You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 12th Oct 2019- Travel & Acomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 171>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:11am
Will need to nail the Georgian alphabet this time (it's not Cyrillic but their own unique alphabet). Getting to Gori by Marshrutka (minibus taxi) was a struggle ...and even though I had the aid of a Russian speaking lad travelling with me it was still difficult to find the correct marshrutka in the chaotic bus station.

Looking forward to Georgia as I really enjoyed it the last time we were there but would like to see more of the country and maybe a bit of Armenia or Azerbaijan as well. Time permitting of course.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:46am
Anyone thinking of staying a night or 2 in Batumi?

Probably going to take a full week for this one as there's too many flights & travelling to make it a 3 night trip. Going to need at least 2/3 days travelling alone Dead

Edited by irishmufc - 14 Oct 2016 at 8:49am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 9:38am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Will need to nail the Georgian alphabet this time (it's not Cyrillic but their own unique alphabet). Getting to Gori by Marshrutka (minibus taxi) was a struggle ...and even though I had the aid of a Russian speaking lad travelling with me it was still difficult to find the correct marshrutka in the chaotic bus station.

Looking forward to Georgia as I really enjoyed it the last time we were there but would like to see more of the country and maybe a bit of Armenia or Azerbaijan as well. Time permitting of course.
Y2Y something in the back of my mind tells me that one of those countries and Georgia that if you had a stamp in your passport you would not be allowed into the other . Now I think it's Azerbaijan but not sure , hey well worth checking up on this first off as I do remember one lad was put back on the plane in Armenia as he had a page missing from his passport .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Y2Y something in the back of my mind tells me that one of those countries and Georgia that if you had a stamp in your passport you would not be allowed into the other

Georgian stamps are fine. The Azeris won't let you in if you have a Nagorno-Karabakh stamp, and you might get some grief with an Armenian one too.

Think I'll do a night in Kutaisi for this one. There's not much to do in Tbilisi, and it seems a bit of a waste to travel that far and only stay one night. Was considering Sukhumi too, but it would involve quite a lot of travel.
Any other decent towns to visit? Been to Gori, but wouldn't recommended an overnight there.
City Till I Die
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:30am
You need a visa to go through Turkey right?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:34am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You need a visa to go through Turkey right?

Nope
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:36am
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

Y2Y something in the back of my mind tells me that one of those countries and Georgia that if you had a stamp in your passport you would not be allowed into the other

Georgian stamps are fine. The Azeris won't let you in if you have a Nagorno-Karabakh stamp, and you might get some grief with an Armenian one too.

Think I'll do a night in Kutaisi for this one. There's not much to do in Tbilisi, and it seems a bit of a waste to travel that far and only stay one night. Was considering Sukhumi too, but it would involve quite a lot of travel.
Any other decent towns to visit? Been to Gori, but wouldn't recommended an overnight there.

Isn't it Armenia & Azerbaijan that have some bad relations relating to territory or gas pipelines?  I don't think they can be drawn together in qualifying groups. Heard it somewhere before.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 12:13pm
Did a google image search on Mtskheta looks nice, near tiblisi and cheap as chips
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Isn't it Armenia & Azerbaijan that have some bad relations relating to territory or gas pipelines?  I don't think they can be drawn together in qualifying groups. Heard it somewhere before.

Bad relations is right ...they are technically at war.

I'm only considering going to one or the other. It would be too much traveling when you consider you can't travel directly between the two countries (travel via Georgia is the only way).

From what I read having a Armenian stamp is not a problem getting into Azerbaijan or vice versa but you may come a cropper trying to enter Azerbaijan with Nagorno Karabakh stamps on the passport. Anyway it won't be an issue for me. The bigger issue is trying to find a reasonably priced route to either Azerbaijan or Armenia from London (direct or indirect). From the limited research done I may have to settle for Georgia which ain't no bad thing I guess.

Edited by colemanY2K - 14 Oct 2016 at 12:28pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 12:32pm
Definitely going to Mtskheta, it's a more realistic option than Batumi which is 6 hours from Tblisi
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Definitely going to Mtskheta, it's a more realistic option than Batumi which is 6 hours from Tblisi

Only reason I'd go to Batumi is it's by the coast and wouldn't mind a few days on the beach before moving onto Tbilisi. That Mtskheta is very close to Tblisi and looks a good spot as well.
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:02pm

It's worth a visit, but not for an overnight.  It's only a small place, can't imagine there'd be much life about it in the evening.
Last time there we done a day trip to Mtskheta, Gori and Uplistsikhe, which was a town where the buildings were carved out of the stone on the side of a mountain.  It's pretty cool.
We just hired a taxi off the street for the whole trip, I think it was about €30ish for six hours or so.  Great value.
City Till I Die
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:25pm

It's worth a visit, but not for an overnight.  It's only a small place, can't imagine there'd be much life about it in the evening.
Last time there we done a day trip to Mtskheta, Gori and Uplistsikhe, which was a town where the buildings were carved out of the stone on the side of a mountain.  It's pretty cool.
We just hired a taxi off the street for the whole trip, I think it was about €30ish for six hours or so.  Great value.

Be worth visiting for a few hours and a few scoops anyway.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:46pm
https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/turkey/

So that is only if you want to step foot into the country??

Entry requirements (visa/passport)

All Irish citizens require a visa to enter Turkey.

In accordance with Turkish legislation, the practice of obtaining visas upon arrival to points of entry to Turkey is slowly being phased out. Visitors therefore are strongly advised to obtain an electronic visa prior to departure. You can do so online at: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en

All other travellers to Turkey should contact their nearest Turkish Embassy in advance of their visit to clarify their visa requirements. Contact details for the Turkish Embassy in Dublin are available at http://dublin.emb.mfa.gov.tr/ContactInfo.aspx

Six month passport validity is required from the date of entry to Turkey. Please check your passport in plenty of time before travel and if it needs to be renewed please see www.passport.ie

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:55pm
If you're transiting through the airport onto another flight you don't need a visa if that's what you're after
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

If you're transiting through the airport onto another flight you don't need a visa if that's what you're after

Thumbs Up
bannerboy95 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:45pm
Just been looking at this the last few days definately up for going just wondering when would be the best time to book hotel, flights?
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm
Book it now if you're going to go. It will take you a few weeks just to work out the best routes etc. Your best bet is to stay somewhere between the Old Town and the Hangar bar as that's where most will be. Betsy's is too far of a walk from this area particularly most of your time will be spent close to the Old Town. Plenty of other bars and cafes around there anyhow.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 171>
  Share Topic