You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:30pm
I've not followed Will Keanes season as I would Scully or Parrott as I never thought him to be an ireland player despite declaring some while back.

Very recent numbers look OK, I know injury has plagued his career.

Hes 6'2 so might be good in the air but idah and parrott are not exactly short.

Still strange that one brother plays for England that originally opted to represent Ireland and the other brother plays for ireland and originally opted to represent England.

Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:32pm
He's 20 caps for England at underage - his twin brother plays for England, he made his bed.

I'd have preferred Scully or even Georgie Kelly as I would rather promote from our own league as opposed to journey men who are no longer good enough to play for their own country.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:35pm
Great to have a Keane in the number 10 again
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's 20 caps for England at underage - his twin brother plays for England, he made his bed.

I'd have preferred Scully or even Georgie Kelly as I would rather promote from our own league as opposed to journey men who are no longer good enough to play for their own country.

So did Callum Robinson - where you snapping when he was called up? if so, fair enough.
What his brother does is irrelevant. I would also have GK in the squad, probably instead of James Collins though. No issue calling up Keane myself, he could have something to offer & only one way to find out. Defo some potential there.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I've not followed Will Keanes season as I would Scully or Parrott as I never thought him to be an ireland player despite declaring some while back.

Very recent numbers look OK, I know injury has plagued his career.

Hes 6'2 so might be good in the air but idah and parrott are not exactly short.

Still strange that one brother plays for England that originally opted to represent Ireland and the other brother plays for ireland and originally opted to represent England.

I looked him up last week as somebody had suggested him as a possible. Decent numbers last season 10 goals, 5 assists in 33 games (2175 mins) = 1 goal involvement every 145 minutes. Similar figures again this season. Same ball park as Scully, but as others have pointed out, he's a very different type of player and Scully is probably competing with Connolly/Robinson rather than Keane.

Keane however is 28, 29 in January so it's a bit of a surprise for me given Kenny's previous indications that he was building for the future. However, Keane has been performing well for a prolonged period, albeit at League One level, so on form alone, he was always in with a shout. I assume Kenny is maybe looking to him as a type of 10 (a position we have struggled with), linking midfield and attack. I wonder will we revert to 4 at the back given the amount of forward players selected. Its hard to see Kenny creating a rod for his own back by selecting Keane if he doesn't intend playing him.
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

So did Callum Robinson - where you snapping when he was called up? if so, fair enough.
What his brother does is irrelevant. I would also have GK in the squad, probably instead of James Collins though. No issue calling up Keane myself, he could have something to offer & only one way to find out. Defo some potential there.

I think Scully played underage for England too? Anyway, if we're giving out about Keane coming in, it shouldn't be at the expense of Scully imo. Keane is a completely different player to Scully. Scully should be in instead of Horgan any day of the week as they are both similar players. Keane offers an aerial threat that we dont have. Wouldn't have called himself but not that bothered by it at the same time.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:16pm
a bit left field alright. He obviously something in him.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:22pm
I honestly don't mean to be disingenuous with this opinion, but there is a real 'Northern Ireland'  feel off this call up. Its one thing to be capping irish born lads who've either worked their way up from LOI level to League 1,(or those who played at the top and have come the other way), or a young fella with potential ...But a lad who's pushing 30 , playing at this level, and having played scores of times underage for England, it's really a slap in the face as to how far we've regressed.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:36pm

I'd prefer Georgie Burgess over Will Keane.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I honestly don't mean to be disingenuous with this opinion, but there is a real 'Northern Ireland'  feel off this call up. Its one thing to be capping irish born lads who've either worked their way up from LOI level to League 1,(or those who played at the top and have come the other way), or a young fella with potential ...But a lad who's pushing 30 , playing at this level, and having played scores of times underage for England, it's really a slap in the face as to how far we've regressed.

Tbf, Northern Ireland have been outperforming us for quite a few years now - I think its quite clear that we have been regressing significantly and it started long before Kenny took the reins. I'm personally not sure the selection of Will Keane is going to arrest that slide or increase Kenny's popularity or lack thereof, but it's certainly a bold move on his part. Kenny knows he needs results now, so I'm assuming he sees something in him.
Idah Dream!
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Kenny & the coaching team clearly like him judging by what he said in the press conference. Has some different attributes to the rest of our forwards - so what's the harm on seeing what he has to offer against Qatar. He is 28 so at least two campaigns in him if needed. Again, the fact he has played underage for England shouldn't be an issue as it wasn't when Callum Robinson was called up.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:45pm
Unless he delivers a performance similar to Caleb Folan in Bari, then it's a very underwhelming inclusion.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 4:12pm
Joke for an inclusion. A so called forward-thinking, progressive manager opting for a journeyman injury prone 28yr old over Obafemi and Scully. Wow. 
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Joke for an inclusion. A so called forward-thinking, progressive manager opting for a journeyman injury prone 28yr old over Obafemi and Scully. Wow. 

He's a completely different player - wasn't called up ahead of them. Wow.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

He's a completely different player - wasn't called up ahead of them. Wow.

Why so many mentions of "different player" than Scully different from Horgan. 

Ffs you can swap Scully for Will Keane even though ther are different types of forward player. Players play in a variety of different positions and roles.

Neither Scully or Keane have ever been selected for the senior team before. Neither brings something uniquely special to the team.
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 5:22pm
If Will Keane can have a similar kind of impact that Daryl Murphy had in the final part of his career for us i think it will be an astute call up
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by eddiebro eddiebro wrote:

If Will Keane can have a similar kind of impact that Daryl Murphy had in the final part of his career for us i think it will be an astute call up

There’s not much to suggest that he will 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:26pm
Bit of a ridiculous call up so he will probably score the winner in Azerbaijan now.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
  Share Topic