Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54560
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 8:36am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Austria v Ireland Match Thread
Posted By: McG
Subject: Austria v Ireland Match Thread
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 9:51pm
Do not lose this one and we are going in 2017 in great shakes. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 9:54pm
Yup. Would take a drab 0-0 right now

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Do not lose this one and we are going in 2017 in great shakes. 

A draw with Serbia v Wales and us not loosing will leave us in a great position . 1k travelled tonight to Moldova so I'd say we can expect 2.5k -3k on tour for the Vienna trip . Get the list out

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 9:57pm
We need a new central defensive partnership as Duffy and Clarke are not up to it esp against a team like Austria who will punish them for their mistakes.

It'll be more or less the same starting eleven as tonight for O Neill with possibly Brady in for Wes.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 9:57pm
2-1 Ireland. 

Long and Clark. 

We can win this football match, clear our lines and make sure Jankos' knock downs are cleared into Row Z, McCarthy needs to keep track of Alaba and let Shane Long, McClean drive the f**k at their defence that is exactly what Hungary did at the Euros to them, look how that went.

Can't wait for this.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:00pm
We don't win these games, ever. I expect Austria to improve at some stage. Hopefully not against us. Think we'll lose or scrape a draw. No chance of winning.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:01pm
Tony Polster to make himself available for Austria.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:03pm
Take a draw all day. Heading over for it, buzzing. All we need to do at this moment is match them, particularly in the away game.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:05pm
Atm Austria are there for the taking but not the way we're playing.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:05pm

At least thats only two goals against. If Peter Stoger took time off posting here, and went back to the day job it would be 3 goals.

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:06pm
Same position that we where in euro 2016 qualification after 3 rounds. Lets take that by the scruff of the neck and build on the lead instead of settling for less. We have seen that this Austria side isn't great and will be under pressure when we come to town, we win there and Austria could be on the brink of elimination and not just to help our chances but to derail the chances of a qualification rival and if Serbia do the same against Wales you could see a clear fight between us and Serbia at the top heading into christmas.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

At least thats only two goals against. If Peter Stoger took time off posting here, and went back to the day job it would be 3 goals.

Indeed. Two w**kers LOL

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm

LOL Heard Harry Ramdsens are sponsoring the game

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Touche Embarrassed

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:16pm
Anton "Toni" Polster (born 10 March 1964) is a retired  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria" rel="nofollow - Austrian   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football" rel="nofollow - footballer  and current coach. He is the all-time leading goalscorer for  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Austria  and the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer" rel="nofollow - singer  of the Austrian band Achtung Liebe.

LOLBroken Heart

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:38pm
Any Austrian players suspended or long term injured???

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Any Austrian players suspended or long term injured???

no Austrian cards yet

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 4:17am
There have been a few Austrian yellows, but no one suspended unfortunately. 

Austria will be strong.  They dominated against Wales in Vienna and Wales were a little lucky to get the draw.  Their team is made up of pretty much of Bundesliga players, with a good few in the better clubs like Bayer Leverkusen and Werder Bremen.  

And they have the Irish bete noir and today's answer to Toni Polster: David Alaba.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 4:25am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

There have been a few Austrian yellows, but no one suspended unfortunately. 

Austria will be strong.  They dominated against Wales in Vienna and Wales were a little lucky to get the draw.  Their team is made up of pretty much of Bundesliga players, with a good few in the better clubs like Bayer Leverkusen and Werder Bremen.  

And they have the Irish bete noir and today's answer to Toni Polster: David Alaba.

They definitely have a lot of ability and are great on the ball, but one alarming thing for them is that they are leaking goals like there is no tomorrow : conceded six goals already when they only conceded five in their qualifying group for Euro 2016.

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:10am
Let's go for it Austria. A win and we're in the driving seat. We're very capable of scoring over there and it's all about keep cool and calm if we do manage to take the lead. I would like to think we can do that. I think we need to start introducing a couple of lads who don't have that mental constraint of dropping back when we go ahead. My starting line up would be

Randolph
Coleman
Keogh
Clark
Brady

McClean
Arter
Hendrick
O'Dowda

Hoolahan

Walters

Posted By: Rustybedsprings
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:28am
Take a draw in this one all day long, could easily be a group of draws between the big 4 and one win vs the one of the others could decide top spot.

Posted By: Deco79
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:42am
A draw away to Austria would be an excellent result considering the way we are playing! But in fairness we raise our game when playing the "bigger/stronger" teams in any of our groups and it would be another two points dropped for Austria in a group that has plenty of twists and turns ahead. A win would put us in pole position to top the group which would be amazing and a first!

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:57am
Like Glasgow we must not lose this game. But to win the group we will have to beat at least 2 of our rivals and pick up 4 points off each. Again I reiterate that winning the group is vital and playing to do so. If we get 2nd as consolation prize so be it but this is within our capabilities and we ahould be striving to win it. This is of course subject to improved performances which I believe we have in the tank should the right game plan and players be in place.

I dont fancy a seeded playoff again. You know we are not going to beat a top nation when it comes to the crunch end of qualifying.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:09am
This is still more a must-not-lose game than a must-win game. Draw that, keep Austria at arm's length and match the Welsh result out there. Then we have 2 of our three hardest aways dealt with and all three of our main qualification rivals still to come to Dublin.

-------------

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Like Glasgow we must not lose this game. But to win the group we will have to beat at least 2 of our rivals and pick up 4 points off each. Again I reiterate that winning the group is vital and playing to do so. If we get 2nd as consolation prize so be it but this is within our capabilities and we ahould be striving to win it. This is of course subject to improved performances which I believe we have in the tank should the right game plan and players be in place.

I dont fancy a seeded playoff again. You know we are not going to beat a top nation when it comes to the crunch end of qualifying.
Agree fully with this. Getting results in football is all about momentum and this away game to Austria couldn't have come at a better time in that sense. Obviously I would take the draw now if you offered it to me but there is the potential to win this game and make potential qualification a lot easier and a lot less stressful.

A seeded play off really is a booby prize and whilst this Group is incredibly tough with so many decent teams it's probably one of the easier groups to top in the sense it doesn't have a stand out top class team. We can dare to dream.

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:18am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Agree fully with this. Getting results in football is all about momentum and this away game to Austria couldn't have come at a better time in that sense. Obviously I would take the draw now if you offered it to me but there is the potential to win this game and make potential qualification a lot easier and a lot less stressful.

A seeded play off really is a booby prize and whilst this Group is incredibly tough with so many decent teams it's probably one of the easier groups to top in the sense it doesn't have a stand out top class team. We can dare to dream.

Get a draw out in Vienna (a win would be incredible) and back ourselves in Dublin. We have a real chance here. The other teams will have seen our home record over the last couple of years and with Austria and Wales already losing ground they won't fancy having to come to Dublin to try and make it up

-------------

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:31am
Would definitely take a draw and trust ourselves to pick up a win or 2 against our rivals at home. I think we should go out with an attitude to win the game and back ourselves on the ball so that we don't sit too deep, but a drab 0-0 would do just fine.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:44am
Dare to dream. Austria are no world beaters but nor are we. A win is possible though and and a draw in Cardiff would be absolutely incredible. We'll definitely score in Vienna so it's just keeping our heads and somehow grinding out a win to bring us into next year. Friday night in March in Lansdowne would be absolutely something else if we won and Serbia draw in Cardiff.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:52am
Really hope we go there with a full squad. I think one of the major achievements of the past weeks was to take 6 points from games where we had a threadbare squad, and very few options from the bench. Yesterdays win was a testament to resilience and strength of the starting team, rather than any major recalibration from the bench (albeit with credit to O'Dowda). Essentially we had no options, and when Long went off, I think it looked bleak.

If in the next month the likes of Murphy, Westwood, Arter, and McGeady can regain fitness, and Gibson can force his way back into the Everton set-up post injury, and if Hogan can be convinced to join the squad, and Pilkington could re-find favour, we would appear with a genuine opportunity to take more than a single point from the game.

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

Let's go for it Austria. A win and we're in the driving seat. We're very capable of scoring over there and it's all about keep cool and calm if we do manage to take the lead. I would like to think we can do that. I think we need to start introducing a couple of lads who don't have that mental constraint of dropping back when we go ahead. My starting line up would be

Randolph
Coleman
Keogh
Clark
Brady

McClean
Arter
Hendrick
O'Dowda

Hoolahan

Walters

It would take a few injuries across the board for this line-up to happen. Ward is no.1 LB so will be in there. I'd prefer to have o'shea alongside duffy at the back, although I reckon Keogh is probably more of a happy medium. As much as I'd like to see arter in there, I'm not sure he'll be thrown straight into the action having not played in a qualifying match before. o'dowda on the bench, and long will most certainly be starting. and unless McCarthy is ruled out with injury, he always starts.

Randolph

Coleman
O'Shea
Duffy
Ward

Walters
Hendrick
McCarthy
Brady
McClean

Long

Posted By: belgradeboy
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:23am
Come on guys beat Austria, we will beat Wales, and that's it.
In Dublin another draw and both of us will go to Russia, hopefully Serbia as first :)
Cheers

Posted By: TheFieldsOfAthenry
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:29am
Absolutely no reason why Daryl Horgan shouldn't be in this squad. Cup final on November 6th, few days rest then join up with the squad and fly out. Especially if he's on a high of winning the cup final.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:30am
The players mentioned coming back from injury and if Hogan were to declare would leave us looking in very good shape.

-------------

Posted By: schillaci
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:34am

[/QUOTE]

It would take a few injuries across the board for this line-up to happen. Ward is no.1 LB so will be in there. I'd prefer to have o'shea alongside duffy at the back, although I reckon Keogh is probably more of a happy medium. As much as I'd like to see arter in there, I'm not sure he'll be thrown straight into the action having not played in a qualifying match before. o'dowda on the bench, and long will most certainly be starting. and unless McCarthy is ruled out with injury, he always starts.

Randolph

Coleman
O'Shea
Duffy
Ward

Walters
Hendrick
McCarthy
Brady
McClean

Long
[/QUOTE]

Arter has to start. He is one of the real form players we have. It doesnt matter whether he has played a competitive game or not. He is a mid 20's mature player. get him in the team

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:41am
Arter should really be the first name on the teamsheet in current form, despite the fact he hasn't played competitively for us.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:43am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Arter should really be the first name on the teamsheet in current form, despite the fact he hasn't played competitively for us.

And doing well in the PL. Arter is a player with serious potential, and I hope that it won't happen 5 years from now that new management sees it that way, like we have done with Hoolahan.

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:51am
Anyone know the extent of Shane Longs injury? Looked like a hamstring strain, speaking from experience the minimum recovery from these is 2-4 weeks, leaving it tight for Vienna

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:55pm
If all players are fit against austria id like to see a front 6 of:

McCarthy-Hendrick
Mcclean--Wes--Brady
Long

The positions they could alternate during game.

He will probably drop Wes for Walters however.

At the back, i think duffy should drop out. O'shea or keogh to come in. O shea if 100% fit

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 1:27pm
Draw in Vienna would put us in a really strong position but as a previous poster said we need to beat the other contenders in the group so if we have a chance the next day we should push for the win because there is no guarantee of beating them in Dublin.

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 1:28pm
PS

I think Walters is starting to look his age on the pitch. Pity coz he was good player for us. He's still there or there abouts for a starting position in my eyes but definitely looks like he's starting to slide.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

PS

I think Walters is starting to look his age on the pitch. Pity coz he was good player for us. He's still there or there abouts for a starting position in my eyes but definitely looks like he's starting to slide.

Looked ragged out wide but more assured and held the ball up well when moved central.

Let's not forget that he is lacking sharpness himself and probably not quite at 100%. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:24pm

Dare to dream. Austria are no world beaters but nor are we. A win is possible though and and a draw in Cardiff would be absolutely incredible. We'll definitely score in Vienna so it's just keeping our heads and somehow grinding out a win to bring us into next year. Friday night in March in Lansdowne would be absolutely something else if we won and Serbia draw in Cardiff.

We've scored one goal in Vienna in 52 years and we lost that game 3-1, they are our ultimate bogey team. 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

We've scored one goal in Vienna in 52 years and we lost that game 3-1, they are our ultimate bogey team. 

I guess Long, Brady, Hoolahan etc didn't have a good game 52 years ago Wacko

-------------

Posted By: ed_1982
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:33pm

Draw in Vienna would put us in a really strong position but as a previous poster said we need to beat the other contenders in the group so if we have a chance the next day we should push for the win because there is no guarantee of beating them in Dublin.

well in terms of austria, we are already 3 points ahead of them so in theory, matching their results and 2 draws sees us finish ahead of them.  beating Serbia at home and matching their results, sees us finish ahead of them (for instance we would need them drawing in vienna also which isnt beyond possible).

that then leaves a straight fight out for top spot between us and wales. 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by ed_1982 ed_1982 wrote:

well in terms of austria, we are already 3 points ahead of them so in theory, matching their results and 2 draws sees us finish ahead of them.  beating Serbia at home and matching their results, sees us finish ahead of them (for instance we would need them drawing in vienna also which isnt beyond possible).

that then leaves a straight fight out for top spot between us and wales. 

I'd look at it more like we're a point ahead of Austria - one point where they didn't get one. We still have to go out and win in Georgia

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

It's a strange one, we actually have a far superior record against Germany in recent decades.

I've a sneaking suspicion the reason is though that both times we met Austria in the last twenty years or so, we were a team in decline. Played them back to back in 1995 right at the end of Charlton's reign when we weren't playing well and then met them twice in 2013, again when Trap's team was seriously on the wane. We've never actually played them in recent decades at a time when we were in good form.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:47pm
Not gonna happen but I'd love to see some of the passengers dropped for fresh faces to galvanise the squad a bit and actually challenge for a first team place.

McGeady
Pearce
McShane 
Doyle 

Done nothing for too long now, I'd bring in
Horgan
Hogan
Hourihane 
Egan

Fresher, hungrier and able to fight for starting places 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Not gonna happen but I'd love to see some of the passengers dropped for fresh faces to galvanise the squad a bit and actually challenge for a first team place.

McGeady
Pearce
McShane 
Doyle 

Done nothing for too long now, I'd bring in
Horgan
Hogan
Hourihane 
Egan

Fresher, hungrier and able to fight for starting places 
In general I'd agree but I think when you have a serious amount of injuries your going to deviate towards having a bit of experience there

-------------

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 4:19pm
team to play in austria 

randolph 

coleman   oshea    clark     ward  *(cunningham wont sadly)

mccarthy             hendrick *arter

mcclean  *hendrick                              hoolahan                        brady

long or walters

at this moment   walters or long up front  .....   since we dont have much up front but  depth  in MIDFIELD    with    whelan  meyler  and  o kane and odowda waiting for  plus the incoming  hourihane

Posted By: pleamy
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 4:35pm
I don't think Walters is out of form and when he was moved more central last night we had a glimpse of what he was doing in the last campaign. it would be great to see himself and long up front but won't happen. Starting to think out of the 2 of them, considering the style we play I would probably prefer Walters.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 4:51pm
Walters was definitely more effective centrally. Lovely lay off for McClean. Held the ball up well. 

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 7:35pm
Walters to start up front, Long to come on as super-sub?
It worked last campaign. Just a suggestion.

MON finally started leaving Whelan (great committed servant, but better options available) on the bench.

But I can't see him starting Wes in Austria, that's just a bridge too far for MON.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Walters to start up front, Long to come on as super-sub?
It worked last campaign. Just a suggestion.

MON finally started leaving Whelan (great committed servant, but better options available) on the bench.

But I can't see him starting Wes in Austria, that's just a bridge too far for MON.

Wes started against Sweden

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 7:45pm
yeap it is gonna be a bit similar as the game vs sweden  

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:02pm
Austria have serious problems in defense are are leaking goals,Fuchs retiring has really hurt them,however,they are also scoring for fun and could have possibly beaten Serbia or Wales,i would take a draw now,i do think we will score in Vienna though.......

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:05pm
yeah id deffinetly take a draw, well its not like we win away games against any decent opposition anyway so a draw would leave us in a good position going into the new year.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:15pm
One of O'Shea or Keogh has to start anyway with the other centre back chosen from Clark or Duffy.

As mentioned previously by others, it would be nice to see some fresh faces instead of some of the dead wood but doubt it will happen.

Would like to think were capable of grabbing the win as I dont think Austria are as good as they were in recent years.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:37pm
Fairly sure we'll see Horgan in the squad

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:20pm
I hope that was a spelling mistake for Hogan. Darryl Horgan needs to go prove himself in England or Scotland at this second Jhonny Hayes is a better option.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:26pm
Prove himself in Scotland ?

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Prove himself in Scotland ?

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:07am
"Prove himself in Scotland" I don't think anyone has ever said that before LOL

Playing in Ireland taking points off Dutch and Israeli teams but it's nothing cos he hasn't done a cold windy night in Inverness yet LOL

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:10am
Daryl Horgan has proven he can sliver against teams that contain other internationals, one of the Bosnian players who played against us in the play offs plays for Tel Aviv etc and they have the spine of the Israel national team.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:19am
I'd expect Austria to be similar to our game in Belgrade. Serbia had a lot of possession (59%) and goal attempts (17) but we did show even there that we could compete and scrap and not be overawed.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:49am
looking forward to this one. It reminds me a lot of the Scotland game in Glasgow in November 2014, we are going in on a high (slightly lower high this time round), it will be a very hostile environment in Vienna and were in a good position. 

A loss would not be the end of the world TBH but we need to win at the same time and leave 2016 on a high. This game will be completely different to the last 2. Sadly i can see it going like Glasgow 2014 and we will narrowly lose this game

A lot of people here think we have Hogan in the bag but theres still a lot of discussions/ground work to go and it may not be completed in time for the Austria game. There is a chance he might not be as good as hes made out to be and if he starts the game there will be huge pressure on him (same goes for Arter) 

Expect Georgia to beat Moldova and Wales/Serbia is a hard one to call but i think Wales will scrape it. If we lose than the table will look like this (Wales top on 8 pts, ourselves, Austria and Serbia joint 2nd with 7pts each and Georgia 5th (4pts) 

Posted By: TheFieldsOfAthenry
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:55am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

I hope that was a spelling mistake for Hogan. Darryl Horgan needs to go prove himself in England or Scotland at this second Jhonny Hayes is a better option.

Typical Irish mentality. Anything outside of our own country is great and the football on these shores is sh1te. Maybe Hogan should move to Dundalk and prove himself in Europe.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:56am
Horgan should be in the squad. He shouldn't be considered to start anytime soon. Even if we bring him off the bench to change a game we are in desperation. From a Bohs fan who has seen Horgan at least 10-12 times this year either live or on tv and i do think he's f**king unreal. what sets him apart is his attitude, maybe it's stephen kenny. he'll have a right run at players. But right now he hasn't proved he's  better than say Pilkington, who won't earn many caps for us with everyone fit. That isn't to say he won't prove himself, but right now the clamour has lost a bit of perspective. He won't and shouldn't play in the serious games as it stands.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:16am

Assuming everyone's at full fitness I'd like to see Hoolohan start and Walters up front. Walters to run himself into the ground and Long to come on and stretch them..

-------------

Posted By: bannerboy95
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:13am
Horgan's call up is long overdue.....think Austria are there for the taking and we should play to win however if we get a draw it would be grand as long as we keep picking up points

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

looking forward to this one. It reminds me a lot of the Scotland game in Glasgow in November 2014, we are going in on a high (slightly lower high this time round), it will be a very hostile environment in Vienna and were in a good position. 

A loss would not be the end of the world TBH but we need to win at the same time and leave 2016 on a high. This game will be completely different to the last 2. Sadly i can see it going like Glasgow 2014 and we will narrowly lose this game

A lot of people here think we have Hogan in the bag but theres still a lot of discussions/ground work to go and it may not be completed in time for the Austria game. There is a chance he might not be as good as hes made out to be and if he starts the game there will be huge pressure on him (same goes for Arter) 

Expect Georgia to beat Moldova and Wales/Serbia is a hard one to call but i think Wales will scrape it. If we lose than the table will look like this (Wales top on 8 pts, ourselves, Austria and Serbia joint 2nd with 7pts each and Georgia 5th (4pts) 

The Scotland defeat rocked us back on our heels in 2014. It meant we lost a huge amount of momentum in the group and very nearly cost us qualification. It's absolutely vital we don't lose in Vienna, not with only two teams in contention to get out of the group.

As for Hogan, now is the time for him to declare his interest (or not). If he tries any stalling tactics, we can forget about him. If a player doesn't want to play for a team who are top of their qualifying group, or needs more time to think about it, then he's not worth bothering with.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:40pm
If Hogan is taking this long to decide declaring then I wonder what's the point? He obviously not honoured to represent. What makes us strong is we have squad of players who will die for there country if it means getting the right result, can anyone on here honestly see Hogan doing that for Ireland? You must be having a laugh if you think so.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Daryl Horgan has proven he can sliver against teams that contain other internationals, one of the Bosnian players who played against us in the play offs plays for Tel Aviv etc and they have the spine of the Israel national team.

Not to mention the Serb keeper in Belgrade

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:46pm
Looking forward to this trip . Any fans matched planed ?

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: ed_1982
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

We need a new central defensive partnership as Duffy and Clarke are not up to it esp against a team like Austria who will punish them for their mistakes.

i think part of the problem we have if you could call it that, is our center halves are too proned to passing it long. we need to unearth two center halves that are comfortable playing it out. 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 3:38pm
Duffy was a calamity against France, a calamity for Blackburn where he was banging in the OG's left right and centre and made a complete fook up against Moldova. Then you have Clark who is a loose cannon. Gets caught dilly dallying on the ball numerous times.

-------------

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL

f**king autocorrect    you know what I mean

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 7:20pm

Duffy was a calamity against France, a calamity for Blackburn where he was banging in the OG's left right and centre and made a complete fook up against Moldova. Then you have Clark who is a loose cannon. Gets caught dilly dallying on the ball numerous times.

Duffy's nickname at Blackburn was 50 pence head

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 7:30pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL

f**king autocorrect    you know what I mean

actually that's not what I was getting out Tongue, there will at least one game I believe..........

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: LHurlz
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 7:52pm

shouldn't have stepped up the way he did, especially when he has 0 pace, but let's not forget that Whelan absolutely bottled a 50/50 in midfield.  If he never bottled it the ball wouldn't have gone through in the first place, personally I rate Duffy but think he will end up getting dropped for Austria.  Shame but I think he will come good

Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:46pm
Huge game at this stage of the campaign. As others have said, it's very similar to the last campaign where a decent start suffered a big setback away to Scotland. I think we can win this game but would definitely take a draw. It's crucial to keep some momentum going and not to be dwelling on a defeat for 4 months! 

There's a few changes I would make also. I'd start by bringing Keogh in for Duffy. I was surprised he was left out of the games recently. Was he carrying a knock or seriously out of form at Derby (I know they've had a terrible start to the season)? He started the last two games at the Euro's and the first game of the campaign in Serbia. Anyway, I think his experience will be crucial. There's too many mistakes in a partnership of Duffy & Clark. 

I agree that Walters has looked laboured out on the right lately. Obviously a lack of game time at Stoke isn't helping, but he looked much better when moved centrally after Long went off. He is much more effective there. I think he is wasted on the wing and it also becomes too easy for the defenders to just launch hopeful/wasteful balls out to him like we painfully witnessed v Georgia. He doesn't really have many options for knocking the ball onto out there. I think it has to be a case of starting one of either Walters or Long up top. That in turn gives us a very good attacking option to come off the bench. It probably makes more sense for Long to be the one to come on as a sub as he can then run at the tiring defence. 

This then allows someone like Hendrick to play in a more narrow role on the right to give the midfield more options and make it more solid. Or perhaps maybe he'd try an orthodox winger out there, although there's not too many options. I'd love the base of the midfield to be McCarthy and Arter but I'm not sure MON will throw Arter in from the start. I don't think the midfield three of McCarthy, Hendrick and Brady that we saw against Georgia is strong enough to be honest, especially for a game like Austria away. Personally I would have Brady on the bench for this one (awaits backlash). I don't think we should be trying to wedge players into positions and then not having much quality to bring off the bench. If you go with the below starting 11 you have serious talent in Long and Brady to come on and change things. 

Randolph

Coleman Keogh Clark Ward

McCarthy             Arter

Hendrick                          Hoolahan                                 McClean

Walters

There's no way this will be the team though LOL  I fully expect it to be the same starting 11 as the Georgia game with the exception of Duffy more than likely being dropped. 

I reckon 1-1 but I think we could nick a 1-2 Big smile

-------------
Ahh heya!

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:48pm
brady on the bench - no chance

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:51pm
I don't think so either but who would you rather have him in instead of in my team above? McClean?

-------------
Ahh heya!

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:05pm
                                                  Randolph

Coleman O'Shea Clark Ward

McCarthy             Hendrick

McClean                            Hoolahan                          Brady

Walters

Arter will be a sub.  MON is not just going to throw him in against Austria. Long is better coming off the bench IMO and Walters is a good player for us playing centrally.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:05pm
Duffy and Clark have zero pace,  might suit them against Janko! 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: LHurlz
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Randolph

Coleman O'Shea Clark Ward

McCarthy             Hendrick

Brady                            Hoolahan                            McClean

Walters

Arter will be a sub.  MON is not just going to throw him in against Austria. Long is better coming off the bench IMO and Walters is a good player for us playing centrally.
I agree with this team, definitely would like to see Arter feature.

Posted By: BriMurt
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Mr.Mojo Risin' Mr.Mojo Risin' wrote:

Huge game at this stage of the campaign. As others have said, it's very similar to the last campaign where a decent start suffered a big setback away to Scotland. I think we can win this game but would definitely take a draw. It's crucial to keep some momentum going and not to be dwelling on a defeat for 4 months! 

There's a few changes I would make also. I'd start by bringing Keogh in for Duffy. I was surprised he was left out of the games recently. Was he carrying a knock or seriously out of form at Derby (I know they've had a terrible start to the season)? He started the last two games at the Euro's and the first game of the campaign in Serbia. Anyway, I think his experience will be crucial. There's too many mistakes in a partnership of Duffy & Clark. 

I agree that Walters has looked laboured out on the right lately. Obviously a lack of game time at Stoke isn't helping, but he looked much better when moved centrally after Long went off. He is much more effective there. I think he is wasted on the wing and it also becomes too easy for the defenders to just launch hopeful/wasteful balls out to him like we painfully witnessed v Georgia. He doesn't really have many options for knocking the ball onto out there. I think it has to be a case of starting one of either Walters or Long up top. That in turn gives us a very good attacking option to come off the bench. It probably makes more sense for Long to be the one to come on as a sub as he can then run at the tiring defence. 

This then allows someone like Hendrick to play in a more narrow role on the right to give the midfield more options and make it more solid. Or perhaps maybe he'd try an orthodox winger out there, although there's not too many options. I'd love the base of the midfield to be McCarthy and Arter but I'm not sure MON will throw Arter in from the start. I don't think the midfield three of McCarthy, Hendrick and Brady that we saw against Georgia is strong enough to be honest, especially for a game like Austria away. Personally I would have Brady on the bench for this one (awaits backlash). I don't think we should be trying to wedge players into positions and then not having much quality to bring off the bench. If you go with the below starting 11 you have serious talent in Long and Brady to come on and change things. 

Randolph

Coleman Keogh Clark Ward

McCarthy             Arter

Hendrick                          Hoolahan                                 McClean

Walters

There's no way this will be the team though LOL  I fully expect it to be the same starting 11 as the Georgia game with the exception of Duffy more than likely being dropped. 

I reckon 1-1 but I think we could nick a 1-2 Big smile

Arter/McCarthy - you're putting in one guy who's an unknown quantity in an Irish shirt and another who lacks character and work rate. That's not a pairing I want to see if the team's trying to overcome a deficit against Austria. Not that I'm a fan of negative play, but I can see the logic of setting up more defensive mindedly in that game.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:20pm
I'd actually like to see us have a go at Austria from the off, given how they lost in Serbia and how Wales drew at home to Georgia we have a decent hit on Austria now. Lose and we're still not in a bad position.

Don't get me wrong I'd be happy with a point if you were giving me one now, but in all seriousness it's Austria away we're playing not Argentina. 

McCarthy can hold, you have Arter beside him and Weso just off Walters or Long you have players who can retain possession. McClean is a willing runner, as is Hendrick who imo is suited to playing on the wing in international football as its limits his responsibility to demand the ball. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:24pm
If Arter and Wes start, and Duffy is dropped for O'Shea, the odds are significantly more in our favour than if the team that started v Georgia are picked.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

If Arter and Wes start, and Duffy is dropped for O'Shea, the odds are significantly more in our favour than if the team that started v Georgia are picked.

And if you would like them two to start I assume you are putting Brady left wing and dropping McClean?

-------------
Ahh heya!

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:37pm

I don't think so either but who would you rather have him in instead of in my team above? McClean?

Yes, absolutely. McClean is the one with all the pace and dynamism, but can't touch Brady for technique. He's the one you want on at 60 minutes

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 12:00am
That's fair enough. I wouldn't mind too much who started between them two on the left. Although I do think it would be harsh to drop McClean after a 2 goal performance and a solid start to the campaign. On the other hand Brady's set pieces could be crucial. My fear is sometimes when McClean comes on as a sub he tries too hard to get into the pace of the game and he makes rash challenges. But, admittedly, other times he has come on and changed a game for us. But I certainly don't think we should be playing Brady centrally at the moment. Not when you've got Wes who can play it so much better and probably even Hendrick who's more used to it.

-------------
Ahh heya!

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 12:04am

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

And if you would like them two to start I assume you are putting Brady left wing and dropping McClean?

Havent been as enamoured by McClean's performances as some members of the media, and the player himself said he didnt play well against Moldova until he scored.

But, the consensus seems to be that his energy brings something to the team that others dont really offer. He is considered by some as certain to start v Austria.

If that's the case, Brady has to be on the pitch, and that would mean moving to left back to accommodate the two I mentioned and McClean. I'd not be overly pleased tho at the thought of Brady at left back, so its tough.

I'd just have to pick Brady over McClean.

MON will pick both, with Ward at left back. Arter and/or Wes wont start.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 12:10am
McClean is arguably my favourite Irish player but i'd have him on after 60 in this one. Dropping Brady is unthinkable and McClean could really have a go at a tiring Austrian defence in a tight game. Poland at home comes to mind, he was absolutely immense when he came on. In the years to come, if i think of that game, before i think of Shane Long's equaliser i'll probably think of McClean's reducer on Milik first and the roof coming off the place Clap

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 9:56am

That's funny as I could've sworn we beat 2 in the last year in crunch games that ended up qualifying us.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 10:02am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

I just we're in for a tough night against a team that know they can't afford to drop any more home points against another of their group rivals. Obviously it's great that we have had good results but to me a draw would be the best we're probably going to get. I would love to see us get right at their defence which'll be very nervous when they're up against a pacey player like Long.

I think Long will be one of the very players we can't really afford to lose for this one.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 10:03am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

That's funny as I could've sworn we beat 2 in the last year in crunch games that ended up qualifying us.

Which 2 did we beat?  Are you counting Bosnia?  They are far from a top nation. They finished 3rd in their group.  They were rubbish and had no team spirit.  They are currently behind Greece in their group.

We wouldn't have a hope against a real top team in a playoff over two legs. 

-------------

Posted By: Fanny MaGee
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 10:13am
Bosnia are far from rubbish. They've been consistently ranked and seeded above us for the last few years and topped their last WC qualifying group, which in this day and age is quite an achievement. We have never topped a WC qualifying group. Their team is full of Bundesliga and Serie A players too. Ok, they got hammered by Belgium last week, just like we were hammered by them in June.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 10:23am
Ranked a few spots higher which means bugger all. There are teams you find ranked higher than us that shouldnt be.   They are about the same level as ourselves.  That qualifying group they topped was very weak. Greece Slovakia and Lithuania were the other teams.   We have players playing in 'the best league in the world' you know.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 10:36am

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Which 2 did we beat?  Are you counting Bosnia?  They are far from a top nation. They finished 3rd in their group.  They were rubbish and had no team spirit.  They are currently behind Greece in their group.

We wouldn't have a hope against a real top team in a playoff over two legs. 

Germany & Italy you loon!!  LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net