Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 307>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Didn’t see the game last night, but by all accounts it appeared that Rice started at left-back, before shifting to centre-half.

He’s also supposedly just as capable in defensive midfield and at right-back.

While we undoubtedly need a few promising attackers to come to the fore, it’s fantastic to see such a young Irish player comfortable in several posistions.

He could be a big player for us if he keeps up these level of performances, but on the other hand, we need to cap him soon.

Take a look on twitter and you’ll see several English journalists praising his performances, and it won’t be long before they start asking him where his international allegiances lie.

He was the left-sided centre-back in a back 5, he's never played at left-back or right-back.

Could be wrong, but I think he played left-back vs West Brom last week, replaced Cresswell, and they moved to a back four with Zabaleta-Reid-Ogbonna-Rice.

Cresswell has predominantly been playing as a left-sided centre-back this season, with Masuaku at left-back. I'd imagine Rice replaced him in that position, but perhaps not. Either way, his long-term position is at centre-back or defensive midfield, he hasn't got the pace to be a top level full-back.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 6:23pm

Didn’t see the game last night, but by all accounts it appeared that Rice started at left-back, before shifting to centre-half.

He’s also supposedly just as capable in defensive midfield and at right-back.

While we undoubtedly need a few promising attackers to come to the fore, it’s fantastic to see such a young Irish player comfortable in several posistions.

He could be a big player for us if he keeps up these level of performances, but on the other hand, we need to cap him soon.

Take a look on twitter and you’ll see several English journalists praising his performances, and it won’t be long before they start asking him where his international allegiances lie.

He was the left-sided centre-back in a back 5, he's never played at left-back or right-back.

Could be wrong, but I think he played left-back vs West Brom last week, replaced Cresswell, and they moved to a back four with Zabaleta-Reid-Ogbonna-Rice.

Cresswell has predominantly been playing as a left-sided centre-back this season, with Masuaku at left-back. I'd imagine Rice replaced him in that position, but perhaps not. Either way, his long-term position is at centre-back or defensive midfield, he hasn't got the pace to be a top level full-back.

I’m actually agreeing with you, I hope he develops into a decent centre-half, but it’s nice that he offers us options in midfield, and can slot in nearly anywhere in the back line.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

He has to be in the next squad.

ffs he's 18 let him play some league games before this bullsh*t starts of get him into the squad, get him to start blah blah blah

He’s getting game time in the Premier League. He’s started a few games and made another few sub appearances. Apart from Duffy and Ward that’s as good as the rest of our defenders. Clarke hasn’t even been first choose this season. Kevin Long hasn’t played much for Burnley either. He should be in the squad on merit.
greenscene View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 12:46pm

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

He has to be in the next squad.

ffs he's 18 let him play some league games before this bullsh*t starts of get him into the squad, get him to start blah blah blah

He’s getting game time in the Premier League. He’s started a few games and made another few sub appearances. Apart from Duffy and Ward that’s as good as the rest of our defenders. Clarke hasn’t even been first choose this season. Kevin Long hasn’t played much for Burnley either. He should be in the squad on merit.

Kevin Long had played more than Rice this year.
It will be used as a stick to beat O'Neill by the usual but there really hasn't been an opportunity to cap him yet. He was called up to Austria squad after just making his league debut. It was always unlikely for him to play in the last few group games with so so much depending on them.
He does indeed look special
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 2:34pm
It's not an issue we usually have with Irish central defenders, but he's got a real weakness in dealing with aerial balls. He's already misjudged a few in this match, and he doesn't seem to have any spring in his leap to recover the poor positioning.
We're decent enough..
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 2:14am
I had an argument with many people on this forum months ago that Rice was ready for a call up and was able to deal with the pressure of international football if he could get In a relegation threatened premier league side, my argument was comparing him to Kevin long. Long had played a handful of games for Burnley and was called up and because of injuries he was give a competitive cap against wales, rice has now got more premier league experience than long, 12 premier league games for Rice to 9 for long and if he does not get a call up in the forthcoming friendlys questions need to be asked.
Imagine if we had a forward thinking manager who might try three at the back, Clark Duffy rice with Coleman and Brady as attacking fullbacks, a centre midfielde of McCarthy Arthur and hendrick with McLean in free role and long as lone striker, 10 premier league players playing well and all in natural positions!!

Edited by Adobolo - 08 Jan 2018 at 2:16am
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

I had an argument with many people on this forum months ago that Rice was ready for a call up and was able to deal with the pressure of international football if he could get In a relegation threatened premier league side, my argument was comparing him to Kevin long. Long had played a handful of games for Burnley and was called up and because of injuries he was give a competitive cap against wales, rice has now got more premier league experience than long, 12 premier league games for Rice to 9 for long and if he does not get a call up in the forthcoming friendlys questions need to be asked.
Imagine if we had a forward thinking manager who might try three at the back, Clark Duffy rice with Coleman and Brady as attacking fullbacks, a centre midfielde of McCarthy Arthur and hendrick with McLean in free role and long as lone striker, 10 premier league players playing well and all in natural positions!!

WELL  BIELSA 
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 11:59am

totally agree, Wed be a match for anyone. The likes of Doherty,o dowda,Horgan, Maguire and Hogan to come off the bench. We'd be a decent proposition.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 12:02pm

Yeah! With Arthur, McLean, Colman, Hoolihoop, Laing, Rudolph and all the rest of the f**king reindeer we would win the World Cup.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 12:05pm
The free role is hardly McClean's natural position. Its the left wing or nowhere for him (IMO) despite constant calls on this website to try him up front, in a playmaker role, or at left back.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 12:15pm
McClean in a playmaker role is one thing I hope to never see
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 1:41pm
I think MON could see Rice as an option at left-back.

Out of our four best defenders, Ward is the oldest, and is the worst player too. Not sure if Rice is physically strong enough to play centre-half with a flat back four (at the moment),I think West Ham get away with it as they play five at the back.

A year or two at left-full will allow him to integrate into the team, and will allow him to work on his strength and heading. (Which he seems poor enough at).

Nothing wrong with a back line of Rice-Clark-Duffy-Coleman. (Atleast on paper anyway).
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 2:13pm
I'd still take Ward ahead of Rice at left-back by a considerable distance. He's done well for the past few years and if anything he seems to be getting better with age rather than declining. If I was going to slot Rice in anywhere, it would be defensive midfield, a position that most certainly is up for grabs in our team. It would best suit his strengths (comfort on the ball, good fitness, decent tackler), and least expose his weaknesses (lack of explosive power/athleticism).
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 2:21pm

I think MON could see Rice as an option at left-back.

Out of our four best defenders, Ward is the oldest, and is the worst player too. Not sure if Rice is physically strong enough to play centre-half with a flat back four (at the moment),I think West Ham get away with it as they play five at the back.

A year or two at left-full will allow him to integrate into the team, and will allow him to work on his strength and heading. (Which he seems poor enough at).

Nothing wrong with a back line of Rice-Clark-Duffy-Coleman. (Atleast on paper anyway).

Just going on 19 so he has plenty of time to fill out. But, as you said, at the moment, he's probably not physically strong enough.

Don't want to see him at LB though.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 4:50pm
we have to  stop playing players  over 30 years old
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 4:51pm
bar hoolahan and maybe Walters ...the rest   long kiss goodbye
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:53pm
A back 5 of Brady, Rice, Duffy, Clarke, Coleman would make a lot of sense, would like to see it tried over the next 18 months.
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:24pm
They are our 5 best players (people may argue over rice but he will be our best) and as you say need to be tried out in a back 5, my only fear would be a lack of pace from any of the 3 centre backs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 307>
  Share Topic