Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 274275276277278 307>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

I can see both sides,what it boils down to is maybe International football isnt what it once was.
The game has changed and with it the sentimental value of representing your country becoming 
more scarce.Its down to a matter of opinion of which imo KKs is the valid one.

Football mirrors society. National identity has been changed or eroded, particularly in western Europe, for good or bad. See Brexit. More than that, many more people now have more than one identity. Rice has a clear emotional connection to two countries and when forced into making a choice, chose with his head. It is more than possible his heart was divided, everything points to that.
Killer seems incapable of realising that not everybody grew up in a fully Irish family in Lancashire, totally immersed in Irish culture. The world has changed. Irish identity in England has changed. We are no longer feared or reviled, that job has been taken on by Muslims and the EU. Kids from  Irish families  aren't different. They don't spend Sundays being dragged to mass by Grandmothers and drinking Club Orange in Irish clubs and centres.  Should I have kids here they will grow up with two identities, should they be good at sport they too will have a choice. I certainly wouldn't force them to do anything. That's what Declan Rice had to do.
I admire Kilbane's passion and love for Ireland and the national team,but he has acute myopia in this instance.
Rice clearly didn't grow up immersed in Irish culture
Exactly. You are getting it,f**king slowly mind you!
You're only picking out the bit that's suits you. Rice doesn't have any emotional connection to Ireland he only has a an emotional connection to England. Wonder what your problem is with Irish centres as you've mentioned them a good few times before on here. 
The irony.LOL

Why doesn't Rice have any emotional connection to Ireland?All available evidence suggests he has. Unless, of course, he is a talented actor as well as a talented footballer.

I have no problem with Irish centres, how you have managed to mangle that from my posts is baffling. The reason I have mentioned them is I have drank in them, at times regularly, over here. They are not what they were before my time here. In many ways they are a relic of a time when being both Irish and English was incompatible, when second generation lads would have spent Sundays in these places as a child and had their first pint in them. They are dying out. 
I was in Nottingham last month, the last time I was there I drank in the huge Irish centre there, so I walked past and found it closed and empty. 
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 4:43pm

I can see both sides,what it boils down to is maybe International football isnt what it once was.
The game has changed and with it the sentimental value of representing your country becoming 

Football mirrors society. National identity has been changed or eroded, particularly in western Europe, for good or bad. See Brexit. More than that, many more people now have more than one identity. Rice has a clear emotional connection to two countries and when forced into making a choice, chose with his head. It is more than possible his heart was divided, everything points to that.
Killer seems incapable of realising that not everybody grew up in a fully Irish family in Lancashire, totally immersed in Irish culture. The world has changed. Irish identity in England has changed. We are no longer feared or reviled, that job has been taken on by Muslims and the EU. Kids from  Irish families  aren't different. They don't spend Sundays being dragged to mass by Grandmothers and drinking Club Orange in Irish clubs and centres.  Should I have kids here they will grow up with two identities, should they be good at sport they too will have a choice. I certainly wouldn't force them to do anything. That's what Declan Rice had to do.
I admire Kilbane's passion and love for Ireland and the national team,but he has acute myopia in this instance.
Rice clearly didn't grow up immersed in Irish culture
Exactly. You are getting it,f**king slowly mind you!
You're only picking out the bit that's suits you. Rice doesn't have any emotional connection to Ireland he only has a an emotional connection to England. Wonder what your problem is with Irish centres as you've mentioned them a good few times before on here. 
The irony.LOL

Why doesn't Rice have any emotional connection to Ireland?All available evidence suggests he has. Unless, of course, he is a talented actor as well as a talented footballer.

I have no problem with Irish centres, how you have managed to mangle that from my posts is baffling. The reason I have mentioned them is I have drank in them, at times regularly, over here. They are not what they were before my time here. In many ways they are a relic of a time when being both Irish and English was incompatible, when second generation lads would have spent Sundays in these places as a child and had their first pint in them. They are dying out. 
I was in Nottingham last month, the last time I was there I drank in the huge Irish centre there, so I walked past and found it closed and empty. 
With Keane back in town it might re-open..........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:10pm

Rice clearly didn't grow up immersed in Irish culture if he did he'd only want to play for Ireland and no else! He only has a small connection so no surprise he see's himself as a proud English man.
I'm born and brought up in Ireland and have only ever lived in Ireland, but I grew up immersed in English culture.

As did pretty much everybody here, I'd wager.

Edited by sid waddell - 14 Feb 2019 at 5:10pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:28pm
Major Grant in Die Hard 2 played for one side then switched to the old enemy
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

LOL You love stirring the pot Terry.
The best Irish stew needs plenty of stirring. 

But no rice.

Does the contrast in reaction to the Zaha and Rice scenarios genuinely surprise you?
No, not at all. 

In my opinion, many of the derogatory comments about DR are inspired by an anti-English prejudice (whether conscious or unconscious) which as it happens is not usually reciprocated.

And a lack of irony and self-awareness from those critics doesn't help either, eg the moron on Twitter who hoped that James McClean gets promoted to the EPL so he can break Rice's leg!

I mean, why McClean?

Why not some ready-made EPL player, like eg this one?

Not to worry Terry, there won't be confusion regarding young lads on this island and who they represent for much longer. Sit back and watch the demographics and Brexit play out and there will only be one team here in a few years. We might even play an odd friendly up in Windsor (to be renamed Tayto park II) when Oman are coming to town. Wink
El Puto Amo
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:54pm
Main question, does anyone on this forum think it ok or right to play for one national team at senior level, stand proudly and belt out the national anthem and than a few month later turn around and play for another national team.?honest question
Sullivinho View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullivinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:17pm
Plastic turncoats are bad for the environment.

Come on you Boys in Green. 🇮🇪 ⚽ ☘️

Edited by Sullivinho - 14 Feb 2019 at 6:20pm
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:19pm
Brazil made Diego Costa sit through an entire confederations cup on the bench he defected they hated him.

After Declan Rice was let go by Chelsea while the English scouts ignored him we called him up, capped him at underage level and senior level.

There is a big difference between Diego Costa, Wilfred Zaha and Declan Rice.

Northern Irish players shouldn’t be used as an excuse to hide the Irish fans frustrations either. That’s a whole other can of worms beyond merely using the granny rule.

Hopefully the FAI learn their lesson, this is just below Henry’s handball for me.

Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:05pm

LOL You love stirring the pot Terry.
The best Irish stew needs plenty of stirring. 

But no rice.

Does the contrast in reaction to the Zaha and Rice scenarios genuinely surprise you?
No, not at all. 

In my opinion, many of the derogatory comments about DR are inspired by an anti-English prejudice (whether conscious or unconscious) which as it happens is not usually reciprocated.

And a lack of irony and self-awareness from those critics doesn't help either, eg the moron on Twitter who hoped that James McClean gets promoted to the EPL so he can break Rice's leg!

For me its not anti English it's anti British. Britian has 4 provinces and should have the one team in all sports. Show me an English Scots Welsh or Narnia passport if you think Im wrong. If Rice feels his is a pround brit let him off to  play with the province of England. Hope that he has a great club Career

I mean, why McClean?

Why not some ready-made EPL player, like eg this one?

Not to worry Terry, there won't be confusion regarding young lads on this island and who they represent for much longer. Sit back and watch the demographics and Brexit play out and there will only be one team here in a few years. We might even play an odd friendly up in Windsor (to be renamed Tayto park II) when Oman are coming to town. Wink
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:09pm

Aye, that's what they said in 1921 - "Sure it's only temporary..."

And then again during WWII (you might know it better as The Emergency) - "Sure that nice Mr. Hitler will sort it all out."

And "Operation Harvest" - that was a good one, and such a lovely name too, don't you think?

Of course 1966 was a shoo-in. You know, 50th Anniversary and all that.

And then the Big One, starting two years later:

(See 25 secs in)

And the Peace Process - that was another good one, too. "Yes Gerry, we'll talk them into a United Ireland..."

Yet here we all are, just two years short of NI's Centenary and still no end to the string of fairy tales! 

So like Martin McGuinness, Gerry Adams and all the rest, I'll end up having been born in the UK, living in the UK and dying in the UK, thank you very much! LOL 

Edited by Territorial - 14 Feb 2019 at 8:11pm
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:22pm
Good for you, but your kids won't . 'countries' like yours come and go, and the sooner the better kid. Thumbs Up
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Good for you, but your kids won't . 'countries' like yours come and go, and the sooner the better kid. Thumbs Up
Aye, that's what they used to tell my Da.

And his Da, too. LOL
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:52pm

And his Da, too. LOL

And to be sure you, your da and the rest all got the wee passport with the harp on it LOL

Tick tock
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:04am

And his Da, too. LOL
. Those demographic changes aren't looking too good pal. The unionist side having less kids and the youth more likely to emigrate. I'm happy for you if you die in the UK but your grand kids won't. Your kids probably won't either. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

He chose with his wallet imo.

Look, there's an entire valid discussion to be had about identity where your line of thinking is entirely reasonable. The problem people have is that Rice went out of his way to show that he wasn't conflicted, went on the record saying there was no decision to make and accepted 3 senior caps. If he was conflicted then he shouldn't have done that. 
Plain and simple Drums, IT'S THE MONEY ..........
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:04am
http://https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/feb/14/declan-rice-england-republic-of-ireland-identity
It isn't the most beautifully written piece, but she sums up the issue pretty well.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Anyone see the Irish Independent article trying to pin the blame on Roy Keane.
They detailed the quotes from Rice before and after the supposed row with Keane last summer.
More so do you see who wrote it LOL
LOLLOL

“One source claims...”

Well Gary,turns out you were talking sh*t all this time. Who would have thought it. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:26am
LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 274275276277278 307>
  Share Topic