You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 179>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:50pm
Connoly falling further down the pecking order, not surprising as his performances haven't been great.

Unlike Molumby I think he should fight for his place but needs a run of games.

Molumby should go on loan in the next few weeks.
Sponsored Links

Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:00pm
Turning into a bit of a bad season for him
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:06pm
He's probably better off going on loan in January or getting a full season of regular football next season somewhere else.

It's hard to build any sort of momentum when he barely ever gets consecutive starts.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:35pm
He is really not being helped by Potter with all the yanking him off at HT or the first player subbed and then left out etc. Must drain the confidence and pile pressure on him. I think he is really talented but he just isn't suited to Brighton's style of play either. He would be a great fit for a Leicester or a Southampton. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:40pm
His replacements didn't exact cover themselves in glory this evening anyway. He'll get back in but the problem is more down to the way Brighton are playing, it's hard to score goals with no decent service. Potter has needed to sort his midfield for a year now and hasn't done it. They're a terrible team to watch, would be relegated in other seasons but there are a lot of bad teams down the bottom of the league this year so they might get away with it.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Connoly falling further down the pecking order, not surprising as his performances haven't been great.

Unlike Molumby I think he should fight for his place but needs a run of games.

Molumby should go on loan in the next few weeks.

He was their best player against Liverpool a couple of weeks ago LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:15pm
No way wud brighton let Connolly go out on loan. No chance
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:23pm
Brighton are so poor and I just find it strange Bissouma struggled to break into the team for ages and Connolly now the same the first to be hooked they are such a passive team lacking aggressive players.

The reason why Connolly often looks the best player for them on the pitch like the Liverpool game is not that he’s better then Lallana Maupay Welbeck Trossard (all more experienced with better CVs) but because he’s aggressive and in a team that’s so passive it stands out. 

Would a loan to the Championship do him the world of good? Who knows he’s still getting game time for Brighton and you’d be surprised how a few goals would give him momentum.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:38pm
Possible falling out with the manager? Strange that neither Connolly or Maupay came off the bench when they needed a goal.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:47pm
Only seeing that there and Jahanbaksh was brought on who was very much playing 2nd fiddle to them all along. 

Maupay was dropped for an altercation recently and the rumours were it was Connolly involved last month. Connolly like Maupay is fiery so who knows. 

Definitely not all adding up is it about Maupay more then Connolly tbh Connolly with the calibre of player around him I’m not shocked he’s really a rotation option.

Edited by kevin100 - 16 Dec 2020 at 11:49pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Possible falling out with the manager? Strange that neither Connolly or Maupay came off the bench when they needed a goal.

That is amazing considering they are away to Fulham also. 2 of their best attackers. Strange
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 11:44am
I would see a lot of similarities between Potter and Kenny actually. Both set up teams in a way that looks really positive to begin with, but after a while you realise there isn't actually much to what they're doing that's worth getting excited about.

I suppose the main difference is that Potter has had a year and a half with Brighton now and has done nothing with them really whereas Kenny hasn't had as long with Ireland. But if the qualifiers continue in the same manner as the Nations League games went, he won't see out the year in the job.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I would see a lot of similarities between Potter and Kenny actually. Both set up teams in a way that looks really positive to begin with, but after a while you realise there isn't actually much to what they're doing that's worth getting excited about.

I suppose the main difference is that Potter has had a year and a half with Brighton now and has done nothing with them really whereas Kenny hasn't had as long with Ireland. But if the qualifiers continue in the same manner as the Nations League games went, he won't see out the year in the job.

All foreplay. No f###ing
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

All foreplay. No f###ing

It's incredible that teams like Spain, Germany, France, Brazil, Liverpool, man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid, bayern Munich, Belgium dont just play long ball rather than this passing rubbish.

They are successful teams now, but if they just lump it up field they would be soooo much more successful.

Even teams like Everton, Tottenham and Southampton should just lump it up field and will probably win the league.

How about in the championship, lump it to success... right? 

Are people really misremembering how bad long ball was for us? They then reference the lucky win we achieved against Germany while ignoring Denmark, Switzerland etc...

Or my favourite, qualifying for two tournaments, one of which was a total embarrassment while ignoring the failed attempts to qualify over the last 20 years...

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 1:39pm
Nothing wrong with playing the ball long, Liverpool scored a fair few goals from keeper to striker.

Big difference in just kicking it up field for the sake of it.

In relation to Connolly, he needs to start scoring goals, he's on the bench as he's not scoring, it's up to him to earn his place back in the side.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Stephen Kenny's start has been shocking. Just flick a switch and, hey presto, we're a possession-based unit. We needed a hybrid, a transition period. So many times the tip-tap was going nowhere, creating nothing, causing frustration. No Plan B whatsoever, no tactical flexibility. Kenny looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. He'll be playing the same players in March - if we fail to score yet again in the first two games he should resign. 

This is contrary to the facts.
We created far more chances per game than before and our finishing let us down.
We closed off our early defensive frailty and by keeping the ball far better, gave us more chances and the opposition less.

The negativity is based on results and sure, those who didn't watch the games could come to a negative conclusion.

Had Connolly scored v Slovakia, we'd be in a whole different world.
The margins are small and our improvement are there for anyone to see, if they open their eyes.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 3:36pm
I think if we'd scored against Slovakia we'd have ended up waving the Nordies off to the Euros to he honest.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Stephen Kenny's start has been shocking. Just flick a switch and, hey presto, we're a possession-based unit. We needed a hybrid, a transition period. So many times the tip-tap was going nowhere, creating nothing, causing frustration. No Plan B whatsoever, no tactical flexibility. Kenny looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. He'll be playing the same players in March - if we fail to score yet again in the first two games he should resign. 

This is contrary to the facts.
We created far more chances per game than before and our finishing let us down.
We closed off our early defensive frailty and by keeping the ball far better, gave us more chances and the opposition less.

The negativity is based on results and sure, those who didn't watch the games could come to a negative conclusion.

Had Connolly scored v Slovakia, we'd be in a whole different world.
The margins are small and our improvement are there for anyone to see, if they open their eyes.

Connolly didn't play v Slovakia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 179>
  Share Topic