Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Austria v Ireland Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 63>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Despite my pre-match concerns the 2 Centre Halves done well in a very mature and professional performance. Only real downside was R. Brady's stupid yellow card and suspension for the Wales match.

I was sitting in Poznan station after the defeat to Italy in 2012 feeling very downbeat. Over the tannoy there was an announcement that the Paris to Moscow express train was delayed. I made a bet there and then that if we qualified for the 2018 WC that I'd make the trip to Russia on the Paris to Moscow express. Starting to look like I'm going to need a neck pillow, 24 cans, a batch loaf and a 6 pack of king. Happy Days.

LOL

Sounds like a great trip

Takes about 44 hours, so probably need more than 24 cans.

Another Batch Loaf wouldn't go a miss either
Sponsored Links

Skripi91 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skripi91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:00pm
Well done by the boys, great perfomance, great result.
First 10 minutes were crucial with all the offense effort by Austria. After that they seem a bit desperated why they didn´t scored a goal and our lads knew how to handle it.
McClean´s goal such a beauty and now we got these important 3 pointsClap
The Euros gonna hear the Irish ROAR
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:09pm
Oh yeah forgot about Brady's yellow card what a dope Angry
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:12pm
After this game the midfield could be very different to what we'd have thought after the Euros. Arter had a solid game for his proper debut so he will only get better and Meyler was great when he came on. Hoolahan was poor but he still produced the two best bits of skill in the match. 

Whelan and McCarthy could be subs for Wales if the lads above are all fit. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:20pm
Thought we were pretty brutal first 35 minutes, sloppy passing and aimless enough stuff but could never fault our attitude.  Was only when we carved them open for Walters' chance that the penny seemed to drop that these were there for the taking.

Much better second half and Meyler proved, again, he can be relied upon if needed and ARter got better the longer the game wore on.

Sublime goal, from our corner of the park to the corner of their net.

I hope we batter these coonts in Dublin, some dreadful play-acting from several of them.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

After this game the midfield could be very different to what we'd have thought after the Euros. Arter had a solid game for his proper debut so he will only get better and Meyler was great when he came on. Hoolahan was poor but he still produced the two best bits of skill in the match. 

Whelan and McCarthy could be subs for Wales if the lads above are all fit. 

Can see it being McCarthy an Arter starting
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Thought we were pretty brutal first 35 minutes, sloppy passing and aimless enough stuff but could never fault our attitude.  Was only when we carved them open for Walters' chance that the penny seemed to drop that these were there for the taking.

Much better second half and Meyler proved, again, he can be relied upon if needed and ARter got better the longer the game wore on.

I hope we batter these coonts in Dublin, some dreadful play-acting from several of them.

Especially Janko, Duffy placed his hand on his head you'd think Duffy was after clogging him with a hammer.

Glad referee played on when Wimmer went down looking for something when a hand on his shoulder resulted in him doing an impression of William Dafoe from Platoon which of course then resulted in the goal

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:44pm

would agree there, thought we looked like rag arse rovers, with the midfield running around like headless chickens. Thought wes, Hendrick and arter were pretty poor in the first half. With the later two Excellent in the second half. What a pass from wes though.Thought our back 4 were superb. And glad Clark and Duffy proved a lot of people wrong.

Not seeing any posts from the lads who crucified us after the Serbia game. Or where is planning, that's 4 higher seeds in 12 months we have beaten.

I think the captaincy is really suiting Coleman too. Has brought the best out in him.

Edited by Citizen - 14 Nov 2016 at 12:45pm
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Especially Janko, Duffy placed his hand on his head you'd think Duffy was after clogging him with a hammer.

Glad referee played on when Wimmer went down looking for something when a hand on his shoulder resulted in him doing an impression of William Dafoe from Platoon which of course then resulted in the goal

Wasn't it poetic justice that the goal came directly from their knobjockery!!

Via two great passes and a smashing run from Jimmy!

Edited by eire77 - 14 Nov 2016 at 12:46pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:47pm

I was sitting in Poznan station after the defeat to Italy in 2012 feeling very downbeat. Over the tannoy there was an announcement that the Paris to Moscow express train was delayed. I made a bet there and then that if we qualified for the 2018 WC that I'd make the trip to Russia on the Paris to Moscow express. Starting to look like I'm going to need a neck pillow, 24 cans, a batch loaf and a 6 pack of king. Happy Days.

Classic
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 9:09pm
That second half was one of the best away performances I've seen in a long time, fully deserved the win.

Three pairs of socks on and my feet were still freezing, still not as bad as Poland last year though.
KILCRUISE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KILCRUISE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 7:00am
great trip to Vienna. below is a link to some pictures of the weekend

may the road rise to meet you but make sure it does not slap you in the face
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:51am
Fantastic 2nd half from the lads they really grew into it I felt. First half I think some of the lads in midfield didn't have a clue about their shape, who they were supposed to be picking up etc., but they figured it out and I was so impressed with them in the 2nd half, really.

A few hairy moments of course, but what a fantastic win. I was one of those who was critical after Serbia (I still feel we sat much too deep and invited the Serbs back into it) but it's looking like a great point away from home. I also think the boys may have learned from it, while of course Saturday was a defensive performance they didn't just lump it away every chance they got from when we scored, we tried to play a bit and relieve pressure on ourselves. Smart football.

Coleman is an animal now with the captaincy. Meyler was great, Arter grew into it really well and McClean, what can you say! Wales in March is going to be huge!
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 8:25pm
Can we nick the stadium announcer and bring him back with us? he was very good, had the crowd riled up all through half time
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Can we nick the stadium announcer and bring him back with us? he was very good, had the crowd riled up all through half time

Reminded me of the slowest p!ss ever during half time, virtually no toilets in Rang 1-2 and the one or two there had 15 minute queues. Thank christ I left on half time and made it back just on kick off for the second half. 

Considering it was revamped for Euro 2008, I thought the stadium was in very bad shape. Basic stuff like worn off paint for the row numbers on the steps. I also got the impression the stewards weren't too arsed being there. 
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 10:31am
A former well known poster on here missed the goal cos he was queuing for a Cheeseburger, lad is related to Honey Monster. LOL
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 11:59pm
Austria never showed up, but we won. Their first loss to us at home and first in Vienna in 4 years, while Serbia did us another favour in Wales.

Austria have 6 games left, half of them against the minnows. We have our next two at home, beat Austria at home and they'll be as good as gone. If we don't, they'll be within reach, and the group will still be wide open.

Edited by planning - 18 Nov 2016 at 12:04am
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:08am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Austria never showed up, but we won. Their first loss to us at home and first in Vienna in 4 years, while Serbia did us another favour in Wales.

Austria have 6 games left, half of them against the minnows. We have our next two at home, beat Austria at home and they'll be as good as gone. If we don't, they'll be within reach, and the group will still be wide open.

Agree with your post btw except that they did show up but were clearly a team under pressure and with low confidence.

Would you give O'Neill any credit for how we started this group so far?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 63>
  Share Topic