Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 306>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:27am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

I can see both sides,what it boils down to is maybe International football isnt what it once was.
The game has changed and with it the sentimental value of representing your country becoming 
more scarce.Its down to a matter of opinion of which imo KKs is the valid one.

Football mirrors society. National identity has been changed or eroded, particularly in western Europe, for good or bad. See Brexit. More than that, many more people now have more than one identity. Rice has a clear emotional connection to two countries and when forced into making a choice, chose with his head. It is more than possible his heart was divided, everything points to that.
Killer seems incapable of realising that not everybody grew up in a fully Irish family in Lancashire, totally immersed in Irish culture. The world has changed. Irish identity in England has changed. We are no longer feared or reviled, that job has been taken on by Muslims and the EU. Kids from  Irish families  aren't different. They don't spend Sundays being dragged to mass by Grandmothers and drinking Club Orange in Irish clubs and centres.  Should I have kids here they will grow up with two identities, should they be good at sport they too will have a choice. I certainly wouldn't force them to do anything. That's what Declan Rice had to do.
I admire Kilbane's passion and love for Ireland and the national team,but he has acute myopia in this instance.

He chose with his wallet imo.

Look, there's an entire valid discussion to be had about identity where your line of thinking is entirely reasonable. The problem people have is that Rice went out of his way to show that he wasn't conflicted, went on the record saying there was no decision to make and accepted 3 senior caps. If he was conflicted then he shouldn't have done that. 
Wallet would equate to head in this situation.

I think the problem there is that he wasn't conflicted at the time, the conflict came afterwards and now everything is seen in the light of that. He was, and still is Irish, so was therefore happy and proud to play for Ireland. He was asked questions that seemed irrelevant and answered them.

I think this is fairly spot on. 

Sponsored Links

Birdcracker View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birdcracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:28am
Told ye. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:32am

http://https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/feb/14/declan-rice-england-republic-of-ireland-identity
It isn't the most beautifully written piece, but she sums up the issue pretty well.

A rock solid interpretation of events. A least the FAI left no stone unturned blah blah blah....

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 15 Feb 2019 at 10:46am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Anyone see the Irish Independent article trying to pin the blame on Roy Keane.
They detailed the quotes from Rice before and after the supposed row with Keane last summer.

No blame on Keane. The incident was one of 4/5 mentioned in a timeline of events to highlight when his head was turned.  
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:55am

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

I can see both sides,what it boils down to is maybe International football isnt what it once was.
The game has changed and with it the sentimental value of representing your country becoming 

Football mirrors society. National identity has been changed or eroded, particularly in western Europe, for good or bad. See Brexit. More than that, many more people now have more than one identity. Rice has a clear emotional connection to two countries and when forced into making a choice, chose with his head. It is more than possible his heart was divided, everything points to that.
Killer seems incapable of realising that not everybody grew up in a fully Irish family in Lancashire, totally immersed in Irish culture. The world has changed. Irish identity in England has changed. We are no longer feared or reviled, that job has been taken on by Muslims and the EU. Kids from  Irish families  aren't different. They don't spend Sundays being dragged to mass by Grandmothers and drinking Club Orange in Irish clubs and centres.  Should I have kids here they will grow up with two identities, should they be good at sport they too will have a choice. I certainly wouldn't force them to do anything. That's what Declan Rice had to do.
I admire Kilbane's passion and love for Ireland and the national team,but he has acute myopia in this instance.
Rice clearly didn't grow up immersed in Irish culture
Exactly. You are getting it,f**king slowly mind you!
You're only picking out the bit that's suits you. Rice doesn't have any emotional connection to Ireland he only has a an emotional connection to England. Wonder what your problem is with Irish centres as you've mentioned them a good few times before on here. 
The irony.LOL

Why doesn't Rice have any emotional connection to Ireland?All available evidence suggests he has. Unless, of course, he is a talented actor as well as a talented footballer.

I have no problem with Irish centres, how you have managed to mangle that from my posts is baffling. The reason I have mentioned them is I have drank in them, at times regularly, over here. They are not what they were before my time here. In many ways they are a relic of a time when being both Irish and English was incompatible, when second generation lads would have spent Sundays in these places as a child and had their first pint in them. They are dying out. 
I was in Nottingham last month, the last time I was there I drank in the huge Irish centre there, so I walked past and found it closed and empty. 
You were in Nottingham last month that's mad you're never off this thing. Beginning to think you got a bad beating in an Irish centre such is your dislike for them

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 15 Feb 2019 at 10:58am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:12am

You're only picking out the bit that's suits you. Rice doesn't have any emotional connection to Ireland he only has a an emotional connection to England. Wonder what your problem is with Irish centres as you've mentioned them a good few times before on here. 
The irony.LOL

Why doesn't Rice have any emotional connection to Ireland?All available evidence suggests he has. Unless, of course, he is a talented actor as well as a talented footballer.

I have no problem with Irish centres, how you have managed to mangle that from my posts is baffling. The reason I have mentioned them is I have drank in them, at times regularly, over here. They are not what they were before my time here. In many ways they are a relic of a time when being both Irish and English was incompatible, when second generation lads would have spent Sundays in these places as a child and had their first pint in them. They are dying out. 
I was in Nottingham last month, the last time I was there I drank in the huge Irish centre there, so I walked past and found it closed and empty. 
You were in Nottingham last month that's mad you're never off this thing. Beginning to think you got a bad beating in an Irish centre such is your dislike for them

Confused

How on earth did you deduce that from his post?! LOL

Of course the Irish centres are dying out as the demograhics are changing all the time. We're not as clustered together in tight knit communities that had large Irish populations such as Kilburn,  Kingsbury etc etc than we were back then. Society has changed and will constantly change. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:28am

The irony.LOL

There you have it! The stupidest post on the stupidest thread on the internet. Take a bow.LOL
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:31am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

The irony.LOL

Confused

How on earth did you deduce that from his post?! LOL

Of course the Irish centres are dying out as the demograhics are changing all the time. We're not as clustered together in tight knit communities that had large Irish populations such as Kilburn,  Kingsbury etc etc than we were back then. Society has changed and will constantly change. 
Ahhh maybe Muff but some things stay the same as I bet you still enter  the house by using the backdoors Tongue
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

They detailed the quotes from Rice before and after the supposed row with Keane last summer.

No blame on Keane. The incident was one of 4/5 mentioned in a timeline of events to highlight when his head was turned.  

Oh come off it.
Roy Keane training ground bust up and England likability; just when was Declan Rice's head turned - is the headline, with a photo of Keane and Rice.
Then the article details quotes from Rice before and after the bust up

No blame on Keane my arse.

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:03pm

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Oh come off it.
Roy Keane training ground bust up and England likability; just when was Declan Rice's head turned - is the headline, with a photo of Keane and Rice.
Then the article details quotes from Rice before and after the bust up

No blame on Keane my arse.

Roy Keane hasn't been involved with the Ireland team since November 20th. 

Rice's choice was not between England and Roy Keane.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:32pm
This thread LOL LOL  LOL  
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

This thread LOL LOL  LOL  
Worth reading it for Sids posts alone 😂
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:47pm

The irony.LOL

There you have it! The stupidest post on the stupidest thread on the internet. Take a bow.LOL
i think the stupidest post on the internet was someone saying they were leaving a forum for good and they were back within a month.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 15 Feb 2019 at 12:47pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:49pm

The irony.LOL

i think the stupidest post on the internet was someone saying they were leaving a forum for good and they were back within a month.
That's the best you can do? A lame personal insult because of your inability to comprehend basic English! I can see how you got the name, Trigger!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:59pm

The irony.LOL

That's the best you can do? A lame personal insult because of your inability to comprehend basic English! I can see how you got the name, Trigger!
You started the insults but can't take one back.Now get off the forum like you said you were doing and stop annoying people. i reckon you've drove people away from the forum and that's why they don't come on here anymore.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 15 Feb 2019 at 1:00pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:06pm
Seconds out - Round 3
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Good for you, but your kids won't . 'countries' like yours come and go, and the sooner the better kid. Thumbs Up
Aye, that's what they used to tell my Da.

And his Da, too. LOL

And to be sure you, your da and the rest all got the wee passport with the harp on it LOL

Tick tock
"Tick tock" is it?

Time for you to stop dreaming, waken up and get ready for school, I'd say. 
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:16pm
Perhaps we need an anger management session ? I suggest lunchtime Mar 23 high in the rock. The weakest and most annoying get fooked off the Rock with a no return bungee! I can think of a few who may be on the annoying list
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 306>
  Share Topic