You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wales - Nations League - General Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 52>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Guideddaffodill Guideddaffodill wrote:

O and also, is it always a "gamble" to book flights and accommodation before you get a ticket to avoid the high prices?

You have probably picked the worst game to go to as your first game with a view to getting tickets.   

For this campaign there was no issue with tickets for any of the games and there won't be an issue with tickets for the Georgia game either.

There were also slight issues with Austria away.
Sponsored Links

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:02pm
When's the portal open for this game, Very quiet ať tis point! And if I've no joy il be flogging 2 nights (triple room) in Hilton by Cardiff arms for 300 euro.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

When's the portal open for this game, Very quiet ať tis point! And if I've no joy il be flogging 2 nights (triple room) in Hilton by Cardiff arms for 300 euro.

Would imagine it'll be after the Georgia game in September.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 8:24pm
I have been trying to get my head around cheap trains form Paddington to Cardiff on the 8th Oct around noon . Now it's within 90 days and yet it's never moved price wise from £44.20 one way .
Anyone can find something better please ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I have been trying to get my head around cheap trains form Paddington to Cardiff on the 8th Oct around noon . Now it's within 90 days and yet it's never moved price wise from £44.20 one way .

Give it another week or two. They release tickets 12 weeks in advance but sometimes the cheaper tickets come out 10/11 weeks before the day of travel. If you search a few Sundays in September you'll see there's cheaper tickets available there and that would be a busier time of year. Also, book direct with Great Western (the Trainline will charge a booking fee). 

Edited by irish_goat - 18 Jul 2017 at 9:12pm
JimmyJohnstone View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimmyJohnstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:26am
just got this from trainline

Hello,

We are pleased to inform you that advance single tickets for your single journey from Cardiff Central to Birmingham International on 10 October 2017 are now available to buy on  https://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/passedin.aspx?ori=Cardiff+Central&dest=Birmingham+International&outHourField=12&outMinuteField=00&outDate=10-10-2017&oadInd=Dep&jt=Single&noa=1&noc=0&override_handoff=MATRIX&utm_source=ticket&utm_medium=email&utm_term=trainline_standard&utm_campaign=Tickets - Trainline.com.

The cheapest advance single ticket we found for you was £17.00. This price was last checked on 19 July 2017.

These great value fares sell fast, so book now to save.

Kind regards,

Trainline.com

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by irish_goat irish_goat wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Give it another week or two. They release tickets 12 weeks in advance but sometimes the cheaper tickets come out 10/11 weeks before the day of travel. If you search a few Sundays in September you'll see there's cheaper tickets available there and that would be a busier time of year. Also, book direct with Great Western (the Trainline will charge a booking fee). 
Thanks IG Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by JimmyJohnstone JimmyJohnstone wrote:

just got this from trainline

Hello,

We are pleased to inform you that advance single tickets for your single journey from Cardiff Central to Birmingham International on 10 October 2017 are now available to buy on  https://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/passedin.aspx?ori=Cardiff+Central&dest=Birmingham+International&outHourField=12&outMinuteField=00&outDate=10-10-2017&oadInd=Dep&jt=Single&noa=1&noc=0&override_handoff=MATRIX&utm_source=ticket&utm_medium=email&utm_term=trainline_standard&utm_campaign=Tickets - Trainline.com.

The cheapest advance single ticket we found for you was £17.00. This price was last checked on 19 July 2017.

These great value fares sell fast, so book now to save.

Kind regards,

Trainline.com

Got that e-mail as well having signed up for the alert months ago, bought a ticket for that price straight away. Better than paying more than £55, that's for sure. LOL

I've also signed up for the alert for the Brum-Cardiff train for the previous day but haven't got any e-mails for it yet. I would have thought that would come through first? Confused

Edit: Just had a look at National Rail website and there are cheaper tickets for Monday 9th Oct, just bought one for £22. Strange that I didn't get an e-mail alert for that one.

Edited by ConorMac77 - 19 Jul 2017 at 1:39pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:35pm
Cheers for the heads up.
The dark side.. And the light
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Cheers for the heads up.
You're welcome. Thumbs Up
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:45pm
Got it for £22. On the 9.45 which is far better then the bus that was at 7.30.
Could have made the 10.45 but didn't want to be hungover and be panicking for 2 hours that I'm going to miss my flight.
The dark side.. And the light
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:01pm
Cheapest I can find is £61 return and the trains that suit me go to Bristol then bus from there to Cardiff...Can hire a car for €20 still so will probably take that option
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Got it for £22. On the 9.45 which is far better then the bus that was at 7.30.
Could have made the 10.45 but didn't want to be hungover and be panicking for 2 hours that I'm going to miss my flight.
Good stuff, even if I got it for £17. Big smile.

I'm on that 9.45am train as well actually. Sure, there'll be a bit more hanging round at the airport but, as you say, better safe than sorry. I'd hate to be cutting it fine getting to and through any airport, even one that I'd be familiar with.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Cheapest I can find is £61 return and the trains that suit me go to Bristol then bus from there to Cardiff...Can hire a car for €20 still so will probably take that option
Is there no train from bristol to cardiff sham?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

I only searched briefly for Birmingham to cardiff and thats what came back. Bus is an hour from Bristol, not the end of the world but car hire is for nothing.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:32pm
We are hiring an 8 seater and driving from Birmingham. Works put about 40.50€ each including fuel and parking

Also you can still fly thru Birmingham very cheap under €100 return so maybe the crowd going is over estimated as usual
I know nothing :-)
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

there is .. an hour , bus aint much better
Come on Irelind
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:52pm
Tbh, given the distance from Birmingham to Cardiff and the time, I'd rather just get the ferry.

The time difference isn't great.
Dublin City centre 09:00 - 09:30 Dublin Airport
Time for security and check in
Dublin Airport 10:45 - 11:50 Birmingham Airport
Time to get off the plane and to car hire etc etc
Birmingham Airport 12:30 - 15:00 Cardiff City centre

Six hours total.

Compared to the ferry
Dublin City centre 07:50 - 08:10 Dublin Ferryport
Time for check in
Dublin Ferryport 08:45 - 10:45 Holyhead
Holyhead 11:27 - 14:27 Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury 14:50 - 16:57 Cardiff

It's about 3 hours longer but it is only 55 euro total (not counting the cost to the port), compared to about 90 euro flying and renting a minibus.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 19 Jul 2017 at 4:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 52>
  Share Topic