, and his time at the helm here, rather than Trap the Juventus manager!

In a comparison as Ireland managers, MON has overtaken him.

Trap's fantastic record in the past ( 30 years ago) is irrelevant in the comparison of their Ireland reigns.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 6:51pm
Was reading through the Austrian forums there earlier in the week, getting a bit of practising of the German in. Unsurprisingly Wimmer being absolutely ripped to shreds and its a bit like on here after a bad result where everyone is picking the player they like least and laying into him. Interestingly though, apparently Marcel Koller didn't know Ward and McCarthy wouldn't travel until he was told at the pre-match press conference and he's (rightly) copping a lot of flak for that. Seems to be a fairly glaring lack of attention to detail from a national team manager. They seem to reckon that if he stays in charge he is only going to blindly play the same way and they'll get picked off time and again. Certainly if they come out the same way in Dublin it'll be the same story

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 18 Nov 2016 at 6:54pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

jesus wept

Its pretty clear the comparison is with Trap the Ireland manager, and his time at the helm here, rather than Trap the Juventus manager!

In a comparison as Ireland managers, MON has overtaken him.

Trap's fantastic record in the past ( 30 years ago) is irrelevant in the comparison of their Ireland reigns.

I beg to differ.

However MON should be judged either at the end of his campaign or at later.

Hats off to MON's results though

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

We had a serious team back around '02, easily on a par with, for arguments sake, the Croatia of today. Lots of very decent lads playing up near the business end of the biggest leagues in the world and a sprinkling of genuine world class talent. We have nothing like that today. I would back our lads today with the belief they have to go out and take points off anyone on their day, but in a hypothetical 2 legged playoff between Ireland 2002 and Ireland 2016, the '02 lads would be very heavy favourites. What this team is accomplishing given its limitations is an extremely impressive achievement.

Let's not get carried away here, our only world class player in 02 was walking his dog.

In fairness,he's right, in 02 we had Given, Kelly, Harte who'd played Champions League over the previous few seasons and Robbie Keane who played a couple of games in it for Inter which cup tied him for the Leeds semi final run. We had Duff and Finnan who'd go on to play in it the next few seasons. We had Staunton and Quinn who'd won leagues and other trophies in England and been part of Jack's team. And a couple of others, like McAfee and Holland who had European experience in other competitions. No comparison with today's team or Trap's squads for that matter. Both O'Neill and Trap did well with that was at their disposal. MON has the edge now due to the wins v Germany, Bosnia, Italy and Austria which are better than any competitive results Trap was able to achieve. I'd argue O'Neill has had better luck (3rd place finish in qualifying and in finals being enough, facing an Italy team with nothing to play for, not having the likes of a Henry handball to deal with etc) but we're on an upward curve at the moment whereas with Trap our best campaign was actually the first one despite qualifying in our second.
He is and he isn't. We had a better team then , no questions, but we have had a handful of world class players in our history, to suggest that any team we have ever put out has had a 'sprinkling of genuine world class talent' is madness.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 8:08pm

He is and he isn't. We had a better team then , no questions, but we have had a handful of world class players in our history, to suggest that any team we have ever put out has had a 'sprinkling of genuine world class talent' is madness.

I'm being a bit liberal with my definition of world class but we had Duff and Keane who were two of the most highly rated young players in Europe at that time, and (obviously not at the World Cup but for the extremely tough qualifying campaign that got us there) Roy Keane, one of the best players of his era. A good few very high quality players on top of that as well. In fairness, international football was better back then and it seemed almost every half decent side had one top class player playing for a Barcelona or a Real Madrid. 
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 8:19pm

I'm being a bit liberal with my definition of world class but we had Duff and Keane who were two of the most highly rated young players in Europe at that time, and (obviously not at the World Cup but for the extremely tough qualifying campaign that got us there) Roy Keane, one of the best players of his era. A good few very high quality players on top of that as well. In fairness, international football was better back then and it seemed almost every half decent side had one top class player playing for a Barcelona or a Real Madrid. 
More than a bit liberal!LOLLOL I'm not going to start the debate about how I found Duff overrated etcetera, etcetera  but we have had, like I said, a handful of world class players in our history.
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:58pm

Was reading through the Austrian forums there earlier in the week, getting a bit of practising of the German in. Unsurprisingly Wimmer being absolutely ripped to shreds and its a bit like on here after a bad result where everyone is picking the player they like least and laying into him. Interestingly though, apparently Marcel Koller didn't know Ward and McCarthy wouldn't travel until he was told at the pre-match press conference and he's (rightly) copping a lot of flak for that. Seems to be a fairly glaring lack of attention to detail from a national team manager. They seem to reckon that if he stays in charge he is only going to blindly play the same way and they'll get picked off time and again. Certainly if they come out the same way in Dublin it'll be the same story

I was reading some of the comments section under a few Austrian papers last week and it was similar. A lot of stick towards the Austrian FA as well and there were plenty of comments saying interestingly that their players' hearts weren't there for the national team AND for their clubs, where they were also passengers. Aside from that aspect, there are a lot of similarities in the two national sides, we send our best players to England, them to the Bundesliga. I also read somewhere Koller is quite highly regarded despite this dodgy spell, there's probably a bit of loyalty at play as well. If what you say is true, that's a glaring oversight alright. 
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:02pm
Is there anywhere you can view a full re run of the match?
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:04pm

Interesting auld debate this. While I have great respect for McCarthy and the team of 02, it has to be remembered that (excluding his last two matches for Euro 2004) we only had that one good campaign from 96 to 2002. Those defeats in Belgrade, Bucharest, Brussels and Zagreb not to mention the games in Macedonia are a testament that we had a serious lack of composure away from home in the McCarthy era. Far too many soft late goals and while the football was great, it's all about results. You can argue that he was partially rebuilding a team after the Charlton era but then you could say O'Neill has the same handicap if not more today. 

Here's one typical goal from that era that I couldn't see happening today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwJm87ycY4
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Is there anywhere you can view a full re run of the match?
RTE player. If youre blocked from viewing it in the black North, download an app called hola that will get you around that issue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 60616263>
  Share Topic