You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horse Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Just call the whole sport off for now
Is there really a need or any interest in racing at Southwell, Wexford or Carlisle for example during a global pandemic and crisis?

This would inevitably lead to people in the horse racing industry also losing their jobs.
If racing can be conducted whilst sticking within the government guidelines for this situation then why not keep it going? 
What about the amount of work riders as well as all the jockeys turning up at different facilities every morning in very large numbers at some of the top stables how long before this creates a victim, the usual pure greed on show with disregard to workers
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Is there really a need or any interest in racing at Southwell, Wexford or Carlisle for example during a global pandemic and crisis?

This would inevitably lead to people in the horse racing industry also losing their jobs.
If racing can be conducted whilst sticking within the government guidelines for this situation then why not keep it going? 
What about the amount of work riders as well as all the jockeys turning up at different facilities every morning in very large numbers at some of the top stables how long before this creates a victim, the usual pure greed on show with disregard to workers

Fair point.

I wonder if that's going to be limited, I'd imagine so (well at least I would hope so and they'd be compensated or allowed go on X's & O's or something)

Edited by Green Devil - 16 Mar 2020 at 11:02pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 11:04pm

Can they not work whilst still obeying guidelines about social distancing?
Have only been in a working yard a couple of times so am no authority on this, just assumed they would. 
Obviously if this can't be done then all activity should be stopped. 

Edited by Borussia - 16 Mar 2020 at 11:05pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 11:06pm
ah it just doesn’t feel right having racing on during all of this
Fair point on people’s jobs though, I suppose enough people are going to have job worried shortly anyway

I’d guess if a jockey tests positive it might lead to meetings being cancelled 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Fair point.

I wonder if that's going to be limited, I'd imagine so (well at least I would hope so and they'd be compensated or allowed go on X's & O's or something)
Im sure they would be compensated through the welfare set up for people losing out due to forced closure, not ideal I know, and people losing out on work will have a huge knock on effect when this is under control I don’t see half these people getting back to work in a hurry with the damage that will be done but that’s for a different day.
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 11:39pm
until they put a total ban on working then don’t see difference between going ahead with a race meeting behind closed doors vs. People still going into office or retail.

But that might change so if/when it does then racing should follow suit 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:21am
the bookies are the main reason it’s kept going as people can still bet online.

Edited by gufct - 17 Mar 2020 at 12:22am
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:28am

Powers and Boylesports closing all shops, ladbrokes go ahead as usual
Ladbrokes are cat. The paper is too thin, the pens never work, the chairs are not comfy and the telly's are not in HD.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:34am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Really? I thought the jockeys just wanted something to do of an afternoon.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:51am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Would you like a cup of tea Fr. Jessup?
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:52am
I think it probably should be called off as there is a hell of a lot of interaction throughout a day’s racing and I doubt much sanitation.

That said; I am seeing so much hypocrisy and contrasting advice I don’t know what to think at this stage. Dundrum town centre yesterday reasonably busy - naturally not as busy as a usual Sunday but not far off an average one - with plenty milling around the non grocer shops. No social distancing on show. At the same time, pubs were getting lambasted on social media - murderers. 

All the while, restaurants are still safe as of tonight to visit according to the Taoiseach. 

A lot of people seem to be experts already on ‘social distancing’ a term that most of us heard for the first time 5 days ago!!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:53am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Would you like a cup of tea Fr. Jessup?
No, I would rather die of thirst.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

A lot of people seem to be experts already on ‘social distancing’ a term that most of us heard for the first time 5 days ago!!
Before that it was just called FCUK OFF
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:35am

Of course it is - Because a portion of the money bet on racing goes back into the racing industry to support jobs etc. No racing = no jobs. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:54pm
Horse racing suspended to May in Great Britain after today

As I said, it just didn't feel right. You have a global pandemic, people getting prepared to not leave their homes for weeks and many thousand about to die, and they're racing around Wolverhampton and Wetherby.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 2:05pm

Horse racing suspended to May in Great Britain after today

As I said, it just didn't feel right. You have a global pandemic, people getting prepared to not leave their homes for weeks and many thousand about to die, and they're racing around Wolverhampton and Wetherby.
Wetherby a lovely little track

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 17 Mar 2020 at 2:05pm
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 2:22pm
some great small meetings in the uk,Stratford is a good day out and a trip to the roodye in Chester as well.helps that both towns are nice enough for a weekend visit too. Avoiding the paddywhack nonsense of Cheltenham or aintree is advisable!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 4:56pm
Racing is continuing behind closed doors for the foreseeable future Clap

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic