Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 307>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:42am
He’s got a rat-like nose and teeth 
Sponsored Links

Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I was right 

The big nose rat has spoken to him already 

Rat? Wtf? If it was the other way around people would be praising O'Neill for bringing talent on board. Southgate is just doing his job, and he's doing a great job with England. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 2:04am
i love the EIRE. So plucky yet ao talentless.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 1:04am
I'd be more than happy if O'Neill were to get off his hole and recruit us (steal, like really?) some decent talent. I couldn't care less how many times they've played for another nation, as long as they aren't cap-tied they're fair game.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:42am
it’s sneaky and ungentlemanly as I said on Monday, and I’d say the same if O’Neill went and stole a player off the north who’d played three senior friendlies for them 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:39am
That's hardly unexpected, it's part of his job to stock as much talent as he can.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I would say the bait has been laid well before today's press conference. Would be surprised if big nose hadn't already spoken to Rice

I was right 

The big nose rat has spoken to him already 

gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 11:38pm
He's obviously counted himself out of this International break.....I reckon he'll need to decide either way by the next one which is little over a month away.....this is different to any other case, he has 3 full caps......a line needs to drawn under it if he does not make himself available in a month
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 11:36pm
The opening line from John Giles' autobiography sums it up "I entered the game as a 17 year old boy, and I left it twenty years later as a 17 year old boy" 
(Might be 18, I don't have the quote to hand)
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 11:08pm
Yes, I'd actually argue that given the precarious nature of a career in football, your average 19 year old footballer knows even less about themselves than a regular person. Couple this with the highly regimented lifestyle of daily training - when you are told where to be, what time to be there, and what to do - and you have a situation where thinking about yourself and your future is actively disincentivised.... All that matters is the next match.
We're decent enough..
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

They're 19, they only thing they don't know of how much they don't know. Same as every other 19 year old.

Ever read any of the interviews in programs, or magazines? The answer to the question "what would you be doing of you weren't paying football?" is usually "I dunno, maybe a PE teacher"

When you all what do you want to do in a year, at best you'll get "I wanna play football". None of them will answer you about what they're going to do when they retire in 15 years, none of them will give you an answer about what happens if they get injured, or lose form, none of them will give you an answer about what they're doing with their money, other than buying cars and clothes.

Favourite movie : Shawshank Redemption 
Favourite food : steak and chips 

Shoot magazine at its finest 

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 10:46pm
They're 19, they only thing they don't know is how much they don't know. Same as every other 19 year old.

Ever read any of the interviews in programs, or magazines? The answer to the question "what would you be doing of you weren't paying football?" is usually "I dunno, maybe a PE teacher"

When you all what do you want to do in a year, at best you'll get "I wanna play football". None of them will answer you about what they're going to do when they retire in 15 years, none of them will give you an answer about what happens if they get injured, or lose form, none of them will give you an answer about what they're doing with their money, other than buying cars and clothes.

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 01 Sep 2018 at 11:37pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

if i hear hes only 19 one more time i will fcking explode. Exactly hes 19 not ten. If you dont know your own mind at 19 you never will. Thats a bullsh*t argument.

Most 19 year olds don't "know their own mind" though, do they? You ask our average 19 year old what their plans for they're life are and they'll tell you they haven't a clue. Most couldn't tell you what the next 6 months holds let alone their distant future, they're still learning day by day.

He's not your average 19 year old, that's the point. 

He was to flying around Europe at 16 to play underage international football for Ireland. Yeah, that sounds like your average teenager's life alright

His adult life has been accelerated given his career. Don't use the 19 year old as an excuse. It's a cop out. 

Incidentally, ask most 19 year old footballers their plans for the foreseeable future, and I'm sure you'll get a pretty solid answer.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 10:06pm

if i hear hes only 19 one more time i will fcking explode. Exactly hes 19 not ten. If you dont know your own mind at 19 you never will. Thats a bullsh*t argument.

Well the argument *is* a valid one. He is still an underage player and would be eligible for the under 21s for another year or two. A 26 year old prevaricating like this would be given much less leeway by an international manager.

He needs to put this to bed immediately though. He's not an uncapped player, he's a full international who refused to make himself available for a competitive match. If he refuses a call up for October, then he is surely out of the team for good.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 10:06pm

Most 19 year olds don't "know their own mind" though, do they? You ask our average 19 year old what their plans for they're life are and they'll tell you they haven't a clue. Most couldn't tell you what the next 6 months holds let alone their distant future, they're still learning day by day.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Interesting last few comments there. People seem to have fixated on the choice Rice has to make, as if Ireland or the manager have no role whatsoever in this situation. As badly off as we are, any player who refuses a call up shouldn't be selected again. I'm very surprised that hasn't been the hard line taken by everyone on this. Manager and fans alike.

I know it could well be a tough decision for Rice personally. He could well love playing for Ireland and has just had his head turned (and may decide to carry on playing with us, even though I doubt there's any real chance of that). Ireland and MON might badly need him in terms of having a quality player to choose from given the current weakness of our squad. All of these could be valid statements, but they should not matter a lot in the context of this situation. Any player refusing a call up should never be considered again. I actually think we are disgracing ourselves waiting for a decision on this. Much as we did with Grealish to a lesser extent. The decision should be well and truly taken out of a players hand the minute a call up is refused for spurious reasons.
We mightn't agree on Glen Whelan but 100% agree with you here! Even listening on radio today to pundits saying give him time to make his choice he might come back to us yet as you say he shouldn't be called up again it's making a mockery of us! Grealish actually looks honourable now 

I can live with a player having a wobble (he could argue that his head was muddled for a couple of weeks) but Rice really needs to set the record straight very quickly. He is a current senior Irish international who the manager wants to pick, he needs to inform MON within a week or two of what he intends to do.

If he's planning on taking a few months, then he has no future with Ireland anyway. I would make allowances for the fact that he is only 19, even though the current situation is very unfortunate and I think he has been very badly advised by whatever clowns he is in contact with.

Well of course we'd think he's been badly advised, we want him in our starting lineup. From his sides POV, there's no real downside to this. If England take him, he'll have increased his career earnings at the stroke of a pen, and if he opts to stick with us he'll walk straight back into our team. From a non-Irish perspective, you could probably call his actions rational.
We're decent enough..
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 10:00pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Interesting last few comments there. People seem to have fixated on the choice Rice has to make, as if Ireland or the manager have no role whatsoever in this situation. As badly off as we are, any player who refuses a call up shouldn't be selected again. I'm very surprised that hasn't been the hard line taken by everyone on this. Manager and fans alike.

I know it could well be a tough decision for Rice personally. He could well love playing for Ireland and has just had his head turned (and may decide to carry on playing with us, even though I doubt there's any real chance of that). Ireland and MON might badly need him in terms of having a quality player to choose from given the current weakness of our squad. All of these could be valid statements, but they should not matter a lot in the context of this situation. Any player refusing a call up should never be considered again. I actually think we are disgracing ourselves waiting for a decision on this. Much as we did with Grealish to a lesser extent. The decision should be well and truly taken out of a players hand the minute a call up is refused for spurious reasons.
We mightn't agree on Glen Whelan but 100% agree with you here! Even listening on radio today to pundits saying give him time to make his choice he might come back to us yet as you say he shouldn't be called up again it's making a mockery of us! Grealish actually looks honourable now 

I can live with a player having a wobble (he could argue that his head was muddled for a couple of weeks) but Rice really needs to set the record straight very quickly. He is a current senior Irish international who the manager wants to pick, he needs to inform MON within a week or two of what he intends to do.

If he's planning on taking a few months, then he has no future with Ireland anyway. I would make allowances for the fact that he is only 19, even though the current situation is very unfortunate and I think he has been very badly advised by whatever clowns he is in contact with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 307>
  Share Topic