Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 199200201202203 307>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Obvious his family want him to play for Ireland

I would imagine that his brother feels less of an affinity to Ireland as he, presumably, was also born in England with an English sounding parent and went to English schools. The father on the other hand has Irish parents and would be more likely to promote Ireland.

I think the influence of the brother could be our undoing.

It's the influence of Rice's family that is giving him encouragement; the player's father Sean wants his son to stay put.

"You know where his father stands on this," said O'Neill. "And I also think the rest of the family, the brothers.

That's from when MON was manager, I'd imagine if Declan was brought up routing for Ireland so would his brothers have been  by their father

You have families where the dad and brothers are Liverpool but then one of the sons is Utd. Could also be the case in the Rice household.

I get the feeling that for Rice he is very proud to play for Ireland or England but it's the ambition to play with the best and compete with the best that is swaying his decision

And to be honest, you can't really blame him. I think only if you are like kilbane and heart is completely irish or you doubt you will get many caps at england would you pick ireland if you had a split allegiance. He could go on to win 50+ caps if he was to declare for England and he would back himself to do that

He's hardly going to bring an English loving "God Save The Queen" brother to a meeting with the Irish setup is he LOL

(Read brother voice as Gollum)

Mick : We want to build a Team around Declan

Brother: It's all lies, we do much betters with England yes yes we woulds

Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:23pm
You dont pick your country to win trophies. You pick your country to play for your country. If the chance to play in major comps and win a trophy or two comes your way then what a huge bonus that is. This saga and and the amount of lads fawning over him and making excuses is sickening. As Hoskins said, he decided to make himself unavailable at a ti e when we needed him most. I hope he never wears the green again, he can go and fuk right off.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

England won’t win f**k all. 

Golden generation my bollocks. Handy run in the World Cup and they’re suddenly going to win the lot? 

They’re nowhere near the likes of Germany, France or Spain in terms of young up and coming players. 

Now they might find themselves in the semis and quarters more often, but on paper this current England team is one of the weakest for years. 

They just happened to get a favorable draw in the World Cup.
They won both FIFA underage world cups last year (U17/U20).

The talent is definitely there. The issue is whether they get enough gametime in the PL to progress - but with players increasingly moving abroad this may not be such an issue.

The one place they lack a standout young player is in holding midfield. So its clear to see why Rice is tempted. Our best chance is either his family convinces him or he is too embarrassed to pick up three caps and then leaveLOL

Hmm. 

If the talent was there at underage level would some of it not already be in the senior squad? 

France could win whatever underage tournament they wanted if they allowed some of their young senior players to play for their underage age group. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

And finally the penny is dropping that he is going to England for some on hereConfused. He was going to England the minute he decided he wasn't playing in the Nations League

I agree unfortunately.The last few months have just been one stage managed stunt for good PR when he inevitably switches.

Given the phrasing of his statement. "I will make decision soon"

Just make a decision now then. This is what has me convinced that this last few months has been been pure theatre. 
daraghj82 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daraghj82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:46pm
yeah, ridiculous how much time he has been given to 'make his decision' anyway its likely to be for England and he will probably think the 3 caps for us will soften the blow
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

You dont pick your country to win trophies. You pick your country to play for your country. If the chance to play in major comps and win a trophy or two comes your way then what a huge bonus that is. This saga and and the amount of lads fawning over him and making excuses is sickening. As Hoskins said, he decided to make himself unavailable at a ti e when we needed him most. I hope he never wears the green again, he can go and fuk right off.

And what happens if you have links to, and are FIFA-eligible for, multiple nations? I agree this saga a pain in the hoop, but none of us here know Declan, his agent, his family etc. "You pick your country to play for your country" - says who? Is this a FIFA directive?
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by daraghj82 daraghj82 wrote:

yeah, ridiculous how much time he has been given to 'make his decision' anyway its likely to be for England and he will probably think the 3 caps for us will soften the blow

makes it worse with 3 caps at least Jack Peter Grealish F**ked off early
greenscene View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by daveyc daveyc wrote:

Originally posted by daraghj82 daraghj82 wrote:

makes it worse with 3 caps at least Jack Peter Grealish F**ked off early
This. If, and its still an IF, Rice ditches us, its an utterly shameful thing to do after 3 caps. Id wish him good luck if he had not represented the senior side. Grealish, while he came across as a knob, at least never wore the senior jersey
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:05pm
That other thread with the Poll on who Rice will play for - Why is there not a "Couldn't care less" option ?
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The lads that were saying that he was definitely staying with us - What say ye now !
If Deco goes, I go !!!!!!

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:10pm
If he wants to win trophies why did he a sign a new contract with West ham? Surely his  new agent that was into his ear about switching to England  would have known there be interest from top 6 clubs in the premiership in him, and to be fair all the fuss and time spent on his new contract with West ham in the end it was nothing special,In my opinion the lad seems to be getting bad advice from every quarter,the only person or persons he should listen to or trust is his father and family .

Edited by Green rebel - 10 Jan 2019 at 3:22pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Green rebel Green rebel wrote:

If he wants to win trophies why did he a sign a new contract with West ham? Surely his  new agent that was into his ear about switching to England  would have known there be interest from top 6 clubs in the premiership in him, and to be fair his new contract with West ham is nothing special,In my opinion the lad seems to be getting bad advice from every quarter,the only person or persons he should listen to or trust is his father and family .

He signed a contract to get 40 grand a week so that if he signed for city in a year or 2, he could then command 100 grand a week. Contracts just means everyone wins...selling club can charge huge amount, players gets a bump in wages, agent gets a bump. Only losers financially are the buying club, but at least they get a class player.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:40pm

That other thread with the Poll on who Rice will play for - Why is there not a "Couldn't care less" option ?

You're meant to click the back arrow or not click into the poll for that option. Clap  
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:54pm
Regardless of his family background, he was born and raised in England. You'd imagine most of his friends are English as are those whom he works for. I wouldn't doubt that he is delighted to have Irish roots and that when he put on the shirt, he felt extremely proud. But he probably feels as much English as Irish and for that you can't blame him. There might have been a part of him that doubted he would ever get a call from them and when he was told that it was possible then the decision wasn't so easy. All speculation obviously but if he identifies as both 50/50 then it'll be England. And why not? As much as it pains me, they've better players, a better set-up, a brighter future and it will probably result in more money as well. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:55pm

Why bother trying to read anything into all of this ? Pointless exercise.

This.

Embarrassing the way some are acting on here on the back of that article.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Why bother trying to read anything into all of this ? Pointless exercise.

This.

Embarrassing the way some are acting on here on the back of that article.

This is the best thread on the forum since Jose was sacked on the Unirah one went to sh1te. 
El Puto Amo
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by skylarking skylarking wrote:

And what happens if you have links to, and are FIFA-eligible for, multiple nations? I agree this saga a pain in the hoop, but none of us here know Declan, his agent, his family etc. "You pick your country to play for your country" - says who? Is this a FIFA directive?
yeah its a FIFA directive ffs... Says anybody with a bit of pride. Maybe some of you are happy enough that representing Ireland is treated this way, more power to you If it gets to the stage that players choose whoch nation to represent based on the chance of winning a trophy then its game over for international football. He knows well which nation he feels more aligned to, come out and say it and fuk off.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:35pm

Originally posted by skylarking skylarking wrote:

yeah its a FIFA directive ffs... Says anybody with a bit of pride. Maybe some of you are happy enough that representing Ireland is treated this way, more power to you If it gets to the stage that players choose whoch nation to represent based on the chance of winning a trophy then its game over for international football. He knows well which nation he feels more aligned to, come out and say it and fuk off.
Spot on Sham.  Clap

Trophy-chasing and maximising your income should be left to club football.  International football should be about the pride of playing for your country. 

Call me old-fashioned if yis like but that's my take on it - and I'm sure I'm not alone on this.  Thumbs Up

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 199200201202203 307>
  Share Topic