You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 2nd September 2017 - General Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 49>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 1:32am
Have I understood correctly that the stadium is slap bang in the city centre and therefore walking distance from where most of us would likely be staying?
Sponsored Links

colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 2:48am
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

Have I understood correctly that the stadium is slap bang in the city centre and therefore walking distance from where most of us would likely be staying?
nope, you'll need to get a mental taxi driver
Braveheart View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braveheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:05am
A couple of years ago I was there with Scotland but used an opportunity to travel all around for a week. Lovely country, very nice people, great food and very cheap.

If anyone is staying a few days in Tbilisi, I can highly recommend some of tours offered by Envoy hostel there http://www.envoytours.com/georgia/tours/ - I did two of those (Embracing Georgia and Essential Georgia) and we also arranged our own Mtskheta tour before we were dropped in front of the stadium.

In any case, enjoy Tbilisi! I wish I could be there again Wink

Edited by Braveheart - 21 Aug 2017 at 11:05am
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Braveheart Braveheart wrote:

A couple of years ago I was there with Scotland but used an opportunity to travel all around for a week. Lovely country, very nice people, great food and very cheap.

If anyone is staying a few days in Tbilisi, I can highly recommend some of tours offered by Envoy hostel there http://www.envoytours.com/georgia/tours/ - I did two of those (Embracing Georgia and Essential Georgia) and we also arranged our own Mtskheta tour before we were dropped in front of the stadium.

Did you stay with Envoy Hostel?
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 1:25pm

we enjoyed your last trip to tbilisi too
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Clap
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 3:33pm
Anyone remember any good wine brands to drink? Or good wine bars? There's a microbrewery that's opened up since we were last out, so possibly some decent beer to be had. Black Dog Bar and Drunk Owl Bar are 2 city centre craft beer bars, also seems to be a brewpub called Bernard, just off Freedom Square. 
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:28pm
Not a brand, but the Saperavi grape was fairly common and the best I remember. Pretty tannic and flavourful, bit like a deep, southern French red. A great wine, if that's your thing. Went well with your typical meat heavy Georgian food.
You may have came across it in Moldova too, though it's a native Georgian grape.
City Till I Die
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by irish_goat irish_goat wrote:

Anyone remember any good wine brands to drink? Or good wine bars? There's a microbrewery that's opened up since we were last out, so possibly some decent beer to be had. Black Dog Bar and Drunk Owl Bar are 2 city centre craft beer bars, also seems to be a brewpub called Bernard, just off Freedom Square. 

Now we're talking
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
AVFCAnne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVFCAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by irish_goat irish_goat wrote:

There's a place called 8000 Vintages near the Medical University stop that's worth a visit.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

nope, you'll need to get a mental taxi driver

Other option is the metro from Freedom Square to Station Square (3 stops). Costs 20c per journey although you have to invest in an 80c metro card. Might go with this option myself as it means avoiding the taxis and the traffic. Plus there's likely to be a shop in the station to buy a few cans. 
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:38pm
Fckin wine, this is not rugby country for jaysis sake LOL
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:43pm
Word of warning regarding the metro. The Latin alphabet is non existent and there's no ticket machines or at least there was none at the metro stop near freedom square. I can't vouch for staff at the ticket office (if they're over the age of 40 then the chances of them speaking English is virtually zero) because we felt there was no point going any further when we hadn't a notion which stop was the one we wanted. I didn't see a "tube" map either. Bare in mind I'm someone who uses the London tube on a daily basis and have without issue used underground metros all over Europe. The underground in Tbilisi is one you need to do a bit of research on before embarking on your trip.

http://mapa-metro.com/mapas/Tbilisi/mapa-Metro_Tiflis.svg.png

You'll find a dual language tube map above.

Edited by colemanY2K - 21 Aug 2017 at 4:49pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Word of warning regarding the metro. The Latin alphabet is non existent and there's no ticket machines or at least there was none at the metro stop near freedom square. I can't vouch for staff at the ticket office because we felt there was no point going any further when we hadn't a notion which stop was the one we wanted. I didn't see a "tube" map either. Bare in mind I'm someone who uses the London tube on a daily basis and have without issue used underground metros all over Europe. The underground in Tbilisi is one you need to do a bit of research on before embarking on your trip.

Seems to have been upgraded now. English names used for all stations anyway. Guide to getting your card/ticket here
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:57pm
Ya it looks like they've done a bit of work with the signage. Think I'll give it a go myself. I was probably need to get to didube station next Friday if I decide to visit kazbegi.

Edited by colemanY2K - 21 Aug 2017 at 4:58pm
AKOT View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:59pm
[QUOTE=deebee]Walking tour of Tbilisi .

The start point for our tour is Freedom Square in front of the Old Town Hall (pink building with the clock tower on the top), at the Burberry store.
Friday 3pm 

Deebee 
Ringerbell +10
kevincronin2000 +1
Irelandfan +1
Horsebox
Hickster74 +1
Tyronebhoy
Irishmufc
SuperDave84 +1
cardwizzard
Gufct + 1
fr larry duff +1
Bogball
newrynyuk
Denis Vahey +6
JimmyJohnstone
CliffRichard
BabbsBalls
alane
AKOT
deebee View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by AKOT AKOT wrote:

[QUOTE=deebee]Walking tour of Tbilisi .

The start point for our tour is Freedom Square in front of the Old Town Hall (pink building with the clock tower on the top), at the Burberry store.
Friday 3pm 

Deebee 
Ringerbell +10
kevincronin2000 +1
Irelandfan +1
Horsebox
Hickster74 +1
Tyronebhoy
Irishmufc
SuperDave84 +1
cardwizzard
Gufct + 1