You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 179>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:07pm
He has quality think the fact he’s not scoring regularly does effect him too. 

The Danny Welbeck comment above I get what he means as Connolly is our best attacker but I wouldn’t mind a player with the  CV Danny Welbeck has tbh.

I’d actually point to that to show just how hard it is for a young attacker to excel in the PL today that a bottom 6 PL club can go and get a player with the CV of Lallana or Welbeck. It’s just so competitive at the moment. 

Wolves a prime example Neto about the same age as Connolly and there’s talks of him being a star and destined for a big club etc he gets rave reviews. 

Neto has 4 goals and 3 assists in 27 this year. Compared to Connolly who has 2 goals and 2 assists in 13 games going by online. 

Last year ironically Connolly got 4 goals and 2 assists in 27 games. Neto got 5 goals and 5 assists in 44. 

It’s been stop start for Connolly and he can be very wasteful but he’s not doing as terrible as it might sound.

Edited by kevin100 - 13 Feb 2021 at 11:08pm
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

He has quality think the fact he’s not scoring regularly does effect him too. 

The Danny Welbeck comment above I get what he means as Connolly is our best attacker but I wouldn’t mind a player with the  CV Danny Welbeck has tbh.

I’d actually point to that to show just how hard it is for a young attacker to excel in the PL today that a bottom 6 PL club can go and get a player with the CV of Lallana or Welbeck. It’s just so competitive at the moment. 

I was thinking about how many English players who are uncapped, capped once or twice, or have been on the international scrapheap for years that would improve our squad.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 2:05am
A “poacher” is something we do need a player that will nick goals. 
Doesn’t have to be a superstar Glen Murray, Pukki or Mitrovic 3 examples of bottom 6 PL/high end Championship quality strikers who are just goalgetters and that’s more then good enough for international football as the latter 2s records attest to.

David Healy for the North likewise. 

Personally Idah is the most likely of our lot to be that but I’d be critical of Norwich they have handled his development poorly he should be after seeing a loan move this year or last Jan even to Top 10 League 1 team where he’d play every week and it would bring him on.

5/10/15 minutes off the bench is fine it’s minutes but it’s limited as far as getting goals and developing properly. 

Edited by kevin100 - 14 Feb 2021 at 2:10am
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Welbeck comes on ahead of Connolly with 10mins to go.

We really need to be considered minnows.

What do you even mean? Who else goes into this imaginary "minnows" category you have made up? 

And why would Connolly not coming on in a league game make us minnows? Welbeck has played for Arsenal and Man United. He has England caps. Connolly is a 20 year old striker. How many 20 year old strikers have played in the Premier League this year?

This fatalistic response to every slight on an Irish player by a Premier League manager is exhausting and mostly void of context. You're also the first poster in when a player isn't starting and marking them down as "dropped."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:35am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Brighton's 26 shots at goal, 9 shots in target and 0 goals in his absence suggests that Connolly probably isn't the issue here.

It's always somebody else's fault isn't it?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:38am

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Brighton's 26 shots at goal, 9 shots in target and 0 goals in his absence suggests that Connolly probably isn't the issue here.

Let's be honest given his record he's not really the solution either

He has only been given the full 90 minutes twice all season by Potter so it's impossible to know really. Impossible for him to develop when he's constantly being dropped, subbed off or given token minutes late in the game week after week.

The problem for Potter is that when he does play Connolly he just can't score, he's either failing to hit the target on a one on one, not hitting the target when he's inside the 5 yard box, and he still misses when there is no goal keeper there.

It's no surprise to see him look to other players to resolve these issues.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:52am
I would like to see him out wide on the left for Ireland as he has the pace to burn a full back , i don't see him as our main striker if i am honest 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Let's be honest given his record he's not really the solution either

He has only been given the full 90 minutes twice all season by Potter so it's impossible to know really. Impossible for him to develop when he's constantly being dropped, subbed off or given token minutes late in the game week after week.

The problem for Potter is that when he does play Connolly he just can't score, he's either failing to hit the target on a one on one, not hitting the target when he's inside the 5 yard box, and he still misses when there is no goal keeper there.

It's no surprise to see him look to other players to resolve these issues.

In all fairness, being wasteful isn't something unique to Connolly. Maupay and Welbeck are profligate as well. If Connolly wasn't in and out of the team constantly, starting one week and not getting off the bench the next, he'd probably have pretty much the same shot conversion as them.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 1:53pm

Well given that Connolly wasn't even playing it was hardly his fault was it? LOL
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 1:57pm

Well given that Connolly wasn't even playing it was hardly his fault was it? LOL

LOL
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:18pm
Wellbeck considered the better option off the bench. Depressing stuff

mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:24pm
maupay has been pretty poor imo too but seems to be way ahead of connolly in the pecking order
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:37pm
no game time for Connolly tonight 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:40pm
I'm just fascinated by a 6 foot 7 man playing left wing back anytime i watch Brighton
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

no game time for Connolly tonight 

Yeah Jahanbakhsh ahead of him too...

Well - connolly will be very well rested once we need him to be our best attacking option in a few weeks.
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:44pm
Man we really are in the doldrums right now
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:45pm
Needs a move 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:47pm
The 2 posters above will never have Covid, the most negative pair of spanners I’ve come across on here and that’s saying something 
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 179>
  Share Topic