You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 12th Oct 2019- Travel & Acomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 171>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

There seems to be a good few arriving on the Friday at 3:45 pm from the dam/Kiev is anyone organising a bus from the airport to freedom square?

Similar to above except arriving late on Thursday 31st- anyone on these flights below? again if enough 
bodies could we get a bus-minibus or share taxi's.

Ukraine International Airlines 102

Amsterdam (AMS)

13:15

flight to

Kiev (KBP)

17:05

2h 50m duration

3h 5m stop Kiev (KBP)

Ukraine International Airlines 517

Kiev (KBP)

20:10

flight to

Tbilisi (TBS)

23:55

2h 45m duration 

FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Sponsored Links

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Jaysus we booked Dublin Tbilisi with Turkish via Istanbul a few months back for just over €400. It's €950 now!

What day are you heading over? I'm taking that route on Wednesday.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by manulike manulike wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Anyone relying on trains to and from Kutaisi should be able to start booking them now. I've just booked the Thursday trains down from Rioni to Gori and Gori to Tbilisi (going to Uplistsikhe on the way). The Friday ones are also on sale now, as it's 40 days away.

The Sunday and Monday trains back up to Kutaisi will be going on sale on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively, as they all go on sale 40 days in advance.

http://tickets.railway.ge/Account/Register

You can change it to English in the top right corner.

Thanks for that, SD.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but:
Carriage with numbered reserver seats (Modern) = just a seat?
II Class (Modern) = plascartny dormitory 3-tier bunks
Compartment carriage (Modern) = coupe 4-beded lockable cabin
Soft-seated carriage (Modern) = spalny-wagon SV 2x single bed carriage

I do wish they would use the old Russian system on their site ;-)

I don't know, tbh. They don't offer bed linen with many, so I'm not sure.

I think the I Class and II Class (Modern) ones could be the new Stadler double deck trains they have there, with all seats, rather than compartment trains. I'm guessing entirely though.

They don't really run that many night trains. The compartment and soft-seated ones are likely sleeper style ones, with bed linen available as an extra. The numbered reserved seats one is likely plaskartny style bunks. There are some with "day coach" seats only, which are likely just one class only trains with seats.

Anyway, the important thing is that all the trains are compulsory reservation, so if you need to book one, it's better to do it now, as there is a chance they will get fully booked. I know that happened a few of us last time coming back from Gori to Tbilisi and we had to take a minibus instead.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:16pm
"Anyway, the important thing is that all the trains are compulsory reservation, so if you need to book one, it's better to do it now, as there is a chance they will get fully booked. I know that happened a few of us last time coming back from Gori to Tbilisi and we had to take a minibus instead." 

That's good info - We're still trying to decide whether to get the 12.15pm from Kutaisi or the 10.03 from Rioni on the Friday - Must decide soon and get them booked. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:24pm
It's only likely to be a problem on the day or the day beforehand.

If you get it done before you go, you should be fine.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:28pm
We looking at getting the 12:15pm train from kutaisi to Tbilisi on the 31st
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:36pm
Small bit of advice: that 12:15 train goes from Kutaisi to Rioni station where it joins another train then goes on to Tbilisi from there. It arrives in Rioni at 12:35 and doesn't leave til 13:00, after the other one gets that far and joins up.

It's only a ten or fifteen minute drive from Kutaisi down to Rioni station. So if you miss the 12:15 train from Kutaisi, no need to panic. Jump in a taxi before 12:45 and get down to Rioni and you'll catch it there.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:43pm

Small bit of advice: that 12:15 train goes from Kutaisi to Rioni station where it joins another train then goes on to Tbilisi from there. It arrives in Rioni at 12:35 and doesn't leave til 13:00, after the other one gets that far and joins up.

It's only a ten or fifteen minute drive from Kutaisi down to Rioni station. So if you miss the 12:15 train from Kutaisi, no need to panic. Jump in a taxi before 12:45 and get down to Rioni and you'll catch it there.

Good bit of helpful info, thanks sd, big gang of us on the 12.15 from kutaisi I
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:46pm

There seems to be a good few arriving on the Friday at 3:45 pm from the dam/Kiev is anyone organising a bus from the airport to freedom square?

Not really much need for that.
The airport bus goes every 20 minutes during the day, and goes via Freedom Square. It costs 0.5GEL, a whole 18 cent!

Edited by brendy_éire - 26 Jul 2017 at 2:47pm
City Till I Die
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by manulike manulike wrote:

Anyone relying on trains to and from Kutaisi should be able to start booking them now. I've just booked the Thursday trains down from Rioni to Gori and Gori to Tbilisi (going to Uplistsikhe on the way). The Friday ones are also on sale now, as it's 40 days away.

The Sunday and Monday trains back up to Kutaisi will be going on sale on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively, as they all go on sale 40 days in advance.

http://tickets.railway.ge/Account/Register

You can change it to English in the top right corner.

Thanks for that, SD.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but:
Carriage with numbered reserver seats (Modern) = just a seat?
II Class (Modern) = plascartny dormitory 3-tier bunks
Compartment carriage (Modern) = coupe 4-beded lockable cabin
Soft-seated carriage (Modern) = spalny-wagon SV 2x single bed carriage

I do wish they would use the old Russian system on their site ;-)

I don't know, tbh. They don't offer bed linen with many, so I'm not sure.

I think the I Class and II Class (Modern) ones could be the new Stadler double deck trains they have there, with all seats, rather than compartment trains. I'm guessing entirely though.

They don't really run that many night trains. The compartment and soft-seated ones are likely sleeper style ones, with bed linen available as an extra. The numbered reserved seats one is likely plaskartny style bunks. There are some with "day coach" seats only, which are likely just one class only trains with seats.

Anyway, the important thing is that all the trains are compulsory reservation, so if you need to book one, it's better to do it now, as there is a chance they will get fully booked. I know that happened a few of us last time coming back from Gori to Tbilisi and we had to take a minibus instead.

In fairness, the train was nice on the way down, and the minibus got s back much quicker and in a bit of comfort, good day though and highly recommended. 
I know nothing :-)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:50pm
Incidentally, if you book online, I think you do not necessarily need to give an ID number for every person travelling, once the lead person has given their ID number (passport number is enough). I think you can book 8 people on 1 ID card. The website says "A maximum of eight (8) E-Tickets can be purchased by one ID card to one direction" which I assume is what that means.

So there's probably no need to collect all the passport numbers before booking.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

The airport bus goes every 20 minutes during the day, and goes via Freedom Square. It costs 0.5GEL, a whole 18 cent!

We couldn't get taxis in the airport in Moldova, and about 30 of us bailed on to the airport bus, a 24 seater which then proceeded to pick up locals at all the stops on the way to the city centre.

From memory taxis were plentiful last time and only about a tenner, even getting ripped off was probably only €20 between 3/4 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

In fairness, the train was nice on the way down, and the minibus got s back much quicker and in a bit of comfort, good day though and highly recommended. 

The minibus is fine to and from Gori because it's mostly motorway. However, the motorway runs out about 25km after Gori and then it's a twisty road through the mountains. If it was only to and from Gori, I'd probably recommend the minibus. But from Kutaisi, I think the train is the better option.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 26 Jul 2017 at 2:54pm
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:55pm
The train will have toilets, that's one of the main advantages. 
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

From memory taxis were plentiful last time and only about a tenner, even getting ripped off was probably only €20 between 3/4 

Taxis are 20-30 GEL (€7-10) to the town centre. The prices are listed at the rank, so you shouldn't get ripped off.
My main concern with taking a taxi is that the driver will almost certainly not have a feckin clue where he is going and you'll end up spending ages driving randomly around the town.
You'd like to think that at least the bus driver should know their route. It is Georgia though....Confused
City Till I Die
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Jaysus we booked Dublin Tbilisi with Turkish via Istanbul a few months back for just over €400. It's €950 now!

Going Wednesday as well Paulie. 4.30pm from memory. 2 of us together on that route
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

Good man brendy
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Myself and Stretchryan will keep the Hanga open for you, and we can all have a boogieWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 171>
  Share Topic