You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 307>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

I said this after Grealish and got hammered but I still believe it. Under 21 squads should only be domestic based players (From any national background with Irish qualification) and Irish born players abroad. If an English born Irish man playing abroad wants to play for Ireland they can wait until the seniors come calling.

So we deny guys the chance to play for the country that they may well identify as their own simply because they're eligible for another? I'm sure that wouldn't be in the slightest alienating...

Taking your point to it's logical conclusion, we'd also have to exclude Irish-born players like Bazunu simply because they're eligible for another nations too... Its an absolutely idiotic suggestion which would do more harm than good, and you were rightly hammered for suggesting something that is so blatently discriminatory.

Bazuna plays for Shamrock Rovers. He is eligible. If he is good enough at 17 for Man City next year cap him. No problem. Im talking about under 21s and below. 
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 2:09am

I said this after Grealish and got hammered but I still believe it. Under 21 squads should only be domestic based players (From any national background with Irish qualification) and Irish born players abroad. If an English born Irish man playing abroad wants to play for Ireland they can wait until the seniors come calling.

So we deny guys the chance to play for the country that they may well identify as their own simply because they're eligible for another? I'm sure that wouldn't be in the slightest alienating...

Taking your point to it's logical conclusion, we'd also have to exclude Irish-born players like Bazunu simply because they're eligible for another nations too... Its an absolutely idiotic suggestion which would do more harm than good, and you were rightly hammered for suggesting something that is so blatently discriminatory.

Bazuna plays for Shamrock Rovers. He is eligible. If he is good enough at 17 for Man City next year cap him. No problem. Im talking about under 21s and below. 

He's also eligible for another nation, which is exactly the same problem as your ludicrous "Rice/Grealish rule" seeks to address.
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 2:25am

He's also eligible for another nation, which is exactly the same problem as your ludicrous "Rice/Grealish rule" seeks to address.

It is just a really bad idea
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 3:07am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I turned him into a Scot which is all we need.

But I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.Ouch

Nobody does......
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:20am

Good rant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KmLMh6K2gY

Edited by Howdo - 31 Aug 2018 at 8:22am
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Good rant

i turned it off when i saw the **** was wearing a scarf indoors........... 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:54am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Good rant

Jaysus that fella is annoying. I wish I didn't click on that link now
El Puto Amo
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:57am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Good rant

Have no doubt he has connections in Mayo LOL
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 9:09am

Again - Based in Ireland = Eligible!
Once he moves, if he is good enough to play for Ireland Im sure senior team will cap him
Anybody with Irish links no matter where born playing domestically is eligible. Not sure which part of that you dont understand. Irish Rugby do it for all domestic players and nobody really sees an issue. Its a twist on that style

Edited by scottyccfc - 31 Aug 2018 at 9:10am
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 9:15am

Once he moves, if he is good enough to play for Ireland Im sure senior team will cap him
Anybody with Irish links no matter where born playing domestically is eligible. Not sure which part of that you dont understand. Irish Rugby do it for all domestic players and nobody really sees an issue. Its a twist on that style

I think that is a good idea. Some of these guys have no connection to Ireland at all. They wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between O’Connell Street and High Street Calcutta. There has to be more to playing for Ireland than fulfilling Uefa’s criteria. Having lived in Ireland is a good starter. 
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 9:26am
I reckon apart from the agent,, the club is putting pressure on him. For West Ham to have an top England star would be a marketing dream for them. Very hard one for Rice to work under when his employers are asking him to switch to England. 

Anyway Its better to have a player 100% committed than a reluctant f**ker playing for us and pulling out of tackles.

As much as the likes of Kilbane are right, they arent helping the situation

Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 10:27am

Has he actually refused to play for the U-21's, or hashe simply not been picked due to the overall circumstances?

The squad hasn't been announce yet, so don't know where he got the idea that Rice was refusing to play for them
SeanG4393 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Has he actually refused to play for the U-21's, or hashe simply not been picked due to the overall circumstances?

The squad hasn't been announce yet, so don't know where he got the idea that Rice was refusing to play for them

He's asking the question 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Good rant

https://www.youtube.com/anothertwatwithacamera

jaysus Dead fixed the link though 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by SeanG4393 SeanG4393 wrote:

Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

He's asking the question 

Yeah it was in response to someone else who said that he was refusing to play

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Let's not kid ourselves here; he's gone and it's time to let go. He's refusing to play for the U-21s in two hugely important qualifying games even though that wouldn't be tying him to anything. Even Grealish didn't go that far; he stayed involved in the underage set up while he was 'deliberating', even accepting an award. It's a case of him letting us down gently, the equivalent of a trial separation, where your girlfriend's mind's fully made up on wanting to leave you but, thinking she's doing you a favour, does it in stages, cruelly giving you false hope. Any potential switch will take some months to go through anyway - the wheels are have probably already been set in motion. He'll hope a lot of the fuss will have died down by then. The hard part's already over. He hunkered down for a couple of days, switching his Twitter account to private having steeled himself for the negative response he'd receive from many. That storm has been weathered now. At best he'll get into England's U-21 set-up, where Aidy Boothroyd is their head coach, his Watford and Northampton sides being known for playing some of the crudest, most old-fashioned, lowbrow, basic and direct football seen in English football over the last twenty years. A significant step up from Keane and O'Neill's antediluvian approach, in other words.

I have to say, this whole situation has really depressed me. It's extinguished a lot of the hope I had for the national team going forward, having fallen out of love with club football some time ago. My enthusiasm for the sport I was once so enamoured with has taken a huge hit. It's become all so cynical and money oriented.

Edited by Darraghn92 - 31 Aug 2018 at 11:25am
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Kevin Kilbane - "I’d rather be ranked 150th in the world and never qualify again than have someone who has played, but needs time to THINK whether they should play for us again. "

speak for yourself Kevin!
Fook off ragbag he is spot fckin on 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:50am
http://the-fa.com/ITi95L

When you look at the players in the England under-21s squad it’s quite clear that Declan would walk into it. He’s not a million miles away from their first team either.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 12:04pm

What does being based in Ireland have to do with anything? What you're  complaining about is guys switching nations having played for us  at underage level; Bazunu, Shodipo, etc could do that just as easily as Rice and Grealish despite the fact they're Irish-born, so naturally they would fall within the jurisdiction of your discriminatory rule.

And you aren't arguing for just a domestic based squad, as you also said we should pick Irish-born players in foreign leagues. A perverse outcome of such a rule would be that the likes of Sean Maguire and Derrick Williams would not have been able to represent us at underage levels despite growing up in Ireland (as they were born in London and Hamburg respectively)...

We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 307>
  Share Topic