You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 307>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 11:12am
Agreed, he's still very young so has plenty of time to grow physically but that doubt will be there until he proves otherwise.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's done that quite a bit this season. It's nice to have a promising young player getting game time in the EPL, but I think people are under-estimating just how far away he is from the finished product..
Be very interesting to see how he deals with Ashley Barnes on Saturday . Nuke
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

He's done that quite a bit this season. It's nice to have a promising young player getting game time in the EPL, but I think people are under-estimating just how far away he is from the finished product..
Goal machineCool
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 1:01pm

It isn't like you to go against the grain.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Better than another former prospect, Michael Keane, did hopefully.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It isn't like you to go against the grain.

I'm giving an honest opinion having watched the player on many occasions, as I always try to do.
We're decent enough..
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 2:21pm

Absolutely correct, promising but very raw.

It should be remembered that Tony Adams had a disastrous Euro 88 for England at a young age (21-22) and progressed and learned from those setbacks to become one of England's finest centre halves.

We regularly expect way too much way too early of our promising players, the late Liam Miller was one in particular.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:45am
I'd wonder if we should give him a go in midfield. If we pick him at CB, say, alongside Duffy, will that mean Duffy stops doing the long diagonal hoofs out of defence and we become a team that plays out from the back ? I doubt it very much. At this stage of his career, Rice might not be a better actual defender than Clark is either, though he is a better footballer, or at least has the makings of one. 

If the fella can play a bit of ball, we could surely do worse than to put him in there instead of a pedestrian Whelan, a limited trier like Meyler or a hit & miss Arter. No idea whether it would work or not, but it might at least bring a bit of energy to an area that is badly lacking. We have some competent, even if not exactly outstanding, CB's already, I don't think its the area we are weakest in. 

It would be asking a lot of Rice to be the solution to some of those problems in midfield, but if he's as good as some people say he is, I don't see what there is to lose by it either. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:54am
Miller was 22 almost when he broke through at Celtic, no pressure or expectation on him as a teenager, Ger Crossley and Colin Healy more highly rated. But agree that after 20 odd starts and transfer to Utd, he was seen as next Roy Keane. I wish he had stayed and developed another few seasons at Celtic.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:13am
If we're going to play a flat back 4, there's no way Rice should be in it. He finds it difficult enough in a 3 at the moment, so to heap the extra pressure on him would be counterproductive.

Midfield would certainly be the best place to bed him in, IMO.
We're decent enough..
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Miller was 22 almost when he broke through at Celtic, no pressure or expectation on him as a teenager, Ger Crossley and Colin Healy more highly rated. But agree that after 20 odd starts and transfer to Utd, he was seen as next Roy Keane. I wish he had stayed and developed another few seasons at Celtic.

It was nigh impossible to turn down Ferguson to be fair but yeah I wish he'd have stayed longer at Celtic and all.   United still had so many strong midfield options at that stage, Liam's task was huge.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:20pm

If we're going to play a flat back 4, there's no way Rice should be in it. He finds it difficult enough in a 3 at the moment, so to heap the extra pressure on him would be counterproductive.

Midfield would certainly be the best place to bed him in, IMO.

He wouldn't be the first defender to find playing in a 3 difficult.

You need pace to be able to play it and I'm not sure that would suit us.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
arthur40 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 4:18pm
that was a bit worrying regarding MON stating that Rice still might choose England...whats happening here?..is he fully committed or what?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:00am
He is for the moment, but things can change, I think MON was just reflecting that reality with his comments, rather than expressing a fear he will declare for England. I think, and especially with reference to the Grealish situation, that until Rice steps on a pitch for us V Wales or Denmark next year, there will be talk of the possibility of him changing, and there isn't much we can do about it. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

He is for the moment, but things can change, I think MON was just reflecting that reality with his comments, rather than expressing a fear he will declare for England. I think, and especially with reference to the Grealish situation, that until Rice steps on a pitch for us V Wales or Denmark next year, there will be talk of the possibility of him changing, and there isn't much we can do about it. 

Question Des . Would the two games above be classed as a qualifier and there for Rice if he did play would not be able to paly for England in the future  .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 10:33pm
Don't know about qualifier, but they are classed as competitive, so if he plays on any of them, he's tied to Ireland.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:03am
they should really change the declaration rule to if u play any senior match for one nation friendly or competitive you're tied down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:33am
Why? It's already very stringent, you're only allowed 1 official change of association. Whether you do or don't play for your new association after that is irrelevant, you're tied.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 307>
  Share Topic