You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 307>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

for me, he has to start for us either as part of a back 3 or in the defensive midfield role

You can bet your house on Rice starting in front of a back four. While he will play the role of Glenn Whelan, and we will see him primarily disrupt opposition attacks, unlike Whelan, his ability on the ball should bear fruit when it comes to initiating attacks from what will be a deep lying position.  A cracking player to have if you're looking to play a counter attacking game. His ability to break up attacks and play the simple pass but with an urgency and purpose that could make the difference. Haven't seen someone with this specific ability since Roy Keane.

Yeah in that case we could go Coleman on the right, Duffy partnered with one of Clark/K Long/Egan in the middle, and one of Ward/Cunningham/etc on the left. not bad. I agree and am similarly enthused about rice's prospects
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 2:50pm
WE SHOULD DEPLOY HIM AS A LIBERO!!!
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 3:43pm
If James McCarthy could ever get himself fit and playing regularly, we’d have the makings of a defensively solid midfield. 

I know many on here have their reservations about Harry Arter, but a midfield trio of made up of Rice, Arter and McCarthy would be comfortable in possession, while also being physically strong. It would be the type of midfield that wouldn’t allow Christian Eriksen the time and space to do as he pleased. 

Of course going forward this midfield would lack creativity. But let’s be honest we’ve haven’t possessed a top class midfielder in years, so why don’t we resort to something we are traditionally good at, in making our attacking chances from the wings? 

Would such a midfield not be able to lay the ball off to the likes of Brady on the left wing, and O’Dowda or perhaps Callum Robinson on the right? On paper, which is of course not always a great indiciator, a midfield with defensively aware, but technically half decent midfielders with pace on the wings would probably be a tactic we’d find useful. 

I think Rice would be best deployed in the following team: 

——————Randolph—————
Coleman—Duffy—Long—Ward*
—-McCarthy——Rice—-Arter—
O’Dowda* —-Long*———Brady

*Ward to be swapped out with Cunningham if he can prove himself in Premier League. I personally believe Robinson is a better player than O’Dowda but won’t be thrown in at the deep end for a while. Maguire and Hogan are probably better strikers than Long, but if we were to be whipping balls into the box regularly I think Long is good in the air and might do well in such a scenario. 

You’d play Kevin Long and Shane Duffy because they’re both giants who would threaten from set pieces. The football wouldn’t be great to watch as per usual but at least we’d be a bit more structured and at least playing to some of our strengths. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 3:59pm
With a fit McCarthy and Rice we would be able to draw nil all with anyone, on our day!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 4:47pm
Whatever about anyone else, Robbie Brady has a lot to do before justifying a starting place in the Irish team irrespective of how weak we are at the moment imo. Was not playing well for us the last year before his injury and should be nowhere near a No. 10 role as he simply can't play in that position. 

Ward doesn't deserve to be dropped so I don't see where Robbie should slot in unless he drastically improves his performance once he's back from injury.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

WE SHOULD DEPLOY HIM AS A LIBERO!!!

NON  mon      amis!!    He      is      EIRE   Trequartista!!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 4:50pm
If Brady carries on how he was playing for Burnley last year before his injury, then he should walk into the team as he is miles ahead of anyone else we have on the wing.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

If James McCarthy could ever get himself fit and playing regularly, we’d have the makings of a defensively solid midfield. 

I know many on here have their reservations about Harry Arter, but a midfield trio of made up of Rice, Arter and McCarthy would be comfortable in possession, while also being physically strong. It would be the type of midfield that wouldn’t allow Christian Eriksen the time and space to do as he pleased. 

Of course going forward this midfield would lack creativity. But let’s be honest we’ve haven’t possessed a top class midfielder in years, so why don’t we resort to something we are traditionally good at, in making our attacking chances from the wings? 

Would such a midfield not be able to lay the ball off to the likes of Brady on the left wing, and O’Dowda or perhaps Callum Robinson on the right? On paper, which is of course not always a great indiciator, a midfield with defensively aware, but technically half decent midfielders with pace on the wings would probably be a tactic we’d find useful. 

——————Randolph—————
Coleman—Duffy—Long—Ward*
—-McCarthy——Rice—-Arter—
O’Dowda* —-Long*———Brady

*Ward to be swapped out with Cunningham if he can prove himself in Premier League. I personally believe Robinson is a better player than O’Dowda but won’t be thrown in at the deep end for a while. Maguire and Hogan are probably better strikers than Long, but if we were to be whipping balls into the box regularly I think Long is good in the air and might do well in such a scenario. 

You’d play Kevin Long and Shane Duffy because they’re both giants who would threaten from set pieces. The football wouldn’t be great to watch as per usual but at least we’d be a bit more structured and at least playing to some of our strengths. 

McCarthy is not up to it.  Goes missing on purpose in games and makes sure he is isnt in a position to receive the ball.  All he does is tackle as its a no lose situation for him.  He doesn't want the ball.  Too shy and afraid  of being blamed is how I read it.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

——————Randolph—————
Coleman—Duffy—Long—Ward*
—-McCarthy——Rice—-Arter—
O’Dowda* —-Long*———Brady

agree with almost all of that and that XI is close to the one I'd favor too. I think hourihane would do nicely in that midfield 3 with rice and arter (who I rate as well). hendrick has to be mentioned as well
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 5:21pm
Rice has played a very prominent role in pre-season at West Ham, and there has been talk about Obiang and Kouyate being sold before the window closes. There is something positive about the consistency of coaches to view Rice as a very important player, at club level, and coaches like Pelligrini know good players.

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Rice has played a very prominent role in pre-season at West Ham, and there has been talk about Obiang and Kouyate being sold before the window closes. There is something positive about the consistency of coaches to view Rice as a very important player, at club level, and coaches like Pelligrini know good players.

Kouyate joins Palace
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 3:40pm

Kouyate joins Palace

I think this speaks to Rice’s prominence in Pelligrini’s thinking. I think it was a good time for Kouyate to move on, even though he has generally been very good for WHU during his time.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Kouyate joins Palace

I think this speaks to Rice’s prominence in Pelligrini’s thinking.
The more I read that sentence, the less I understand it!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 3:47pm
I’ll just say I think Pelligrini likes Declan Rice!

Edited by Het-field - 02 Aug 2018 at 3:48pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 4:12pm
I knew there was a grain of truth in there somewhere!
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 12:31pm
starts v liverpool in midfield alongside Wilshere and Nolan. Actually looks a very balanced midfield, but they’ll have their work cut out today 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 12:39pm
Great to see Pellegrini vesting faith in him.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 12:40pm
Next few weeks I'm dreading waking up to the news "Rice asks for more time to decide international future and withdraws from Nations League squad"

Might suit us that he has a stinker today!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 307>
  Share Topic