You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The happiest moment in Irish football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Long against Germany for me. I was heading into Lansdowne with my 9 yr old and he turned to me and said 'Dad, you know we've no chance, they won the world cup'. I replied 'no son, we have to believe'. As soon as I said it, I was terrified that it'd be another 5-0 and he'd be scarred for life!!

Slowly things started to point to a possible surprise, the Germans were missing everything, the lads were getting stuck in. About 70 mins, I shouted out 'its time to believe, lads'.

2 minutes later, Shane was bearing down on goal and his sweet strike stung the back of the net. We were in the front row of 116. I picked up my son and turned him to see the crazy celebrations behind us. He kicked me to turn around and there was Shane and the rest of the lads celebrating right in front of us.

The next morning 7.30am flight to Warsaw, wrecked, a free seat beside me. An auld lad, 80 at least, struggled down the aisle. I was thinking, please don't sit there (shame on me)..He stopped at my row and I helped him up with his case.

He sat down and said, 'here, do you want to read my Indo, son'. I thanked him and looked at the big picture on the front page. There I was with my mouth open ready to lift my son right in front of Shane's lifted arms. I turned to look out the window of the plane, tears in my eyes.

'y'alright, son?'

'I'm grand'
Its great to hear stories like this.ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Sponsored Links

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:50am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Keane V Germany in '02. 

Robbie Brady V Italy in Lille.

Noel Hunt V Italy in Bari. 

I like the way you went local on that one.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:53am
Wasn't at these so had to do with the TV

Houghton v England
Whelans cracker v Russia
McLoughlin v The Nordies

For the games attended
O'Shea v Germany
Long v Germany
McAteer v Holland
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
de scientist View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote de scientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:54am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Keane V Germany in '02. 

Robbie Brady V Italy in Lille.

Noel Hunt V Italy in Bari. 

I like the way you went local on that one.

What ya should have said was you have never seen Deise happy at a match! 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:07am
JOS last minute goal against the Germans in Gelsenkirchen, was also my 30th birthday so there was no better present
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:12am
Playing the Dutch has broken my heart but also given me the happiest times of my life....

Heartbreak Euro '88:
Paul McGrath's header against the post and Wim Kieft's spinning header.

Joy WC 1990:
Niall Quinn's equaliser when Van Breukelen made a mess.

Anfield The Kop 1995:
Probably the best Ireland atmosphere I've witnessed beaten 2-0 by Holland but some night Jackie Charlton waved us goodbye.

Lansdowne 2001 v Holland:
Was in the West Stand when McAteer scored and thought it was going to collapse.

bannerboy95 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:13am
Brady v Italy enough said
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Playing the Dutch has broken my heart but also given me the happiest times of my life....

Heartbreak Euro '88:

Joy WC 1990:

Anfield The Kop 1995:
Probably the best Ireland atmosphere I've witnessed beaten 2-0 by Holland but some night Jackie Charlton waved us goodbye.

Also Oct 1980

1 0 down with about 10 mins to.go.in Lansdowne and coming back to.win 2 1 against a Dutch team that had played in the last two world cup finals.

Also the 1 0 win when Robbie scored in a friendly around 2003/4 in Amsterdam
I know nothing :-)
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Heartbreak Euro '88:

Joy WC 1990:

Anfield The Kop 1995:

Also Oct 1980

1 0 down with about 10 mins to.go.in Lansdowne and coming back to.win 2 1 against a Dutch team that had played in the last two world cup finals.

Clap
Can I add Gary Waddock's goal against the Dutch at Dalymount mid 80's place went wild including lads on roof.

bananarepublic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bananarepublic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:33am
When you think of it for a small football nation of 4 million or so we have a lot of really good memories on the intrnational stage...not just run of the mill stuff but legendary wins and performances.

'88 - Razor, Stuttgart beating England
'90 - Italia'90
'94 - Giants Stadium
'01 - The dutch game
'02 - Robbie v Kahn...going so close against Spain
'15 - Beating Germany
'16 - Brady in Lille

I am grateful that I was there for 50% of these in the flesh while engrossed to the TV in a pub or with friends and family for the other 50%

Picking one I would have to say beating England in '88 as the best.

Edited by bananarepublic - 05 Oct 2016 at 10:34am
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:54am

Heartbreak Euro '88:

Joy WC 1990:

Anfield The Kop 1995:

Also Oct 1980

Clap
Can I add Gary Waddock's goal against the Dutch at Dalymount mid 80's place went wild including lads on roof.

Memoirs yes and Brady made it 2 up only for the Dutch to.come back.and win 3 2

Dalymiunt definitely the best stadium for atmosphere in the good old days of.no.social.media and only.posh people had house phones lol
I know nothing :-)
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:36am

Heartbreak Euro '88:

Joy WC 1990:

Anfield The Kop 1995:

Also Oct 1980

Clap

Dalymiunt definitely the best stadium for atmosphere in the good old days of.no.social.media and only.posh people had house phones lol

I was at that game. I went by myself as a teenager. I didnt realise we lost until the next day, and even told a few people on the way home that we drew 2-2. I went for a piss and the Dutch scored and I never even knew itLOL
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Thankfully Ive a few to choose from but Im going to go for Robbie Keane in Paris and Robbie Brady in Lille. Paris was my first away game and I brought my da to it. The sing songs, the banter, the anticipation was just something else. When I close my eyes, despite the copious amounts of alcohol, I can still see that goal played out. Ended up 3 or 4 rows behind me somehow, in the arms of some young wan. Stuck the head on her in the celebrations and ran back down to find me da resulting in probably the tightest embrace ever!!

By the time Euro 16 came Id been living in Canada almost 4 years and visa trouble meant I couldnt travel back for it. Brady's goal was a bit more personal because we're both from Baldoyle and I've known him pretty much all my life. Knocked off work early for the Italy game and Im pretty sure I still had my head in my hands after Weso's miss and then it came. To see your mate score a goal of that magnitude for our country in a major championships was something else. Then seeing his brothers Cian, Darren, Redser and his girlfriend at the final whistle sent me into tears. A brilliant night that was

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:44am
In my lifetime it's definitely Brady vs Italy, followed by Long vs Germany 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 12:10pm

A 21 year old Gullit scored twice and a 19 year old van Basten got the other !!!!

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 1:44pm
The 3-2 win over the French in 1981 in my top 5......Stuttgart (88), Gelsenkirchen (14), LR (01), LR (81) and Genoa (90).
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 5:05pm
It's a toss up between 3 for me.
1. When they played the national anthem in poznan against Croatia at Euro 2012, hairs on the back of my neck never stood up like that before nor since.
2. Osheas equaliser in gelsenkirchen.
3. Longs goal against Germany in the aviva.

Edited by greenlad - 05 Oct 2016 at 5:05pm
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 12:45am
Whelans volley v Russia
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic