You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 307>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:06pm
thats great to hear..i really do think this lad could be a massive player for us..
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:46pm
He can be  big player for EIRE.  He is so good he is like a 3 in 1 player.  Very tasty.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Well if the likes of Wales are calling up Ethan Ampadu to the full squad then there is no excuse why Rice can't get a call up to our 100 man provisional squad. 

Wales have also called up Tom Lockyer and Lee Evans from Bristol Rovers and Wigan Athletic. The reason they have called up Ampadu is as much to do with their lack of depth as it is his potential.

Lockyer is club captain at 22. Evans turned 23 only last month and, having suffered a series of injuries, has gone loan to Wigan from Wolves for some first team football. Both are arguably in the squad based on their 'potential'. Coleman could have called up the likes of Matthews, Vaughan and Crofts but chose not to do so. Collins has been omitted in the past.

Notwithstanding the small pool of players they have to choose from, It seems reasonably clear that since Toshack's time, Wales have a deliberate policy of bringing young players into their setup based on their 'potential'. They are also proactive in calling up young duel-qualified players, such as Woodburn, Wilson (both eligible to play for England) Gethin Jones (wanted by Australia) as well as Ampadu (only 16 and obviously also qualifies for Ireland). And it's an approach that appears to have borne fruit - Wales have gone from a bunch of also-rans to a side that reaches the semi-finals of major competitions.

If Rice were Welsh it seems fairly plain he would have been called up for these qualfiers. As probably would Cullen.

Woodburn has played under 10 professional club games in his career. 

Gethin Jones is 22 in a few months time and hasn't played over 20 professional club games in his career.

Harry Wilson who hasn't played a first team game in how long at club level, over a year I think?

Amapdu hasn't played 15 professional games in his career yet.

None of these played ANY part in Wales getting to a major championship, none of these players have played any part in Wales current campaign either. 

I have no doubt if Rice or Culllen were from Laois and Mayo you wouldn't be saying both should be in our squad for the upcoming qualifiers.

We shouldn't have to cap lads or fast track players just because they have dual nationality, if a player want's to play for us he will and it's as simple as that.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:27pm
BTW, I am all for seeing O'Neill call up the likes of Cullen, Rice, Byrne (pre-Wigan) , Ryan Manning's etc of this world if their form merits it or even giving them a taste of being in a training squad.

But not to cap lads during competitive internationals just to stop another country getting them (Cullen/Rice) in this case. We shouldn't have to! 

Now if Rice plays week in week out for West Ham come the October internationals, then let O'Neil get him involved if he thinks he's ready. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

BTW, I am all for seeing O'Neill call up the likes of Cullen, Rice, Byrne (pre-Wigan) , Ryan Manning's etc of this world if their form merits it or even giving them a taste of being in a training squad.

But not to cap lads during competitive internationals just to stop another country getting them (Cullen/Rice) in this case. We shouldn't have to! 

Now if Rice plays week in week out for West Ham come the October internationals, then let O'Neil get him involved if he thinks he's ready. 

Tbf alot of other Nations are doing this so why shouldn't we - Wales & USA for example.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:39pm
I think it should be done in certain situations, but to be throwing around caps at every guy who plays 1 senior game trivialises the exercise. There's a happy medium, we're at one end of it, and Wales are at the other. There are faults in both approaches.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Tbf alot of other Nations are doing this so why shouldn't we - Wales & USA for example.

USA are capping mainly German born players who wouldn't have a prayer of getting near their national team.

You look down through the Welsh squad over the past 18/24 months, how many of these youngsters with dual nationality who you could actually say were genuinely courted by England are now regulars or even getting a look in for Wales?

So even though we would have a bigger playing pool than Wales the answer is to basically just cap youngsters for the sake of it despite not being ready for international football just so another country can't use them? Despite our two brightest prospects in Cullen and Rice showing zero intention of playing for anyone but Ireland?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I think it should be done in certain situations, but to be throwing around caps at every guy who plays 1 senior game trivialises the exercise. There's a happy medium, we're at one end of it, and Wales are at the other. There are faults in both approaches.

If Rice plays 15/20+ games in the Premiership and is really impressing then for sure O'Neill should bring him into a training squad again, but not another case like Grealish when he was playing in League 1 with Notts County.

Call ups should be on merit for young inexperienced players, dual nationality shouldn't come into it.

Edited by Green Devil - 25 Aug 2017 at 11:49pm

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:57pm

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

USA are capping mainly German born players who wouldn't have a prayer of getting near their national team.

You look down through the Welsh squad over the past 18/24 months, how many of these youngsters with dual nationality who you could actually say were genuinely courted by England are now regulars or even getting a look in for Wales?

So even though we would have a bigger playing pool than Wales the answer is to basically just cap youngsters for the sake of it despite not being ready for international football just so another country can't use them? Despite our two brightest prospects in Cullen and Rice showing zero intention of playing for anyone but Ireland?

I see your point with Rice and Cullen bud. But I'm just saying what they do aint necessarily a bad idea - Lynden Gooch is probably the best example of it - He's someone who Ireland don't have alot of in that position but the USA took the initiative and capped him right away. There was no chance he was going to England but at the age of 21, low in quantity in the position he plays, if he ends up having a really good season some Irish fans might start thinking I wish O'Neill got a hold of him before they did.
Drummerboy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drummerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 1:28pm
Being watching football a long time and this lad has being the most impressive newcomer since the day I seen ROy Keane playing at Anfield in his first season.
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 1:56pm
i know I have been lambasted on this forum for saying he deserves a call up now but I don't think people realise how much of a talent he is.
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 2:01pm
Starts once again, away to Newcastle
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

i know I have been lambasted on this forum for saying he deserves a call up now but I don't think people realise how much of a talent he is.

What games did you see him play in?

Whose place does he take?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

He takes Glen Whelan's place. That simple.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 3:37pm
At fault for Newcastle goal, something he'll learn from
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 3:52pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He takes Glen Whelan's place. That simple.

If you had your way you would still have Robbie Keane and Given playing. We are a poorer team with Whelan in it. The man offers nothing.

No,
But I wouldn't throw some 18 year old novice into a very important qualifier either.

Stick to football manager, because you know f**k all about football that's for sure.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 3:54pm
Wick is the perfect name for you πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 3:55pm
He is not ready to take anyone's place but include him in squad for experience. Be better for him than any coaching that fool Noel King could do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 307>
  Share Topic