Posted By: administrator
Subject: Georgia - 2nd September 2017 - General Thread
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 11:15pm
Thumbs Up

Replies:
Posted By: baresi41
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 4:35pm
http://www.pixte.com/1230711/15-of-the-most-unfriendliest-cities-in-the-world/

I'm sure the people of Tbilisi would agree with the number one city on this list.. LOLLOL

-------------
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 4:55pm
Good to catch up with the legend Gocha over at eurofan again even if they somehow got revenge on us, will certainly be getting his advice for this again next year as fancy doing a few days out at the sea and seeing more than the inside of the hangar bar

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 4:58pm
Following our previous trip I heard from the grapevine that the American chick sold the hangar. I assume it and McLaren's will be the two auld haunts again for a lot of folk.

Well I hope so as I booked an apartment midway between the two pubs.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:01pm
Going to spend a night in Kutaisi before making my way to tiblisi for this one.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:04pm
Batumi is where the local Georgians go to party. Turkish airlines fly there from Ataturk. I'm sure there's a train or internal flight to Tbilisi. Superdave is the man for this.  Hangar Bar is fine match day or meetup point, but not the whole trip.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:06pm
I've seen online there's train between batumi and Tbilisi. Takes about 5 1/2 hours iirc.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:09pm
Yeah, there are trains. However, you need to bring your passport to buy tickets and you'll need to book them in advance. Coming back from Gori last time, they only had a couple of tickets left and most of us had to take the bus.

It'll be grand booked a day or so in advance, I reckon. And if not, there are plenty of buses.

-------------

Posted By: irish_goat
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 6:25pm
One thing I found about Tbilisi was that there was no real "centre" and bars/restaurants tended to just be scattered all over the place. There's a nice strip of places directly south of the Hanger bar, grand for food but there wasn't a wile pile of life about them for drinking. Didn't rate the Hanger bar much myself in saying that.

Just remembered today how awful the taxis are in Tblisi. No one seems to know where anywhere is and we struggled to get taximen to understand even when we presented the street names in 3 different languages and showed them on a map!  

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 6:48pm
Ya taxi drivers are brutal for directions over there and their driving leaves a lot to be desired to say the least

-------------

Posted By: OscarDelta
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Ya taxi drivers are brutal for directions over there and their driving leaves a lot to be desired to say the least

Any chance of getting them to come to Dublin and give Taxi drivers some lessons.

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

most drivers knew the Betsy so ok for going home at night, we used the hotel driver from the hotel all the time so no problems there

definitely not going back to Gori, but would recommend it  train down and we got a mini bus back from the train station for a tenner a head 

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: Monaghan abu
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 9:56pm
was in tbilisi last week and rebecca is still very much in charge  in hangar ,had big 4 july party

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by irish_goat irish_goat wrote:

One thing I found about Tbilisi was that there was no real "centre" and bars/restaurants tended to just be scattered all over the place. There's a nice strip of places directly south of the Hanger bar, grand for food but there wasn't a wile pile of life about them for drinking. Didn't rate the Hanger bar much myself in saying that.

Just remembered today how awful the taxis are in Tblisi. No one seems to know where anywhere is and we struggled to get taximen to understand even when we presented the street names in 3 different languages and showed them on a map!  

Didn't like the Hangar much either, McClarens was a grand spot though, but couldn't really take a huge crowd, service got a lot slower for those not sitting at the bar. Not that I really cared, as I was sitting at the bar, for about 6 days I think. 

Taxis, I would agree & disagree at the same time, we had a fella who brought meself, Reddladd, Kilcruise & Gerrupoutofthat to the wrong stadium (there are 2 football stadiums in Tbilisi, and the other one is a small venue, which was unsurprisingly empty, at the complete other end of the city) . 

Yer same man didn't exactly spare the horses getting to the wrong stadium, doing speeds of about 90 mph in an old battered Mercedes, and much weaving in & out of traffic at the same time,  but when he realised his mistake, and with only 30 minutes to go to kick off, in rush hour traffic, he went to an entirely different level of lunacy altogether, it was quite enjoyable, if you get an oul buzz from being seconds away from certain death, which I seemingly do, even if I hadn't realised it up to that point. Wouldn't say I would necessarily look forward to doing it again, but as a one off experience, I wouldn't knock the Tbilisi taximen...........

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 11:05am
Just down from Betsy's, thought this was hilarious. Can't remember the hotel on opposite side of the street from this car, but plenty of our lads in there. Rebecca still there, I hope the the girls still have the tartan mini's on..

-------------

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Didn't like the Hangar much either, McClarens was a grand spot though, but couldn't really take a huge crowd, service got a lot slower for those not sitting at the bar. Not that I really cared, as I was sitting at the bar, for about 6 days I think. 

Taxis, I would agree & disagree at the same time, we had a fella who brought meself, Reddladd, Kilcruise & Gerrupoutofthat to the wrong stadium (there are 2 football stadiums in Tbilisi, and the other one is a small venue, which was unsurprisingly empty, at the complete other end of the city) . 

Yer same man didn't exactly spare the horses getting to the wrong stadium, doing speeds of about 90 mph in an old battered Mercedes, and much weaving in & out of traffic at the same time,  but when he realised his mistake, and with only 30 minutes to go to kick off, in rush hour traffic, he went to an entirely different level of lunacy altogether, it was quite enjoyable, if you get an oul buzz from being seconds away from certain death, which I seemingly do, even if I hadn't realised it up to that point. Wouldn't say I would necessarily look forward to doing it again, but as a one off experience, I wouldn't knock the Tbilisi taximen...........

really enjoyed our in depth chat on the flight from Tbilisi to Istanbul

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:48pm
Ha !! LOL

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: irish_goat
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 11:11am

Similar experience ourselves and we weren't in any rush yet your man still felt the need to overtake on a roundabouts whilst doing 50kmh. No need for indicators over there when you can just beep the horn as well, apparently. My fears were only made worse when I realised right behind my seat was a massive gas tank that was running the car. 

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 11:17am
we were overtaking on blind corners at 120kph+, thebronze egging him on he was so drunk, myself and philiyk in the back waiting to dieLOL

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 12:14pm

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Yer same man didn't exactly spare the horses getting to the wrong stadium, doing speeds of about 90 mph in an old battered Mercedes, and much weaving in & out of traffic at the same time,  but when he realised his mistake, and with only 30 minutes to go to kick off, in rush hour traffic, he went to an entirely different level of lunacy altogether, it was quite enjoyable, if you get an oul buzz from being seconds away from certain death, which I seemingly do, even if I hadn't realised it up to that point. Wouldn't say I would necessarily look forward to doing it again, but as a one off experience, I wouldn't knock the Tbilisi taximen...........</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Similar experience ourselves and we weren't in any rush yet your man still felt the need to overtake on a roundabouts whilst doing 50kmh. No need for indicators over there when you can just beep the horn as well, apparently. My fears were only made worse</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> when I realised right behind my seat was a massive gas tank that was running the car. </span>

Had similar experience(s). On first occasion we were on a dual carriageway with two lanes. As we approached a tunnel the taxi driver overtook a car. The other car sped up so there was 3 cars abreast entering a tunnel with just two lanes. It was like who's going to chicken out first   ...the other fella did

On second occasion we were on the way to the airport. For those old enough to remember the Streets of San Francisco ...well the journey was a bit like the car chases in that show

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq4EfqDZ1nc" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq4EfqDZ1nc

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 12:21pm
Taxi from the airport.. brakes or no brakes into a lovely tight bend, and we'd only arrived in the place, after emptying the bar in Istanbul SAW. So a ceid mile failte to Tbilisi. Carl Maldron from the streets of San FranciscoThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 2:01pm
I was in a cab that was going down a main road in Tbilisi (the one that had the big grass embankment running along the middle of it) when the driver skids, swerves, but still hits, an Irish lad that had climbed down from the embankment in order to cross the road. The driver to be fair to him was out of his car like a shot to drag the unconscious Irish lad over to the edge of the road so he wouldn't be driven over by any oncoming traffic. The lad was taken away by ambulance and I heard afterwards that thankfully he was OK. Lucky lucky boy though. Overall a pretty nerve-racking experience!

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 3:42pm
Jaysus, that's a mad one Paulie.
Thought you were going to say the driver dragged him to the side of the road threw him on the verge and just got back in and drove on. Wouldn't have surprised me.
After the trip to the stadium with deise I had visions of Rigney, the local undertaker, coming along with his measuring tape!

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 10:31pm
Think will go via Warsaw, Turkey sounds a bit problematic.

Posted By: bannerboy95
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 5:19pm
Think I will leave the stopover in Istanbul off now surely there's a few other routes to navigate around

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by bannerboy95 bannerboy95 wrote:

Think I will leave the stopover in Istanbul off now surely there's a few other routes to navigate around

Via Warsaw seems to be a good route.

Pity Ireland' sponsors don't put in flights.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 5:45pm

just picked random dates in November this year
15/11 ryanair Dublin - Milan (bgy) €25
16/11 wizz air Milan  (bgy) - Kutaisi € 40

return
19/11 Kutaisi - Sofia (wizz air) €25
19/11 Sofia - Dublin (ryanair) €32

TOTAL Euro 122 return flights to georgia

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by OscarDelta OscarDelta wrote:

No demand for a charter as charters are naturally.much more.expensive

Loads of different ways to.get there with various airlines

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

following Ireland definitely improves your geography, ask any Joe soap where Tuzla, Iasi, Bacau ,or Kutaisi are and they will think your off your game.

-------------

Posted By: cathalb96
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

low cost to Kutaisi with wizz air, from Dortmund, Berlin, Memmingen, Vilinus, Katowice, Warsaw Chopin, Sofia, Milan. plenty of options.

return

Holy Jaysus

-------------
Cathal Bourke

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 6:27pm

low cost to Kutaisi with wizz air, from Dortmund, Berlin, Memmingen, Vilinus, Katowice, Warsaw Chopin, Sofia, Milan. plenty of options.

return

could be tempted by Kutaisi if I cannot find a reasonably cheap route to Yerevan.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 6:39pm
Some of the posts on this thread

We got a taxi in from the airport and he must've been doing at least 120mph, no seatbelt on, no indicating and told us he was stopping off for petrol. Him and his mate from the petrol station smoking by the pumps leaning up against the car with us 3 inside waiting on him

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 9:28pm
"David the Builder Kutaisi International Airport"

LOL

But it's clearly a great option. Bergamo might be the best option: there are two flights a day from Dublin to Bergamo, early morning and late evening. Berlin as well could be handy: never been there, so a day or two stopover there on the way back might be the business.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 10:22pm

Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

following Ireland definitely improves your geography, ask any Joe soap where Tuzla, Iasi, Bacau ,or Kutaisi are and they will think your off your game.

Or where turners cross is Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:51pm
Just realised that Wizzair fly Katowice - Kutaisi.
Therefore Dub (or London)  - KTW - Kutaisi is possible
and then a train to Tblisi.

Based on current flight times there is a flight from KTW that leaves at midnight and gets in there around 6am, 3 days a week.

Coming home times not great so Tblisi - Warsaw sounds best option.
Means pick up my littlie so he comes to the game...................

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 11:56pm
Was looking at making a bit of a holiday out of this trip has anyone been to the costal resort of Batumi? Also what's the story with border crossing into Russia if one was to spend a few days in Sochi

-------------

Posted By: brendy_éire
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 1:43pm

Was looking at making a bit of a holiday out of this trip has anyone been to the costal resort of Batumi? Also what's the story with border crossing into Russia if one was to spend a few days in Sochi

Batumi is a strange oul place. Along the coast, you've got the big casinos and hotels, lovely promenade, nice beach, water/light shows, etc. Walk 200m inland and it gets pretty rundown pretty quickly. The main bus 'station' and the square it's on are dreadful looking. Roads and footpaths are covered in potholes and the like.
In saying that, we'd a great time there. It's touristy enough, though most of the tourists are Turkish and Iranian. The weather at that time of year will be warm, and it'd be a nice spot for a few days relaxation.
Also, dirt cheap outside the casinos. We were paying about 35c a pint, meals were about €2-3.

A wee tip, if you're flying via Istanbul, it's cheaper to book a flight to Artvin/Hopa, than to Batumi. Artvïn/Hopa is priced as a domestic flight, which lands at Batumi followed by a bus back across the border. But instead, just walk through to the Georgian immigration desk. Can save you a decent amount, but don't check in a bag.

For Sochi, you'll need a Russian visa, which is a bit of a pain.

-------------
City Till I Die

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 6:45pm
Thanks Brendy

-------------

Posted By: Gearoid101
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 2:02pm
Where is everyone staying? 

Need to book flights too

Only 361 days to kick off!! Clap

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 4:53pm
Having heard such good things about the Georgian people. I'll make this trip.

Might look into spending a few extra days there while I'm at it. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:32pm
Our Georgian friend Vepkhistqaosani (who I thought was TJ in disguise) has kindly sent me this link from Georgian TV. It's a report on the Ireland and Wales games. Now we won't understand a word of course but there's some clips of Irish fans who we may know.

In particular the father and son at 1.07 would get some kick out of it I'm sure if anyone knows them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HQUZlQAoQ0" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HQUZlQAoQ0

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:29am
[QUOTE=Hickster74]Our Georgian friend Vepkhistqaosani (who I thought was TJ in disguise) has kindly sent me this link from Georgian TV. It's a report on the Ireland and Wales games. Now we won't understand a word of course but there's some clips of Irish fans who we may know.

In particular the father and son at 1.07 would get some kick out of it I'm sure if anyone knows them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HQUZlQAoQ0%5b/QUOTE" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HQUZlQAoQ0[/QUOTE ]

And Borat at 1:17 LOL

To be fair the Georgians brought 2 more fans than I thought they originally did.

-------------

Posted By: manchesterbhoy
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 9:52am
If we take wales and austria at home depending on wales v serbia how close to qualification would this match be ?

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:14am
Originally posted by manchesterbhoy manchesterbhoy wrote:

If we take wales and austria at home depending on wales v serbia how close to qualification would this match be ?

There would be 9 points left to play for with 3 games left (if we were to win) Can't see us being 10 points clear at that stage tbh

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

There would be 9 points left to play for with 3 games left (if we were to win) Can't see us being 10 points clear at that stage tbh

6 really as we aren't going to lose at home to Moldova the groups is far from done but we can dream

A win at home v Serbia which won't be easy could see a major party in Dublin on the Monday night but when do we do things easily

Posted By: tarmac360
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 1:02pm
Anyone booked this trip recently? Looking to manage 3 nights away and looking at flights this morning. 
One stop flights via Munich costing up near €600...that's just from skyscanner/google flights though. Wondering if anyone has found a better/cheaper route flying in to Tbilisi itself?

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 2:00pm

6 really as we aren't going to lose at home to Moldova the groups is far from done but we can dream

A win at home v Serbia which won't be easy could see a major party in Dublin on the Monday night but when do we do things easily

Gave me a fright there. The Serbia game is on Tuesday not Monday. We'd have been in trouble as we don't get back from Georgia until Tuesday afternoon!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Gave me a fright there. The Serbia game is on Tuesday not Monday. We'd have been in trouble as we don't get back from Georgia until Tuesday afternoon!

Sorry blame the shams I was with at the weekend telling me it was Monday even better it's the Tuesday

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 3:15pm

Sorry blame the shams I was with at the weekend telling me it was Monday even better it's the Tuesday

Posted By: batchbread
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 1:28pm
Just noticed that there is a direct flight from Riga to Tbilisi on 31 Aug. May be of interest to some people 

Posted By: Denis Vahey
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:44am
Photos from Vienna  http://www.denisvahey.com/blog-" rel="nofollow - http://www.denisvahey.com/blog-

If you'd like to take part in this portrait series in Tblisi, contact me at denis@denisvahey.com 

Posted By: manulike
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:08pm
I only just realised that you have a perfect record v Georgia (played 8 won 8).
Considering they are our bogey team (played 4, lost 3 drew 1) ...
Chapeau!

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 9:54am
Originally posted by manulike manulike wrote:

I only just realised that you have a perfect record v Georgia (played 8 won 8).
Considering they are our bogey team (played 4, lost 3 drew 1) ...
Chapeau!

Might be broken next year mind LOL

Our last 4 games to them were really touch and go if truth be told even though we won them.

One the worst hometown penalty decisions I ever seen (and this is coming from a United fan) was the one we got against them in the World Cup 2010 campaign but we more than paid for that in Paris. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 9:58am
Originally posted by batchbread batchbread wrote:

Just noticed that there is a direct flight from Riga to Tbilisi on 31 Aug. May be of interest to some people 

Which airline?

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:34am
Baltic i'd say.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Baltic i'd say.

Yep that seems to be the one, question is is the Ryanair Riga the same airport or is it Riga airport which is actually in Estonia

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:58am
They're not that strict on Baltic anyway LOL That's how we went there last time

You could be going in on a stretcher and they'd still let you on the plane

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 3:43pm
Sometimes its cheaper to book gatwick to tbilisi via riga with air baltic than it is to book riga to Tbilisi. Strange but true. Same applies to Amsterdam and Rome

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 12:04am
Is it possible to enter South Ossetia from Georgia or is it still only possible to enter from Russia.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 4:18pm

Is it possible to enter South Ossetia from Georgia or is it still only possible to enter from Russia.
only from Russia and you must have permission from the south Ossetian authorities before you even make the trip.

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 4:36pm

DFA.ie says no.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 12:53pm
No it is so :)

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:19pm
So you'd need a Russki visa to get in and you can't pick those up at the border, only in advance, and only with a heap of hassle.

I just hope for all the Russian embassies' sake that the Russian government follow through with their promises and treat world cup tickets as visas and don't have tens of thousands of extra visa applications to deal with in the lead up to the tournament.

-------------

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

So you'd need a Russki visa to get in and you can't pick those up at the border, only in advance, and only with a heap of hassle.

I just hope for all the Russian embassies' sake that the Russian government follow through with their promises and treat world cup tickets as visas and don't have tens of thousands of extra visa applications to deal with in the lead up to the tournament.

Think the agreement already been signed to say any fans attending the finals that have tickets will be allowed to visit the country for duration of the tournament. They did similar thing for the winter Olympics in sochi and seemed to work alright

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:43pm

I hope we are all still worried about this in a year's time.

They have the visa waiver in place for the Confederations Cup so it will surely follow.  

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I hope we are all still worried about this in a year's time.

They have the visa waiver in place for the Confederations Cup so it will surely follow.  

yes that will be the case

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:42pm
FYI. Georgia is moving to a Spring to Autumn season from this year, not sure if they do international breaks but with a few making a couple of days out of this trip and visiting places like Kutaisi and Batumni it may be worth checking out nearer the time if there are fixtures on.

-------------

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:44am
Will be flying into Kutaisi and staying in Georgia for a week. 
Anyone have any advice on what to do for the time i'm there, was planning on maybe staying in kutaisi for 3 days then heading to tblisi. How does one travel around in Georgia?
How do I get over the language barrier? I'm assuming in kutaisi there aren't maybe english speakers?

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Anyone have any advice on what to do for the time i'm there, was planning on maybe staying in kutaisi for 3 days then heading to tblisi. How does one travel around in Georgia?
How do I get over the language barrier? I'm assuming in kutaisi there aren't maybe english speakers?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Good gang of us in Kutaisi on the Wednesday night and heading to Tbilisi on the Thursday, Think anymore than one night in Kutaisi are you may struggle to find it interesting as its not as lively as Batumi or Tbilisi. The Georgian sports museum is located in Kutaisi and if you have an interest in past glories of the soviet union and Georgia it might kill an hour for you. The Language barrier will be an issue take screenshots of the main phrases on google translate and save them to your phone. Just remember there are two railway stations in Kutaisi make sure you get to the right one if you plan on getting the train to Tbilisi.  Depending on what day you fly into Kutaisi it might be no harm heading to the costal resort of Batumi if you have a few days to spare or else head to Mtskheta a town located only 20km from Tbilisi.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 3:46pm
Heading to Kazbegi for a couple of days IM. A town in the mountains and close to the Russian border. Very scenic with glaciers, gorges, the caucasus mountains, famous churches/monasteries etc. Anyone with half decent fitness would be more than able for the walks.

It's 3 hours from Tbilisi in a minibus taxi (matrushka). Didube station is where you need to get to get the matrushka.

Anyone over 40 is likely to have minimal English at best. The younger folk have a good grasp of the language.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 4:30pm
Would be up for a night in Kazbegi to break up the trip.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Pearse1879
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 11:27pm
Just wondering lads we are only arriving back on the Tuesday afterwards for Serbia game. But we will still have our grip backs from Georgia there wouldn't be a problem getting these into stadium would there? Or will they have to be left in a bar or something?

Posted By: john-ybig
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:43pm
Yes Pearse! Grip bags can be held in the luggage room in the stadium! Big game ahead this should be a good one! Good chatting! YBIG

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:35pm
Time to panic..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/31/sausage-wielding-ultra-nationalists-attack-vegan-cafe-in-tbilisi/" rel="nofollow - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/31/sausage-wielding-ultra-nationalists-attack-vegan-cafe-in-tbilisi/

http://www.eurasianet.org/node/79006" rel="nofollow - http://www.eurasianet.org/node/79006

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Time to panic..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/31/sausage-wielding-ultra-nationalists-attack-vegan-cafe-in-tbilisi/" rel="nofollow - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/31/sausage-wielding-ultra-nationalists-attack-vegan-cafe-in-tbilisi/

http://www.eurasianet.org/node/79006" rel="nofollow - http://www.eurasianet.org/node/79006

The vegan fraternity within our fanbase must be sh*tting themselves. Dark days ahead.

Posted By: Lostandfound
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:56am

Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Time to panic..

The vegan fraternity within our fanbase must be sh*tting themselves. Dark days ahead.

Don't forget that the attackers really rubbed salt in when "finally they started to smoke". 

That was worse than pickpocketing.   

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 2:41pm
[QUOTE=Hickster74]Time to panic..

http://www.eurasianet.org/node/79006%5b/QUOTE" rel="nofollow - http://www.eurasianet.org/node/79006[/QUOTE ]

The more I read this article the more I like Tbilisi

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:22pm
Any local football games to take in while over here? One night in Berlin, Kutaisi and four in Tbilisi plenty of time outside of the pub to kill. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 12:58pm
We get into Tbilisi on the Thursday and there till the Monday so is there anything anyone that was there in 2014 would recommend doing apart from spending 4 days in the hangar bar

Know about the cable car in Tbilisi so will do most likely do that and looking into a trip to gori to visit the Stalin museum so is there anything else yous would recommend

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

We get into Tbilisi on the Thursday and there till the Monday so is there anything anyone that was there in 2014 would recommend doing apart from spending 4 days in the hangar bar

Know about the cable car in Tbilisi so will do most likely do that and looking into a trip to gori to visit the Stalin museum so is there anything else yous would recommend

There's also a funicular railway near the city centre. Didn't manage to try it out the last time but I'm sure it's worth having a look.

The sulphur baths are excellent. They're ancient and well worth checking out for a few hours. Great for the hangover. There's a few to choose from.

They have a zoo although I'm not sure how many animals they have left after a load escaped during flooding shortly after we were there. I think one of the escaped Tigers​ killed a member of the public.

Overall Tbilisi city centre is very nice and you could easily spend a day drifting around it. Mind you it's very hilly outside the city centre.

P.S. due to its strategic position the yanks have ploughed billions into Georgia. You'll see USAID badges on a lot of the new fancy buildings, cable car, bridges etc.

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 2:12pm
If lads are doing touristy type stuff, then drag me along ffs.... Can't do non stop drinking anymore like the last time.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:31pm
Uplistiskhe caves, Stalin museum Gori, day trip to Kazbegi, loads of options for day trips and things to do.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:57pm
The walking tour of the city is very good. We did it the last time and it was 5 or 6 hours long. Can't rightly remember but but we ended up in someones house looking at some old excavation in their back yard. Finished up at the old fortress. Great way to spend most of the day!

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

The walking tour of the city is very good. We did it the last time and it was 5 or 6 hours long. Can't rightly remember but but we ended up in someones house looking at some old excavation in their back yard. Finished up at the old fortress. Great way to spend most of the day!
5 or 6 hours? Jesus, there could be some lads struggling to keep up even after an hour after a night on the sauce. LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

If lads are doing touristy type stuff, then drag me along ffs.... Can't do non stop drinking anymore like the last time.

Leave me in the pub please.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 5:12pm
Some good tips here.
We've four nights here as well so flaking out swimming during the day is the plan. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Leave me in the pub please.

Me too

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:03pm

Uplistiskhe caves, Stalin museum Gori, day trip to Kazbegi, loads of options for day trips and things to do.
Them caves look quite cool, only concern would be bumping into ISIS training.LOLLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Gori - last time got the train down, good way to spend a day, but got minibus back, much faster and very cheap. There are minibuses for hire outside the railway station.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 11:20pm

Old age is a terrible thing LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 9:36am
3 of us are going via Athens, Aegean Airlines for this trip. Monday midnight to Athens, Thursday midnight to Tblisi, back same route 4 am monday. 

Posted By: davidearls123
Date Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:36am
Anyone able to give me a quick overview of the story with tickets?
How or where or when to get them?

Thanks!Smile

Posted By: brendy_éire
Date Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by davidearls123 davidearls123 wrote:

Anyone able to give me a quick overview of the story with tickets?
How or where or when to get them?

Thanks!Smile

You'll get them from the FAi, they'll probably announce details in August. You apply and pay through your FAI account.

-------------
City Till I Die

Posted By: SteveEvans
Date Posted: 10 May 2017 at 1:50am
Half looking into this as a trip. Best possible route to go?

Date Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by SteveEvans SteveEvans wrote:

Half looking into this as a trip. Best possible route to go?
Theres a travel and accom thread literally a few topics down the page from this one....

https://forum.ybig.ie/georgia-2nd-september-2017-travel-acomm_topic54264.html " rel="nofollow - https://forum.ybig.ie/georgia-2nd-september-2017-travel-acomm_topic54264.html  ;

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:54am
I think Specsavers should start advertising on the forum

Date Posted: 10 May 2017 at 10:03am
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

Sure most of them wouldn't see it anyway.....

Posted By: Lostandfound
Date Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:03am
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

LOL

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:19pm
We are thinking of heading to see this on the friday... its a 2  3 hour drive supposedly... We could get a minibus if others are interested
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katskhi_pillar" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katskhi_pillar

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net