FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The happiest moment in Irish football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:01pm
Richard Dunne's homemade jersey against Russia away.
Sponsored Links

valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:41pm
Hard to rank them personally,

Brady v Italy Euro 2016, didnt know what to do with myself for 24hrs. Didnt even need a drink, was running off pure adrenaline. Ended up hopping a train to Lyon instead of my train home.

O'Shea v Germany, last kick of the game. Was getting ready to walk towards the exits. Jaysus I must have fell 20 rows forward celebrating. Cuts and bruises head to toe. Never experienced a last gasp goal like that one. Ended up on the beer for 5 nights afterwards in DusseldorfLOL

Brady v France Euro 2016, could barely breath when it went in. Tears were shed and 60mins we couldnt stop dreaming.

Keane v Germany WC 2002, no explanations.

Too many thankfullyClap
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
Can't choose between Long against Germany and Brady in Lille. Both absolute carnage in the stands, shed a tear at both. Brady's i probably went even more mental because with Long's it was nervousness mixed with cautious optimism that we might get a draw before the goal went in, with Brady's everyone was deflated because Wes had just missed "the chance" or so we thought a minute before
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:30pm
1/ The Genoa game 1990 and shoot out , nothing inn all these years has come close really .
2/ Shane Long Germany game Lansdowne , Just the sheer madness in 114 never seen anything like in in that section .
3/ Wales in Croke Park , I was in tears as soon as the anthems started as a life time been told it would never happen but it did .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:32pm
Gary mackay v bulgaria first time we ever qualified.not to forget both sheedy and quinns late equaliser s in Italia 90
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:29pm
Best moment being there was Long v Germany and Brady v Italy.

Not being there was the 2nd leg play off v Iran. Was in the Palace on Camden st and place was packed at something like 2 in the day. It was mental and amazing.
The dark side.. And the light
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm
Keane's goal in Bari, Brady's penalty against France, Brady's goal in Zenica, the final whistle in Estonia 2011, they'd all be up there for me, with most of the above.

Honourable mentions too for Slovakia 0-4 Armenia,  Georgia 1-0 Scotland, and when it was announced Roy Keane was returning to play for Ireland.

Edited by rolo - 04 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:57pm
one I'd also add having seeing it in live was John Aldridge celebrating in Couto's face after scoring the winner against Portugal. Alas, that would be our last good result under Charlton and he was gone by Christmas 

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:53pm
They all compare in their own way but as I remember them:

Quinn sliding in to score against Holland 1990

Packie's save Romania 1990

Quinn scoring in Wembley 1991

Alan McLoughlin hitting that peach of a volley in Windsor Park 1993

Rayyyy Houghton!! 1994

Anfield 95 speaks for itself

McAteer v Holland, ended up 2-3 rows forward in the east stand hugging some auld culchie

More recent: 

O'Shea in Gelsenkirchen since living in Germany and being in the German end made it all the sweeter

Shane Long for obvious reasons

Brady against Italy, doing the unthinkable with 5 minutes left

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Final whistle in Stuttgart.  84 minutes hanging on, our first game in a finals, against the ould enemy, the banishing of Johnny Atyeo ghost of 1957 and other ghosts that cheated us getting to finals until then.

Outpouring of relief, delight, ecstasy, pride and unbridled joy.  Will never be surpassed.

That fleeting moment between Razor scoring, looking at the linesman and seeing no flag raised. Time seemed to stand still...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
Final whistle in Stuttgart.  84 minutes hanging on, our first game in a finals, against the ould enemy, the banishing of Johnny Atyeo ghost of 1957 and other ghosts that cheated us getting to finals until then.

Outpouring of relief, delight, ecstasy, pride and unbridled joy.  Will never be surpassed.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:27pm
"We'll do them for you today lads...." no explanation needed and....

Sheasy's goal in Gelsenkirchen. I was very emotional after that goal, the goal coming in the same town that Vim Kieft broke our hearts 26 years earlier.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 04 Oct 2016 at 4:32pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
1. Robbie Brady's goal v Italy in Lille (a mix of euphoria and relief at the same time - brilliant enough on it's own but to be there as well, and at my 1st major tournament...Heart)

2. John O'Shea's equaliser in Gelsenkirchen (my 1st away match!) 

3. Ray Houghton's winner v Italy at WC94 - and the final whistle (in between was absolute torture LOL)

4. Penalty shoot-out v Romania at WC90

Obviously would also have mentioned Robbie Keane's goal v Germany in 2002 but bCensoredx of a boss wouldn't let me off work to watch the game. Angry Was able to have the radio commentary on in work but obviously NOWHERE near the same.Cry
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:56pm
When Trapatoni got sacked. At least their was hope for the future after years of sterile football.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:49pm
Stuttgart 1988.  First game in a major finals and a 1-0 win over England.  
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:48pm
Houghton in '94. That really cemented my love for the team. 

Was only 9  in 1990 and remember the penno's well, but Houghton was the first time I really grasped the emotion of it all. Great memories.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:47pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Either I'm having Deja Vu or there is a thread on this already
You said that the last time.

I may be thinking of the Robbie Keane favorite moment thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic