Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54483
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 5:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Will Keane
Posted By: Green Devil
Subject: Will Keane
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 9:31pm
Ex United youngster, now 23 and came off the bench today to make his Hull City debut who drew 1-1 with Burnley. 

In today rag's he said he would be interested in linking up with Ireland (he never played for us underage unlike his brother Michael) 

Hopefully he can reach his undoubted potential, seems to be a nice well grounded lad too.

A couple of goals to ignite his Premiership career could see him get a chance with Ireland perhaps.

It can only be positive with the emergence of Scott Hogan and now possibly Will Keane to give our manager some added attacking options. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Replies:
Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 9:38pm
Thanks but no thanks, same goes for Hogan.

2 plastic bowins that only now want a look in after their England chances have begun to fade. To even quote Hogan its something he would have to consider if called upon.

Neither had absolutely any desire to represent us before us and neither seem too pushed now, only for their carers sake.

Dont want that around our squad.

Id have Mason, Pilkington, Rooney, Madden etc in before them.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

2 plastic bowins that only now want a look in after their England chances have begun to fade. To even quote Hogan its something he would have to consider if called upon.

Neither had absolutely any desire to represent us before us and neither seem too pushed now, only for their carers sake.

You ever see Kieran Westwoods quote about playing for Ireland LOL  

He was playing League 1 in 2014, I don't think he was ever in a position to play for England even underage tbf.

Also, Keane only ever represented England, same way Ciaran Clark did. 

Clark accepted Ireland when called upon as a PL regular, Keane could very well be in the same position.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 10:49pm
If he can get any sort of regular football under his belt for Hull he deserves a look, Hogan and Mason would be ahead of him in the queue at present however imo.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

He was playing League 1 in 2014, I don't think he was ever in a position to play for England even underage tbf.

Clark accepted Ireland when called upon as a PL regular, Keane could very well be in the same position.

Was surprised, but delighted, to see Westwood belting out Amhran ba bhfiann at the Oman game. I'd welcome Hogan and Keane with open arms!

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Was surprised, but delighted, to see Westwood belting out Amhran ba bhfiann at the Oman game. I'd welcome Hogan and Keane with open arms!

Yeah +1. Fair play to him. Did the same from the bench v Serbia. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 3:52pm

Easy on the plastic thing.
Its insulting to a lot of poeple on here

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 11:02pm
Now would be a good time to call this boy up.  I imagine he has an Irish passport - but fifa clearance would probably take more time.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:40pm
With Long possibly doubtful for Vienna, I hope Martin gets on to this boy (in between visits to Brentford).  

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

With Long possibly doubtful for Vienna, I hope Martin gets on to this boy (in between visits to Brentford).  

Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:44pm
You know things are bad when people want Will Keane near the squad

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Why that face?

We need players who can deliver us to major tournaments. Will Keane fits the profile although he would be behind the pecking order with Hogan top by a few miles. I hope MON takes up camp in Brentford for the next few weeks until Scott gets on an aircraft to Dublin. He has an Irish passport, call em up.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:51pm
What exactly is Shane's injury ?

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 12:34am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Why that face?

We need players who can deliver us to major tournaments. Will Keane fits the profile although he would be behind the pecking order with Hogan top by a few miles. I hope MON takes up camp in Brentford for the next few weeks until Scott gets on an aircraft to Dublin. He has an Irish passport, call em up.

Will Keane hasn't scored a goal in 2016, he has scored a handful of goals for senior sides at the age of 23 and you two clowns want him called up for the Austria game?

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 12:52am
Daryl Murphy has 3 goals in 2016 at club level.

Jon Walters has 4 goals in 2016 at club level.

Adam Rooney plays in the SPL a league that Irish people don't rate, Kevin Doyle in the MLS but at 33 is he the answer? 

If Shane Long happens to have a grade 2 or grade 3 hamstring tear he'll miss the Austria game.

Now I'm not advocating that O'Neill goes and calls up Will Keane for the Austrian game, but in the future we can certainly never rule someone like him out. 

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:08am
I hear you GD but you know fine aswell as much as I do that MoN doesnt pick his players based on goals scored, he picks them based on physical attributes to hold the ball up.
People (not you GD) are still forgetting this is the same man who picked Emile Heskey over Zlatan in his prime, he's so stuck to his guns.

Will Keane at 6'2 definitely fits the criteria 

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:11am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I hear you GD but you know fine aswell as much as I do that MoN doesnt pick his players based on goals scored, he picks them based on physical attributes to hold the ball up.
People (not you GD) are still forgetting this is the same man who picked Emile Heskey over Zlatan in his prime, he's so stuck to his guns.

If we had a friendly coming up any time soon, I wouldn't be against calling him up.

It's actually getting scary how limited we are up front.

At this stage I would advise Martin to call up Hogan (if he's interested) , Mason, Keane and give Rooney a chance.

We've nothing to lose (when we've a friendly)

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:13am

If we had a friendly coming up any time soon, I wouldn't be against calling him up.

It's actually getting scary how limited we are up front.

At this stage I would advise Martin to call up Hogan (if he's interested) , Mason, Keane and give Rooney a chance.

We've nothing to lose (when we've a friendly)
Have we ever been as blunt up top as we are now mate?

Also, David McGoldrick is back in training at Ipswich so he could be another option after the Austria game

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:13am
Few fellas ahead of Keane in the line certainly, but he's worth sounding out.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:14am
Totally agree with ya. Before I made the post I checked on every Striker who's Irish eligible in League 1/2 who would fit his criteria.. And they're injured too! 

Mason, Sean Maguire, Keane and Hogan. Aye it's not pretty but give em a chance see what they can possibly bring.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 7:30am
I think Pilkington is fit again as is McGoldrick. Not a fan of Stokes nor have I really followed his progress this season but MON may have no choice but to consider him.

Personally, I'd call up Cillian Sheridan to the extended squad to have a look. 5 goals in his last 5 games in a league no worse than Scotland.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 8:58am
will keane is muck, never done it anywhere. id rather lads like david mcmillan be given a chance tbh

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

will keane is muck, never done it anywhere. id rather lads like david mcmillan be given a chance tbh

exactly what is this bullsh1t about Will keane. FFS hes never done a thing. why is he even been mentioned.

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 9:35am
If he accepts the call up first time then welcome aboard.

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: Conor The Samson
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 11:13am
could do worse than one or two of them dundalk lads in the squad, mcmillan, horgan very impressive against quality opposition in Zenit, grant it they re playing way too many games at the minute

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 11:52am
When you have a player that's available to play for us that is operating in the Premiership, given our limited playing pool of players it would be utter stupidity to ignore him.

Like it or not, Will Keane is playing in one of the top leagues in the world. 

McMillan, Madden, Sheridan etc are not. 

-------------

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

exactly what is this bullsh1t about Will keane. FFS hes never done a thing. why is he even been mentioned.
+1
Plenty of other players in the Championship ahead of him.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 12:05pm
a 23 year old striker who has the grand total of 4 goals in his club career

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:06pm
Cillian Sheridan and Joe Mason for me , plus Pilkington is class up front, a different kind of striker more like a bit like  a  Totti version

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

Cillian Sheridan and Joe Mason for me , plus Pilkington is class up front, a different kind of striker more like a bit like  a  Totti version

LOLLOLLOL  You have outdone yourself this time JAVIER

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

LOLLOLLOL  You have outdone yourself this time JAVIER

Pilko can do a job there,...if injury free so  i am not out of mark...mate

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 6:36pm

Pilko can do a job there,...if injury free so  i am not out of mark...mate

Call me Nostradamus, but I forsee a slight problem here................

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

+1

Who?

Mason has more or less said he's not sure about playing international football now.

McGoldrick has only scored 4 or 5 goals for his club since before the summer of 2015.

Simon Cox is now playing in League 1, Stokes has under 10 goals since before the summer of 2015.

Yeah we've fantastic options and should turn our noses up about players who play in the Premiership Dead

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:49am
To be fair to Will Keane he will probably be playing in League one within 18 months

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: ontheball
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:51am
I used to follow their progress(Will and Michael)five or six years ago presuming they were automatic Irish players with their father from Dublin, I never thought they would think of ever playing for England.  Michael played underage for Ireland and then switched to England.  I presume they are now fully committed English players with no inkling of ever playing for Ireland.  

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by ontheball ontheball wrote:

I used to follow their progress(Will and Michael)five or six years ago presuming they were automatic Irish players with their father from Dublin, I never thought they would think of ever playing for England.  Michael played underage for Ireland and then switched to England.  I presume they are now fully committed English players with no inkling of ever playing for Ireland.  

Did you not read the thread?

Will came out recently and said he would be interested in playing for Ireland if management approached him.....

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:39pm
Dont think we can turn our noses up at him. If he is willing to play then we should definitely try and secure him and have a look at him

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:40pm
He needs game time for Hull City, if he gets some. Call him up, simple. 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

+1

As GD said. Who?

Hogan is literally the only one, the rest are garbage as GD explained.

Beggars can't be choosers springs to mind when it comes to Strikers.

Posted By: ontheball
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 1:05pm

Will came out recently and said he would be interested in playing for Ireland if management approached him.....

Apologies GD, hadn't realised that he had expressed an interest, I had just looked at the few latest posts without reading your introductory post. That's an interesting development.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 1:58pm

What's stopping him picking up the phone to O'Neill or Keane to express his interest and discuss it?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 2:58pm
Starts again today as lone striker against Stoke. 

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:10pm
Apparently he's working extremely hard just not getting the passes required.

Tis probably time to call em up, along with Hogan.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:12pm
I'd call him up anyway. Sure what's the harm? If he is not good enough then don't call him again. We can't start getting too picky.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

I'd call him up anyway. Sure what's the harm? If he is not good enough then don't call him again. We can't start getting too picky.

I'd agree, playing in the PL obviously showing enough form in training to start over Abel Hernandez who is a proven goalscorer. 

I'd call him up ASAP if in time for Austria better yet, Hogan has to be our prime target he's had a few attempts saved today thus far, James Maddison also in there but he'd be one for the future.

He's starting in the PL, thats not being picky.. simply taking a chance! 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:19pm
It's Hull he's playing for at the end of the day.

They were relegated before the season even began, they got some freak results at the start but it didn't take long for the bubble to burst so if people expected world class performances from Keane, you're asking a bit much.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:24pm
He really is an awful footballer I'm afraid

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm

It's Hull he's playing for at the end of the day.

Which is a far better level than getting players called up from Aberdeen or Colorado or wherever. If he is rubbish he is rubbish but at least call him up and let us see...

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:50pm
Will Keane was worse than useless with QPR on loan.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 5:59pm
cillian sheridan   or jack mcinerney

Posted By: LHurlz
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 7:20pm

please stop

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 8:07pm

LOLLOL Embarrassed

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:01am
No Keanes on the Irish side unless there first names are Roy and Robbie 

Sons/Nephews/Grandsons/Grannephews etc of either of these 2 will be welcome with open arms lol

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:44am
Praised by some sections of the Hull City fans, just read their forum.

He was a lone striker, got f**k all to work with but put himself about, looked sharp and held up the ball well when he got it.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 11:14am
Thought he did ok in the highlights anyway. He really doesn't look like a professional footballer at all though, very slight.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Rustybedsprings
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:16pm
Off with a bad injury today apparently.

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:02pm
never been so hot on the idea of him declaring for us as he has a pretty poor goalscoring record but at any rate looks like he is out for a lengthy period of time probably rest of the season

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:56pm
Guess we'll never find out if he was good enough.

Ruled out for 12 months

Posted By: Bibi Baskin
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:20pm

Ex United youngster, now 23 and came off the bench today to make his Hull City debut who drew 1-1 with Burnley. 

In today rag's he said he would be interested in linking up with Ireland (he never played for us underage unlike his brother Michael) 

Hopefully he can reach his undoubted potential, seems to be a nice well grounded lad too.

A couple of goals to ignite his Premiership career could see him get a chance with Ireland perhaps.

It can only be positive with the emergence of Scott Hogan and now possibly Will Keane to give our manager some added attacking options. 

2016, so he already said it last year, thats already something IMO.   So not exactly a 'world cup  bandwagoner'

Posted By: Bibi Baskin
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:22pm
This also from 2016:  https://www.balls.ie/football/will-keanes-ludicrous-goal-for-man-united-means-its-about-time-he-declares-for-ireland-323973" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/will-keanes-ludicrous-goal-for-man-united-means-its-about-time-he-declares-for-ireland-323973

Posted By: schillaci
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:12pm
Report on RTE website saying he wants to be considered for Ireland. Had forgotten about this guy. Is this breaking news or am I months behind ? Stuck in Australia, I'm a bit out of the loop  LOL

Roy Keane has welcomed the news that Hull City striker Will Keane wants to be considered for Ireland international selection. The Ireland assistant manager was reacting to the former Manchester United striker’s statement of intent to declare for Ireland. The 24-year-old frontman has previously represented England at under-21 level but is eligible to play for Ireland as his father was born in Dublin. 

His twin brother, centre-back Michael, has earned two full England caps and joined Everton for £30m this summer. Will Keane has only recently returned to club football with Hull following a near year-long spell on the sidelines with a knee injury and once he’s back playing regularly with his club, he’s hoping to force his way into Martin O’Neill’s thoughts.

"Because we’ve got such a small pool of players, we’re always delighted when players want to come and play for Ireland."

Speaking to the Times, the Manchester born player said: "(Ireland) have some good strikers, but I was on their radar before the injury. I am an outside bet but if I can get back scoring goals I would like to think I have a chance.

"It’s every player's dream to play in the World Cup. Ireland are doing well in their group so they might make it. If I ended up playing in a World Cup, all this hard work would be worthwhile."

Keane’s namesake Roy welcomed the young player’s declaration and claimed that both he and Aston Villa’s Scott Hogan would both be considered for selection in the future.

"Because we’ve got such a small pool of players, we’re always delighted when players want to come and play for Ireland and obviously they’re two very good players," the Ireland assistant boss said. They’re at different places in their careers. The young boy Keane is coming back from a bad injury and you know the manager has met up with Scott Hogan so we’re obviously pleased. We’ve got some good players but we’re always looking to have competition for places and we’re delighted that these lads are keen and positive to come and play for Ireland."

O’Neill revealed last week that Hogan was ready to commit his international career to the Irish cause.

The 24-year-old frontman also qualifies to play for Ireland through his father's family and is understood to have applied for an Irish passport.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 6:23pm
Will Keane is a very welcome addition. 

Not long ago, he was the great white hope from the English under-age set-up, while his brother "toiled" away for Ireland.  Clearly they both have very strong Irish links, but have an understandable affinity with the country they were born in.  At Utd, Keane was banging them in for Utd youth teams and reserves, and I think may even have a few senior appearances for Utd.

He's had an unholy run of injuries.   That has been recognised by a series of PL and Championship managers who have taken him on loan.  Unfortunately injury robbed him of the chance to perform.

If he can get over these and get a run of games, he has all the potential to be a fantastic player. A big if, but we're not over-flowing with good young strikers. 

All good news.  From a situation where all our strikers were the wrong side of 30, we now have Hogan, Keane and Maguire knocking on the door.  A bit like Dublin buses....  

Bamford may see the light too with a bit of luck.  Another player with potential. He fulfilled some of that two seasons ago winning Championship POTY.  Would be great if he came back.

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:08pm
I certainly wouldn't write off Keane at all as there is potential there but I would not be wetting myself about him until he show's some form.

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:54am
Has he kicked a ball this season for Hull?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:37pm
he had knee ligament damage around this time last yr and was supposed to be out for around a year

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:58pm
Will keane be the first u21 English international to swich over to us ?

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Was Ciaran Clark not a England U21 international?

Like how you phrased the question

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:29pm
Clark was U-20, not U-21

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

interesting question, I cannot think of one

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:32pm
Is there talk he will switch? Where do people get these stories?

Posted By: keith3307
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Is there talk he will switch? Where do people get these stories?
Yes hes said twice himself he wants to play for us. Mon and Keane even responded to it.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 6:22pm
Onto his 7th club now, and has 5 goals in his career. 
For a 25 year old forward to have more clubs than career goals is embarrassing 

Do people on here still want him capped?

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 6:25pm
How many actually wanted him capped? Not many I'd say.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 7:34pm
100% NO

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 7:40pm
Not unless he turns out to be a late bloomer like Daryl Murphy. DM's earlier stats have to be better than these though. That is a shocking stat.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 7:42pm
In fairness, he suffered a serious injury in 2016, which has impacted his last two years.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fairness, he suffered a serious injury in 2016, which has impacted his last two years.

Still v poor though. In his defence Ipswich must see something in him.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Onto his 7th club now, and has 5 goals in his career. 
For a 25 year old forward to have more clubs than career goals is embarrassing 

Do people on here still want him capped?
Capped, it would be a terrible waste of a bullet really

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 9:37pm
I went out with his sister. She was Well Keane.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 9:45pm
5 career goals? He’ll fit right in with us up front 

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I went out with his sister. She was Well Keane.

Scored more often too..

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 3:50pm
Keane might be one worth keeping an eye on.

Has scored his 4th goal of the season today.

Scored 10 in 32 last year.

Never had a decent run of games in any side before last year due to injuries.

Could be a late bloomer.

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 3:56pm
Aaron Drinan has 4 in 7 since joining Leyton Orient after impressing in his limited game time for Ipswich last season. He's been compared to Daryl Murphy in the past. Still only 23 years old.

In terms of players not getting called up, I'd say he'd be more worthy along with Anthony Scully, Sean Maguire and Scott Hogan.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:27pm
Will would have been capped by now if Mick was still in charge, he encouraged him to opt for Ireland. I doubt if Kenny will bring him in, maybe the next manager will. Wigan looking like promotion contenders this season after strengthening the squad with astute signings, including James McClean.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:35pm
I doubt he is the answer to our problems. Next

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:51pm
Nearly 29 years of age and 30 caps for England at underage - no thanks.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Keane might be one worth keeping an eye on.

Has scored his 4th goal of the season today.

Scored 10 in 32 last year.

Never had a decent run of games in any side before last year due to injuries.

Could be a late bloomer.

Called it!

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:02pm
Shameful inclusion.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Shameful inclusion.

LOL

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:03pm
Very harsh HB.

In fairness it's not like Will Keane has acted the bollocks with a "Will I, won't I" play for Ireland. He made his interest clear a couple of years back and seems to be in decent scoring form.

As as long as he's committed and I highly doubt Kenny would call him up otherwise, then I would cut him and Kenny a bit of slack tbh.

I'm disappointed Scully didn't get called up but you never know, Keane could be an unlikely fans favourite if he scores in Baku or Luxembourg. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:30pm
I've not followed Will Keanes season as I would Scully or Parrott as I never thought him to be an ireland player despite declaring some while back.

Very recent numbers look OK, I know injury has plagued his career.

Hes 6'2 so might be good in the air but idah and parrott are not exactly short.

Still strange that one brother plays for England that originally opted to represent Ireland and the other brother plays for ireland and originally opted to represent England.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:32pm
He's 20 caps for England at underage - his twin brother plays for England, he made his bed.

I'd have preferred Scully or even Georgie Kelly as I would rather promote from our own league as opposed to journey men who are no longer good enough to play for their own country.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:35pm
Great to have a Keane in the number 10 again

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:37pm

He's 20 caps for England at underage - his twin brother plays for England, he made his bed.

I'd have preferred Scully or even Georgie Kelly as I would rather promote from our own league as opposed to journey men who are no longer good enough to play for their own country.

So did Callum Robinson - where you snapping when he was called up? if so, fair enough.
What his brother does is irrelevant. I would also have GK in the squad, probably instead of James Collins though. No issue calling up Keane myself, he could have something to offer & only one way to find out. Defo some potential there.

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I've not followed Will Keanes season as I would Scully or Parrott as I never thought him to be an ireland player despite declaring some while back.

Very recent numbers look OK, I know injury has plagued his career.

Hes 6'2 so might be good in the air but idah and parrott are not exactly short.

Still strange that one brother plays for England that originally opted to represent Ireland and the other brother plays for ireland and originally opted to represent England.

I looked him up last week as somebody had suggested him as a possible. Decent numbers last season 10 goals, 5 assists in 33 games (2175 mins) = 1 goal involvement every 145 minutes. Similar figures again this season. Same ball park as Scully, but as others have pointed out, he's a very different type of player and Scully is probably competing with Connolly/Robinson rather than Keane.

Keane however is 28, 29 in January so it's a bit of a surprise for me given Kenny's previous indications that he was building for the future. However, Keane has been performing well for a prolonged period, albeit at League One level, so on form alone, he was always in with a shout. I assume Kenny is maybe looking to him as a type of 10 (a position we have struggled with), linking midfield and attack. I wonder will we revert to 4 at the back given the amount of forward players selected. Its hard to see Kenny creating a rod for his own back by selecting Keane if he doesn't intend playing him.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

So did Callum Robinson - where you snapping when he was called up? if so, fair enough.
What his brother does is irrelevant. I would also have GK in the squad, probably instead of James Collins though. No issue calling up Keane myself, he could have something to offer & only one way to find out. Defo some potential there.

I think Scully played underage for England too? Anyway, if we're giving out about Keane coming in, it shouldn't be at the expense of Scully imo. Keane is a completely different player to Scully. Scully should be in instead of Horgan any day of the week as they are both similar players. Keane offers an aerial threat that we dont have. Wouldn't have called himself but not that bothered by it at the same time.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:16pm
a bit left field alright. He obviously something in him.

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:22pm
I honestly don't mean to be disingenuous with this opinion, but there is a real 'Northern Ireland'  feel off this call up. Its one thing to be capping irish born lads who've either worked their way up from LOI level to League 1,(or those who played at the top and have come the other way), or a young fella with potential ...But a lad who's pushing 30 , playing at this level, and having played scores of times underage for England, it's really a slap in the face as to how far we've regressed.

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:36pm

I'd prefer Georgie Burgess over Will Keane.

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I honestly don't mean to be disingenuous with this opinion, but there is a real 'Northern Ireland'  feel off this call up. Its one thing to be capping irish born lads who've either worked their way up from LOI level to League 1,(or those who played at the top and have come the other way), or a young fella with potential ...But a lad who's pushing 30 , playing at this level, and having played scores of times underage for England, it's really a slap in the face as to how far we've regressed.

Tbf, Northern Ireland have been outperforming us for quite a few years now - I think its quite clear that we have been regressing significantly and it started long before Kenny took the reins. I'm personally not sure the selection of Will Keane is going to arrest that slide or increase Kenny's popularity or lack thereof, but it's certainly a bold move on his part. Kenny knows he needs results now, so I'm assuming he sees something in him.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net