You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Europes Best and Worst Airports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

What other airports allow smoking beyond security cos Newcastle can't be the only one surely.

When I went to Alcudia last month and saw the smoking sign I almost burst into happy tears, smokers will know what I mean by when once you're past security the wait for the next cig is never ending 

There is a beer garden in Dublin airport past security where you can smoke. Used to love it when I was on the lovely lovely fags

Excellent stuff.

Never exactly looked around Dublin properly, by the time I get there I just want to be home with how far it is from the City Centre.

Outside peak traffic its not that bad but peak times im just sick of me life and just wanna get home
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Another BS Sbyrne fact, crew use different security to everyone else and can take through 2l bottles, including in Dublin

Source? I worked in the airport and used to do it

In fairness, he doesn't say he was flying as crew on that occasion. Also, if he works for BA, it would make sense that he wasn't flying as crew in or out of Modlin, where BA don't fly.

Fair point, comment retracted!
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:53pm
The approach into Miami airport is absolutely amazing. Right over South Beach and the man made millionaire islands
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 5:16pm
Anyone travelling to Georgia notice the name of the Airport in Kutaisi "David the Builder Airport" never knew bob had a brother living in Georgia!!!
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 5:47pm

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Another BS Sbyrne fact, crew use different security to everyone else and can take through 2l bottles, including in Dublin

Source? I worked in the airport and used to do it

In fairness, he doesn't say he was flying as crew on that occasion. Also, if he works for BA, it would make sense that he wasn't flying as crew in or out of Modlin, where BA don't fly.

Fair point, comment retracted!

Thank you SD.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

I cant understand the hatred for Stansted.

My sister lives nearby so I use it a lot.

It's a fcuking airport, I dont eat there, shop there, drink there - I use it because they have airplanes there. Get in and get out.

I like Madrid airport.

half the problem with stansted is the name, London Stansted. It's not London. It's not even close. It should be called Essex airport if anything. or just Stansted. but not london. by the time you get there on the poxy train from liverpool st you've already had a miserable experience. it stops in tottenham for christ sake. nothing should ever stop in tottenham. 
the same can be said for Gatwick and Luton! You could even say Heathrow isn't London either it's out in Middlesex!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 05 Oct 2016 at 6:21pm
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

It's a fcuking airport, I dont eat there, shop there, drink there - I use it because they have airplanes there. Get in and get out.

I like Madrid airport.

half the problem with stansted is the name, London Stansted. It's not London. It's not even close. It should be called Essex airport if anything. or just Stansted. but not london. by the time you get there on the poxy train from liverpool st you've already had a miserable experience. it stops in tottenham for christ sake. nothing should ever stop in tottenham. 
the same can be said for Gatwick and Luton! You could even say Heathrow isn't London either it's out in Middlesex!

Stansted is fine plus flight time is usually 50 mins ish unlike gatwick at 1hr 15

Plus can do a bit of work on the stansted express

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 8:57pm
In terms of the best i'd definitely have to agree with the aforementioned Amsterdam Schiphol, Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok and Singapore Changi airport. Must Say that Osaka Kansai airport was also spot on. 

Asia pretty much always has good airports though.

Lately I like travelling through Vienna as it's affordable, lounge access is easy with a daypass you can buy on the spot, and a good network to connect onwards.

London Stansted probably the worst, as the facilities are adequate enough, but the fact you can;t do on airside transfer is just bizarre. Especially in an interational hub like London!
Also pretty bad were Faro in Portugal (security understaffing a nightare) and Miami is just a big ordeal to travel onwards when connecting as the immigration process really adds onto the connecting time. Always stress to get through there.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:32pm
Stanstead is always bunged to the rafters and the automated passport thing on the way out is a pain in the arse as invariably you are stuck behind some confused Mediterranean type. The staff are rude. There is nowhere to smoke. It is an pain in the ballix getting to it or very expensive via public transport. Utterly horrible place.

Whoever above said Modlin is crap was right.

Palma airport is like a zoo in the summer with the absolute dregs of British society roaming about yapping.

I like Gatwick. It used to be free until relatively recently from London Bridge.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Stanstead is always bunged to the rafters and the automated passport thing on the way out is a pain in the arse as invariably you are stuck behind some confused Mediterranean type. The staff are rude. There is nowhere to smoke. It is an pain in the ballix getting to it or very expensive via public transport. Utterly horrible place.

Palma airport is like a zoo in the summer with the absolute dregs of British society roaming about yapping.

I like Gatwick. It used to be free until relatively recently from London Bridge.
I believed the inbreds still liked the south of France, most have houses there just to piss the locals off. Think a few like Sardinia too, would imagine Palma be full of ordinary Tans.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:42pm

I like Madrid airport.

Sister lives in Cambridge so usually got picked up or train to Cambridge.
Flew to Cambridge on a Cityjet Fokker 50, great craic, airport two minutes from her gaff.

Take your point about about Tottenham.
I lived there for six weeks in the 90s and couldnt wait to get out and its a helluva lot worse now.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 9:16am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Interesting video in terms of the Funchal.

Would majority of airports you fly into though be programmed in the plane ?

It depends on various factors It is airline/airport/aircraft dependent mostly weather comes into play also, a lot of airlines actively discourage manual flying of the aircraft, which leads to lose of aptitude in the flight deck, it also leads to being 'out of the loop' as the pilot in command is basically became a costumed to monitoring the aircraft and not flying it. This at times can become evident in the sim checks. Airbus in general are more aimed towards that kind of flying due to the nature of the aircraft compared to Boeing which is hand on, it actually feels like an aircraft.

Edited by SByrne24 - 06 Oct 2016 at 9:18am
Lodger View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 9:26am
Liepaja Airport in Latvia beats Waterford.  Takes 5 - 10 minutes to be sitting on the plane after entering the building, no longer a commercial airport however.

Agree re Beauvais, a kip of the highest order with the most uncooperative staff I've ever come across.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

I have a theory about those machines, the problem with them is where they are positioned, there's a massive f**king window behind you as you queue for them and on a sunny day the brightness from the window means that the camera can't focus properly because there's too much light going into the lens.
If you ever spend time queueing up keep an eye on the people ahead of you and you will see that more people who use the machines on the left hand side have problems than those on the right because the ones on the right don't get as much sunshine on the camera.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 10:44am
Forgot to mention Zurich - top top airport. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 12:19pm

I like Madrid airport.

Sister lives in Cambridge so usually got picked up or train to Cambridge.
Flew to Cambridge on a Cityjet Fokker 50, great craic, airport two minutes from her gaff.

Take your point about about Tottenham.
I lived there for six weeks in the 90s and couldnt wait to get out and its a helluva lot worse now.
It is great for connecting Cambridge and Ireland alright, not that I will be using it for a lot now! Cambridge is a bit of a kip too mind.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Cambridge is a bit of a kip too mind.
LOL
I walked from the runway, through a small building and I was in the car park.
LOL

Has anyone on here, apart from Baron von Richthofen, been on a Fokker 50, great fun.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 12:29pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Cambridge is a bit of a kip too mind.
LOL
I walked from the runway, through a small building and I was in the car park.
LOL

Has anyone on here, apart from Baron von Richthofen, been on a Fokker 50, great fun.

I meant the city, they are closing the airport forpassenger flights.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic