You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 307>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:02pm
I don't give a flying shyte where somebody comes from or what ethnicity they have, they virtually need to be prepared to die while playing for the green shirt or else they shouldn't be wearing it!
Sponsored Links

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:05pm
When can we expect his “decision”?
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:06pm
I’m finding this even more disgusting that the Grealish saga.. hard to believe Rice has stooped even lower that Grealish.. it’s an absolute joke and so underhanded it’s hard to believe 
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:22pm
listening to kilbane on newstalk. Says rice changed agent over the summer.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

listening to kilbane on newstalk. Says rice changed agent over the summer.

Killer hopping mad over the fact that Rice has three senior caps for Ireland.

He does have a point. This is nearly unprecedented.....he was playing senior football for us against France 12 weeks ago and now he's talking about jumping ship. It's not as if he drifted out of the squad or something and a year or two passed. This is a current senior international who played for us a few weeks ago in our most recent game.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:55pm
the point though, new agent since the summer. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 7:59pm

Craig Snakespeare?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:00pm
i dont know who his agent is. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Craig Snakespeare?
It’s his sister.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Craig Snakespeare?
It’s his sister.

Siobhan Fahey? Another turncoat
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:13pm
FAO Tribesman and anybody else inclined....fuk off with the shyte puns. Deleting them from earlier posts and any further posts will see a few days holidays.
mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:24pm
Time to move this thread to the rest of world section I think Unhappy
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

I’m finding this even more disgusting that the Grealish saga.. hard to believe Rice has stooped even lower that Grealish.. it’s an absolute joke and so underhanded it’s hard to believe 

Did you register just to come on and post that?! He is still a kid. He is also in a very difficult position. It's one that is very hard to appreciate from the outside. He was born and brought up in England. He has received most of his football education in England. However, he knows he has Irish heritage and has played underage for Ireland for years. That said, it's his grandparents who are Irish, not his parents. That is definitely relevant. It clearly has to have some impact on how he feels as to his nationality. I know his father was obviously proud but every father will be proud of their son playing international football. Rice may have played for Ireland underage because England didn't want him. He might have played for them because of parental influence. It's possible that he accepted the call ups from Ireland as a kid without really thinking about his national identity. It's a very real possibility that he has never truly considered his national identity and now wants to consider it properly. Maybe he considers himself more English than Irish and is now afraid of the long term consequences of nailing his colours to the mast.

Plus, you'd imagine he has grown up supporting England as well as Ireland. You'd imagine he looked on this summer and saw England reaching the semi finals and thinking he could be part of something like that. There's no doubt that England have realistic chances of winning international tournaments. Frankly, as a kid, who didn't run through the park and dream that the goals they were scoring were in the World Cup final? It's hard to overstate the impact something like England's performance in the World Cup could have had.

I don't necessarily buy into this being an anti-O'Neill decision. Rice may look at the football in Ireland and not like it. However, there are multiple reasons for it. Rice might look and think that it is simply a matter of resources. Ireland do not have the same population as England. They don't have the same calibre of player coming through. Certainly, they don't have as many. Rice may be one of them but there's no shame in not wanting to be a big fish in a small pond. There's certainly an argument that if he chose Ireland, it would belie a lack of ambition.

This is all leaving aside the potential for extra money over the course of his career. It is not really disputed that it is financially better to play for England. It's not even about transfer fees or wages. It goes way, way further than that. Any long running England international can make money off that fact even long after they've retired. Gareth Southgate made money off his missed penalty, and he's far from the only one who made money from international failure. It is simply a higher profile position in a bigger country. Gary Linekar, too, is a lot more famous because of his international exploits and parlayed that into a successful media career.

There are a load of reasons for Rice to consider that playing for England might be the right choice for him. It might be the right choice for him because he sees himself as genuinely more English than Irish. It might be the right choice for him because he wants the best chance at international success. It might be the right choice for him short and long term financial reasons.

I think each of those considerations are valid for a player in his position. The fact is, once he makes the decision now, he is stuck with it. If he chooses England, he's stuck with England. If he plays in a competitive game for Ireland, he's stuck with Ireland. The moment of reckoning has arrived. He's still only nineteen years of age. I don't envy his decision and I certainly won't criticise him for delaying it for a few months. I hope we see him in an Ireland shirt for the Euro 2020 qualifiers. If we don't, however, it will be disappointing - but I won't castigate him for deciding to play for England. It's a truly difficult decision. Without being in his position, I think it is difficult to appreciate everything he has to consider.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:41pm
What's the difference between Rice switching to England having played for us and say Paul Smyth switching to us having played for the North at senior level .....(I'm pretty sure most were advocating that idea) and still are

Micheal Duffy is another, he has his own thread on switching allegiance.....swings and roundabouts

Tho I get with Rice it is particularly galling given the stuff he said in the past and singing the Anthem just a couple months ago, suppose he could still do that even if he switched

Edited by gazurtoids - 27 Aug 2018 at 8:47pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

What's the difference between Rice switching to England having played for us and say Paul Smyth switching to us having played for the North at senior level .....(I'm pretty sure most were advocating that idea) and still are

Probably that our MON hasn't tried to tap Smyth up since the pretend country across the boarder capped him at senior level 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:46pm

Paul Smyth is an Irish man playing for some made up bigoted little kip who shouldn’t even have a national football team. 

They don’t compete as an independent nation in many other sports apart from the commonwealth games. 

Worlds of difference.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:47pm
SuperDave, I don’t often disagree with you but I do in this instance. I think your points might be valid if Rice hadn’t actually accepted the previous call ups and taken the 3 caps. We were preparing for competitive games and we were doing so with him being in our minds as a probable starter. He’s taken another lads place and exploited us for his own gain. 
El Puto Amo
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Probably that our MON hasn't tried to tap Smyth up since the pretend country across the boarder capped him at senior level 
Not sure I am understanding your point but if I am, you do know the FAI have been tapping up Northern born players for years??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 307>
  Share Topic