You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horse Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horse Racing
    Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 11:16am
I know there is a Cheltenham thread but I couldn't find a general horse racing one.

Bit of a shocker with O'Leary taking his horses away from Willie Mullins !
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 11:20am
Next seasons irish trainer championship betting after todays news

Elliott 8/11
Mullins Evens

Mightn't be the worst news for irish racing that today. Was a bit one sided the last few years. Might see a few good horses racing each other now rather than avoiding each other and being aimed at other races as they were both trained by Mullins

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 28 Sep 2016 at 11:22am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 11:28am
I would agree with that - Can't see all of them going to Gordon Elliott (though a lot will). Will definitely make things more competitive 
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 11:32am
Yeah owners alan & ann potts done the same with their horse move them from Henry de Bromhead yard to the Tizzards in England.

De Bromhead blow as Potts remove final horses

By Richard Forristal 7:45AM 1 SEP 2016 

THE multiple Grade 1-winning partnership between Henry de Bromhead and leading owners Alan and Ann Potts has come to an end following the removal of 13 horses from the Waterford trainer’s stable last week.

Sizing John, one of last season’s elite novice chasers, is now being trained by Jessica Harrington, who has also been sent the smart Supasundae. The mud-loving grey Smashing is among those to have joined Mouse Morris. Colm Murphy and Jim Dreaper are the other beneficiaries of the shock decision to completely dispense with De Bromhead’s services.

All four trainers were already on the Potts roster.

De Bromhead’s association with the Pottses yielded tremendous success at the highest level, spearheaded by the superlative feats of dual Cheltenham Festival hero Sizing Europe.

The 2011 Champion Chase winner was responsible for eight of the ten Grade 1 triumphs De Bromhead and the Pottses enjoyed together since landing the 2008 Irish Champion Hurdle field by eight lengths.

'It would be a blow to any stable'

“The horses left last week,” De Bromhead confirmed yesterday, although he would not be drawn on the reasons behind the departure of owners who were surpassed by only Gigginstown Stud, JP McManus and Rich Ricci in last season’s owners’ title championship.

De Bromhead added: “It would be a blow to any stable, but we wish them the best of luck. Alan and Ann have been great supporters over the years but things move on and we’ll drive on again now. We enjoyed a lot of success together, winning the Champion Chase with Sizing Europe, and winning our first Grade 1 together in the Irish Champion Hurdle was brilliant.”

Despite the loss of such classy operators as Sizing John, Smashing and Supasundae, De Bromhead, who still has more than 50 horses at his Knockeen stable on the outskirts of Waterford, was magnanimous about the development.

“We have a lot of nice horses to look forward to for the season ahead,” he added.

Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 11:38am
I'd say Potts is now kicking himself - Could have had his horses with Mullins had he known !
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:15pm
As someone who works in the horse racing industry I'm delighted with the news, definitely more scope now for smaller trainers to break the monopoly on a regular basis again. 

Willow Grange should win the last in Sligo, Danny Mullins lost his whip and held the horse up way too far back in Downpatrick 5 days ago, but stayed on like a train and finished 3rd. 

At 4/5 I wouldn't be throwing the mortgage on Willow Grange, as it's only a chase in Sligo but i'd be very surprised if it doesn't win. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:16pm
All over fees the Mullins are charging? Any idea what sort of % they were increasing fees? Do trainers just make money of fees or do they get a cut of winnings too?

Ironic that Michael O'Leary gets his knickers in a twist over fees!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

All over fees the Mullins are charging? Any idea what sort of % they were increasing fees? Do trainers just make money of fees or do they get a cut of winnings too?

Ironic that Michael O'Leary gets his knickers in a twist over fees!

Jockeys get around 9% (open to correction) I think Trainers get in an around the same, maybe slightly more.

Any big stable would be making a lot of money on training fee's too. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

captkeen View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:23pm

Seemingly Mullins wanted to charge him for the horses using the toilets, O`Leary lost it. Wouldn't`t be surprised if there's a bit more to this story.

Live Long and Prosper.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:49pm
Willie should have offered to throw in some scratch cards to seal the deal.

Wonder if this might encourage the likes of Colm Murphy to reconsider his decision to quit.

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:02pm
The 60 horses are going out to the 5 trainers Gigginstown already work with.Its a serious hit for Mullins yard.

athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 11:50pm
Can't imagine O ' Leary was good at letting Willie / Ruby get on with the decision making around the yard. O Leary has an opinion on everything and is very sure of himself. Mullins appears to have to humour Rich Ritchie as it is, and who wouldn't.

But it must have been testing at times
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:39am
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Can't imagine O ' Leary was good at letting Willie / Ruby get on with the decision making around the yard. O Leary has an opinion on everything and is very sure of himself. Mullins appears to have to humour Rich Ritchie as it is, and who wouldn't.

Rich basically said as much in an interview on ATR that he let's Ruby and Willie make the logical decision's because who is he to argue given their knowledge and experience. 

If Willie reckon's said horse should go for said race, Rich will nearly always go with Willie's decision, but like any partnership there will always be the few exceptions. 

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Rich basically said as much in an interview on ATR that he let's Ruby and Willie make the logical decision's because who is he to argue given their knowledge and experience. 

If Willie reckon's said horse should go for said race, Rich will nearly always go with Willie's decision, but like any partnership there will always be the few exceptions. 
Davy Russell given 3 day ban for the whip and got another 14 days for his behaviour in the stewards room! Any idea what he did?

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 30 Sep 2016 at 11:15am
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 11:25am
Will probably affect WPM in the short term but not the long term. Wouldnt surprise me if they have already filled the 60 stables. 
Also heard a while ago that Marwan Koucash was going to start getting involved with national hunt and send a string to mullins. Dont know if anything has developed on that though

This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 11:28am
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

Will probably affect WPM in the short term but not the long term. Wouldnt surprise me if they have already filled the 60 stables. 
Also heard a while ago that Marwan Koucash was going to start getting involved with national hunt and send a string to mullins. Dont know if anything has developed on that though

I had saw him comment on that at one stage but you could tell at that point that he wasn't that interested and was far more interested in the flat. 

Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:33pm
Won a pair of tickets to Dundalk tonight if anyone is interested? They're printable so can email them to whoever wants them. Knew I wasn't free this evening so not even sure why I entered the draw. First race off around 5.30 I think

Gone

Edited by Colum - 30 Sep 2016 at 2:02pm
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 2:35pm
No idea what Davy did in the stewards room but id say he went ballistic.
Not taking any rides today or over the weekend as is "unwell"

Doesnt seem a happy camper 

This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic