Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54535
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 9:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The happiest moment in Irish football
Posted By: Vepkhistqaosani
Subject: The happiest moment in Irish football
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 2:53pm
The moment which still makes you cry with happiness.
Describe and post the goal, emotions of people, ambiance etc (How did the person(s) next to you react, what did they or commentator say (if you watched), how the stadium erupted, how many minutes were left to the whistle? Did you, the stadium, the nation hold the breath? Anything. What reminds and revives the emotion and memory. Which makes it special, memorable.). 
And if you want to tell more: What importance did it have to the team, to Ireland, to you.  Why was and is it so emotional? Share your experience, share your memory and how it revives when you remember it.

That`s why we love football, and more you remember such moments more you love it, it and your team. (But of course football and love of it (and of our team) is not all about  joy. Rather, these moments are so special and emotional because footballers and fans did their best, worked as never, desired as never, it was almost unexpected, because it was so hard, it was, because we were not favourites, and we were not favourites because in such circumstances one loses and one was almost destined to lose, but then, out of sheer love for the game, for the team one overcomes all of these. I think what shines at these times is this desire, faith and hope in our heart of hearts that we will win despite all of the facts, rankings etc. It is not about knowing and reasoning that we will win. So it is about this (and not only about joy): despite (usually) losing on this or that level, despite disappointments, you believe in your team, against all facts, and you go with this belief to the stadium, you count hours to the game, and you got envisioned this great wins already. And sometimes it really happens and it is inevitable now that if so many fans wait for the match and go to the stadium with such dreams, no result can subdue them, no result can make them turn their back to the game, and in such an ambiance and such a love of the game (of your team) starts the way towards these emotional moments.

-------------
Maybe fortune decided so:Ireland desperately need points when they visit Georgia.And they experience what brothers Scots did:The irony of fate &a perfect revenge.Wake me up when September comes!(Grin)

Replies:
Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:15pm
Shane LOOOOONNNGGGG!!!

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:21pm
Probably 1990 Romania in the World Cup.
Then 1994 Italy in World Cup

Recently
2009 Robbie Keane's goal in Paris
2016 Italy in Euro

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:26pm
has to be robbies goal v germany in 2002. was in kildare at the time in a pub in naas. place went bananas. great memory of a truely awful awful town. was glad to see the back of it.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:38pm
Houghton with the shot and it's there!!! Rayyyy Houghton

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:39pm
Either I'm having Deja Vu or there is a thread on this already

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:40pm
When the final whistle went in Stuttgart in 88.
Grown men breaking down in tears.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You said that the last time.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You said that the last time.

I may be thinking of the Robbie Keane favorite moment thread

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:47pm

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:48pm
Houghton in '94. That really cemented my love for the team. 

Was only 9  in 1990 and remember the penno's well, but Houghton was the first time I really grasped the emotion of it all. Great memories.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:49pm
Stuttgart 1988.  First game in a major finals and a 1-0 win over England.  

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:56pm
When Trapatoni got sacked. At least their was hope for the future after years of sterile football.

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
1. Robbie Brady's goal v Italy in Lille (a mix of euphoria and relief at the same time - brilliant enough on it's own but to be there as well, and at my 1st major tournament...Heart)

2. John O'Shea's equaliser in Gelsenkirchen (my 1st away match!) 

3. Ray Houghton's winner v Italy at WC94 - and the final whistle (in between was absolute torture LOL)

4. Penalty shoot-out v Romania at WC90

Obviously would also have mentioned Robbie Keane's goal v Germany in 2002 but bCensoredx of a boss wouldn't let me off work to watch the game. Angry Was able to have the radio commentary on in work but obviously NOWHERE near the same.Cry

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:27pm
"We'll do them for you today lads...." no explanation needed and....

Sheasy's goal in Gelsenkirchen. I was very emotional after that goal, the goal coming in the same town that Vim Kieft broke our hearts 26 years earlier.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
Final whistle in Stuttgart.  84 minutes hanging on, our first game in a finals, against the ould enemy, the banishing of Johnny Atyeo ghost of 1957 and other ghosts that cheated us getting to finals until then.

Outpouring of relief, delight, ecstasy, pride and unbridled joy.  Will never be surpassed.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Final whistle in Stuttgart.  84 minutes hanging on, our first game in a finals, against the ould enemy, the banishing of Johnny Atyeo ghost of 1957 and other ghosts that cheated us getting to finals until then.

Outpouring of relief, delight, ecstasy, pride and unbridled joy.  Will never be surpassed.

That fleeting moment between Razor scoring, looking at the linesman and seeing no flag raised. Time seemed to stand still...

-------------

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:53pm
They all compare in their own way but as I remember them:

Quinn sliding in to score against Holland 1990

Packie's save Romania 1990

Quinn scoring in Wembley 1991

Alan McLoughlin hitting that peach of a volley in Windsor Park 1993

Rayyyy Houghton!! 1994

Anfield 95 speaks for itself

McAteer v Holland, ended up 2-3 rows forward in the east stand hugging some auld culchie

More recent: 

O'Shea in Gelsenkirchen since living in Germany and being in the German end made it all the sweeter

Shane Long for obvious reasons

Brady against Italy, doing the unthinkable with 5 minutes left

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:57pm
one I'd also add having seeing it in live was John Aldridge celebrating in Couto's face after scoring the winner against Portugal. Alas, that would be our last good result under Charlton and he was gone by Christmas 

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm
Keane's goal in Bari, Brady's penalty against France, Brady's goal in Zenica, the final whistle in Estonia 2011, they'd all be up there for me, with most of the above.

Honourable mentions too for Slovakia 0-4 Armenia,  Georgia 1-0 Scotland, and when it was announced Roy Keane was returning to play for Ireland.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:29pm
Best moment being there was Long v Germany and Brady v Italy.

Not being there was the 2nd leg play off v Iran. Was in the Palace on Camden st and place was packed at something like 2 in the day. It was mental and amazing.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:32pm
Gary mackay v bulgaria first time we ever qualified.not to forget both sheedy and quinns late equaliser s in Italia 90

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:30pm
1/ The Genoa game 1990 and shoot out , nothing inn all these years has come close really .
2/ Shane Long Germany game Lansdowne , Just the sheer madness in 114 never seen anything like in in that section .
3/ Wales in Croke Park , I was in tears as soon as the anthems started as a life time been told it would never happen but it did .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
Can't choose between Long against Germany and Brady in Lille. Both absolute carnage in the stands, shed a tear at both. Brady's i probably went even more mental because with Long's it was nervousness mixed with cautious optimism that we might get a draw before the goal went in, with Brady's everyone was deflated because Wes had just missed "the chance" or so we thought a minute before

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:41pm
Hard to rank them personally,

Brady v Italy Euro 2016, didnt know what to do with myself for 24hrs. Didnt even need a drink, was running off pure adrenaline. Ended up hopping a train to Lyon instead of my train home.

O'Shea v Germany, last kick of the game. Was getting ready to walk towards the exits. Jaysus I must have fell 20 rows forward celebrating. Cuts and bruises head to toe. Never experienced a last gasp goal like that one. Ended up on the beer for 5 nights afterwards in DusseldorfLOL

Brady v France Euro 2016, could barely breath when it went in. Tears were shed and 60mins we couldnt stop dreaming.

Keane v Germany WC 2002, no explanations.

Too many thankfullyClap

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:01pm
Richard Dunne's homemade jersey against Russia away.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:05pm
Probably Long V Germany for a number of reasons
nobody expected it
we had to hang on for 20 mins ( we would not have hung on against Italy for 20 mins)
they were world champions
it actually mattered as we qualified
first tie the Aviva was really rockin
still get emotional watching it again - will take it to the grave

special mention for Estonia 0-4 Ireland - watched stone cold sober

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:14pm
Thankfully Ive a few to choose from but Im going to go for Robbie Keane in Paris and Robbie Brady in Lille. Paris was my first away game and I brought my da to it. The sing songs, the banter, the anticipation was just something else. When I close my eyes, despite the copious amounts of alcohol, I can still see that goal played out. Ended up 3 or 4 rows behind me somehow, in the arms of some young wan. Stuck the head on her in the celebrations and ran back down to find me da resulting in probably the tightest embrace ever!!

By the time Euro 16 came Id been living in Canada almost 4 years and visa trouble meant I couldnt travel back for it. Brady's goal was a bit more personal because we're both from Baldoyle and I've known him pretty much all my life. Knocked off work early for the Italy game and Im pretty sure I still had my head in my hands after Weso's miss and then it came. To see your mate score a goal of that magnitude for our country in a major championships was something else. Then seeing his brothers Cian, Darren, Redser and his girlfriend at the final whistle sent me into tears. A brilliant night that was

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:39pm
McLoughlin v Northern Ireland
Houghton v Italy
McAteer v Holland
Robbie Keane v Germany
O'Shea v Germany
Long v Germany
Brady v Italy

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: eviemonkey
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:04pm
Lille. window.post_1475615860861_19 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }window.post_1475615863944_43 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }

After the double dejection of the performance and result in Bordeaux and the short 4-day turnaround, it was difficult initially to get up again for the Italy game. Everyone I knew was flying back home after the Belgium game. After ten days on the batter, I was half-tempted to join them myself. 

It was hard to spend the Monday and Tuesday in Paris watching the Northern Irish and Welsh celebrating their own qualification, when I couldn't see us beating Italy at that stage.

That all changed when you landed in Lille. There was a special atmosphere and build-up around the city all day. That only intensified when you entered the stadium and experienced the wall of Irish noise under the closed roof. 

The performance was great but would have counted for nothing without the win. The goal celebrations were manic. I was in the first row on the second tier directly behind the goal. I was glad of the perplex wall that protected us from the tier below. The rendition of ybig in the 88th minute was a moment I will take to the grave. 

Five minutes later, the full time whistle and the tears flowed. Strangers on all sides were hugged. The one or two Italians behind us and the match day stewards wore smiles almost as big as my own. You can't put a price on the quiet contentment and pride you felt on the metro back to the city centre and the return train to Paris.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:05pm
McLoughlin's equaliser v the North. Balled my eyes out when it went in. The babysitter thought I was a freak!

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:09pm
Long against Germany for me. I was heading into Lansdowne with my 9 yr old and he turned to me and said 'Dad, you know we've no chance, they won the world cup'. I replied 'no son, we have to believe'. As soon as I said it, I was terrified that it'd be another 5-0 and he'd be scarred for life!!

Slowly things started to point to a possible surprise, the Germans were missing everything, the lads were getting stuck in. About 70 mins, I shouted out 'its time to believe, lads'.

2 minutes later, Shane was bearing down on goal and his sweet strike stung the back of the net. We were in the front row of 116. I picked up my son and turned him to see the crazy celebrations behind us. He kicked me to turn around and there was Shane and the rest of the lads celebrating right in front of us.

The next morning 7.30am flight to Warsaw, wrecked, a free seat beside me. An auld lad, 80 at least, struggled down the aisle. I was thinking, please don't sit there (shame on me)..He stopped at my row and I helped him up with his case.

He sat down and said, 'here, do you want to read my Indo, son'. I thanked him and looked at the big picture on the front page. There I was with my mouth open ready to lift my son right in front of Shane's lifted arms. I turned to look out the window of the plane, tears in my eyes.

'y'alright, son?'

'I'm grand'

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:12pm
Keane V Germany in '02. 

Robbie Brady V Italy in Lille.

Noel Hunt V Italy in Bari. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:15pm
Brady against Italy followed by O'Shea away to Germany

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Long against Germany for me. I was heading into Lansdowne with my 9 yr old and he turned to me and said 'Dad, you know we've no chance, they won the world cup'. I replied 'no son, we have to believe'. As soon as I said it, I was terrified that it'd be another 5-0 and he'd be scarred for life!!

Slowly things started to point to a possible surprise, the Germans were missing everything, the lads were getting stuck in. About 70 mins, I shouted out 'its time to believe, lads'.

2 minutes later, Shane was bearing down on goal and his sweet strike stung the back of the net. We were in the front row of 116. I picked up my son and turned him to see the crazy celebrations behind us. He kicked me to turn around and there was Shane and the rest of the lads celebrating right in front of us.

The next morning 7.30am flight to Warsaw, wrecked, a free seat beside me. An auld lad, 80 at least, struggled down the aisle. I was thinking, please don't sit there (shame on me)..He stopped at my row and I helped him up with his case.

He sat down and said, 'here, do you want to read my Indo, son'. I thanked him and looked at the big picture on the front page. There I was with my mouth open ready to lift my son right in front of Shane's lifted arms. I turned to look out the window of the plane, tears in my eyes.

'y'alright, son?'

'I'm grand'

Brilliant story! Makes all the miserable disappointing nights worth while!

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:24pm

'y'alright, son?'

'I'm grand'

Lovely story, truly a great moment ClapClap

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:21am

'y'alright, son?'

'I'm grand'
Its great to hear stories like this.ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:50am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Keane V Germany in '02. 

I like the way you went local on that one.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:53am
Wasn't at these so had to do with the TV

Houghton v England
Whelans cracker v Russia
McLoughlin v The Nordies

For the games attended
O'Shea v Germany
Long v Germany
McAteer v Holland

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: de scientist
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:54am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Keane V Germany in '02. 

I like the way you went local on that one.

What ya should have said was you have never seen Deise happy at a match! 

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:07am
JOS last minute goal against the Germans in Gelsenkirchen, was also my 30th birthday so there was no better present

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:12am
Playing the Dutch has broken my heart but also given me the happiest times of my life....

Heartbreak Euro '88:
Paul McGrath's header against the post and Wim Kieft's spinning header.

Joy WC 1990:
Niall Quinn's equaliser when Van Breukelen made a mess.

Anfield The Kop 1995:
Probably the best Ireland atmosphere I've witnessed beaten 2-0 by Holland but some night Jackie Charlton waved us goodbye.

Lansdowne 2001 v Holland:
Was in the West Stand when McAteer scored and thought it was going to collapse.

Posted By: bannerboy95
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:13am
Brady v Italy enough said

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Playing the Dutch has broken my heart but also given me the happiest times of my life....

Heartbreak Euro '88:

Joy WC 1990:

Anfield The Kop 1995:
Probably the best Ireland atmosphere I've witnessed beaten 2-0 by Holland but some night Jackie Charlton waved us goodbye.

Also Oct 1980

1 0 down with about 10 mins to.go.in Lansdowne and coming back to.win 2 1 against a Dutch team that had played in the last two world cup finals.

Also the 1 0 win when Robbie scored in a friendly around 2003/4 in Amsterdam

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Heartbreak Euro '88:

Joy WC 1990:

Anfield The Kop 1995:

Also Oct 1980

1 0 down with about 10 mins to.go.in Lansdowne and coming back to.win 2 1 against a Dutch team that had played in the last two world cup finals.

Clap
Can I add Gary Waddock's goal against the Dutch at Dalymount mid 80's place went wild including lads on roof.

Posted By: bananarepublic
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:33am
When you think of it for a small football nation of 4 million or so we have a lot of really good memories on the intrnational stage...not just run of the mill stuff but legendary wins and performances.

'88 - Razor, Stuttgart beating England
'90 - Italia'90
'94 - Giants Stadium
'01 - The dutch game
'02 - Robbie v Kahn...going so close against Spain
'15 - Beating Germany
'16 - Brady in Lille

I am grateful that I was there for 50% of these in the flesh while engrossed to the TV in a pub or with friends and family for the other 50%

Picking one I would have to say beating England in '88 as the best.

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:54am

Heartbreak Euro '88:

Joy WC 1990:

Anfield The Kop 1995:

Also Oct 1980

Clap
Can I add Gary Waddock's goal against the Dutch at Dalymount mid 80's place went wild including lads on roof.

Memoirs yes and Brady made it 2 up only for the Dutch to.come back.and win 3 2

Dalymiunt definitely the best stadium for atmosphere in the good old days of.no.social.media and only.posh people had house phones lol

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: schillaci
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:36am

Heartbreak Euro '88:

Joy WC 1990:

Anfield The Kop 1995:

Also Oct 1980

Clap

Dalymiunt definitely the best stadium for atmosphere in the good old days of.no.social.media and only.posh people had house phones lol

I was at that game. I went by myself as a teenager. I didnt realise we lost until the next day, and even told a few people on the way home that we drew 2-2. I went for a piss and the Dutch scored and I never even knew itLOL

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Thankfully Ive a few to choose from but Im going to go for Robbie Keane in Paris and Robbie Brady in Lille. Paris was my first away game and I brought my da to it. The sing songs, the banter, the anticipation was just something else. When I close my eyes, despite the copious amounts of alcohol, I can still see that goal played out. Ended up 3 or 4 rows behind me somehow, in the arms of some young wan. Stuck the head on her in the celebrations and ran back down to find me da resulting in probably the tightest embrace ever!!

By the time Euro 16 came Id been living in Canada almost 4 years and visa trouble meant I couldnt travel back for it. Brady's goal was a bit more personal because we're both from Baldoyle and I've known him pretty much all my life. Knocked off work early for the Italy game and Im pretty sure I still had my head in my hands after Weso's miss and then it came. To see your mate score a goal of that magnitude for our country in a major championships was something else. Then seeing his brothers Cian, Darren, Redser and his girlfriend at the final whistle sent me into tears. A brilliant night that was

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: LHurlz
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:44am
In my lifetime it's definitely Brady vs Italy, followed by Long vs Germany 

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 12:10pm

A 21 year old Gullit scored twice and a 19 year old van Basten got the other !!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 1:44pm
The 3-2 win over the French in 1981 in my top 5......Stuttgart (88), Gelsenkirchen (14), LR (01), LR (81) and Genoa (90).

-------------

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 5:05pm
It's a toss up between 3 for me.
1. When they played the national anthem in poznan against Croatia at Euro 2012, hairs on the back of my neck never stood up like that before nor since.
2. Osheas equaliser in gelsenkirchen.
3. Longs goal against Germany in the aviva.

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 12:45am
Whelans volley v Russia

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: de scientist
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 2:12am
Shaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnneeeeee LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!

Has to be without the greatest for me. 

2 weeks beforehand I wasn’t going to the game. At the end of September here in Western Australia we have a public holiday, was in the Casino on the Sat night and was in and out of the bookies and the Mrs was giving me grief. So I did a 6 team accum and f**ked $100 on it. Said to her there and then on the spot if this wins I’m going to the Germany and Poland games. She laughs at me. So anyway bet comes in the Sunday night and win $1600. Went into work Monday morning and booked the trip came home from work f**ked it in front of her and said I’m flying out next wed!

Left Perth Wed night on 22.30 flight, got hammered on the flight to Dubai and arrived into Dublin at 11.30 Thursday morning. Dropped bag into hotel, went to see a mate in the Dail and he got me driven out to LD to pick up a freebie off the FAI. When Shane Long scored I went bananas jumped on the 2 fellas beside me who had to be D4 ****s and were barely clapping and I didn’t stop for about 5 minutes. We had a session and a half that night and was in ribbons getting the flight to Warsaw and having to sit beside big Paulie the whole way while continuously belting out the same tune for the 2 hour flight wasn’t the perfect cure! 

Left Warsaw on the Monday and arrived back in Perth on Tuesday night and back into work Wednesday. I was never so f**ked in all my life! 

Robbie Brady was a close second! Myself, Daithi, Gaz and Honey Monster went nuts at the end of it! Some scenes!  

Posted By: RKeane
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 2:39am
Best moment is SHANEEEE LONGGGG!! The way that ball flew threw the air into the net was like everything stopped for a second and then it was chaos & Wes' goal against Sweden + Brady against Italy were moments I'll never forget, tears were shed when Brady put that in.

Best feeling apart from those moments was when Messi nearly broke Boatengs ankle with a feint and then lobbed Neuer, I was in disbelief, goosebumps.

-------------
YESSSS! IT'S THERE

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 3:20am
I'm a little bit surprised that those 2 or 3 minutes at Croke Park v Italy aren't getting a mention. Now, we all know what happened afterwards but those couple of minutes were absolutely incredible. There has never been a game with over 65,000 Irish fans like that. That said, while those few minutes were incredible, the top five for me personally would be:

Shane Long against Germany, and the final whistle - I never thought I'd see the day when Ireland could beat the world champions, especially not a team who had demolished Brazil, in Brazil, in a world cup semi final, just over a year earlier. That's leaving aside the shellacking the Germans had delivered on their last trip to Lansdowne Road. It was made all the sweeter by having my dad there too, especially as he only goes to about half of the home games, and celebrating with him. No one expected it and to be honest I know before the match we were expecting a defeat. The belief at half time that there was something there to get out of the game, and the sort-of-good news that Scotland weren't winning, where a draw was good enough to get the playoff, meant there was something definite to play for, and a chance for it to happen.... but the celebrations were incredible, and the timing perfect. I'd celebrated madly before (in Gelsenkirchen and in Paris) but nothing like that. Even Robbie Brady in Lille wasn't as good as that. The long ball and the realisation that the Germans had fallen asleep for a second, a chink in their dominance exposed, as Long ran in, and the realisation that there wasn't going to be a better chance, coupled with the smashing finish, meant the place had to lift off, and the roar was incredible, and it felt like the team were truly at home in Lansdowne Road for the first time since redevelopment. While the goal came late enough, obviously there was still time, and the last twenty minutes were glorious tension, with the ecstatic relief at the final whistle almost as good as the goal itself. You can't beat beating the world champions.

Robbie Brady against Italy - It's a close second. While Euro 2016 was the first time I'd ever seen Ireland get out of a group stage at a major tournament, I'd still rank Shane Long's goal higher, especially because it was at home, and the joy of celebrating with 50,000 others. Italy were playing a second string and there was deflation when Hoolahan missed that chance, and I couldn't help but feel that while the team got through, it was more because Italy had nothing to play for than it was on absolute, uncontestable merit. It was incredible all the same, especially coming late, especially with what it meant, but it was a notch below Shane Long's goal for me personally, at least in terms of the celebrations. The hot, sticky night didn't help, and the fact everyone in the stadium, fans included, were suffering in the draining conditions, but the release of the goal made up for all that and then some.

John O'Shea against Germany - the pre-match montage of thanks from the German fans to the team for winning the world cup, through to the delerium of the 94th minute equaliser, in the world champions back yard, and the celebrations that followed, have this above qualifying for a tournament in my memories. While the performance was dogged and diligent rather than fantastically free flowing, there is something very hard to beat about injury time goals, when there is no time for the opposition to come back. I was hoarse from singing and basically out of energy completely come injury time, thinking there was no way I would be able to celebrate if we scored. Even when the ball came into the box, like everyone I thought the chance was dead until Hendrick cushioned the ball back into the middle from the back post for O'Shea to knock home. I didn't cop until after the match that it was actually O'Shea who had got the goal, and it was the usual deal of ending up a few rows in front with bruises on my shins, such were the celebrations. Adrenaline did the trick when the ball went in anyway, and despite the lack of food, sleep and energy, and the fact the drink taken had long since been sweated out, the celebrations were incredible.

Robbie Keane's first against Estonia - I had never before seen Ireland qualify for a major tournament, and barely remember the game v the North in 1993, let alone the Malta game in 1989. My only real memories of playoffs start with the Anfield game, then the well known games against Belgium, Turkey, Iran and France... so I only knew one success from five. While most of us were cautiously optimistic heading into that game in Tallinn, I think everyone thought Estonia weren't pushovers. I didn't get a ticket for the game from the FAI (I barely had any record of attending games at the time, and knew nothing about the opaque nature of FAI away ticket allocation, and just assumed there was a system which I didn't qualify under) but figured the best place to get tickets was outside the ground. So we headed out about two hours before hand, found a local supermarket, got a few cans for walking around (and to help in negotiations), and set about looking for touts selling tickets. We were losing hope and seriously considering heading back into town (even if it meant missing a decent part of the first half) until about five or ten minutes before kick off we met a lad selling tickets. He was originally looking €150 each for the tickets, and we were thinking closer to €150 for the pair. I think eventually he realised we didn't have that sort of money and, with kick off approaching, decided he would do no better, and sold us the pair. I can't remember the exact price but it was definitely under €200 total, maybe €90 each, along with our last few cans. Anyway, the seats turned out to be right behind the dug outs... I mean, right behind the Ireland dug out, so close that the players from the squad who didn't make the final 18 (there was none of this "full squad of 25" at the time) were sitting behind us, as we were in row two, so we had to stand to avoid having our view obscured by the dug out. When the first went in, we didn't really celebrate, and kept our jackets on, not knowing what to expect. By the time of the second, we figured it was clear enough and okay to show we were Irish fans (I think helped by our proximity to the dug out) and by the third, after celebrating, there was a moment when I think everyone just realised what it meant and knew, completely, that there was no way this was going to backfire now, and that qualification was secure. I'd never experienced that before, knowing without doubt, and it was incredible, even if it didn't have the same euphoric release goals like Long's, Brady's and O'Shea's brought. The same feeling of knowing it was done didn't arrive against Bosnia until, bizarrely enough, they hit the crossbar in injury time in Dublin, even if it looked pretty good after Walters' second, and while the celebrations there were great, they didn't reach the same level as the first time in Estonia. I don't know why; maybe it is because it was the first time we had qualified for anything in 12 years, maybe it was because I felt that qualifying for a 24 team tournament wasn't as good as qualifying for a 16 team one, or maybe it was just because it was the first time I had experienced that feeling at the end of a qualification slog. Whatever, that realisation in Tallinn was brilliant and one of the happiest moments I have from following the team. Robbie Brady's goal in Zenica was incredible (for what we saw of it) and the celebrations after Walters' second at home pretty good too, but neither of those are as good as the feeling I had after the third in Tallinn, when it was clear there was basically no way of missing out on qualification.

Robbie Keane against France - I'd have this one fifth. The team went into the game with close to zero expectation, after the deflation a few days earlier, and turned in one of the best performances I've ever seen the team put in. The goal was coming, the cutback and finish both superb, and two of the finest players I've ever seen in green combining for it. I am like many others here, when I say I ended up a few rows in front of where I started, with scrapes and bruises all over my legs from falling forwards over the crappy little Stade de France seats, after the celebrations. The abiding memory, though, is still "what if", from the great performance of Hugo Lloris, the missed chances of the same two players, and the unknowable of what would have happened in a shootout had that goal been rightly disallowed. The bitter sight of all those French flags at the final whistle still annoys me, knowing they'd barely deserved it. Obviously I didn't know it was a blatant handball at the time, but the impression at the time was clear, that Ireland were the better team, that the French crowd had spent more time getting on the team's back than cheering them on, and that the goal was dodgy. While the celebrations were manic, and the first like that I ever experienced following Ireland, I can't put it over the four above.

Honorable mentions to Brady's penalty against France, St Ledger's header against Italy, Steven Ireland's goal in Croker against Wales, McGeady's classy late late winner in Tbilisi and the final whistle of the nervy home win over Armenia to make the playoffs in 2011 in the first place.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 8:05am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Robbie Keane's first against Estonia - I had never before seen Ireland qualify for a major tournament, and barely remember the game v the North in 1993, let alone the Malta game in 1989.

The Northern Ireland game where we won 3-0 before Malta was unbelievable and we knew we were going to a World Cup finally.
South terrace was incredible only a schoolboy but what an atmosphere- remember watching highlights that evening and Jimmy Magee who commentated that day referred to the terrace in commentary 'What a sight that terrace is...' as Que Sera rang out. 

George Dunlop was in goal for the North and the poor chap died a death after Whelan's first.

Posted By: Dragon_Khan
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 8:36am
McAteeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 9:29am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

No one expected it and to be honest I know before the match we were expecting a defeat. 

I remember chinning about 3 pints in 10 minutes sitting staring into space when i saw the German midfield in the lineups, my brother was asking was i ok LOL

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 12:52pm
I would rank Brady's goal against Italy just above Shane Long! First time I have ever been in tears over a football match.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 1:00pm
For me:

1.Jason MaCateer -v- The Netherlands.
2.Robbie Keane v Germany
3.Robbie Brady -v- Italy.
4.Shane Long -v- Germany
5.Sean St Ledger -v- Croatia.

Mostly goals that came out of nowhere, in games which were not necessarily favourable towards us at kick off. Sledge's goal was a fantastic moment during a difficult time.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net