You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 179>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Unpopular opinion here, but of all our young prospects coming through, for some reason I’m not as excited about Connolly 

His injury record is worrying. You can’t hold out as much hope for him if he is in and out of the squad from injury. I know today doesn’t appear to be the case but still, point is he hasn’t really had a run of games starting up front. 

Would you expect a 19 year old to have a run of games starting up front in the Premier league?

Can't think of one off top of my head. 

No and he has great promise. But I think since his debut he has missed 30-50% games through injury. It's a worrying trait is the point. I'm not writing him off but I'm worrying is he a sick note
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:29am
Was reading an article on the 42 by David Sneyd about Adam Idah and he only initially got his chance with the under 15 national team because Connolly had pulled out with injury. 

Since his debut, has he had to pull out 4 or 5 times due to injury? That has to be a worry. Apparently he spends a lot of time in the gym, but you'd have to wonder if he's doing the wrong things in there; focusing on bulking up too much rather than focusing on mobility, etc.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:57am
Him and Obafemi both have an unusual chunkiness for pro footballers and both seem to have the same susceptibility to injury problems.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Him and Obafemi both have an unusual chunkiness for pro footballers and both seem to have the same susceptibility to injury problems.

Apparently very muscular players can be prone to hamstring injuries.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 1:57pm
just read he wasn’t injured left out for tactical reasons

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:46pm
Yeah, not injured. On his body shape, I wouldn't say either himself or Obafemi are that overweight, they're both just short, so probably look stockier.
We're decent enough..
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Yeah, not injured. On his body shape, I wouldn't say either himself or Obafemi are that overweight, they're both just short, so probably look stockier.
Obafemi is built like a little power lifter and has struggled with a fair few injuries in his short career so far, not a good sign for one so young
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 8:20pm
Brighton u23 played today but no Connolly so I would think that means he's still part of the senior squad? 

Tottenham u23 played too and no parrott either. 

Seems both are in a limbo state
footballman View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footballman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:44pm
Connolly just wasn't in the squad for one game. No need to panic
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:26am
Connolly is being rested and rightly so. He has played a lot of minutes and with his all action style I would think that would put him at risk of groin and hamstring strains (i used to watch flying doctors so please don't question my medical knowledgeClown).

His goalscoring is a slight worry. Hope they don't turn him into the next shane long or kevin doyle i.e. using his work rate to continuously run the channels as opposed to turning him into an attacking weapon
It's not me it's you:-)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:38am
Were Doyle and Long turned into that, or was it because neither of them were ever natural finishers at the highest level?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:58am
Sounds like Brighton are prepared to let Glenn Murray leave on loan so I'd imagine that means that Connolly should be a first team squad member moving forward. 
Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm
What's a natural finisher though? We hear this time and again but is anybody born to score goals? It's about positioning and reactions in my opinion. This is something that's learned and developed. Often these 'natural finishers' offer little else to the team in general play but are generally in the right place at the right time more than anything - Inzaghi, Crespo etc

I hear what you're saying but for me the problem is that there's little room for a passenger in the Premier League as it's so competitive, so you need to put in a shift on top of your talent. No one is exempt from this. Even Aguero had to learn the hard way when Pep took over at City.

Now maybe Connolly zips around a bit more than that but one of his strengths is his pressing game and that doesn't necessarily mean he won't score goals. Look at Vardy. Connolly still has a lot to learn in that regard still.

Kevin Doyle spoke about this recently - that working so much off the ball affects your ability to do other aspects of the game as a striker and perhaps if he was playing in a top side who create lots of chances he would be able to direct his energies elsewhere for the most part but it's up to him to get to that level. Connolly seems fairly composed in front of goal, and I'm sure he'll learn how to balance his game over time. Lets hope so anyway.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 2:27pm
Back starting today playing up front for Brighton v Aston Villa
The only way is up
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 2:46pm
Good stuff
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:57pm
Clever run for the Brighton goal. Drew couple of defenders away from the ball to create the space for Trossard.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:04pm
Some of the replies to this are madness. "He's absolutely dreadful".. "Should never start for us again"

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

Some of the replies to this are madness. "He's absolutely dreadful".. "Should never start for us again"

Calling a spade a spade, he did next to nothing today and hasn't done anything since the Tottenham game. People forget he is only 19 (20 this month) though so lots of time on his side yet. 

Edited by grannyrule - 18 Jan 2020 at 10:58pm
The only way is up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 179>
  Share Topic